Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited December 2016

I agree 100% with that article Josie which is why that dog should not be around the baby when she begins crawling. For whatever reason, the predator in your DD's dog came out and it was fatal for the cats. It is instinct or stress (perhaps the new baby or the baby's father's bad behavior to the dog?) but either way, the dog is to be considered a danger to that baby even if unlikely to hurt her. I love dogs and cats and it is sad that the dog has to go, but this dog's behavior warrants it and even with behavior classes, it is likely that I would not trust the dog around cats or children. Just my take...

I had golden retrievers who adored our cats and slept with them and worried about them when they went outside. I never saw any aggression from them toward any other animal or human but it still would cross my mind every once in a while when the dog would chase the kitties and when he caught up with them would lick them from head to toe (and soak them...LOL)

I know this must be so hard on you and your daughter. Hugs to you both!

Happy NY everyone!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited December 2016

Oh, Josie, I am so very, very sorry. I'm not sure I'd be able to function after such an experience. You must be so happy to be saying goodbye to 2016. May your New Year be filled with blessings.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited December 2016

Diane, his parents really don't watch Maisie. But I love to do it for her when I can. I'm just not a night person and she working at a bar doesn't sometimes get off till close around 1:00am. Tonight will be really busy for them so she will be really late but I will handle it. She's a really good baby .

April, I agree and hopefully she will see that too. I sent her the article. She's stubborn but obviously loves that baby way more than the dog. She's a great mom and it's going to be hard for her but hopefully someone will want the dog. She even mentioned the same thing about the baby crawling and the dog and I thought she was just going to get rid of him at that point. I'm praying she finds him a good home soon. Keeping him just wouldn't be an option. We have a dog and she has been around the cats since a pup and would never have done anything to hurt them. In fact the cats would sometimes scare her because they would swipe her with their paw and she would be afraid to run by the cat

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited December 2016

Josie - is this the same dog your DD's BFF abused? I agree have to protect the baby first. I'm just saying is he aggressive in part because of her BFF? Dogs can sense hostility. We all know that.

Our dog is great around the twins. He sniffed them a few times but that's it. He is a large dog and so gentle and sweet. We love on him all the time. He is so affectionate.

Surely a dog lover will adopt him and give him a chance.

I bet you are tired. I'm not a night person either. GFF's parents do help out every now and then but it's mostly us.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2017

Hi, everyone, and Happy New Year to y'all. I'm just back from the same party I've attended for 20 years. We used to celebrate New Year's at midnight, then it started moving earlier and earlier. This year, they brought out the champagne at 6:00! Are we maybe getting old?

Any way, Josie, this part is for you--

All my friends we were at this party are huge animal lovers, huge fans of rescue, huge supporters of, and active fundraisers for, both the local animal shelter and a horse rescue organization. All have both dogs and cats, and one has horses as well. One is a past board member of the animal shelter, one a seventeen-year volunteer. Naturally, pushy New Yorker that I am, I brought up the issue of your daughter's dog. Everyone agreed that this dog can no longer live in the same house as a baby/eventual toddler. Everyone agreed that, Josie, it is very lucky that he did not attack you when you tried to save the cat. Everyone agreed that he cannot be placed with just anyone who is willing to take him. None of my bleeding heart animal lover friends would be comfortable with this dog. Everyone agreed that he is is at risk of not being able to be safely placed, and we all know what that means.

But here is the good news: If your daughter works with a good (i.e. no-kill) animal shelter, there are people there who will be able to professionally assess the dog, provide training, and find an appropriate placement for him. I am sure there are several appropriate organizations in your area, but here is another option--our shelter (like many) has very few local dogs. At this point, so many pets are spayed or neutered that very few wind up in local shelters. As a result, most of the available pets are shipped, yes, shipped, from other areas. Now, there is absolutely no reason this poor dog needs to come to Vermont, but somewhere there is a professional placement resource that can save this poor animal from himself. Somewhere there is a dog lover who is willing and able to train this dog to become a good citizen.

I had absolutely no idea that an appropriate assessment/placement resource existed, so perhaps neither do you, but please, please do use all your motherly skills to be get this poor animal out of that house and into a situation where he might have a long, happy life.

• josie123
    edited January 2017

Brookside, thanks I agree with all you said and now I have to convince my DD of that. I already contacted the local Pitbull rescue but my DD thinks he would sit in a cage all day. I told her she's wrong and they would be able to place him better than she can.

Diane the dog that was abused by her boyfriend as a very young pup was the youngest one not the one that killed the cat. The dog she is having the trouble with is the older one. I just talked to someone who was going through the same thing with his pit bull and he was lucky enough to be Able to pay the vet bil

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2017

The vet might be someone she could talk to to find out the reality of how the dog would be treated in a rescue environment. He would also know the inside scoop on the local-ish resources. This is from the Missouri Pit Bull Rescue website:

We currently have over 30 volunteers, a dozen active foster homes and a board of directors to help provide governance. No one is getting paid for their involvement with the group. We're all Pit Bull lovers with full time jobs and families who spend every spare dollar and minute of our time helping Pit Bull dogs.

Our commitments include Pit Bull education (via email, the web site and events), evaluating dogs for rescue, fostering, caring for the shelter dogs, vet visits, rehabilitation and nursing sick dogs to good health, attending adoption events, screening applications, conducting phone interviews, homechecks and follow ups, transporting dogs to potential homes, teaching a dog how to be a good pet, and lastly, LOVING our rescue dogs with all our heart until it's time to let them go to their forever home.

• edwards750
    edited January 2017

Excellent advice and references Brookside. Our dog is a pit/lab mix and the gentlest and sweetest dog ever.

I hope you can find someone to give this dog a chance Josie. I think every one of us are animal lovers and supporters. I just want every dog to have a chance in a happy home.

Happy New Year everyone!

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2017

Happy New Year everyone...... may our year be joyful, peaceful and full of good health

Hug

And I am going to break my personal record of having terrible things happen in odd years (nothing happens in even years it seems). It started when I began dislocating my shoulders years ago. Each occurrence was always 4 years apart and in an odd year usually over the 4th of July. Go figure. Happened 4 times. Finally got over that by having surgeries. My latest streak that I can recall is : 2007 having my first breast biopsy. Non-cancer but that breast ended up with cancer. 2009 not an illness exactly but my cat was hit by a car and I spent 6 weeks with him in a cage taking him out to pee and to the vet twice a week to change the dressing, and generally keeping him quiet to heal the leg. It worked and he was good as gold. Later that year he got mouth cancer which wasn't treatable and we lost him. His twin brother and I still miss him. 2011 I got breast cancer and we all know about that. 2013 My bother died 2015 I got my lingering lung disease which required extensive high dose treatment with prednisone which I finally got off in Feb 2016 and am continuing to improve (of course, it was by then an even year!).

So.....this year I'm going pretend it's an even year so I won't have any more of these jinxes........ ThumbsUp

• josie123
    edited January 2017

sew, I agree. I feel the same about the odd years but hopefully 2017 will break the jin

• edwards750
    edited January 2017

Sew - good grief that's a lot to contend with. I am a perpetual optimist but wow it just keeps coming and coming even and odd years. I know God doesn't give you more than you can handle but for the life of me I sometimes wonder.

I am sure there are others with more serious problems so I don't want to whine about things that are just part of living like a broken tooth and the pilot light won't stay lit. Had a serviceman out but his fix didn't work so gotta call him tomorrow.

I checked my DH's chart online and it looks like he may very well have the Parkinson's Disease syndrome. His appointment with the neurologist is in mid-January. I am sad and worried but keeping my game face on for him. He is calm and already resigned to his tremors being PD. I've read extensively about it and while it's not fatal it can become debilitating and that's what I worry about with him. He can deal with anything but if it ever leads to his not being able to work or be a handyman it would be difficult for him to handle. When he retires I want it to be his decision not one he is forced into making. Time will tell.

Once again we are putting our situation in God's hands. He has helped us through some very difficult times in our 30 years of marriage and bestowed us with many blessings so I have faith.

Please pray for us.

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited January 2017

Happy New Years! 🎉💃🍾😘

Good to see so many checking in...yes, we come along ways...much to celebrate!

Cheers to us

((( Cindy)))

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2017

Checking in from home....have not been back to work yet. I have had a head cold for 6 days now, and it is wiping me out.  Am still in bed at 10am and it was my back to work day.
    There is a lot of good advice here this week.  I especially think the Missouri Pit Bull Rescue could be so helpful for Josie.
    I have always feared dogs and not trusted them since  I was attacked by a neighborhood dog at 12 years.  I held little pieces of my face in my hand while my best friend cried because she thought her dog would have to go.  I healed, the dog stayed, but I remained wary. My parents always had large dogs in a small home and never did they provide strict discipline.  We had a Doberman when I was a teen, and I would knock on the door at night before I would walk in the house. (Hi doggie, it's only me)
    I have had cats for years; but all attempts to own a dog have ended in giving up the pup.

Therefore, I can appreciate the discussion from experienced loving dog owners.  As difficult as this is, Josie, I hope you feel supported in your concerns and grief.
    Sew, ouch, wow....feel free to write even years wherever possible!   This will be a good year for you.  I am glad you are healthy and able to nurture your sweet kitty.  Think positive thoughts!

Diane, it is so good that you are available to help with the babies.  I was helped by my mother and never forgot how it allowed us to get on our feet during some tough times.  I helped my DDs but all are so far away now, that I do not often get that chance.  If there is one thing I would look forward to in retirement, it would be to spend quality time with my grandkids.

I am sorry to hear that you fear the signs of PD are occurring in DH.  Sending hugs and prayers for the best possible outcome. 

I still have decorations up....been too sick to get into the packing, touching the live tree, and general dust of the storage areas. I am wondering if getting rid of the tree would help my sensitive sinuses and congestion.  Eventually, it will happen....we have a visit with DD from MA who we have not seen yet this season.  Saturday we will meet in CT for one last Christmas hurrah! 

• josie123
    edited January 2017

Joan, that's horrible. I can't believe they didn't remove that dog. No wonder you have had a fear of large dogs. The rescues will not take Tank because of what happened and they can't always find them a foster that won't have any other animals around him. Sarah and the baby came over this morning and got me out of bed. We had coffee and talked for quite a while. She's hoping to move into her own house by next year. She isn't having any luck re homing the dog but I don't know how much she has tried either. She and I agree that if it was a person. The dog would be gone right now. If he is deemed a viscous dog he will have to wear a muzzle when outside at all times and be on a tie out. She works with a girl that had that happen to her dog. But her situation is a little different because he bit someone who came to her gate drunk and tried feeding her dog carrots through the fence.

I'm just praying someone will be able to help. He is not a mean dog he really is a sweetheart but remember he did have that time he got into the medicine and overdose on it. He almost didn't make it and was temporarily blinded by it. Ever since then he is very unmanageable around vets. I think I've been more than forgiving in this situation. After all he killed all three of my cats. I told her he is lucky he's not my dog because I would of already had him euthanized. I know that's wrong to feel that way but not sure I want to see what he does next.

Joan take care these colds have been lasting for weeks. I had a co worker that came in running a fever for like 2 days. It made me mad because I didn't need to get dick . But now I feel aching and my ear hurts. I hope I'm not the next victim .

I go to work late on Tuesday and Thursday. Resting up so I can get through the day

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2017

Josie, it is not wrong to feel the dog ought to be euthanized. All but one of my bleeding heart animal lover friends and I would take that step if it were our own beloved dog. The one holdout feels a rescue organization might be able to place him in a setting where he can thrive.

All of us are in agreement that simply finding a different home is not a solution. This dog has been seriously damaged by not having been trained how to behave around small, fast-moving family members. Like the dog you mentioned above, he does need to be muzzled and leashed whenever there is a chance he can cause harm. Most likely, he'd be happier in a professionally placed home.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2017

Josie, I don't know how many more warning signs your daughter needs. When he killed 3 of your cats, that was three warnings. Attacking the dog next door is number 4. When he won't let a vet handle him that is a Really Big Warning (number 5) since now he doesn't like people, and when the rescue people won't take him that's number 6. Even she shouldn't need any more warnings than that. It's time to let him go, he's become more and more "unmanageable" as you call it even though you feel he is sweet. How soon before he decides he doesn't want to be sweet? This is very hard on all of you, but even your daughter must realize how very much harder (and an even bigger hit to her pocket book) when he finally decides to bite the person holding the dog, or cat, or toy, or child that he wants to chase, or someone who smells like a vet office or ...... just anything. I do understand just how hard this will be, but for everyone involved this must be done NOW....not when she finds another place to live, or dinks around trying to find a rescue group who will take him. She is legally responsible for that dog and subject to lawsuits since she knows he is unmanageable and volatile. Maybe Brookside's friend that was the lone holdout would take him, but I doubt it. It's sad, but necessary, in my opinion. Perhaps letting your daughter read our comments would help. We are all pet loving, caring people and understand the hardship euthanizing or even re-homing an animal is........ but needs must in this situation. Just sayin'

• edwards750
    edited January 2017

Thank you Joan. We are keeping the faith.

Sorry you have been so sick. My DH has had sinus/cold issues for weeks. He has taken everything but it is lingering on. Hope you feel better soon. I'm glad you are still celebrating with family.

I do love babysitting the babies in fact I'm going to help out tomorrow. I always go with sacks of food and dinner for that night. I'm sure their grocery bill is off the chart so I usually pick up sale items for them at the grocery store. Every little bit helps.

Snow is coming Thursday. Ugh.

Diane

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited January 2017

Temps really dropped here--was like 41 yesterday, this a.m.at 7 it was a minus 7 chill factor. I haven't put my head out, but I have on thick wooly sweater...I know we have been lucky so far, but the cold just seems to seep into my bones. anymore.

• edwards750
    edited January 2017

Same here Redhead. Snow expected tomorrow. Just got heat repaired Tuesday. Not cheap but def necessary. Always something.

Stay warm everyone!

Dian

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2017

Josie, I am so sorry for all the heartaches that you have gone through and are going through now.  I cannot weigh in on your DD's dog, because I am not informed; however, my instinct is to be worried for the baby and other animals.  What about the pit bull rescue?  Were you able to get information from this group?
    I hope your job is going better.

Red, it was 3 degrees F in my town last night.  DD gave us a gift of two very warm faux fur throws for the sofas; and now I don't want to get off the sofa.  Today it was above freezing and the snow is starting to shrink.

I am feeling much better but still congested with the sinus thing.  DH got sick and stayed home this week so far.  It lasts and lasts...I am back to work but it is so quiet I don't mind.
    Stay warm everyone...

• edwards750
    edited January 2017

Glad you are feeling better Joan. DH and I have been sick forever too - me allergies - him - sinus. I am so tired of sneezing. It's warm today here like in the 60s - tomorrow will be in the 70s then cold again. No wonder our sicknesses won't go away.

Diane

• josie123
    edited January 2017

Brookside and Joan thanks.

Not sure how to comment Sew. I know you mean well. The boyfriend isn't much better than the dog.

I really am in a difficult situation in my life right now. My youngest daughter asked me to take her to the hospital Wednesday night. They will decide Monday how long she will be there

• MostlySew
    edited January 2017

Josie....OMG, is your youngest daughter in the hospital now? She's still in middle school, isn't she? I'm so sorry to hear she's ill and hospitalized. You've got way too much on your plate right now and I'm glad you're close with your family and hope they can pitch in to help. Let us know how your youngest is doing.

((Hugs)

• brooksidevt
    edited January 2017

Oh, Josie! I so deeply wish things could be easier. I'm tremendously proud of your youngest for having the strength and wisdom to ask for help. I suspect she gets her pluck from her Mom. You might not feel particularly strong right now, but to your children you will always be their rock.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited January 2017

((((Josie))))

Heart

• josie123
    edited January 2017

Thanks April , Sew,Brookside, you just made me cry a little. First time since she was admitted. I've been there every night to see her even in the ice storm we had Friday. She's at the hospital where I work. But visiting hours are only 5:30-6:30 every night. They made an exception for me Friday because they knew I wouldn't be able to make it out any later so they let me see her like 12:45pm. My DH has either the flu or bad cold not sure but his father got the flu this week and he even had the flu shot. She wanted her dad to come see her by himself last night but since he was sick I brought her friend and surprised her. Almost brought her to tears. We played cards and the one little boy that I haven't seen have one visitor asked me if he could hug me when I left. Of course I said yes. There is way too many teens that are struggling and need help. But some aren't in great situations either. Maybe he is a foster child and maybe no one cares enough to even visit

• MostlySew
    edited January 2017

Josie, I'm so very sorry this is going on. Your daughter is one strong lady to ask for help, and just doing that is a big hurdle to getting better. I feel quite sorry for the boy in the next bed but am happy that you're there to give him hugs too. All kids need hugs whether they know it or not. Here's hoping DH gets better soon and can visit with her. Keep your chin up girl, this is yet another test of your strength and I'm sure you'll pass with flying colors. ThumbsUpHeart (((Josie 's whole family)))

• josie123
    edited January 2017

thanks sew

• josie123
    edited January 2017

Just got back from urgent care with DH he is positive for Strep and Fl

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited January 2017

hugs Josie. does ur daughter have the flu? Nasty stuff this yr. Hope hubby is feeling better with antibiotics & hope u don't catch it.