Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited September 2019
    Options

Diane,

I’m so sorry I just checked in tonight and saw your post. Please accept my sincerest condolences.

I hope your coping ok.We are hear if you need anything.

Josie

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thank you Josie. It has been very difficult and heartbreaking for the family and me especially. I miss her so.

Diane

• josie123
    edited September 2019
    Options

Diane,

Shes not too far and is still with you every day in spirit. I hope this helps. I truly beieve our loved ones that have passed on are still able to see how we are doing.

God bless you and your family as you are dealing with her loss.

Love Josie

• edwards750
    edited September 2019
    Options

Thanks again Josie. I know she is in God’s hands and our hearts. Losing her especially the way she died is really testing our faith. Sometimes I find myself about to text her since we texted each other just about every day. Her husband, Mike, is hanging on but barely. He is keeping in touch with one of my brothers though thankfully . I can’timagine how difficult it is for him being in their house since she is everywhere. I miss her so.They would have been married 40 years next month.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

imageimage

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

Twins 4th birthday party with an awesome water slide. It’s red because I took pics in the sun. Ugh. Boys had a blast and so did Nana. Hard to believe they are 4 years old!

Diane

• mistyeyes
    mistyeyes Member Posts: 570
    edited October 2019
    Options

Diane,

My husband died suddenly a year ago after 40 years of marriage. It is very hard to lose a spouse because that is the person who you talk and share things with. I hope your brother in law will be ok. I don't know his religious status, but there is a program called Grief Share at many churches. I went to one after my husband died and it helped me, there was people there that lost a niece, 2 were there for teen children that died, one for a sister, besides the few that lost a spouse. It was good to know you were not crazy ....of at least not crazy alone.

Your boys are cute.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello dear friends and awesome ladies,
    I am just catching up...in a way I'm glad there have not been too many posts so I could read them all.
    Diane, I am so shocked and full of sadness to hear about your sister. She did fight hard and suffered for a time. It was just overwhelming.
    The day I last posted, I learned about the passing of a dear sister on BCO. She was Stage 4 but we were so used to her thriving and tolerating the periodic treatments and hospitalizations. Suddenly she became overwhelmed with the progression of the disease and there was nothing that could be done. It sounds like your dear sister was overwhelmed with no resources left. I hate cancer and how it affects beautiful women and interrupts life.

When I watched the fireworks that July 4th, I was in a somber mood. But having just finished chemo, I wanted to keep the tradition DH and I had, going to the fireworks even if none of our children was around. I saw the stars bursting in the sky, and then falling and growing dim. I thought, how much like our lives is that? We rise up, shine brightly, then our lives grow dim and fade when it's time. But oh, the colors and the brightness of the shining stars...I see my BCO sisters as those bright stars. And we cry and grieve for each and every one whose life is ended.
    Please know, Diane, that I am thinking of you. Grief is hard...we never know when a moment will overwhelm us with a memory, a scent, a coincidence...and I hope that some of these moments will bring a smile to your face and you can say "life was good".

I had a 6 month post-chemo scan last week and an appointment with the surgeon. I continue to be in remission. The scan looks good. My bloodwork shows tumor markers are low. And the physical exam revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I have chemo side effects every day but they do not stop me from doing things. As I mentioned, I have a new second cancer - ovarian - after having survived breast cancer for 8 years.
    I am grateful to have had a great summer, seeing each of my children and grandchildren.
    Since my two week trip out west in June, I have also traveled to Massachusetts to my granddaughter's moving up to middle school. She gave the speech for her class and did a beautiful presentation. My DD invited me in August to join them in Nantucket for a beach vacation with the grandkids. I had a great time. I also drove up to western Massachusetts to visit two granddaughters at their summer camp. It was a special day - just me and the two girls - I brought them lunch and fun "stuff".

I took Amtrak to Washington DC to visit my Dd and two grandsons there. The older one was going to camp in North Carolina. I volunteered to drive with them (almost 10 hours) to drop him off. We had a great trip and I got to spend a lot time getting to know my 14 year old grandson. We stayed at the Biltmore Hotel and toured the gardens there.
    I returned to work August 15th and it is going well. I am very tired. But work is easy since I gave up the night overtime hours.
    This past week end Dh and I flew to Colorado to visit my son in Boulder; then we drove to the mountains for 3 days to enjoy the golden aspens.
    You can see I am very active and busy. The doctors make no promises. I try to make the most of each day. Most of my cares are focused close to home now...trying to enjoy each day.

Sending big hugs to all the "old" friends here...and welcoming hugs to the newer ladies. And yes, I had some post radiation sharp pains but for me it healed quickly. There are many side effects when nerves and muscles are cut. I recommend patience..but pain is not "normal" or "acceptable" so do keep in touch with your doctors and let them know.
    Best wishes for a great fall and all the changes and fun it can bring.
    Love & hugs,
    Joan811

• joan811
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hello dear friends and awesome ladies,
    I am just catching up...in a way I'm glad there have not been too many posts so I could read them all.
    Diane, I am so shocked and full of sadness to hear about your sister. She did fight hard and suffered for a time. It was just overwhelming.
    The day I last posted, I learned about the passing of a dear sister on BCO. She was Stage 4 but we were so used to her thriving and tolerating the periodic treatments and hospitalizations. Suddenly she became overwhelmed with the progression of the disease and there was nothing that could be done. It sounds like your dear sister was overwhelmed with no resources left. I hate cancer and how it affects beautiful women and interrupts life.

When I watched the fireworks that July 4th, I was in a somber mood. But having just finished chemo, I wanted to keep the tradition DH and I had, going to the fireworks even if none of our children was around. I saw the stars bursting in the sky, and then falling and growing dim. I thought, how much like our lives is that? We rise up, shine brightly, then our lives grow dim and fade when it's time. But oh, the colors and the brightness of the shining stars...I see my BCO sisters as those bright stars. And we cry and grieve for each and every one whose life is ended.
    Please know, Diane, that I am thinking of you. Grief is hard...we never know when a moment will overwhelm us with a memory, a scent, a coincidence...and I hope that some of these moments will bring a smile to your face and you can say "life was good".

I had a 6 month post-chemo scan last week and an appointment with the surgeon. I continue to be in remission. The scan looks good. My bloodwork shows tumor markers are low. And the physical exam revealed nothing out of the ordinary. I have chemo side effects every day but they do not stop me from doing things. As I mentioned, I have a new second cancer - ovarian - after having survived breast cancer for 8 years.
    I am grateful to have had a great summer, seeing each of my children and grandchildren.
    Since my two week trip out west in June, I have also traveled to Massachusetts to my granddaughter's moving up to middle school. She gave the speech for her class and did a beautiful presentation. My DD invited me in August to join them in Nantucket for a beach vacation with the grandkids. I had a great time. I also drove up to western Massachusetts to visit two granddaughters at their summer camp. It was a special day - just me and the two girls - I brought them lunch and fun "stuff".

I took Amtrak to Washington DC to visit my Dd and two grandsons there. The older one was going to camp in North Carolina. I volunteered to drive with them (almost 10 hours) to drop him off. We had a great trip and I got to spend a lot time getting to know my 14 year old grandson. We stayed at the Biltmore Hotel and toured the gardens there.
    I returned to work August 15th and it is going well. I am very tired. But work is easy since I gave up the night overtime hours.
    This past week end Dh and I flew to Colorado to visit my son in Boulder; then we drove to the mountains for 3 days to enjoy the golden aspens.
    You can see I am very active and busy. The doctors make no promises. I try to make the most of each day. Most of my cares are focused close to home now...trying to enjoy each day.

Sending big hugs to all the "old" friends here...and welcoming hugs to the newer ladies. And yes, I had some post radiation sharp pains but for me it healed quickly. There are many side effects when nerves and muscles are cut. I recommend patience..but pain is not "normal" or "acceptable" so do keep in touch with your doctors and let them know.
    Best wishes for a great fall and all the changes and fun it can bring.
    Love & hugs,
    Joan811

• josie123
    edited October 2019
    Options

Joan, so glad to hear from you. It warms my heart to know your doing so well and have had such a wonderful summer with your family. We are going to my nephews wedding in May in Connecticut and would love to me up with you and anyone else that would like to .

Love Josi

• josie123
    edited October 2019
    Options

Diane,

Looks like you had a great time with the grandkids in the sun. My Grandaughter Maisie was 3 yesterday. My DD wants to have a great big party at her house Sunday celebrating both Maisie and her sister Evee who will be 2 December 5.

I promise to post pics

Josi

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

mistyeyes- he is Catholic. In fact our entire family is. Thanks for the suggestion about grief counseling. I’ll be doing that myself as well. Also thanks for the comment about the twins. They are adorable and yes I am biased! I am sorry about your husband. I’m sure you miss him so. That’s a long time to be together. You must have lots of wonderful memories.

Joan - wow you are such a busy lady and traveler. What s great summer you have had. I hope your scans continue to be good.

Yes my sister suffered so. Seeing her reduced to her state at the end was heartbreaking to say the least. I am trying to focus on our memories and cherishing them. I think I’m still in shock. It happened so fast.

Thank you Josie. Looking forward to seeing your pics too. I would love to go to Connecticut. I’ve never been.

Have a good weekend ladies!

Diane

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2019
    Options

Good Morning Y'all

It's been a long time since I've been on the boards, please forgive me.

Overwhelmed, how fast life goes by and so many changes and so much still the same. You ladies are awesome!

Will go back and read forward, but nice to see Josie, Fran, Diane, Joan, Sew, April, Brookside, and others (((hugs)))

After my husband's passing, took some time to find me. Made changes kept dancing, playing, and enjoying life. Sold our homes and reconfigured life a bit. Married this past year and new adventures...my Argentine Tango partner. Summer goal was to help sister, ride bikes, and not suck at golf. Played well yesterday yippee

Sister and hubby renewing vows....I'm happy.

Going to readback...catch up! Promise not to stay away so long.

(((Hugs)))

Cind

imageimageimageimage

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited October 2019
    Options

Yikes, Cindy, you go girl! You're looking great and it sounds (and looks) like you've found a great life partner. I'm glad to hear you're still dancing, golfing, biking and just plain enjoying life. Way to go. So glad you checked in. I've been busy also, knitting, quilting, walking, etc. but had a bit of an emotional set back this spring when my Mom died. She wanted to live to 100 and she made it! May we all live so happily and so long! No particular medical issues for me, thank goodness and life just rolls along. Good to hear from you

MostlySew

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

Great pics Cindy! Congrats on your new life/husband! Dang you are so thin!

Sorry about your Mom Sew. 100- wow! I should live so long. Glad you guys checked in!

Diane

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

Boys school pictures! Growing up too fast!

Dian

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks!

Beautiful boys 😎Diane

Sorry for your loss Sew. Hope I can live well to 100!

😉Cindy.

• edwards750
    edited October 2019
    Options

Thanks Cindy.

Diane

• joan811
    edited October 2019
    Options

Hi all,
    Cindy, it's so good to see you checking in. I am so happy for your changes and new life. Did you settle in Texas? You've been through a lot as have other ladies here. It's good to hear happy news ... keep on dancing! Who are the boys in the photo?
    Keep in touch!
    Sew, still thinking of you even as the news reports are saying there is progress on the fire north of SFO. Be safe and know we are thinking of you.
    Did someone make the beautiful lace in the photo? I hope you are having sweet memories of your mom and her long long life. You are in my thoughts.
    Diane, I know you are hurting from the loss of your sister. I hope you can focus on the good things you've shared. It just doesn't seem fair that life is so hard at times. Sending prayers for you and her family. The boys are just adorable and getting so big.
    I had another blood test this week and my results were good...still in remission. I am planning to retire. I am tired and it's time. But very hard for me!
    More soon...
    Joan

• edwards750
    edited November 2019
    Options

Thanks Joan. Losing her is really testing my faith. Tomorrow our church is having a mass for those who have lost a loved one followed by lunch sponsored by the social ministry at church. There’s also a mass just for her on Sunday. My husband and I are going tomorrow and Sunday I’m just going. We have the twins on Sunday.

Congratulations on your decision to retire. You are right it is time!

Sew - I was thinking about you too with all the horrific fires in California. Be safe. My son has a friend who’s family had to evacuate. It’s so frightening.

Halloween was fun for the twins. They raked in the candy and loved running from house to house.

Posting pics.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited November 2019
    Options

imageimage

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2019
    Options

thanks Joan and Diane, yes we're fine. We did have to evacuate, but the fire was pretty far from us, so we weren't as worried as the people right next to it. It was very intense and the winds were howling, and ashes were coming down outside, and how those firefighters were able to contain that fire is beyond belief. Today there are still 5,000 firefighters working it but most of the county has been "repopulated" as they call it. We had about 2 hours of evacuation warning level before our power went out, and then the mandatory evacuation came in 8 hours later at 4 a.m. It turns out a friend in Berkeley was leaving that day for a trip, and we moved in (with 2 cats) to her place which worked out perfectly. I'm so thankful to have found a great place to stay as all hotels, motels, etc. were booked up to than 50 miles away. The worst part about it was deciding what to take and what to leave. I have lots of old family heirlooms with me, ex: a sampler worked by my great great....great grandmother in 1772. I got so stressed figuring out which items to leave (my grandfather's sterling tea set?). I need to make a list or something for next time so I don't have to grieve all over again about these things; just take what's on the list and get out. I love California, but these fires sure take years off your life with the stress. But we're home again, the cats are fine, the power and gas are turned back on, I'm in my own bed, and the fire is 67% controlled but doesn't seem to be threatening anyone else right now. Now Southern California, that's a different story.

Joan, yes I did all the stitching in that linen piece. This is card table sized, and originally belonged to my great grandmother. It was a solid white cotton with the lace edging.

Diane, those boys are so cute. And big. Thanks for posting their pictures.

MostlySew

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2019
    Options

It's so very nice to hear from you, Joan and Cindy, and Sew too (not ignoring you, Diane, but you haven't been away). I am so impressed, Joan, that you have limited your hours and may actually retire. Do not worry--you will find lots to keep you busy, maybe even busier than you are now.

Cindy, I've wondered and wondered what you were up to, and am so happy to read your good news. Hope you will stay in touch.

That lace-bordered quilt is amazing.

I'm waiting for two of my sons to arrive, the third will be here tomorrow with his two elementary school-aged boys. All five will be helping me winterize this drafty old farmhouse. Apparently, i cannot truly install year-round insulation as it would violate code. Yep. The brook running through the basement requires air flow upstairs. I'll be talking with some expensive people about digging a drainage system outside the house and also putting in a well. Yep. The well is in the basement now. My mother's bright idea about 70 years ago. Old houses! Previous generations!

• josie123
    edited November 2019
    Options

Cindy, so happy to hear from you!! Sounds like your doing well and looking good. Married to your dancing partner!! Congrats.

Diane, I am the youngest of six and although we don’t always see each other except holidays or big birthdays I feel fortunate to have all 5 siblings alive and doing well. I won’t pretend to know how devastating it would be to lose a sister but I know losing any love one is always a trial and takes a long time to heal from. It may change your life forever but hopefully you can somehow find faith to get you through it. ((Hugs)) BTW your grandsons are getting too big and cute.

Sew, In so sorry you’ve been displaced from the wildfire. I’m glad your safe.

Brookside, ....a brook through your basement??

I’m glad their helping you winterize. But against code?? That’s crazy!!

Joan, Good for you that your currently in remission!! I’m glad your retiring. They will miss a good teacher like you but life’s too short. I’ve had you on my mind lately. So glad you checked in with us.

We have good news also. We finally found a house to rent and it’s within a few block from MY mothers house. I will get to see way more of her than I do now. We will move in in about a week or two!! My hubby suprised me with a Ford Edge it’s 5 yrs old and we probably can’t afford the taxes but he didn’t think that through well .I was more than upset but now we r pretty much stuck with itSad

We never even discussed it. Moving on.....This past month has been more than hard on us as a family. My youngest DD was beat up by her boyfriend and we have a restraining order against him. We tried our best to keep her away from him.

My current coworker/ breastcancer survivor announced last week that she now has colon cancer and some lesions on her liver. Not sure if it was her breastcancer metastasis or what.She has a very aggressive cancer and they gave her very high chances of it coming back. She just recently had her port taken out. We have wrapped her in love and support. I gave her a prayer shawl my church makes for cancer patients. I know how comforting that was too me when I went through my treatment. She’s praying the lesions aren’t breast cancer because she would have to have more chemo and would lose her hair again. Please keep her in your prayer.

Josie

• josie123
    edited November 2019
    Options

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2019
    Options

Josie, your granddaughters are such adorable little beauties!

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter. I hope she understands that guy is not a keeper, and that she'll find someone wonderful, but not too soon. It takes time to heal from one relationship before rebuilding the emotional oomph to really relate to someone else.

The new house sounds lovely. I hope living with your inlaws has allowed you to save a nice little bundle. I'm sure they will miss you, and you will miss them, but isn't it wonderful that you will be near your mom!

• josie123
    edited November 2019
    Options

Brookside, thanks

My mIL will miss us. She has become too dependent on us but it has been very stressful living with her. My DD has already jumped into anouther relationship headfirst but has known the guy for a while. Yes we tried to talk her out of it but she thinks she knows it all. I’m at work so Ill post more later

Josi

• edwards750
    edited November 2019
    Options

So nice you guys dropped by. Congrats on a new house Josie. Your granddaughters are adorable. Thank you my grandsons are precious too. Sorry about your daughter. Been there, done that. Doesn’t get any better with a low life like that. Can you press charges? Yes our kids think they know everything. We had to learn the hard way that we don’t.

I hope your co-worker’s cancer can be treated successfully. My sister’s was aggressive too. Thank you for the sympathy. I’m still in the state of shock.

Good to hear from you too Brookside. I’m glad we are all staying connected.

My son just texted me the twins have hand, foot and mouth disease. Ugh. Poor babies. Another child at their school was just DX. I never heard of it but I read about the symptoms and treatment. They are just getting over a 24 hour virus.

Diane

• josie123
    edited November 2019
    Options

Diane, thank you. And yes they have 4 counts of assault against her ex boyfriend. The trial is December 3. We are trying to get her to go to counseling but she isn’t having it . I hope she can realize she needs it