Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2016

Such cute babies, gorgeous kids (adults included), grands, Christmas decorations! We’re Jewish but still decorate modestly: wreath and metallic red foil on the front door, fake boughs and red bows on the outdoor banisters, pinecones & plastic holly in various bowls around the house, holiday dishes & table linens, ribbon & stockings on the mantel and an artificial tree with LED lights (anchored to the wall via a fishing-line guy-wire to keep the kitties from tipping it over). At Hanukkah, we switch out the table linens and put an electric menorah in the window (and light one with real candles on our stove, where the cats don’t go and if it fell over, it’d just extinguish itself). I’d take photos, but my back is keeping me stationary & indoors….

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2016

We won! First place! So excited. All our hard work paid off.

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2016

Norma, thanks!!

ChiSandy, hope that back heals quickly.

Diane , congrats!! I knew you would win!!!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited December 2016

Diane, congrats...and, FYI, if you are jumping up and down while trying to photograph your prize it tends to make the photo fuzzy...just sayin😜

Joan, what a beautiful family you have. I think they all take after you.

Josie, that grandbaby is precious

Love seeing the pictures. I should write more but it's bedtime..... just had to tease Diane!

• chisandy
    chisandy Member Posts: 11,408
    edited December 2016

Mazel tov, Diane! (Ecumenical congrats). :-)

Back is getting slowly better. May indeed be able to drive Tues., so long as someone can carry my guitar. But first comes the semi-annual mammo and BS appt.

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited December 2016

Congrats Diane!!!

Chi, Good luck with the tests.

Joan, it is hard for people to understand that skin freezes in under 2 minutes or less. Our friend let her tiny dog out for under 2 minutes. It collapsed before it could get to the door. Frozen! One of our greeters at Walmart actually froze his lungs doing cart retrival a few yrs back. He has an oxygen tank now. I hate winter.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2016

YAY Diane!

Loved all of the beautiful photos! Here are a few of mine.imageimage

• april485
    edited December 2016

• april485
    edited December 2016

My first foray into making cream puffs. this was a trial and since they came out pretty good, will make them for Xmas Eve.

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

That's k Sew it was misting rain too. Haha.

Thanks everyone. Love your pics too April. Just beautiful and the food - yum! Never made cream puffs but love them. My mom used to make those cookies with the chocolate. So good too.

Good luck with the tests Chi.

Wow I didn't know that about freezing. Scary stuff. Even though my fur baby loves to go outside I make sure he doesn't stay out very long in this weather.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited December 2016

Your baking all looks delicious ChiSandy--is food particular to Jewish Holidays? When I was in college I was in love with the most wonderful Jewish guy and he didn't go home for some holiday and he had me over and he cooked the meal---he made some kind of cottage cheese pancakes? and while we were eating, his family called and they were all together at the table---aunts, uncles, cousins, and they passed the phone around so they could all talk to him, and then they all talked to me about how glad they were that he wasn't alone. ( I had not met any of them yet) I can't even remember if it was fall or spring-I know it wasn't Hanukah but it is one of my favorite Ken memories because of how important it was to his family that he not be alone and how they all included me in the visit--a stranger. who was clueless as to their holiday tradition. I just wish I knew which Holiday it was.

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

Redhead - I can kind of relate to your story about a Jewish BFF but not about traditions.I used to work at The University of Tennessee in Memphis where all the soon to be professional students went to school - medical, dental and pharmacy students. It was a young single girl's dream place to work. I had a ball working there and met and dated several Jewish medical students. I made the mistake of buying them Christmas gifts. They weren't offended - they actually thought it was funny - and they kept the gifts! I remember they were the nicest guys and very smart. I'm sure they turned out to be very successful doctors.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2016

Oh Edwards---too funny. I wouldn't have given you back your gift either----that would have seemed rude. You probably gave them a Christmas memory to cherish. I wish those doctors were here in my town...

My cough is still pretty bad---I went on line to my Doc's office--couldn't get an appointment with her until the 22 of Dec, so I sent them an email and asked if they would prefer me to go to Convenient Care again or if she would just give me another z-pack to see if it would finish knocking it out.....the website said to wait till the close of business the next day for a reply......

there is a real shortage of primary care docs and I am getting very frustrated with this practice, but Believe in a long term relationship with your doctor.,,,,,and I can't find another good one with an open practice. I see the onc on Friday but he won't do anything except my cancer drug/cancer care.....AGHHHHHHHHHH

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

They were cool gifts by the way Redhead. Haha.

Why do you think there is a shortage of Primary care docs where you live? I know where I live more and more doctors are leaving their practices and joining up with those country club groups where you pay a set fee and have all your tests, etc done in the same day literally going door to door.

My sister and BIL live in Kennesaw, Ga but drive to Chicago to do just that and in fact are headed home from Chicago today. None of my sibs can nor I understand why they can't find or aren't interested in finding a group like that in Atlanta which is much closer to home. They used to live in Naperville so they dohave a long time relationship with these doctors but still a long way to travel esp with the snow and ice in Chicago. Their choice of course.

I have to find an internist. My GP whom I really liked moved to Nashville. Don't like his partner. Right now I only have a Ob-Gyn doctor.

We have friends who are on Medicare and they are having all kinds of problems finding doctors who will accept it. That's a pretty sad commentary.

We have BC/BS thankfully.

Hope you feel better.

Diane

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited December 2016

Hi Ladies...the last post I did was back in 2015. Way too much to try and catch up. Just checking in. Miss everyone and hope you are all doing good. Dealing with some crazy health issues this past year. Developed P.O.T.S. because of the Valium withdrawal I am still doing. Down to 2mg of that nasty drug. My Dr said it is easier to kick heroin than Valium. I believe it. I am determined to get off of it tho so I keep fighting. POTS is basically a problem with my heart. Makes my pulse race to 157 when I stand and my BP drop. So I have upped my salt and fluids and we are hoping for the best. It is a side affect of Valium withdrawal we think. Had a stress test and an echo and I am fine. The vertigo is a complete life altering problem but just started with a new ear group in Detroit and they seem to have a plan.There is a new chair that is called the epply omniax chair. There are only 7 in the US. It is like being in a space ship from the looks of it. You get strapped in with goggles and go for a ride. I do this in Jan so we will see. I have finally been diagnosed with Menieres disease...another auto immune and I have ear crystals that are stuck in the hardest canal to get loose. So we keep trying. I have been in the hospital and rehab 4 times in the last 2 years. Not fun.

So I wanted to wish everyone a Happy Holidays and will check in again soon. Promise.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited December 2016

i finally ate no salt at all for a year, the sounds vanished the ro tatonal vertigo vanished and all my hearing returned. now a few years later with processed foods containing salt though mostly sea salt, by bad ear has clogged up a bit.

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2016

Abigail that is amazing... Thank you for sharing.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited December 2016

Hi Y'all

Wow! The grandkids, Christmas lights, bake goods...oh my! Y'all are amazing.

I'm just enjoying the desert 75 degree weather. Thinking of all of you in the arctic blast. Next week begins all Dr appointments getting in mood to celebrate 4 yr NED.

Bunkie - so good to hear from you. Hang in there 😘

(((Hugs)))

Cind

• josie123
    edited December 2016

Cindy, congrats on 4 yrs. I will be 4 yrs in Jan. Enjoy the weather.

Bunkie,

Bless your heart you've been through so much. Good luck on that new treatment. Hopefully it helps

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

Bunkie - so good to hear from you but so sorry you are dealing with health issues. I took Valium once a zillion years ago. I can't imagine how tough it is to deal with withdrawal symptoms. Hope it gets better for you soon.

DH Christmas party tonight at really nice place so gotta dress up a bit.

On a scary note my DH is having a DAT scan next Friday. It's a test to see if he has Parkinson's Disease. He has had hand tremors for months now. Saw a neurologist who told him it could be PD but not sure. He doesn't exhibit any other symptoms. The test is sopricey thank goodness we are at 100% with BC. The meds are $3000 alone. It's a relatively new test just recently approved by the FDA. Doctors say it doesn't prove you have PD but it can rule it out or not. Of course I am a basket case. DH is so calm. He said if it is we will deal with it. Can't change the outcome. That is so not me. Good thing we are so different in that regard. He will find out the results the following week. It's not the death sentence thankfully but still.

Please pray for us.

Thanks.

Diane

• rmlulu
    edited December 2016

Diane - lifting you and hubby up in prayer. May you find peace and strength. And enjoy that party tonight...post pics.

Cindy

• Redheaded1
    edited December 2016

Diane---I will pray for you and your husband.

Bunkie-so glad you posted----I had to kick Xanax about 20 years ago and it was bitch---I tapered down and tapered down and then I took two weeks vacation and went where there was no tv and no telephones ringing, just quiet solitude and I made it......but it was really hard. Valium makes one even more tranquil than Xanax, so my guess is it is much much harder to give up. Just do your best and stick with it. You will get there.

Cindy---It is single digits, trying to snow and the weather says tonight-freezing rain and sleet, then followed by rain, snow and falling tempretures to single digits, then more snow....SO ENJOY THAT DESERT WEATHER.. Did you string some lights on a cactus????

• josie123
    edited December 2016

Diane,

Prayers for your husban

• rmlulu
    edited December 2016

No cactus...it is pretty here. GS arrives at noon tomorrow so will be decking the halls at their condo. Can't stay with me here inRancho Mirage. DIL allergic to my lab😔 Hopefully I won't bring pet dander to timeshare I reserved for them. Excited &ready for GMa time!

(((Hugs))

Cindy

• 70charger
    edited December 2016

So nice to hear from everyone!!! Loving all the pictures. Sounds like all are getting excited for xmas. We have been in a deep freeze for the last 2 weeks. -30C to -40C. Yesterday was - 40C, this morning for the first time we are not under an alert. It is -8C !!! I'm going outside today!!!

• josie123
    edited December 2016

Congrats Fran. Enjoy. Stay warm.

We had our version of deep freeze in MO and it was like 5 degrees Fahrenheit this morning after a Saturday evening of Rain and snow we had a nice thin layer of ice with a little snow on top.We didn't go out til like 2:30 pm and when I was coming off the yard onto the driveway I fell and landed on my left knee. It hurt but no serious injuries I'll probably be sore for the next few days. My whole leg hurts and my left wrist feels find of sprained. I was carrying my coffe mug full of water and it just bounced across the concrete driveway. I unfortunately don't bounce that well. Too bad I was on the way to take my daughters friend home. So I just literally picked myself up and got into my vehicle after digging my keys out of the snow and drove away. I'm finally home and as of right now am sitting on a heating pad

• 70charger
    edited December 2016

heal quickly Josie! Glad it wasn't worse.

• josie123
    edited December 2016

Thanks Fran!!

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

Thanks for your prayers guys. I'm very nervous about the test but I keep my fears to myself. No sense making DH more anxious.

Babysat the kiddies last Thursday and came home with the stomach flu that started Sat night. The twins, sister and DS all had it. Ugh. Feeling better today but it was brutal. I checked the obits to see if my name was listed. Haha.

Supposed to go to a Christmas dinner with the girls from church tomorrow night. I'm punting just in case because I don't want to risk infecting them.

DH cannot catch this stuff or the test will be cancelled. We are planning our Christmas with DS and GFF and kids Thurs night. GFF and one daughter have dodged it so far. If they get it we will have to postpone our Christmas with them. They are leaving for Wisconsin Friday. First time I haven't spent Christmas with my son.

No pics of the party Cindy. To be honest it was boring except for the $100 gift card that was given to every employee. Appreciated that. The place was okay but the room was not large enough, the food was not esp good and not much of it to boot, service was slow and then to top it off we got stuck in the elevator. Momentarily fortunately because DH opened the doors. The building is old but it is going to be remodeled thank goodness. DH's company does change venues every year thankfully.

What a beautiful place Cindy!

Ouch Josie - hope you are on the mend.

Frigid here too. 17 degrees tonight. At least not minus 17.

Stay warm everyone!

Diane

• edwards750
    edited December 2016

Had to add this pic - bought the twins a phone - not real of course. I got tired of them dialing my contact numbers. Of course I got a call back. Too funny. Can't figure out how they kept doing it.