Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2016

ChiSandy, 8 inches, huh? Thanks for the laugh this morning. Nerdy

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited March 2016

ChiSandy, I just love it!

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited March 2016

prayers for Tammy.

Why is something so simple SO difficult??!!

Catch cat, get medical attention. getting trap today, but no one to look after it once I catch it!! And now a 3rd one has shown up. I need a cat outlet. It is going to be a bad yr for drop offs with the economy.

Trying to do bookkeeping with an unresponsive calculator + chemo brain SUCKS!!!

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2016

Prayers for Tammy and hugs for YOU Fran!

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Thanks April485, Back at you.

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited March 2016

Thanks everyone. Her pet scan was postponed until tomorrow. Ugh. Now she has to wait until Monday for results. Her Mom is coming from Ohio to be with her. We all need our mothers no matter what age we are.

Dang Fran you do have a cat motel. I wish I had the money to contribute to animal shelters and causes. So many in need.

Have a good weekend!

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2016

Diane, prayers for your friend.

Fran, Cats are so instinctive.They know who to go to for help.Word gets around In the cat community. Do you have a rescue group in your area that can help?

My cat brought home a friend once and he even was crying at our window to come in like our cat does. He saw us let him in and tried to come in to until our dog stuck her nose in the doorway. He backed away really quick.

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Josie, this is rescue #3 out of 6 contacted. Stupid County does dogs but cats don't count. Everyone is full, I've even tried in my dd2 city an hour away! Trap has been set. Talked to hubby bout what to do with the ok one, he wants me to rehab & find a home. But he is a dog person right??

Yes Diane There is a sign that says kitty vacancy, but it is invisible to humans, so I can't take it down!!!!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited March 2016

There’s a no-kill shelter here that traps and chips feral cats and “lends" them to the city for rat control in the alleys. (“Lend” being a rather loose term for getting the city to promise that Animal Control won’t scoop them up and euthanize them). Since the program started a few months ago, rat sightings are way down.

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Chi Well that is interesting! Good concept if it works. I would hope they spay/neuter them before they release them.

I caught one of the twins, the one that is not injured. The injured one came when the other was in the trap. Darn!

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

paralyzed by fear, poor thingimage

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Poor baby!!Hes beautiful

• queenmomcat
    queenmomcat Member Posts: 2,020
    edited March 2016

(sings softly) Hush, little kitty, don't be afraid.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016

We worked with a feral cat rescue here too. Project Purr. They rescue feral cats who will be euthanized unless placed, and get them shots and med check. Brought them (2) to our property in a 6 foot kennel complete with food bowls and litter box. Kitties imprint on the property over 3 weeks or so, and new human has time to establish some small amount of trust/relationship with them. After imprinting the cage is simply opened and they seem happy to stick around. We get nice little mice/rat gifts from them all the time in exchange for feeding them and providing shelter. Still makes me feel bad though, to have animals outside. It's CA but still gets nippy.

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2016

Charger, I'm confused. Is that the less feral cat? He sure seems to be indoors. Are you taking him to the vet too? Trap reset for Scruffy?

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Brookside this is the healthy one, yes trap is reset for injured one. Yes this one will be given anything it needs.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2016

Bless you charger, animal angel!

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Little Cats Lost (Trap-Neuter-Return) Society

Box 78161 RPO Callingwood

Edmonton, Alberta

T5T 6A1

Canada

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

yes Josie, ALL they do is trap neuter & release . Talked to another rescue toady. She was on my case that I had waited 2 weeks & had not seeked medical for the cat . Explained to her AGAIN that I don't physically have the cat yet, I JUST got the trap! What a ditz! They only take "nice friendly" cats. I'm SO ticked off today over this. Long story short - take it to the humane society.

Now for the one in my basement ( not injured one) She is still scared. We shaved her matted coat today, she was SO good about it! I'm sure she feels much better.

Thanks for the compliments.

• josie123
    edited March 2016

Fran, I'm sorry I was trying to help. And you know if I lived closeId try to help you save those kitties.I was trying to find you some help. Feral cats are very hard to catch and sometimes almost impossible to rehabilitate.Once trapped they would probably have to sedate the cat to treat it. Only a vet can do that.Some Vets won't. As far as long term care once this cat is trapped it isn't going to let you get close enough to treat it daily.There is a long acting Antibiotic called "Convinia" it's a injection that lasts for a least a week.

Unless it comes around after being caught and really isn't feral just scared

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

KITTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

both are going to the humane society tomorrow

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

• 70charger
    edited March 2016

Kitty #1 , uninjured, got shaved today to make her more comfortable. Her mats were right down to the skin & really tight. Her outer coat looked nice but once we got to pet her, ouch. She was REALLY good about it. Don't think it will take much to make her a nice cat.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2016

April, you are always on the run! I hope you get to rest on the week end.
    Fran, the kitties are beautiful. Bless you for helping them, especially in winter.
    There is a cat rescue in Wisconsin that takes pure breds or partial pure breds with strong characteristics. They do a great job of moving these kitties into foster then forever homes. They also take some domestic kitties in special circumstances. Your kitties both look like they are long-haired. There is a pet adoption network online and the long-haired go quickly.
    I hope you can find a place to take them. Are you committed to keeping one?

I took my kitty to be groomed today at the local pet store. She was sooooo matted on one side. I managed to comb through the "good" side but felt it was getting away from me with the tangles. I figured they would shave her but when I picked her up, all tangles were gone and she was soft and smooth like when we first got her. I have to find out how they restore the fur so well. Anyway, we are happy with the results.

Today, while DH is recovering from a terrible respiratory infection (home for 9 days so far)....well, our septic system backed up. No water or flushes or showers or laundry or washing dishes....it is the 3rd time in 3 years. When they got done they said "you won't have to do this again for 3 to 5 years"....then handed me a bill for $1100. Shocking! But so glad it is fixed.

I had my MO appointment Friday. This doctor is my third MO since dx at Sloan. It was rather chaotic and unfocused and I don't think it was about me....anyway, I was "discharged" by my MO to the Survivorship NP (again - same person)....so I will no longer see BS or MO unless I have a problem.
    I was surprised but OK....so I am doing well and that makes me happy.
    Has anyone heard of the injection for bone density? I will be considering it for after my next bone density this month.

Next week is our St. Pats parade in town...long time tradition. DD from MA plans to come with the kids and also bring her new bf. I am madly cleaning house as I've been very lazy. I have no idea who is sleeping here...maybe no one....but I have to be ready.

ChiSandy, that was a funny email.

Diane, thinking of your friend and hoping for a good result. On the opposite side of the issue, one of my first BCO friends just had a new primary after 8 years. Her cancer markers never changed, even after diagnosed. I am wondering what these markers measure. Anyone know?'

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2016

Hi all!

Poor kitties...and what a saint you are to make sure they get the care they need. Hugs to you for that!

Joan, tumor markers are accurate for some and for many they never ever change, even when they are stage IV so they cannot be counted on and some doctors won't do/use them at all. My friend who is stage IV told me hers were 30 when she was diagnosed. So, never count on them for accuracy. Other tests must be used if symptomatic. Doctors don't routinely scan anyone is who does not have symptoms *ie bone pain or something*

Anyway, getting ready to make a nice pot of French Onion soup since I had some lovely beef broth frozen from Christmas prime rib. Had the butcher give me a bunch of bones that other people cut off of their roasts and he threw them in for free since I paid 85 bucks for the roast..LOL Thank goodness liquor stores are now open on Sunday in CT since I did not have any wine or sherry for the soup and that is critical to the flavor of my recipe. Hubby just got sent on the errand. Since he has been sober for 26 years, it does not bother him at all to go and get me things from the liquor store thankfully. I know in some states you can buy wine etc in grocery stores but only beer in CT, no wine or spirits.

I saw my BS last month and I am now on yearly schedule. But, a new wrinkle. I thought I felt a lump very near my LX scar and she said scar tissue and I let it go..then, that very night, had some discharge from that same nipple!! Could it be cause she pressed that breast so hard checking it in the manual breast exam? Anyone experience this? I am a bit nervous and think I should let her know. Have only had a tiny itty bitty amount since that night but still had it a second time. Ugh! Always something.

Gonna go start my onions so they can carmelize. Looking forward to oooey gooey cheesy yumminess! Hugs to all! xo

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2016

Oh, yes, April. Can't have soup without sherry! i put it in stews, sauces, custard. Most recent wedding cake was soaked with sherry too. The chef objected, thought it would taste horrid. Little did she know--it was delicious.

My BS told me he would see me for three years, then a nurse would see me thereafter. For a couple of years, he's been following this little lump (well more than one, actually), however, that everyone believes is benign, but a lump it is, so he need to keep checking. He said he'd see me next year. Very happy. That's year FOUR! I'm not ready for some stranger to poke around at my terrain.

When I first met my onc, he told me his age (50-something) and that he expected to retire in ten years. He said he would see me all the way through. He indicated that after ten years, most people want to just see their pcp's. I'm not so sure. Now that I know what a breast exam is really suppose to feel like, I think even if my BS gives me the heave-ho, I'll want to see an onc at least annually (now seen twice/year) forever.

Charger/Great Hunter, congratulations on successfully gathering in those kitties. So happy #2 is no longer out there without treatment. I hope you'll bring along a "before" photo to the humane society so potential adoptees can see how absolutely gorgeous her coat is. If it looks that luxurious now, just imagine how she'll look all cleaned up and grown in.

• brooksidevt
    edited March 2016

I realize I was so excited to discover a fellow sherry-cooker, that I did not finish your post, April. Yes, that is alarming, and, of course, it had to take place almost immediately after your scheduled visit. Isn't that always the way? I guess if it were my annoyingly tardy symptom, I'd probably want to have it checked out before much longer. Phooey!

• josie123
    edited March 2016

April, yes please get that checked out soon.When evaluating a patient complaining of breast pain or lump we always ask a series of certain questions and one of them is nipple discharge.Also nipple dimpling.Your roast sounds scrumptious as does the soup.

Joan,sorry to hear your hubby is under the weather and plumbing problems ugghh.And kitty is all soft and Matt free again.I bet she feels better.

Brookside, I agree that that would be a hard transition to make.My MO is still seeing me twice a year too.

My DD has cut all ties with that creep boyfriend but came out of work the other night and found roses and a love note on her dads vehicle.How did he even know she was working that night much less the fact she was driving her dads vehicle .She threw the roses in garbage and sent him a picture of them in the trash.Then ripped up the note and sent him z picture of that note in pieces.And sent him a message if he does it again she will go ahead with a restraining order.Im proud of her but still scared for her at the se time.That creep even tried to follow my youngest daughter on Instagram.She did not accept him .But how creepy was that