Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2017

Sorry for the double post

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2017

well at least he's a responsible daddy unlike Maisie Daddy. Good luck to him and be sure to let him know the babies are lucky to have a daddy like him

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Thanks Josie. He is a good father. He has his boys every weekend. He takes them to the park and plays with them in the backyard. Last weekend James woke up crying and he took care of him for hours until he went back to sleep. We help but he takes care of them. Clearly crazy about them and they are him. He shows them off every chance he gets. X GFF's parents don't want to keep them until they can talk. Seriously. Unbelievable.

I'm sorry Maisie's father doesn't realize what a wonderful blessing he has with her. Hope he realizes thaf before it's too late. Even babies as young as ours are are sensitive to parents behavior.

It's a good thing she has you and your DH.

Off to garage sale and taking boys to DH's rugby game. It's a semifinal game for a team he helps coach. Tomorrow I'm off to Collierville's annual Fair on the Square.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Happy Mother's Day!

Diane

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

imageimage

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Pics of boys taking a dip in new kiddie pool!

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2017

Hi all,
    Just checking in and wanting to wish the moms a Happy Mother's Day!
    As moms who have had BCC, we cherish each day , each child and each grandchild even more than before.  I am so grateful for my family.
    We have rain in NY area all day Saturday into Sunday. 
    I will go to CT to have lunch with DD & grandkids and one son.
    I have two more classes then a 2 week break before summer semester begins. 
    Summer will be crazy through the end of June, then I have off for about 7 weeks.
    Diane, I love your photo of the pool fun!  It doesn't take much to please toddlers.
    It is not even close to being warm here.  But I hear it is going to warm up at the end of this week.  I have been shopping for clothes that are not black!
    Enjoy the special day for Mothers.  Anyone can be a mother....to furbababies, even!

xoxo
    Joan

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Thanks Joan. Enjoy your Mother's Day too! DH and son and I are having dinner together tonight at a place called Char. It's a bit pricey but I'm worth it!

Those little guys are easily entertained thankfully. They are just now starting to talk. Idk what language yet. Haha.

I miss my Mom so much today. I took flowers to the cemetery yesterday. One of my brothers beat me to it(the one who has ostracized the family) so I put flowers on my other 2 brothers graves. I always bring flowers for all of them no matter what the holiday.

For those of you who still have your mothers cherish each day you have with them.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2017

Diane,
    So sad to think of our moms sometimes....my mom was 79...I so wanted to celebrate her 80th with her.  She had chronic leukemia and lived 12 years (the max).  I just wanted more!  She was so healthy otherwise.  I learned so much from my mom...about classical music and Broadway songs, books, art, fashion, modern furniture, politics, volunteering...my mom never had a college education but she was so educated!  My 2 year college graduation was on her 75th birthday...and of course I went to her party instead.  She did not live to see me get my BS or MS...but I owe her a lot for my love of learning.
    Her birthday is May 21 and she would have been 97. 

It must be tough that your living brother is estranged from the family.

How is your son doing now that he has split from the GF?  I hope he is more relaxed and can start to think of himself and how to best negotiate life with his boys.  He is so fortunate to have your support.

Any plans for spring?

My last class is over.  Tomorrow morning I grade finals then relax.  I have two days at work then a week's vacation visiting my son.  I need it!  I will work the month of June then have 6 weeks off. 
    Unfortunately, I need dental work and summer is the best time to go through it.

Hope to see more friends checking in!
    xoxo

Joan

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

My mother taught me a lot too Joan. She didn't have a college education either she was educated too. She was an exceptional interior decorator. I wish she had had the opportunity to have a career with that. A mother of 7 children and my father who was a college grad worked for a non-profit so you know money was tight. She was very resourceful thankfully and somehow they managed to send us all to private Catholic schools.

I have tried to follow in her footsteps as a mother. I have a number of her things in my house that she painted. She was a tole painter and loved it. I can't paint by numbers.

Thanks. My son is more relaxed. He has grown up so much. Living with us has allowed him to have a social life too. I know it's only temporary because he wants his own place and he should. He has steadily stockpiled furniture for his new place. I just hope they can resolve the custody issue and move on for the sake of the children.

Those little guys are everything to him. His X GFF is opposed to joint custody. For the life of me I can't figure out why because she gets a break even though she is working, from all 4 kids 7 days a week. I guess she is still angry about his leaving.

I'm glad you are getting a break. Dental work - ugh. I have to do the same sometime this summer.

My sister turns 70 in September. My BIL is having health issues but is getting better. We want to have a party for her for her birthday. She lives in Kennesaw, Georgia.

I hope DH and I can take a vacation even for a weekend. He got the official DX he does have Parkinson's disease. For now he only has hand tremors. The doctor said there are meds and even a low risk surgery that will help manage them. He also told him he could have them for years and it might be the only symptom he exhibits. They just don't know at this point. We were braced for the news but still disappointing. DH is handling it well. Me not so much but I suffer/cry in silence.

I am sure God will help us through this like Hehas every other crisis in our lives so I am keeping the faith.

Enjoy your time with your son.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Had my mammo today - all good thankfully. One of these days I might be able to go without having an anxiety attack. I'm amazed how calm the other women are. Wish I could be. Maybe in time.

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited May 2017

Hi. all! Been busy with outside work, transplanting trees, weeding flower beds, moving bulbs. My housework is so behind. We also removed sod to move my garden closer to the pump. Soon I can plant my garden. Fruit trees are finally starting to bloom but today we are under a storm watch & I'm afraid the 70-100 klm hr winds will blow away the blooms.

I'm still battling this bronchitis! Have head ct in June, fingers crossed. I just want a diagnoses for these hand tremors.

Went for my first Reiki treatment yesterday. Very relaxing. Then I got a free psychic reading. That was amazing.

Glad to see all the clear mammograms. Take Care Fran

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Fran - hope you feel better. You are always so busy. Good for you though. It's chilly and rainy here. I'm done with planting.

Hand tremors? All the time or occasional? My husband has them but he has Parkinson's Disease. The Dr said they could give him meds to help manage them but he wants to wait and see because the last ones he took threw him for a loop so he quit taking them. I'm sure there are scores of others he might try. Time will tell.

Okay what is a Reiki treatment?

Diane

• 70charger
    edited May 2017

I will try this again as my power went out when I hit the submit button.

Reiki is the realignment of your chakra & qi (chee) your body energy.

during chemo I had hand tremors & speech difficulty, couldn't get words out & stuttering. 3 yrs later, I get the tremors whenever I use fine motor skills such as writing or holding a knife to chop veggies. If I'm tired or under extreme stress it also presents. It is mostly on my surgery side which is opposite from my infusion side. I want to know why. My Dr says I'm just getting old. These are not little shakes but big swinging shakes. I basically can no longer write or sign my name. I want to know if it is something or just chemo damage.

Terrible storm yesterday, even the international airport had to close. 90klm/hr winds with rain. Most people got off early due to power outages. I lost a tree & have 2 that now lean. My house & garage are covered with leaves. Lots of branches & bark on my lawns. I was out in it trying to dismantle the gazebo we just put up. What a sight! Think of 5' 3 me holding on to a 10' x 12' kite in 60 - 90 winds & rain!

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Yikes Fran! Be careful girl.

Getting old is his DX? Are you kidding me? Of course aging comes with more physical ailments but his theory just doesn't compute to me.

My DH had a dopamine test that confirmed he had the Parkinson's syndrome. The other possibility was essential tremors. I'm wondering if that's what you have. His doctor told him he had Parkinson's disease - with "capital "P" versus the disease with lower case "p" which typically is related to meds. It would have been much better had he had the latter.

His tremors are constant. If he experienced them only at rest they would be labeled essential tremors. A lifelong issue but at least not the "P" word. There are meds out there that can help manage them and even a low risk surgery.

Regardless it's something your Dr hasn't defined yet. I don't see how he can lump it into the aging process. I would get a second opinion.

Stay safe.

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2017

Hi Charger and Diane,

My Mom has had Essential Tremors for the last 25+ years and I thought I'd chime in here. Diane, the ET tremors occur not only at rest. In fact, generally when a person with it sleeps, the shakes stop or at least calm down. They can affect the entire body as my Mom now has, but generally start with the extremities....hands being the most troublesome as you'd expect. Frequently Essential Tremors are called "intentional tremors" in that your hands will be fine, until you try to use your fine motor skill, like cutting something, or feeding yourself, or using a keyboard, then your tremors take over. There are 2 drugs my mom takes for them, and they work sort of. The Dr's usually change them up (give more, give less, remove one or the other etc.) and that will help for awhile. It is an inherited disease but they don't know much about it, primarily because 2 generations ago people didn't live long enough to come down with the disease. There is an Essential Tremor Foundation, who produces a Tremor Talk magazine with lots of information. My Mom has been being studied by Yale university for the last 20 years and will be donating her brain to them to study when she dies. They are working on this disease.

That said, Charger I'm sorry you've got a tremor in your hands, I know from watching my Mom all these years what it's like to deal with that. In fact, she and I laugh about going out to dinner 10+ years ago when she wanted button mushrooms which were served in a small cast iron pan. She ended up throwing those things all over the restaurant.....her tremor was bad that night! Diane, I'm sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis of Parkinson's, that too is a difficult disease. A friend of mine got it at age 40, they think from Agent Orange from Vietnam or something. He actually did have the surgery and got his life back for many years. He was able to drive again and be independent, so they're making progress.

So, that's what I know about that!

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2017

I think it's you doctor who's getting old!

• 6cats
    6cats Member Posts: 199
    edited May 2017

The things they don't tell you about radiation recovery. My nipple is peeling!Singing

• edwards750
    edited May 2017

Thanks Brookside. So sorry your Mom is suffering from the tremors. For now it's the only symptom DH has. Of course it's annoying and a concern because he felt the need to explain to his co-workers and boss what was going on.

Monday night we were at a Club dinner sitting with people we didn't know and he saw one of the guys staring at his hands. It's the first time he has admitted he felt self conscious about them.

I know several people who had debilitating SEs right off the bat. Falling, illegible handwriting and the tremors. One person saw a physical therapist who treated her for a few months and then released her saying she couldn't do anything else for her.

Michael J. Fox was 29 when he was DX. I watched The Good Wife before it ended last year. He made several guest appearances on the show. It was heartbreaking to see him struggle. I think he is in his 50s now.

You and Fran have a nice weekend and holiday! The twins are coming in the morning. DS is off tomorrow. Gotta do a quick child proofing of our house!

Diane

• 70charger
    edited May 2017

Edwards & sew Thanks for the input.

Brookside, I agree. I've been thinking of looking for a new Dr. We have several Dr's here but most are not accepting new patients. Seems the older Dr.s, including mine are the ones accepting new patients. It is stupid because u have to wait 1 hr + in the waiting room as it is. he has used that line more than once with me. Even my NP does not agree with that. At least he ordered the CT, which makes me happy.

Our long weekend was last week, have a good weekend.

Spent hrs cleaning up branches after the big storm here. Today we will have to figure out how to get at the downed trees as we don't have a chainsaw. Might rent one. Gonna try planting the garden as well.

6Cats yes there is a lot they just let u find out about all on your own. Treat the peeling like a sunburn, watch for infection, don't scratch the itch as it starts to heal. Make sure to put sunscreen on that area when u r outside (for life) as the sun excites the radiation in ur body & will recall it to work again. I have to wear 100% UV protective tops (for life) as I ended up with Radiation Recall Dermatitis. The tops are Very Expensive, but I have no choice.

Take care ladies. Fran

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

For life Fran? Ugh. Sorry about that.

We had a brutal storm last weekend. Knocked out power for 188,000 customers. We were blessed not to be one of them. There are still 20k without power today. Trees down all over town but mostly in midtown. Multiple crews called in from other towns and states.

We had a nice Memorial Day. Twins were here until about 9 pm because X GFF was late as usual picking them up and wouldn't let them stay foranother night and have DS take them home in the morning. Sigh. It seems the tug of war between she and my son is ongoing. Poor darlings were tired. Past their bedtime.

2017 has been a difficult year with DH's DX and now DD has kidney cancer. She will have surgery in a few weeks. Chemo and/or radiation not responsive to her cancer. They found it on a scan. Had stomach pains fir some time but doctors said it was appendicitis. She has 4 kids. Oldest daughter in junior year at Furman. Youngest is her son at 7 years old. Two other daughters 15 and 16. Her 2nd husband is helping her. She lives in Chattanooga. DH are planning to be there for her surgery. She and I are not close. Long Rikki Lake kind of story for another time. She is painfully thin and just lost her job in April. Please pray for her.

Hope all you MIA friends drop in to say hi.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

Well it is that time of year again. Seems like yesterday, where did 3 years go. Rest in peace dear KateHudson25. Such a classy princess warrior.

.image

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

Amen Fran. Beautiful dress. I can't believe it's been that long.

Diane

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited June 2017

RIP dear lady...sigh...

Diane, so sorry about DD...sheesh, when it rains as they say. ((((Hugs))))

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

Thanks April. The priest at my church said God doesn't give you more than you can handle. I'm pretty close.

Duane

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

Can't even type my name correctly. Good grief.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

imageimage

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

And then there are my blessings. Little guys helping Grandpa Bill lay hardwood floor. I bought them toolboxes but they want to use Grandpa's BIG tools!

Diane

• 70charger
    edited June 2017

lol Boys will be boys!

But then All my girls did the same thing, and still do.

• edwards750
    edited June 2017

imageimage