Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited June 2018

Hope everyone is doing well. Had my annual mammo today. All good. So relieved. 7 years out in August. Nervous wreck of course. Couldn’t sleep last night. I guess I will always have anxiety about the results. The gift that keeps on giving. No guarantees but happy today. God is good.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2018

Great news, Diane.  I think I know a little about how you feel.  It's not only the mammograms, but today I had an appointment to review the latest ultrasound of my thyroid.  Six months ago, one of the nodules looked pretty suspicious and I had a biopsy, which was sort of benign, but not particularly authoritively so.  I was pretty much expecting another biopsy.  When the nurse took my blood pressure, it was about 20 points higher than normal.  Stressed?  Ummm hmmm.  Luckily, the scan was fine, so I have another year before I have to worry about this again.  So, I think, do you.  

• edwards750
    edited June 2018
    I know you are so relieved too Brookside. Glad you are okay.

I’ve become more anxious - if that’s possible - since my sister’s BC came back. She was 4 years out with ILC when they found it near the chest wall and her MX scar. It’s not metastatic thankfully but still a recurrence.

She has to have shots every month. She has been through so much since her DX. Allergic to the dye for the scans which caused issues with her kidneys and now she has one kidney. She lives in another state but we do call each other and by text at least once a day. She’s very close to the vest so I don’t always know what’s going on unless she volunteers it. She did have radiation treatments this time around.

Have a good week!

Diane
  • josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2018

Diane,

congrats on your good mammogram. I know what you mean we all are just on pins and needles about any testing results since our cancer diagnosis.

Brookside,

So glad your thyroid results were clear. And your PE was so scary. I think it’s our biggest fear while taking Tamoxifen.

I had a US on my abdomen Monday to try and figure out if the gallbladder is the culprit of my bloating and pain under my diaphragm. Well they found 2 small cysts on my liver. My primary doctor said he didn’t think they were the cause of my symptoms and my gallbladder, pancreas and liver looked fine besides the cysts. I was a little scared until I heard from my oncologist confirming that there was no cause for concern because apparently cysts are common in people my age.

Whew!! That’s a relief. Got to go to work.

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

Thanks Josie and so glad you are okay too.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2018

Josie, I didn't know cysts in the liver were common, but I'm sooooo happy they're just that and absolutely nothing nasty was found.  On the other hand, it doesn't sound as though they found the source of your complaint.  

Actually, Josie, I never gave too much thought to the tamoxifen/clot thing.  I assumed that because, in hopes of avoiding vericose veins, I've always/usually elevated my legs when I sat/reclined on the couch, that I was pretty protected.  Apparently not.  And, stupidly, I knew something was wrong with my calf.  It looked bigger (and it was) and, when I walked on it, it felt as though a kind of muscle cramp was going on.  Normal people would have gone to the doc then and perhaps prevented the lung emboli.  I don't like to be alarmist.  Stupid!  But there seems to be no permanent damage.  Lucky!

There are blood tests for clotting times and clotting factors.  I wonder if those on tamoxifen can request that they be included with the annual blood work we all have.  If we knew that some of us, individually, had a little higher risk, perhaps we'd be more alert to changes.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited June 2018

Thanks Brookside and Diane.

Brookside,

Before I first started on Tamoxifen I insisted on them doing a clotting factor test. I guess Im glad they did but didn’t know that would require them to take like11 tubes of blood at one time

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited June 2018

Josie u scared me for a moment. Glad it was ok.

Glad it all worked out for u Brookside.

I have my tests coming up in July, stupid system here won't do tests til you have passed exactly 1 yr from your last tests. My esophageal hernia is still bothering me. But it is not big enough yet to warrant surgery. Feeling really good since I went off my AI (6months early) was just done with pain in joints & feeling 80-90 yrs old.

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

I wish I had known about the clotting factor test Josie. I don’t have a clot but I know it can be a side effect of Tamoxifen. Actually I had a blood clo when I was 16 years old. A girl kicked me in a soccer game and weeks later the clot had developed and moved up my leg to my thigh and I couldn’t walk, it was scary. The hospital put my leg under a heat lamp and gave me blood thinners. The doctors couldn’t believe someone so young had a blood clot.

My oncologist said since I had children she wasn’t concerned about my developing a clot from Tamoxifen.

I know about that one year exactly Fran. Our insurance won’t approve even one day early.

Diane

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited June 2018

Hi, everyone. Just dropping in to catch up and see everyone's posts. I haven't been online much because we have been away so much; we attended three funerals last week alone. Two were in their 90s, but one was only 66 and died from long term complications after cancer surgery last year. So sad; only two years older than I. I saw my oncologist last week, and she ordered blood work to check tumour markers; the two are down but one is still slightly elevated, so she will repeat the blood work in two months. She said that if they are up then, she will order further tests. The only thing left would be a PET scan. When I said my surgeon said I would never be considered for a PET scan unless I was Stage IV, my oncologist said "if I want you to have a PET scan, you WILL have it". My nursing friends in Winnipeg tell me that that is very true. She gets what she wants, and they feel I have the best oncologist available in Manitoba, so I consider myself fortunate. It is all very confusing but, but she says I am clear of cancer at this point, I refuse to worry about it.

I am feeling great though. Am enjoying the flowers and pottering around the house; today is a rainy one, so I feel like rearranging furniture. Don't know how hubby will feel about that! I am starting to feel like my old self again. Now, I must also get caught up on everyone's posts. Have a great week, all of you, and wishing you all the best.

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

Nancy - glad you dropped by. Sounds like you are doing well. Hope the tumor markers don’t elevate.

Your oncologist is correct as are most oncologists becausethey are your primary doctors now. It’s not your surgeon’s call. Your oncologist makes those decisions.

My BS told me I would get chemo when the Path report showed a micromet in my SN. My oncologist said she wanted me to have the Oncotype test and those results would determine my treatment. My score came back@11 so I dodged chemo.

Keep us posted. Have a good week!

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

Forgot to add my BS went so far as to order a port for me prior to my lumpectomy surgery. He was sure I was getting chemo. Thankfully I called the hospital about insurance before my surgery and told them I wasn’t getting one.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2018

Hey, guys, about only having blood drawn from the non-surgical arm?  I'm in the process of discovering my correct dosage of coumadin/warfarin and having blood drawn every couple of days.  My arm was getting sore.  I looked at my other arm and saw a nice, big, fat vein.  I asked if she could stick that vein without using a tourniquet.  Yes!  She could and she did, using one of those little butterfly needles..  Easy.  As far as I know, it is only the compression of the tourniquet that we have to avoid, no?

• 70charger
    edited June 2018

Brookside, the skin is now injured and the lymph nodes will be sending the army to repair it, therefore lymphedema may or may not begin. also risk of infection now that skin is broken. Like they tell you not to get any cuts on your hands & wear gloves when working with your hands etc. Correct me if I am wrong. You can have blood draws from your feet, I have had to have that when my good arm was being used for other things.

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2018

You're correct, of course.  I guess I remember a warning that a bee sting could start it.  Anyway, the next blood draw isn't until Monday, so leftie should be feeling pretty fine by then.

• 70charger
    edited June 2018

ThumbsUp

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

Dang Fran I hope you don’t get lymphodema. Brutal. Several ladies in my group at church have it. We didn’t realize it can happen years after surgery

I always tell them to draw from the non-surgical arm but I don’t have blood drawn very often. My surgery is my left arm so it gets tricky when I have my BP taken on those machines at Walmart. A nurse told me having it taken on my right arm shouldn’t impact the readings.

Somber news from a friend who moved out of state a few years ago. Last year she was DX with diabetes. A few days ago she got the dreaded news she has BC. No details yet. I feel so bad for her. Please pray for her. She lost her husband 5 years ago. He was a paraplegic for 20 years. Her faith is really being tested.

Thanks.

Keep us posted Fran.

Diane

• 70charger
    edited June 2018

Diane...Not me but Brookside that had that blood draw. Lol

• edwards750
    edited June 2018

Thanks Fran. Sorry Brookside I’m having yet another blond moment!

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited June 2018

Hi everyone, it is so good to see the group still plugging along....
    I guess for me, work is becoming overwhelming with the night time hours. I am nearing the end of the 5 week summer class - the one I said last year that I'd never do it again. Only 3 more classes.

The AC broke in my building at the college so my office and classroom are little ovens.

I am happy to hear about the "uneventful" scans reported here. I have to schedule mammo and bone density.

Things are good...slow to arrive summer. Only one beach day so far. I just visited my DD in Boston area, followed by a trip to CT for my grandson's graduation from middle school. Then we drove to DC (300 miles) this past week end. I may have to go back to Boston area daughter's as she is having surgery tomorrrow. She may want me to go and help with the kids.

After July 5th I will be off until Aug. 15th. It is after 1am and I need sleep....dentist in the morning!
    It is so good to see your photos.
    I will catch up a little more next time I am on.
    Love and hugs,

Joan811

• edwards750
    edited June 2018
    Glad to hear from you Joan. You are so busy. I’m sure you are looking forward to your time off!

No A/C? Brutal. We had a storm last weekend that knocked out power to a lot of homes. They finally got it all back on last Wednesday. It is very hot here and high humidity. It’s the norm in the South but still unbearable sometimes. I can’t imagine suffering through no a/c.

I would love to be on a beach right now but our vacation plans are a wedding in Savannah in October and a football game at Notre Dame in November. Both are going to be pricey but fun!

Twins are changing weekly. Went to Walmart and bought tricycles for them. DS took them home with him and the boys can already ride them. Went to Toys R Us for their final days opening and they had zilch left. I’m gonna miss their stores.

Our town has a big July 4th celebration the night of July 3rd. DS is bringing the twins over for the fireworks.

Hair appointment today thank goodness. My hairdresser and I have a mutual friend who was just DX with BC. She lives in South Carolina so we might do a road trip when she knows what the surgery and treatment plans are. She is a widow and lived with one of her sons.

Concert in the park tonight. DH’s company sponsors it with barbecue. Depends on the heat index whether I go or not.

Have a good weekend.

Diane
  • brooksidevt
    edited June 2018

So nice to hear from you, Joan.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember that each and every summer you declare, "Never again!"  Then, of course, the next year, you go right ahead and agree to teach that course.  Seems the rewards continue to be greater than the annoyances.  

Glad to hear all is well.  

Diane, our town has the state's longest running 4th of July celebration, with a parade that goes by, then turns around so you can see the other side.  Actually, as it comes back, the ribbons for best whatever are given out.  

• edwards750
    edited July 2018

How fun is that Brookside! I love parades!

Diane

• edwards750
    edited July 2018
    Hope everyone is doing okay. Waiting to hear what kind of BC a friend has. She lives in another state. Just got DX with diabetes last year and now this. Feel so bad for her. Such a sweet lady.

Posting pics of son and twins at our neighborhood park. We also have a huge swimming pool. The boys are changing so much. Talking more. Son’s X picked them up yesterday from our house. One of the twins seems to be more mommy and the other my son. It’s heartbreaking that James, the one who gravitates to my son and me for that matter, didn’t want to go with her. I can tell she probably makes a difference which infuriates me. She does the same thing with her girls. I feel so sorry for the kids. It’s clear she’s still vindinctive about the best breakup. She and my son are civil to each other for the sake of the boys but it’s still contentious. I have to bite my tongue sometimes.

Bought the boys tricycles. They got the reverse down but going forward is still a challenge. Haha! Looking for outdoor toys for their birthday. They already have a trampoline and cozy coupes.

DS is teaching them colors and numbers. Buys these kits from The Learning Tree. They aren’t that interested in TV which is good. He also reads to them the nights he has them. My DH did the same thing when my son was young.

Diane
  • edwards750
    edited July 2018

• 70charger
    edited July 2018

Time goes by so fast these days, kids grow up, & BAM! I hit my , 5 yr cancerversary. Tests next week though, not sure why I'm so nervous about it this time.

Saskatoons & peas R ready for picking, grandkids here, daughter having surgery tomorrow, oh & I booked us a trip to Mexico for a week in mid August. Going to need it after fruit & veggies r done. Hugs to all

• edwards750
    edited July 2018

Congrats on 5 years Fran! I understand you still get nervous at test time. Me too. Still it’s a milestone.

My grandsons are growing up too fast. 3 years old in September!

Have fun in Mexico!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2018

Charger, I also was thrown by how apprehensive I was about my five-year visits .  I suppose part of it was that from then on I'd see a nurse practitioner instead of my surgeon and would only see my onc once/year.  Somehow it felt kind of like I'd been tossed out of the net.   Going forward, I'll see my surgeon--oops! his nurse--in February and my onc in August.  At least I still get to have those two visits.  I know some of us are expected to sail off into the sunset after the five-year mark.  

Speaking of grandkids, Diane, the two young sons of my middle child have been in and out of their pool.  The other day it was sweltering and they spent most of the day skinny dipping.  Most of their bodies had a nice protective tan, but their little bottoms got sunburned!

• 70charger
    edited July 2018

Thanks! Since the day I finished active treatment I was thrown to the wolves, only see primary physician. Only saw onc twice, BS done 6 weeks after surgery, RO done 4 weeks after last Rad. Don't like it, especially the first 2 years. My primary basically can't answer any related questions for me, so I am here. Cannot say enough about the info in here. Luv u.

• edwards750
    edited July 2018
    Haha too cute Brookside. Our water bill has gone through the roof but it’s worth it. They have such fun playing in the pool. We pushed a slide into the pool so now they can slide into the water.

I haven’t seen my MO since my 5 year visit. She said there was no real need since I’m off Tamoxifen and that’s basically all she really did - check how it was affecting me via blood tests. Ditto with BS. I like his NP better than him so that’s fine with me.

I also have an internist now instead of a GP. She knows my oncologist and has all my records. Frankly I like her better than my oncologist who was pretty full of herself.

Diane