Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks Brookside.

Diane

• sherrym2018
    sherrym2018 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2019
    Options

I am praying for your dear sister. People do successfully fight stage 4. I'm rooting for her!

• GiddyupGirl
    GiddyupGirl Member Posts: 196
    edited July 2019
    Options

Edwards I am so sorry to hear about your sister - that sucks, to be crude. My sister was visiting yesterday and was telling me about one of her teaching associates who was stage 4 eight years ago and she is still working and going strong (travelling etc). Everything with this disease is a crap shoot so am really hoping your sister rolls lucky sevens. Take care.

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you ladies.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Update on my sister. Chemo is definitely taking it’s toll. Hair loss and now swollen feet. She has her 3rd treatment this week. A 3 day ordeal. Ugh.

I want to be with her but only when she wants me to be there. She lives in another state and is a very private person. My BIL is taking good care of her thankfully. She has a birthday and 40th anniversary coming up in September and October.

Storming the heavens with prayers.

Diane

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane, so sorry to hear about your sister, especially when you don’t live close to each other. I hope that her treatments will help her, and she won’t have severe side effects

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you Nancy. We spent yesterday at the West Cancer Clinic where I had my treatments. My sister was seeking a second opinion. The doctor there is one of the best. When we left 5 hours later we were encouraged. According to my BIL there is a glimmer of hope.

She has appointments with a gastroenterologist and a kidney doctor and she will have a few more tests run at West Clinic next Wednesday.

She and my BIL are staying at a Residence Inn through next week. They were staying at my brother’s house but she values her privacy. Completely understand that.

It was a shock seeing her so fragile but her spirits are really good.

So hanging on for dear life and praying God intervenes.

Diane

• jag51
    jag51 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2019
    Options

Haven't been on this site for a while, sorry! I was reading about how common it i stop have pain MONTHS after surgery. I felt fine during radiation, but just recently some sharp,stinging pains come and go in my breast. Does anyone else go through this? When does it stop? Does it have to do with rads or surgery or both?

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited August 2019
    Options

I am not sure Jag51- but I think it is from surgery and scar tissue. I also still have occasional pain like that.

• AC1965
    AC1965 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2019
    Options

I was told by my radiologist that my random stinging pains are from scar tissue that I keep tearing as I continue to increase my range of motion. It's normal and will decrease over time.

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited August 2019
    Options

It might also be as the nerves severed during surgery regrow. I've had them with all 7 of my major abdominal surgeries and I'm having them now in my poor left breast. It's more alarming in a way because yanno cancer, but to be expected. But yeah, it hurts.

• BlessUsAll
    BlessUsAll Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Options

My mastectomy was Nov 30 and radiation treatments ended March 1, 2019.   The entire month of June I had pain, not excruciating, in my entire underarm area, starting at shoulder blade and coming to middle of breast.   Pain increased during the day and was bad by night.   Then it stopped.   Talked to oncologist at last visit.  He said muscles were healing.   I think it may be nerves regenerating also.   Now it’s just occasional.   Annoying, but just part of my new normal.    

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,033
    edited August 2019
    Options

BlessUsAll, we welcome you warmly to our community, and appreciate you sharing your experiences with others. Indeed, annoying, and uncomfortable. We hope it keeps lessening over time.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane, I am so glad your sister came away encouraged. Sure hope they can help her. Hoping all is well with you, too.

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you Nancy. Unfortunately things have taken a turn for the worse for her. They can't remove the tumors because they are too large, too aggressive and are in her kidney and liver. Chemo didn't work. All they can do now is make her comfortable and prolong her life. It's heartbreaking as you can imagine. It’s a very rare cancer. 2% of the population have had it.

Praying for a miracle.

Diane

• meow13
    meow13 Member Posts: 1,363
    edited August 2019
    Options

I am really sorry Diane. Sending good vibes your way.

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thanks Meow.

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited August 2019
    Options

Edwards740/Diane, I'm so sorry about your sister. Sending you and your family thoughts of peace and strength.

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you Alice.

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

My sister passed away this past Monday. Her BP plummeted and the doctors could not raise it to a normal level even with meds. She was so jaundiced from her failing liver dialysis was the only option but they were concerned if they administered ither heart would stop with such low BP.

We knew they were just buying time but every day was a gift. She’s not in pain anymore but how do we handle that big hole in our family’s hearts.

Our hearts are broken. Please pray for her and our family.

Diane

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane,

I’m so sorry to hear about your sisters passing. She worked so hard to beat this cancer and this will be hard for you. She will be missed by you and your extended family. Hugs,

Mostlysew

• cassiecanada
    cassiecanada Member Posts: 101
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Diane- i am so sorry for your heartbreak-
    take comfort in knowing that your sister
    knew how much you and your family cared for her-she
    was able to have that feeling in her
    soul throughout her
    difficult days-and may you and your
    family find some peace in remembering
    this- in the tough days ahead

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,175
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane:

So sorry to read about your sister's passing. If you ask people who are terminally ill what they wish for after they pass, many say "to be remembered". They want their lives to have had meaning and value. So by remembering your sister you can slowly fill the hole. It will take time.

I shared a birthday with my Dad. I was his "princess" so his loss was painful but even moreso the first year I had a "solo" birthday. Each year the pain is less, but I miss him most on that day. But he is remembered and I am thankful that we had this bond that transcends time. He is still my hero and I know he watches over me.

They say that Cardinals are visitors sent by the dead and my uncle told his daughter to look for one shortly before he died. It would be him coming to visit. She now has a small Cardinal tattoo on her ankle as her bond. I now look for Cardinals and think of my uncle as well.

• edwards750
    edited August 2019
    Options

Thank you everyone. She’s in God’s hands and our hearts. I know she suffered so. We were blessed to be with her in her final days.

Diane

• 70charger
    70charger Member Posts: 591
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane i am so sorry for your loss, hugs

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2019
    Options

So sorry for your loss. I'm happy that although I never met her, i can mourn her loss in my small way.

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    edited August 2019
    Options

Diane: I'm sorry! Your sister won her angel wings too soon ...I pray that you and your family find comfort. HUGS

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited September 2019
    Options

Diane, I am so sorry.

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited September 2019
    Options

Oh, Alice, that was very nice. After my husband died I went to "Grief Share" for people who are grieving,

Diane you may want to look it up, I believe that it is held in churches all over. It was very helpful and one of our leaders was a psychology professor, I kind of felt like I was getting free counselling. Alice's post reminded me of a lady at the meeting lost her sister, but for so long we did not know why she was there exactly, but she told us she lost her sister and the leader got her to talk by asking her if she would like to tell us about her sister. That opened her up and she was so much better when the grief share was done. It was once a week for about 6 weeks. I found it really helpful.

I remember thinking when someone said to me 'I'm sorry you lost your husband' I thought, I did not lose him, I know where he is. But, I say it to people myself, it is a loss to us left behind.

• edwards750
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you ladies. It has been a very difficult time. Today was her funeral. My 2 brothers and I each offered anecdotes from our lives with her. We made sure we shared happy memories because that’s what is keeping us going now.

God has her in His hands, we have her in our hearts.

Diane