Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2016

Hello BeeBee. F*#k the scar. You are a warrior, you earned that scar. I was mad too, so many of us were, but concentrate on wellness, on getting back your strength, on fighting to gain your health. You can do this.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2016

Hey Sab...good to "see" you. I gather you're still truckin' along.

I got off the prednisone last week. Took my last dose Monday, and Monday night I came down with the worst sore throat ever! Only thing that seems to marginally help is tylenol. It's finally a bit better this morning just in time to see the pulmonologist. I can't even tell if my original disease is cured or if all this fatigue is from the sore throat or withdrawal from the steroid. At least it's getting better. except I gained 3 pounds yesterday and I haven't really eaten much in 2days. Blast this prednisone, I think it's ruined my eating carer for life!

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited February 2016

Welcome Beebee to the forum no one wants to join but since you did its also one that can truly be your lifeline. It has been for me. I will be 5 years out in August. No one ever minimizes your pain or feelings because we have all been there, done that in varying degrees. Plus the advice is always helpful and straight from the heart and we all gab about our lives other than BC because it doesn't define us.

Venting is something we all can relate to. It is therapeutic. I am part of a group at church that is very proactive and a real sisterhood. I am so blessed to have them. I can't imagine not being able to talk about what ails me esp as it relates to BC.

I have an ugly scar from my lumpectomy too. I have Stage 1a IDC. I had 33 Rads treatments and luckily for me no real problems with them. My OB-Gyn said my BS did a hatchet job on me. Gee thanks. Frankly I don't care anymore. My breasts are lopsided too. I can't wear small tops anymore because they are too fitted. I gained weight too with Tamoxifen but it leveled off months and months ago. Even though we should focus on the big picture it would be abnormal not to add these SEs to our list of grievances of a BC DX. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Time does help. You are in the early stages which are the most difficult. As time goes by you will find you don't obsess about your DX as often and of course all clear mammograms are a sense of relief and a little less fear. It's hard to do but try and deal with it one step at a time. It's overwhelming to be sure. I for one kept my game face on and still do for my DH and childrens sake. I guess it's partly my fault because I have always been so fiercely independent.

Just remember you aren't alone in this fight. We are all here for you.

Josie - do take your Vit D. I wasn't as diligent either and had to play catch up. Your new job sounds great. I have an ONC appt Feb 22. After that one I will have 1 more before she releases me. Hard to believe it has been almost 5 years. I don't sweat her appts. Mammo in May still unnerves me and probably always will.

We dodged a blizzard a few weeks ago and just avoided tornado warnings for our area. Whew! Scary stuff. Mississippi got hammered again unfortunately.

Hardwood flooring being delivered this week from Lowe's. Yea! Carpet is so gross.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2016

Hi everyone,
    Welcome to the new ladies. Sorry you have to join us but by now, in most cases, you are through most of your treatment.
    I will try to not repeat what others have shared, but I generally agree.
    I found it to be pretty simple after rads; but some of what has been posted sounds familiar.
    Fatigue: I worked during rads every day. After the last treatment, I took two weeks of sick time and just slept.

Emotions: I think that during rads we summon the energy to get out every day for treatments and interact daily with medical providers. When it is over, there can be a sense of loss of anyone to listen, or to reassure us frequently. And that is when, for me, I reflected on all I had been through.
    I also had a relatively "easy" time with lumpectomy and 2 benign nodes. I made the mistake of saying I was "blessed to be Stage 1" on a thread and got blasted by women who swore that cancer could never be OK. But I felt OK.

Breast size: I realized at the end of rads how swollen my surgery breast had become. As it shrunk down over a few weeks, I began to become more aware of the tenderness that had always been there. I still have tenderness in the scar tissue area and now I consider it normal.

Drugs: I started back on Femara after rads and it affected my energy, my weight, my moods, and my ability to think straight. It is the most difficult part of my recovery. I stay active and work but always wondered "who would I be at this age (63 at the time) if I were not taking this drug which causes premature aging?"

As for symptoms like nausea and flu, extraordinary fatigue, or breast pain, I do believe these should be checked out.
    My scars have healed very well. My incision is all but invisible and my axillary scar is in a fold.
    I have Mondors that comes and goes - not harmful but sometimes uncomfortable. I just ignore it.

I have only written my list so that some of you may feel reassured that you are not alone and that some of these post-rads concerns may be short-lived in the big picture.

Looking Ahead: So, like many things in life, we have to want recovery and at times go after it. That means eating right keeping active, and exercising the mind, and having someone to talk to.
    Everyone has a right to her story and this IS the place to tell it. Smile
    Family, friends, and the public want to call us "survivors" and assume life is just so normal for us.
    Most want us to be "fine".
    I say write it all down (as some of you have right here) and read it again in a year. I truly hope life and health get better over this year.

===
    Josie, remember that the D you get in the 50,000 units is different than the over the counter one. Like you, I felt it was extreme because it is a fat-soluble vitamin. But I had no ill effects. I hope it works for you.

My Vit. D has always been low and I took the mega pills a few times. I think my D is still low. I try to take 2000 units daily.

We had that surprise coastal snow storm today and I felt like an "Ice Road Trucker" driving to work.
    An hour after I arrived, they announced they would close at 12:30pm. Why couldn't they have announced it sooner? Anyway, the snow is soft and beautiful, and it isn't very cold.

Mostly Sew, I hope you start to feel better soon. Congrats for being off the steroid. Your body will have to find that new "normal".

Shouts to Janis, Gigil and Cindy...thinking of you.
    Hugs all around,

Joan

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited February 2016

Joan why did you have to get off Femara during rads?

• MostlySew
    edited February 2016

Marijen, I don't know what path Joan took with her Femara, but my surgeon started me on Arimidex between surgery and rads because I had a delay due to non-healing tissue and then a second surgery. He wanted me "covered". Then I quit the med during rads because my RO felt that sometimes the drug affects the value of the radiation. I started right back on Arimidex immediately after rads. Andmy RO was not always consistent with having people stop the AI during rads. Perhaps Joan had the same timing issue.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited February 2016

My RO asked if I was still on it and didn't say I would need to stop. I would think it would be a double whammy... Also there's the anti-oxidant thing. She didn't say anything about that. I'm pretty sure they don't bother with these minute points. The cabbage leaves thing, I was told to forget about it, just do the Calendula. That's all. But start before so skin is healed before radiation. I have been using it at least two weeks in anticipation. Who wouldn't want healed skin anyways. What I really want is a shot that makes me look 20 years younger, inside and out, and a second chance.

SillyHeart

• MostlySew
    edited February 2016

I'd go for the shot, especially if it took 20# off

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited February 2016

BeeBee-my surgeon had to take 6 nodes plus 2 sentinels because the sentinel was so far in and the others were in the way. So far, no lymphedema. Get some scar creame like bio oil or even shea butter and do scar massage, rubbing the opposite direction of your scar. It will help.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited February 2016

Hi ladies. Welcome to newbies. You are in good hands here.

Anyone heard from Cindy, she hasn't been on for a long time. I pm'd her awhile ago but no response.

Bunkie?? how goes your rehab??

Josie congrats on the new job going well for you.

Been busy here. New shop is up, 4 post hoist is up. Spent the weekend ripping down 2x4x16's to 3/4 in strapping for pegboard frame. Got it all installed, then cut down the pegboard to fit & installed it. On to decorating now.

Also been sanding down my kitchen cabinet handles & repainting them. I only do 2 a day as it is hard on my hands.

Also have gutted the 70 chargers interior, going to put some rustproof coating on the floor, then new interior.

Hugs to all Fran

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited February 2016

Fran"you go girl!!"

Your making me tired just thinking about it.

My DD is safe and away from that loser Boyfriend.She dumped him yesterday.He went so far as threatening to kill her.He wasn't there when we came to help her move out.She promised his mom we wouldn't call the police on him but the phone number was in my phone for the PD in case he came back home.She is safe and that's what matter

• MostlySew
    edited February 2016

Glad to hear it Josie. Now just remind her of all this when she starts thinking of going back to him. I'm sure he's going to whine and cry and claim he will turn over a new leaf. Hopefully she'll be strong enough to tell him to come back in 10years when that "new leaf" has become reality. Good luck...

• josie123
    edited February 2016

Thanks Sew

• 70charger
    edited February 2016

Josie, thanks. Glad to hear DD got away, hope she weathers the fallout. She's strong so she'll do ok. The next few days will be nerve racking I'm sure. I hope his family gets him some help.

• josie123
    edited February 2016

Me too. His mother was there the other night and stated she just might kick him out. That's nit the answer they need to get him some help.

• edwards750
    edited February 2016

Good grief Fran you are so busy and so talented, Very impressive.

So glad your daughter left that loser. He does have serious issues. DH and I think DS is going to make a nest for the twins mother and her 2 kids. Good grief what a monster mistake but DS has to find that out himself. Unfortunately he is like me he has to learn everything the hard way.

I hope you never get lymphodema Redhead. There is a lady in our BC group at church who has it and one who used to have it years ago. Painful and brutal. None of our group knew that it can develop years after your DX. We all thought it happened like instantly. Not so. It does get better over time.

Wish our friends here who haven't posted in awhile would check in. We do worry about you guys.

Frigid temps here but at least no snow.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited February 2016

So glad, Josie. I hope your daughter can stay strong. I hope she will surround herself with friends and family to chase away all those perfectly normal longings to take him back. Uh-oh. Valentine's Day is a biggie. Hope there will be some special activity to keep her mind off the loser jerk (euphemism).

Charger, you certainly are busy. The new shop sounds amazing. I suppose now that it's all done, you'll just work even harder on all the lovely projects you have planned for that hoist?

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2016

Hey ladies,

Josie, it is so very hard to walk that fine line with our young adult children, allowing them to make their own mistakes. Thankfully, your DD saw that this man was not a good influence for her and hopefully, she will shake him from her life forever!

I agree with Brookside! Charger's list of projects would lay me flat for a month! LOL

Today is 4 years ago that my Mom passed and it is a tough day for me. But, I have a nice 5 day weekend coming up to relax (and work on selling my Dad's house) because I took some vacation time to wrap around the holiday we have off on Monday.

Cheers to all and Happy Valentine's Day. Am at work so have to run as always! xoxox

PS, I also PM'd Cindy a while ago with no response. Am definitely a bit more than worried about that girl....sigh.

• 70charger
    edited February 2016

Thanks Ladies. I condsider myself lazy. It's a self confidence thing. But thanks for the boost.

We had 4 inches of snow last night. just spent 1 1/2 hrs shoveling snow. It's almost 9:30 now so I better get started on my rolls or we won't be having them for supper. Making BIG batch for freezer. Then onto the driveway shoveling. Hugs to all Fran

• edwards750
    edited February 2016

I'm sure it is a tough day for you April. My mom's birthday is Valentine's Day. I miss her terribly too. It's been 10 years.

Happy Valentine's Day everyone. I decorated my house for the occasion. I do for every holiday just like my Mom did. I'm going to start posting pics as soon as I figure out how.

Diane

• josie123
    edited February 2016

April, I'm sure it's hard. Try and think of some happy memories of her.

• edwards750
    edited February 2016

Do any of you guys have the tumor markers tests? A lady in my group at church does, Her ONC called her after the test because her numbers tripled. She has to be retested March 1. If the numbers haven't gone down she has to have a pet scan. Needless to say she is scared. She knows it doesn't automatically mean the C word but you can imagine she is afraid of just that.

My ONC doesn't run those tests on me. She said the tests tend to be false positive plus she said I have early stage BC so she doesn't see the point.

My friend's nam is Tammy. Please keep her in your prayers. She has ILC Stage III, Grade 2. Had a MX and reconstruction. She is a year out.

Thanks.

Diane

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2016

Hello all. It's been a while and I wanted to check in. I've been pretty devastated, losing two of my dogs. We had them for 15 years, and believe me they were perfect in every way. Due primarily to cancer we had to euthanize them, and sent both of them off together. The vet said it was the saddest and most beautiful thing she's ever seen. They curled up muzzle to muzzle, bonded to the end. We are left with our most recent rescue, and spending a lot of time working with him, but it's hard. I haven't had much energy or spirit for most things over the past two weeks.

Fran, you go! That doesn't sound lazy to me. It sounds like hard, physical satisfying work.

Diane, I have had those markers, but not every time. I hope your friend is ok.

April, this year is 16 since I lost my Mom. Still miss her every day because she was a great lady. I'm sure you have some wonderful memories to cherish tomorrow. Hugs to you.

My cousin was diagnosed with IDC-2 centimeters. Surgery next week. Keep her in your thoughts. I am hoping for an excellent outcome.

Hi Joan! Hi Josie! Josie, I'm so relieved to hear your dd got out of there. I hope she has the strength to stay apart.

My dd the elder is moving in with her boyfriend. We're ok. She asked for advice, but since she's already a great communicator I told her to do these three things: 1. (this one was my mother's advice to me) Put onions and garlic in a pan right before your man comes home so the house smells like you are cooking all day.2. Never accept small appliances as gifts. 3. Poop in private. What do you think? Words to live by?

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited February 2016

LOL--definitely words that deserve to be cross-stitched, framed and hung on the wall.

In a way, LE rearing its ugly head this early may have been a blessing--makes me more vigilant overall. I think if it hit me suddenly at 75 or 85 it’d truly throw me for a loop.

• MostlySew
    edited February 2016

Hi Sab, I'm so sorry about your two dogs. I know what a beloved part of your family they were. And for them to be muzzle to muzzle is just so heartbreakingly sweet. You will miss them. Oh, and I think your words of wisdom are certainly down to earth! I'll keep your cousin in my thoughts, I'm glad she has you to lean on thru her journey.

Diane, I've never had those markers testedperhaps because my cancer was not aggressive. Ill keep your friend in my thoughts.

ChiSandy, sounds like you're actively treating that LE which is good. And yes, it does make you pay closer attention..at least it did me. Mine's been at bay a few years now so I'm not as vigilant.

• 70charger
    edited February 2016

Cindy update: Keepthefaith texted Cindy, she is in Cal & hopes to check in soon. Doing well.

Brookside, thanks for the giggle, kept thinking about it all day,lots of smiles, thanks

Sab sorry you lost your loved ones. It's so hard on us. I like that they were together. I'm sure they found comfort in that. Hugs Luv your moms advice.

April enjoy your weekend.

Big Huggers to all

Happy Valentines Day!

• josie123
    edited February 2016

SAB, how sad about your pups. I'm so sorry. They will be together forever now. It takes a while to get over that .

It seems DD is not broken all her ties with her former Boyfriend. He sees her almost everyday and she's still friends with th h him. She came by last night to show us her Valentine present. He bought her a puppy. I told my DH it was either a ring or a puppy. Thank God it was the latter. He's a doll a brindle pup mixed Rottweiler and pit bull.I know he did that to keep her closer or something. We are puppy sitting today while she works.

• josie123
    edited February 2016

• MostlySew
    edited February 2016

Josie, that pup could steal anybody's heart....

• josie123
    edited February 2016

I know. He's already stole mine.