Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited January 2016

Josie, my response was a bit too direct for this general space, so I sent you a PM. One point I might repeat: While this guy is in such a volatile state, he is in no condition to try to "work it out." He should be alone with his parents and his doctors and his emotional pathology. As he attempted suicide, he should be in a hospital. Your daughter should be where she is given comfort, love, and support, and maybe a good talking to.

His parents absolutely need to know about the suicide attempt. There are no options here.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2016

I agree with Brookside Josie. Tell his parents. I would want to know. First hand experience from someone I know who tried to take his life and then changed his mind at the last minute. Fortunately he received treatment and meds. Btw he is bipolar too. A suicide attempt is a cry for help and not to be taken lightly.

It's hard, if not impossible, to steer our kids in the right direction sometimes. They hear but won't listen. I know that first hand too. A counselor told me to make sure we kept the lines of communication open. Sometimes they have to make their own mistakes but your DD's BFF has serious issues.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2016

Just want to echo the sentiments of the two wise women above. You definitely have a boy with problems here. Big ones. He can drag your DD down with him if she doesn't get away from the drama soon. Hugs.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2016

Hi, I hope everyone enjoyed the holiday season and are finding things getting back to normal (whatever that may be)...
    I am back to work and it is tiring; but I can do it.

Josie, so sorry about the ups and downs....I do wish your DD could get away on her own for awhile to think it through. I know first hand about the "slap then kiss" controlling nature. It leads to persistent denial of what is really going on.

It is not your decision but you can offer your daughter a place to stay. Speaking with his parents may seem like meddling; however, your daughter is under their roof and you can be proactive and protective. It is a very difficult road to follow the breakup path; but it can only help things in the long term.
    They are lacking the skills to problem solve and resolve their differerences.
    I think you have had enough advice. Sending hugs and prayers...
    Joan

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited January 2016

Joan,Thanks for the advice.I did ask her to come home but honestly she would have to share a bedroom with her lil sis.She said no thanks.Her Grandmother has told her she is more than welcome to move back but she said no since her boyfriend isn't welcome.

She has an interview today at a local lrestaurant.At least she is looking for work again.

BTW. Yesterday was my first day at my new job.It went well.The lady I'm replacing was pretty impressed with how familiar I was with their Electronic Medical record program.Its the same program I used at my previous job.I was already rooming patients.Now if I Could only get used to getting up so early.I was exhausted yesterday.I am going to bed earlier

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Always great to start a new job by wowing them with your expertise! So glad you just happen to be familiar with the software. Here's hoping this job will keep you happy for a long, long time.

Of course you''re exhausted. Not only is it a brand new job with all those stressors, but the situation with your DD has just got to be wearing you out all by itself. Here's hoping for a nice peaceful, joyful weekend to get you back on that even keel.

My annual mammo was yesterday, followed by an appointment with my surgeon. I have a little nodule that is almost certainly benign, but larger than last year. It did not show on the imaging (3D), so they got me right downstairs for an ultrasound. Durned thing refused to show up there either. The radiologist even had me take the transducer and roll it over the bump myself, then try it from another direction. Neat radiologist! They all should do this when the area of interest is in hiding! Anyway, it is almost certainly nothing to worry about, but I could have an MRI. Wonder whether I should push for that?

Your post, Joan, reminds me of how lovely and long school vacations can be. Glad you're back in the swing of things, but sorry your leisure is at an end.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2016

Brookside...hard call that one. Waiting to see if that blasted lump will show itself in say 3 months on another ultra sound seems a good idea. But on the other hand, we've all been thru all the waiting and know what it can do to us.....so getting an MRI and solving the puzzle sounds like a good idea too. Let us know what you decide to do. 4 years before my cancer showed up there was a tiny lump or something and we did the compression mammo, then the ultra-sound and one of the radiologists thought it should be biopsied. The other radiologist who had to read the data and look at the "pictures" was shocked that the biopsy was done as he felt we should have taken a wait and see approach. It was nothing except fatty whatever tissue. I later got BC in the same breast. My daughter thinks that the original biopsy caused the cancer as she had read that biopsies can cause cancer. I'm of 2 minds on that, and now feel that it's possible the first biopsy caused a later cancer but also possible it didn't .....so I'm not worrying about spilt milk. If I had it to do over, I'm not sure if I would choose the immediate biopsy on a teensy little lump or wait and see...... So I don't envy your decision at all.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2016

Brookside---could they do a needle aspiration of it? If you got clear fluid, you could relax better.

• josie123
    edited January 2016

Brookside, Do what makes you feel better.There have been many that had negative mamma and ultrasound and found something on MRI. If it brings you peace do the . MRI.

My new job is great. Really great Doctor and co workers. The lady who I'm replacing is only 2 yrs younger than I and is so nice. We seem to be long lost friends and could chat for hours but really can't since we are supposed to be busy. Today was kind if slow and the DR left before1 PM.That left us to do busy work, catch up on phone calls and prescriptions. I cleaned rooms thoroughly and put away stock.Not nearly as tired today I think I'm getting used to the hours.

We are getting a snow storm this weekend so I'm washing my really soft fluffy PJs and robe I got for Christmas so I can be warm and cozy .Sunday will be a high of like 20°.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Thanks for your thoughts, Sew, Red, and Josie. I spoke with my surgeon and he suggested a fine needle biopsy. I don't think he'll find fluid--this thing is pretty firm, but he should be able to extract some very nice, normal, benign cells. I have an onc appointment in March and he suggested we do it that same day. I live about two hours away from the hospital, so that would save me a drive. On the other hand, I have plenty of time now. I'm out on short term disability due to sleep apnea--can't be driving hours and hours to see clients with possible corporate liability should I doze off while driving on their time. I should have my"sleeping beauty" machine in a couple of weeks, then see sleep doc again a month later, then should have the OK to get back to normal.

So glad the new job sounds like a keeper, Josie.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2016

my radiologist that read my mammo did my biopsy. I was so sure it was nothing I almost didn't do it.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Red, the radiologist did not want to do a biopsy as his expertise is in sticking needles into something he can see on a screen, and this thing was absolutely not going to show itself. Also, he was convinced it was nothing to be concerned about. I'm not concerned (or doing pretty well, anyway, at not being concerned). Like you, it never occurred to me that my first lump could be cancer. In my breast? Me? There's lots of cancer in my family, but not breast cancer. I've always been cancerphobic, but "expected" some of the other familial stuff. Turns out, so far at least, I've been pretty lucky, because all of those other ones offer a far more unfortunate prognosis. The surgeon agreed to do a fine needle biopsy mostly, I think, from a damned-if-you-do and damned-if-you-don't point of view. I'll be happy to have it done, thinking of moving up the time schedule.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2016

Hi all, it's a bit quiet on this thread.
    I hope everyone will check in.
    Brookside, wow, whether you think you are feeling it or not, this is stressful. I am thinking that it is nothing to worry about. How will he use a fine needle to biopsy if he cannot see it while he is doing it? Will you have an MRI?
    We all know there is always the possibility of more tests someday when we have a routine visit. I guess we all live with this little cloud over us.

Josie, I am so happy to hear that you feel comfortable at this job. I don't remember what their reaction was when you left the last job, but I am guessing you will be missed. You do have a lot to offer and are good with patients and the staff (the non-wackos, at least). I know about feeling tired....Lately I am always tired for work. I am mostly alone in my office which is overly warm and it makes me doze off occasionally.

It looks like my overtime may be cut out this semester due to low enrollment and them taking an assignment away from me permanently. This will greatly affect my pay . Yes, it is good that I may not have to work 12 to 13 hour days and can have a little flex time. But I really will miss my night class.
    g'night for now...

Joan

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2016

Hi Joan. I'll check in! Sorry about the night class. I never cared much for them myself. Morning person I guess. I hope that you enjoy the little bit of down time and relax!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

Hi Joan and Sab and everyone, I'll check in too. I'm almost off the prednisone! Yipee! At 2.5 mg now, then 1.5 for several days then the final plunge to freedom. It's taken almost 9 months on the drug to knock this lung inflammation out. Who'd have thought. Now to tackle all the damage from the prednisone (weight gain, calcium deficiency, muscle loss and who knows what else) but that should be the "easy" part! Rest of me is just fine.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Hi, Joan. Less income is certainly a bummer, but all that free time is such a bonus! Use it parsimoniously ya hear? Well, it seems it is only the radiologist who can't stick a needle in unless he can see his target on some sort of screen. The surgeon has no such qualms. He can feel the thing, so he's happy to give it a stab. Joy. I remain unconcerned. So far.

Glad to see you, SAB.

Great news about the infection going bye-bye, Sew. Possibly even greater news that the nasty prednisone is getting the boot! Do keep in mind that if it bites back at you when you lower the dosage, there's no rule against slowing down the detox,

Hope your new job is just right, Josie, and everything is fine on the homefront..

HI to everyone!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited January 2016

Our group has been quiet lately.

Understand about loss of income Joan. When I was working at FedEx they had a moratorium on OT for a few months and while I loved getting more free time I missed the extra $.

Things are okay on my end. DH served jury duty this past week - his 4th time - I've served 3 times - 1 was federal. Very exhausting for him because he went to work a few nights after he left the courthouse.

New babies are getting chubby thank goodness. GFF is doing the full court press to get our DS to make a commitment even to the point of threatening to take the babies from him. She can't and she won't. He doesn't respond well to threats. I thought it was a low blow on her point. We get to see the babies and her girls every weekend at least one night. They are all precious. I feel sad about the situation but it's not my call. He is saving his money to move and I'm sure she expects to move with him.

Hope everyone had a nice holiday season. We sure did. Spent too much as usual. Have to start a Christmas savings account like now.

August 2016 will be my 5 year milestone. Mammo in May. Def nervous.

Another nephew getting married in May in Louisville, Ky. Hope we can make this one.

DH is putting in hardwood flooring week after next. Yea - carpet is beyond gross.

Can't believe college football is over but love college basketball as well and the NFL!

Temps will b frigid here tomorrow. Hate winter.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Diane

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2016

Once again I seem to be apologizing for not checking in more often.  I really mean to.

My dad died this morning.  His wife of 11 months notified me via e-mail.  He had not been well in awhile so it wasn't a huge shock.  Just a sense of loss, but I grieved a lot last year when I was cut off from him.  I am not sure how I feel yet.  There are no funeral services scheduled per his own instructions.

Just wanted everyone to know.

• orknitter
    orknitter Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2016

Justme, I'm sorry for your loss. I think anytime we lose a parent, especially when we are estranged from them, we grieve a loss of things that might have been. My thoughts are with you.

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 947
    edited January 2016

Justme, I am so sorry for your loss. It is hard to lose a parent no matter what the realtionship.

• josie123
    edited January 2016

Janis, I am so sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincerest condolences. I know what a struggle it has been for you. My prayers are with you and your family.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2016

Ah Janis, I'm so sorry about loosing your Dad. I know you've been thru a lot trying to maintain a relationship with him. Know that you've done your very best for him, and that as we age our personalities change and we don't always know what we're doing (on his part). I'm glad you've got your close relationship with your sister and can grieve together over this. Take care, and my thoughts are with you, you're not alone.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited October 2017

Going for radiation in two weeks - did anyone get pneumonia or shingles because their immune system lowered? Did anyone get vaccinations for pneumonia or shingles before radiation?

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

I'm so sorry, Janis, for the loss of your Dad. I know, considering the past couple of years, it's a particularly difficult time, and you and your sister will face a whole slew of confusing and conflicting emotions. Whatever you feel, do trust that that is exactly the correct feeling for however long you feel it. It may be a while before actual grieving works its way into the mix, but do trust that it will come when it is time.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Good questions, Marijen. I'd give your RO a call on Tuesday. I'd certainly want his or her opinion on the timing of the shots. It would be a good opportunity, also, to ask about the effect rads is expected to have on your immune system (and please let us know--you've got my curiousity aroused!). I expect you have already heard that antioxidants are discouraged during rads as there is concern that they may benefit the fast-dividing cancer cells more that the nice, normal cells.

• marijen
    edited October 2017

Has anyone had trouble with thyroid damage from whole breast radiation?

Thanks Brookside, I'm forming a list to email on Tuesday - right now I'm researching these questions. What bothers me is I have to ask them, why can't they just inform us. I did get a list of risks but it was left up to me to ask questions about it. Sometimes we don't know the questions to ask.

• marijen
    edited January 2016

Brachial injury risk from radiation - an item of interest from Medscape:

The frequency of radiation-induced brachial plexopathy has declined over the past 60 years and depends significantly on both the radiation dose and the proximity of the radiation volume to the underlying plexus. In the 1950s, the incidence was as high as 66% after 60-Gy total dosing to the axillary and supraclavicular area using 5 Gy/fraction. The current incidence is 1-2% in patients receiving a typical dose of less than 55 Gy.[5] Breast carcinoma accounts for 40-75% of reported cases, followed by lung carcinoma and lymphoma.[6, 7]

Mortality/Morbidity

The natural course of radiation injury to the brachial plexus varies. Most commonly, the plexopathy develops months to years after radiation therapy and demonstrates a relatively stable course over months to years with a gradual worsening of paresthesias and pain. One third of patients deteriorate rapidly and exhibit significant weakness, lymphedema, and pain. Rarely, the disorder presents as a mild and relatively reversible set of symptoms.[8] No present studies quantify the degree of disability experienced by patients with this disorder.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

Marijen, as you've figured out, you need to internalize a certain body of information before the correct questions arise. Luckily, the rads department is set up for fielding all concerns. You'll meet with your RO every week, and a nurse will be available any time you have concerns. I also leaned on the head tech, whose job is basically education/handholding.

Do please ask your RO about the thyroid issue. I did; I was shocked they did not offer me thyroid protection. They explained to me that the beam they use is totally unlike the radiation used in a normal x-ray. This beam is so strong it would blast right through a thin lead shield. A side effect, so to speak, of the strength of the beam is that there is virtually no scatter. There is a reason the rads department is in the basement with thick concrete walls all around--nothing less can stop the radiation.. Anyway, that is what they told me--do please let us know if you receive the same info.

• marijen
    edited October 2017

Yikes! The radiology department is on the ground floor which is more likely to have cement walls - the building on the outside is brick. Yikes again about blasting through the shield. I will ask. I really don't want a wrecked thyroid, I'm already hypo and although the medicine works I doubt it is as good as natural health.

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2016

I think I may not have been completely clear--because the beam is so strong, it goes exactly where it is targeted (your breast) and nowhere else. It is the everyday dental, etc. x-ray that scatters. Think rifle vs shotgun. Your thyroid (and everyone else's) is way, way outside the field.