Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2017

Mine either Brookside. In fact my DH was told his other eye had traces of cataracts but not advanced enough to do the surgery now. They like to wait afew months between surgeries anyway. I kind of wish he could have had the other one done and gotten it over with plus it would have been paid for 100%.

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2017

Well today my pressure is 6 & 10, almost too low, so I go off the pill now. Monday 8am Downtown in rush hour to Dr office to have surgery on the other eye. She doesn't do the cataracts & has to refer me so I'll find out more when that happens.

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited June 2017

Charger you will love your new eyes with the cataract surgery. Here I am having my own eyeglass problems. Long story. Let's just say I can't get a decent prescription from the best medical facility in the state. More than once.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2017

Hi all,
    I was last on in mid-May. I traveled to California to see my son and came home to start my summer teaching job 3 nights a week 4.5 hours a night. It has been quite difficult - harder every year. Last evening I took them on a field trip to a rocky beach (some rocks bigger than pickup trucks)...and lots of hills to hike along. Whew! We hiked back to our cars along the beach in full sun.

So, I read back everything....it has been busy around here. I am so glad to hear/see so much sharing of information - that is why we come here and then we like to talk too!
    Diane, I am glad you got a good report on the mammo. I don't feel anxiety but there is always that nagging feeling and tears to fight back when I get my good report immediately after.
    I am sorry to hear the babies' mother has been difficult. It is great how you support your son. I hope that soon he will be able to have a place of his own. Isn't joint custody a good choice for your son? I would think so.. Also sorry to hear about your DH's tremors and the unwanted diagnosis. I hope you find the right approach. My DH has tremors when he is doing fine motor work, Some days it is very noticeable; others, not.

Fran, you don't waste time - after downtime, you are busy again. I did not make your pocket party, but I can join in sharing your news that nothing was found so far. I hope you can put this behind you.
    Sew, you are such a fountain of useful information! I was surprised to hear that Agent Orange may be associated with tremors. We think my DH was exposed to AO which would explain why three of my children experienced birth defects from very serious to the rare twinning of the reproductive organs. We have not been able to prove it and there is only one disease that the government recognizes as a result of military service in a war zone. But now that Dh has tremors, it is a possible connection.

6cats - if you are still following here, I had a lot of itchy skin post-rads. I used a lot of lotion. I noticed when I dried with a towel that skin was shedding in small patches. I started rubbing the loose skin and the entire nipple skin came off at once. To this day, I have lost the pigment on the rads side. Bizarre! If it bothered me I could certainly remedy. It is just one of those things, as you said, that nobody tells you.

Brookside, you also bring a lot of good information here. I did not know about the rads strength vs the feeble shielding we put our faith in. Interesting about the scatter.
    I have not had problems with the heating up of the skin. I do try to put spf 50 on in the summer because my bathing suits and some tops are low.

Fran, Iove the dress you posted in memory of our girly-girl Princess Kate (Joyce). Three years have passed....and I still think of her. She had so much going on with her health and bad doctors and bad history with her husband....and a good family that she hardly saw back in Chicago. I will never forget her brave trip home to see everyone. She was battling painful legs and yet just kept going. When she got back to California, she just seemed to be ready to rest and not fight any more. I am so glad she saw her family.
    Sending hugs and prayers for whatever your need is....
    As my job ends, I hope to catch up with everyone and maybe a few lost friends here.
    Shout out to Cindy, Janis, and Gigil...and so many others who are missed!

While in California, I had a very special day....and I do not think someone here would mind if I mention it....
    We planned for Mostly Sew, SAB and myself to meet for lunch. SAB was not feeling well that day, but Sew drove down from the north to meet up.
    The time went fast, but it was great to visit. We had done it before, but it had been 2 whole years!
    Here is our selfie....Sew, I hope you don't mind - I know you like this pic. SAB, we missed you so much!

Joan811 and Mostly Sew - Bay Area, California, May 2017

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2017

hi Joan.....I was just thinking this morning that I might need to get on and post this picture. What fine looking ladies we are! And yes, we did have fun. I'm so glad that we've gotten to meet up several times. And SAB we will catch up with you again one day also. Joan, it sounds like you're working much too hard, as usual, but perhaps you can now take a few weeks of summer off and enjoy the beach

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

Joan & Sew what sneaky little critters u r lol! LOVE the picture. You both look amazing. Duper Big Hugs.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2017

Thanks, Charger, sounds like you're doing better? I sure hope so.......

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

Very weak, very tired. Guess what I found out.....Glaucoma can be triggered by anesthetics!

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

Thanks for checking in Joan and the words of encouragement for DS and DH. Joint custody is the best solution. That will mean I'll be babysitting atleast one week day. That's fine with me I'm happy to help and though exhausted I love having them. They have a court date July 5 but it's just preliminary legal stuff.

I'm sure the grind of summer classes is getting old. How much longer are you going to do that?

I love the pic of you guys. I wish we could all meet up somewhere at a neutral site.

I didn't know that either Charger. That's scary.

Our pastor at church is being transferred to another parish. We had a going away picnic for him. The congregation is pretty upset about it. He has whittled down church debt and 400 people have joined the church since he has been at our church. He is very creative and a good sense of humor. Idk who our new priest is yet.

The babies are here so I'm off to kiss them goodnight. They went swimming in the big pool today for the first time. Our neighborhood has one. DS and DH took them. Jackson liked it, James not so much. He likes his kiddie pool better!

Diane

• marijen
    edited June 2017

Well charger, good to know but not good for you. I hope they record it in your file, so you never have this problem again. For your own records try to get a copy of the specific medicine that caused the problem. I've seen it noted in my records in sort of a hidden place in the hospital admittance records, what meds they injected etc.

• marijen
    edited June 2017

So, I had another eye exam this morning because the one I had in Jan didn't produce a good prescription. Now I have cloudiness of the vitrious. Since we've been talking eyes a lot I'm wonder if any one has any comments or experience on this? If it isn't one thing it's another.

Mostly Sew my fabric is here and it's very nice, good quality, stretchy. If I had a machine I could make a tank out of it or something. As it is I'll just cut two pieces and sew them into my compression bra.

Have a great Sunday everyone.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2017

Marijen, I've got that ... hit suddenly while waking and I had about a billion floaters all converging, couldn't see a thing. Quite scary . After emergency Opthamalogist appointment, it turned out to be the vitreous fluid. Eye Dr called it "aging eyes", don't ya just love it. They've settled down and I only have half a billion floaters now which no longer bother me unless I look for them. I've got some great shapes of those floaters I must say. Glad you like the fabric, it should would just basting it into the bra. Let us know how it works.

• marijen
    edited June 2017

Mostly Sew the optometrist said the opthmalogist can do something about it like lasik surgery? But I have manmade lenses from cataract surgery I don't have the floaters yet. Coming overnight IS very scary. That's just great! Thks for your feedback.

• joan811
    edited June 2017

Oh I wish we could all meet up at least once a year!
    Anyone who is in the "greater" northeast can let me know if you want to plan something....
    Diane, when our pastor of 25+ years left to "retire" to Florida, our church became divided. My husband and I eventually left as we did not like all the things that were being said or were going on. I never really connected with my new church. It is a very hard thing to adjust to. Our former pastor never ran up debt; did not buy a lot of unnecessary things, and made individual home visits to many of us. He still stops here when he visits in NY. I hope your church can be strong and single-minded. It usually will never be the same; but be grateful for knowing a good man who had the best interests of the church in his actions.
    It is nice that you will have the babies once a week.

Sew, I'm glad you were thinking like I was....it just took me a long time to get those photos out.

Fran, I did not know that anesthetics (/) can contribute to eye issues. I have had IV sedation multiple times and will again soon. Is that one of the things that causes the glaucoma?

I attended my granddaughter's moving up day from 5th grade to middle school. It was a great day and I was so happy to see 2 of my grandkids who live closest.
    Now they are all off to camp for 3 to 8 weeks depending on the ages.

I have not had a free day since before Memorial Day. This week end was a day out with friends for tea at the Arboretum Manor House. Fun! Then day an all day wedding affair for my grand-nephew. It was fun but I am tired. I have had gastric distress since last week (a catered party)...and today was bad on the way home. I never get these things and this is new. I should get checked.

Well I am up late .... I only have 3 more night classes. There is a LOT to do over the next 4 days and grades to post. It never ends!

I hope everyone had a great week end. The weather was nice here except for Saturday morning's downpours.
    Nite all!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2017

So nice to see your smiling faces, Joan and Sew!

I'm always up for a meet. I live in southern Vermont, have kids in Connecticut and on Long Island, so am very happy to meet any and/or all anywhere in driving distance from any of these places.

I have one of those floaters that was really annoying me a couple of years ago. My eye doc said he could blast it with a laser, but that all the laser does is break up the target floater into multiple tiny pieces. No thanks. I'd rather the one that comes and goes. With multiples, I'm guessing at least one would always be annoying me. Oh, and also, he said these things are just one more lovely sign of age. Joy. Well, at least we've achieved enough years to be "eligible" for floaters!

• marijen
    edited June 2017

There are other surgeries that clear out the debris in the vitreous gel to get rid of the floaters altogether. One is a simple outpatient one. I have a vitreous haze, no floaters and it's affecting my eyesight out of one eye. Also checked a visit summary and I have PVD posterior vitreous detachment. I guess it wasn't important to mention to by the opthmalogist, because no symptoms. Any kind of sudden eye change calls for a Dr. ASAP.

• edwards750
    edited June 2017
    I live in Tennessee but I would love to hook up with you guys in your neck of the woods. I've never been to Vermont or Connecticut. I know they are beautiful states.

We are trying to get over losing Father Ernie, Joan. He has only been pastor for 3 years but he has re-energized our church in so many ways. My DH doesn't like him because he says he is too much like a drill sergeant. His delivery does need work sometimes. We know the bishop is transferring him in part to a parish that desperately needs someone like him. Their financial situation is dire at best. I can't imagine losing someone like you did for that many years.

DS and I had a falling out Sat night. One of the rules of our house is no sleepovers of the female persuasion. I'm no Puritan and certainly well aware of what has happened and continues to happen but not in my house. He disrespected me and my rules so I told him it's time to move. His initial reaction was surprise and arrogance. DH and I told him given his attitude we are bailing on babysitting the kids this weekend. He and his GFF are going to St. Louis for the weekend. We had initially agreed to watch the twins. Not now. He said he would find someone else. He needs a back up regardless. So the line is drawn in the sand.

He then sent a text apologizing for being disrespectful and not being as appreciative of all we have done for him. While that's appreciated it doesn't change things as far as we are concerned. He is sending his app in for this house he wants to rent. There are several ahead of him. Houses go fast here renting or buying.

Bottom line is DH and I aren't budging on babysitting. We need a break anyway. He has taken us for granted too much. No more. We love those babies but we have a life too.

Sorry about all the eye issues you guys are having. I don't have the aging eyes just yet but I'm sure it's coming.

Diane
  • marijen
    edited June 2017

I'm still on the eyes here. This is from a very trusted friend:

"there is a slightly increased risk of retinal tears and microbleeds with Letrozole and Bisphosphonates.(one study said the risks of microvascular bleeds was 11%)"

• marijen
    edited June 2017

• Retinal detachment: precursors are PVD, asymptomatic retinal breaks, symptomatic retinal breaks, lattice degeneration and cystic and zonular traction. Nearly all patients with a symptomatic clinical RRD will progressively lose vision unless the detachment is repaired:
      • Asymptomatic new retinal breaks lead to detachment in about 5% of cases.
      • Symptomatic new retinal breaks progress to detachment in 50% of cases.
    • High myopes (ie refraction of -6.00 or greater) are at increased risk of complications from a PVD, due to thinning of the retina as it is stretched along a longer eye.

See more at https://patient.info/doctor/posterior-vitreous-det...

• marijen
    edited June 2017

2012 Aug;19(8):942-7. doi: 10.1097/gme.0b013e3182443137.

Estrogen deficiency accelerates aging of the optic nerve.

Vajaranant TS1, Pasquale LR.

Abstract

The aim of this study was to provide a comprehensive review on hormone-based pathophysiology of aging of the optic nerve and glaucoma, including a literature review and expert opinions. Glaucoma, a group of intraocular pressure-related optic neuropathies, is characterized by the slow progressive neurodegeneration of retinal ganglion cells and their axons, resulting in irreversible visual sensitivity loss and blindness. Increasing evidence suggests that glaucoma represents the accelerated aging of the optic nerve and is a neurodegenerative disease of the central nervous system. This review highlights the high burden of glaucoma in older women and the importance of understanding the hormone-related pathophysiology of optic nerve aging and glaucoma in women. Strong epidemiological, clinical, and experimental evidence supports the proposed hypothesis that early loss of estrogen leads to premature aging and increased susceptibility of the optic nerve to glaucomatous damage. Future investigations into the hormone-related mechanisms of aging and glaucoma will support the development of novel sex-specific preventive and therapeutic strategies in glaucoma.

PMID:
    PMCID:
    PMC3376696
    DOI:
    10.1097/gme.0b013e3182443137
    [Indexed for MEDLINE]
    Free PMC Article
  • marijen
    edited June 2017

So.... has anyone heard from charger?

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

So, Mon I had surgery in left eye. Guess I need to have a bunch of testing done at next appointment. My surgeon is now on maternity leave for 3 mos. Not sure if replacement is going to do testing or not. Go July 24th. yesterday I started getting bright flashes in Right eye. after 5 hours of trying to find someone, anyone to tell me if that is normal or not, I got ahold of Dr. It is not normal & I should not be having this. So this morning I go back into city for 8 am. I feel bad taking hubby from work. Friday before long weekend & boss is away so he is in charge. Course everyone & their dog wants to go camping & every salesman wants their paperwork put through for todays paycheque. it is what it is. Finding it hard to do nothing all day.

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

So sorry Charger. Dang girl you can't get a break. Bad timing for DH but I'm glad he is with you. Keep us posted.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2017

Not to alarm you, but flashes in eye mean you need to get to an ophthlamologist asap.

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

everything is ok.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2017

Happy dance!

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

Yea Charger!

Diane

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited July 2017

Just lost my long post last night😥. So.... I will try later. No time before running off to work.

Fran, so sorry about your recent eye issues. I had no idea about the glaucoma and link with anesthesia

• edwards750
    edited July 2017

Hope everyone had a nice July 4th. I watched the Capitol celebration. It was really good. Singers were awesome. Always makes me feel more patriotic.

DS is moving Friday. He found a rental he likes. I'll miss him but it's time. Love the twins but I'm exhausted from having them visit/stay every weekend. I'm sure we will babysit a lot but it won't be a set schedule every weekend.

We have bought them a lot but I'll probably let DS take some things to his house. His court date is tomorrow. Only preliminary and his lawyer said he doesn't have to go. Praying it goes well.

Have a good week everyone!

Diane

• joan811
    edited July 2017

Hi, checking in!
    Quiet here....everyone having a 4th of July letdown?
    I finished my course on June 29th. I did grades Friday...couldn't focus so was up until 4am. I slept until 1pm last Saturday.
    This past week was nice....had lunch at my favorite spot on the water, and dinner outside on Main Street in town another day. We saw fireworks
    My granddaughter Caroline (6) came to visit with her dad (my DD is divorced and his family lives near me). We went to the ocean for awhile then shopping in our little town at her favorite shop. She got a cute hat and a toy. She was supposed to sleep over but she really missed her mom and did not want to stay.
    So much going on....a new boyfriend moved in with my DD (serious, engaged now) and he has a daughter and 2 dogs now...so Caroline was homesick and probably a little jealous that the "step" sister was home with her mom. So I let it go...no sleep over but I actually was tired.

Last night we went to see James Taylor and Bonnie Raitt at Jones Beach Theater on the bay. We were only 6 rows from the stage, and it was so much fun. At the very end of the show, it started raining on us and nobody cared...everybody stayed. We were drenched. And they just kept singing (stage was enclosed).

I had a cardiologist appointment...next week I have blood work, PCP physical, and dental molds for August oral surgery. I also scheduled a cardiac stress test and echo. I need a Sloan appt. and mammo. I only get to see the NP now in "survivorship". It does not interest me but they told me I cannot get a mammo appt. if I do not see her. Grrrrrrr.
    We are traveling to Cape Cod next week end. It is a "free" trip for us - business. I do not want to go!!! DH is at conferences all week and we share a car....our hotel is not walking distance to anything. The beaches are pretty but I have a beach right here that is not as crowded. One incentive is it is near my DD in MA so I may go visit with them for one of the days. DH wants me to go.

OK then...two days after we get back from Cape Cod I booked another trip to visit my friends who used to live in Colorado. They moved to northern Montana and it is twice as long to get there and more costly. But her DH has rare leukemia and had subsequent bladder cancer. He had so many blood transfusions to sustain his life that now he has too much hemoglobin and they have to remove it...or else it will become toxic for him. I do not know how much longer he will live. We cannot visit during the fall...too long a trip. Winter is too risky to travel north. I truly hope he lives for many years but each year he gets weaker and has more challenges. We have to go. It will be good to see them.

Josie, I hope you come back on and re-create your long post! (I hate when I lose my post)

Fran, I do hope the eyes are stabilizing. I had temporary eye damage from looking into a UV light at close range. It caused bright white flashes in the corner at night; and multiplied floaters; and big spidery strings. It did all calm down but when it happened it was darn scary. My next eye exam showed no evidence of damage. I am sorry to hear your doctor is out for 3 months. I hope you get all your needs met and that the replacement doc is just as good.

Diane, wow....you are stronger than I am. We struggled with the girlfriend issues here for awhile. Once my kid is serious or they move in together, we usually let go and accept the rooming in. My DH had big problems with it though. When my DD had my first grandchild, she was single. We took in Kyle while she went to college in NYC. One week end she did not come home until 5am. My Dh literally threw her out of the house, as we were caring for her son. After a few months with a despicable guy, she humbly came home and no more of that. We ended up raising Kyle through college. DD married a very wealthy man and we paid for college. Very very complex issues. I am a pushover and DH is a drill Sergeant. I am very very glad those days are in the past. All kids and Kyle are on their own have jobs and do not ask for anything much anymore.
    Good luck with the new arrangements. It seems your son is taking responsibility and seeing the advantages of having his own place. It was good of him to acknowledge his taking advantage of your home.

Time to think about dinner and a few needs from the store.
    I hope your week end is good and weather cooperating.
    Joan