Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Options

Comments

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    edited May 2019
    Options

Thank you. Sorry you didn’t the first onebut glad you got another one. I click on the icon above that looks like 2 black marks(3rd from right) and it takes you to wherever you want to retrieve your photo like the photo library. Find the photo you want click on it and then add photo.

• 53nancy
    53nancy Member Posts: 295
    edited May 2019
    Options

Introducing Frankieimage

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Diane, thank you for your help. I think this sweet little girl is going to make a difference in our lives

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2019
    Options

Nancy, your kitty is gorgeous. Jealous.... I miss my kitties.

Diane yes we keep our granddaughters every Monda,Thursday,Friday and Saturday night while our DD works as a waitress. We love them dearly but yes they are exhausting.

BTW Booser is really cute

• edwards750
    edited May 2019
    Options

What a cute kitty Nancy. Pets are such a blessing. They love you no matter what.

Thanks Josie. He is a sweetie. Wow that’s s lot of babysitting too. Just wondering where’s the dad of these girls? Our DS gets very little help from the twins mother because for now she can only have supervised visits. Long story but the bottom line is she is not responsible enough to take care of them by herself so that leaves our son and my best GFF to help out. Thank God for her. She’s the best and loves my son and the children and vice versa.

The thing is it isn’t the children’s fault so we try to make their lives as “normal” and loving as possible. Just as you and your husband do. The twins can do a lot for themselves now which helps. Talking up a storm too. DS has done a phenomenal job getting them potty trained. No easy task with 2. Anxious to see how they do at pre-school next week.

Have a fun Memorial Day!

Diane

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Diane, in just one week I feel better physically and emotionally than I have in two years. We are off to the city; will be back on again

• edwards750
    edited May 2019
    Options

Good news Nancy. Enjoy!

Diane

• 53nancy
    edited May 2019
    Options

Diane, more good news arrived today. A doctor at a hospital 30 miles away who sees only cancer patients on Tuesdays and Thursdays has agreed to do my follow up, and now my mind is more at ease about no longer being followed by Cancer Care. I’ll get more info next week. So all is good

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

That’s great Nancy!

• Naesha
    Naesha Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2019
    Options

hello ladies,

how are you all recovering from Radiation? For me its been nearly 2.5 months and still i do not feel i am normal. I am again back to very low dose of steroids for my shortness of breath. I am just waiting for my body to feel normal.

Does anyone of you know how long it might take for our body to get back to normal?

Recently i had PETSCAN and there was small light in my liver. After doing further CT scan , my ONC is still not able to decide if its malignant or benign. The size is too small to do biopsy so waiting for more follow ups.

I hope none of you ladies are going through the same and hope radiation is your last treatment.

Take care

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Naesha - sorry you are still dealing with the after effects of radiation but it does take time to totally recover. In my case I was blessed. Very little burning and fatigue halfway through the treatments. It’s been awhile since I had treatments because I will be 8 years out this August God willing.

I hope the spot on your liver is benign. You sure don’t need something else to worry about.

Give yourself time to heal. Some people just take longer to feel normal again but you will in time.

Keep us posted.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited June 2019
    Options

It is so individual. In my case, my body healed quickly, but I was so traumatized by the whole process that I wound up with PTSD (not an unusual dx following treatment, by the way), which manifested as exhaustion and took a number of months to go away. At the time, the recovery seemed endless, but eventually my "self" caught up with my body and all was, and remains, well. You'll probably recall that your RO asked you to be in touch with any post-treatment questions. Do please follow up with her.

• jag51
    jag51 Member Posts: 10
    edited June 2019
    Options

Just finished rads today!! Breast is red an tender, sometimes painful, sometimes not. I don't have an electric razor, so I was ecstatic to shave afterwards LOL. Next stop: hormonal treatment, probably Tamoxifen.

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Awesome jag. Give yourself time to heal though.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Yea had my annual mammogram yesterday and it’s all good! What a relief! 8 years out and counting.

Has anyone had the 3D mammogram? They asked me if I wanted it and assured me insurance would pay but I decided to ask my BS next week at my follow up appointment.

We are busy babysitting and helping my son find a rental by the end of next month when his lease is up. He wants to live in a safer area and closer to us. There isn’t a lot of inventory where he wants to live and we have already lost out on 2 houses because people beat us to them. We have zeroed I’m on one house that will be ready by the middle of next month. Rentals are high too. Where I live in Collierville they are ridiculous. $1850 a month to rent a house less than 2000 sq. ft. He can’t afford to buy now and we are already financing the boys school so we can’t help with a house too

Hope everyone is doing okay. Another scorcher here today. Ugh.

Diane

• edj3
    edj3 Member Posts: 1,579
    edited June 2019
    Options

edwards750 I had one at the end of March, first one for me. It cost me $30, but it's also what flagged the cancer. I've got dense breasts so the mammogram folks have recommended it for years but this was the first year the FDA changed their recommendations and said women with dense breasts should get that instead of the 2D.

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Okay thanks. I don’t have dense breasts so probably don’t need it.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited June 2019
    Options

Congrats on the wonderful mammo, Diane. I'm a bit surprised that this is the first time you've been offered a choice in technique. I've been having the 3-D version for several years now. They offered a choice for a year or two, starting in 2014 or 2015, then were so happy with the results that their default option is 3-D. I imagine it is possible to ask for the regular version, but you would have to ask.

I hope your son finds a good rental quickly. It does seem like a lot of money, but at least with a rental he does not have to worry about all those maintenance and repair issues.

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Thanks Brookside. It was the first time they offered it. My sister however, has been offered that for years.

It would be better to rent for that reason but he wants to see if he qualifies for a house. We’ll see what happens with the mortgage broker this week.

Diane

• edwards750
    edited June 2019
    Options

Okay BC sisters I need some prayers from you guys and divine intervention wouldn’t hurt. My sister's BC is now metastatic. She was a year behind me. My DX was in 2011.Her recurrence happened 4 years after her DX but now it has moved to her bones. She has had horrific back pain for weeks and nothing helped. Now she knows why. Needless to say we are devastated as is she. The treatment will be 4 rounds of chemo. Idk what else. She just shared that she has metastatic cancer a few days ago. She lives in another state and is a very close to the vest person.

Thanks.

Diane

• mom2bunky
    mom2bunky Member Posts: 54
    edited July 2019
    Options

That's great Diane! edj3, that's interesting that FDA only just got around to approving 3D over 2D for dense breasts. I've been getting 3D mammograms since they were available. Gyno insisted, it seems like it's been almost 10 years now. I had to pay extra at first, but and I've not had to pay extra for one for at least five years. Dense breasts here as well. I will continue to have 3D mammos.

Edwards, so sorry for your sister's news. Ugh. Sending healing thoughts...

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you.

Diane

• Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Member Posts: 551
    edited July 2019
    Options

edwards750: I'm sorry! I'm shocked. I've been reading your posts, and you have mentioned your sister before. Praying for her and for you. HUGS

• alicebastable
    alicebastable Member Posts: 1,944
    edited July 2019
    Options

Diane, I am so sorry to hear that. Sending healing thoughts to your sister and a hug to you. Are they planning to zap the Mets with radiation? I've seen that used to relieve the pain and also shrink them.

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks to both of you. I found out today the metastasis is in her stomach which is very rare. Apparently when it does happen it is with women who have lobular cancer which she has

She’s had 2 chemo treatments so far. July 9 she’ll find out if the chemo is working. My BIL is a wreck as you would expect but she is calm for now. I sent her flowers and my 2 brothers and I are going to have food sent to them from their favorite restaurants. Dillard’s is her fav store so one of my brothers is sending her a gift card. She said she will go out and spend it.

We are truly heartbroken and storming the heavens with prayers.

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2019
    Options

Oh my! So very sorry to hear this. I sure hope the chemo seriously clobbers that tumor. It sounds as though she's planning to enjoy the heck out of that gift card--good for her!

Sending prayers and thoughts for her fwhole amily and yours too.

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thanks Brookside.

Diane

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited July 2019
    Options

Hi to my friends here,
    Thinking of everyone here and hoping you are having a happy 4th of July.
    I am doing well this summer, as predicted. I have another scan and check in September so I will see what is happening. meanwhile, I am enjoying my summer.

Diane, I am so sorry to hear about your sister. It is very difficult to accept the metastatic diagnosis.
    I do hope that the treatment works to keep her pain-free and give her some normalcy in her life.
    Some women live a long time with maintenance chemo. I will add her to my prayer list and you too. It must hurt...

I went back to work from May 1st to June 14th. It was good. Of course things came up that caused me stress, like they want to move my office. I think I will only be there for about 5 more months so I wish they could just leave things as they are. I have a lot to think about. I don't need stress.
    We had a 2 week vacation and got back last night. We went to Colorado, Utah and Montana. We visited my son in CO, had a vacation week in UT, and then visited old friends in MT.

I guess we will go watch fireworks tonight, even though I'm tired and not feeling very happy. Too many dear BC sisters are struggling right now. But I have to keep doing normal things, I guess.
    Wishing everyone a good holiday week and be happy!
    Love to all,

Joan811

• edwards750
    edited July 2019
    Options

Thank you Joan. It’s really hard especially since she lives in another state. I just want to be with her and hold her hand. She’s such a strong person I know she’ll keep her head up even though I know she’s suffering.

What a fun vacation for you! I’ve never been to those states but I heard they are beautiful. We put our vacation plans on hold months ago so we could help our son with school tuition for the twins. He’s got so much on his plate. He has custody of them now so we babysit as much as we can. They go 3 days a week to a really good pre-school. It’s only 15 minutes from my house. It’s oricey but worth it. They are learning a lot.I meet my son there on their school days so I can tote one of them inside. He’s such a good Dad. A lot to deal with for someone so young but he’s taken on the challenge.

Good thing I’m retired. All the court issues between him and their mother should get resolved soon. I also have a best friend who has kind of adopted them and my son. She is a godsend.

My son and my sister are close. She has been so devoted to him and the boys. He knows she is ill but I don’t share anything else except she’s on chemo. He’s smart so he knows it’s serious. All the dire predictions are just that - predictions.

We have a nice day yesterday with him and the boys. They love to swim in their pool and on the slip and slide. I can’t believe they’ll be 4 in September.

Have a nice weekend!

Diane

• brooksidevt
    edited July 2019
    Options

So nice to hear from you, Joan, and to hear that you are doing so well. I'm glad you "sampled" teaching the shortened session before diving back in full steam. It sounds as though that was exactly the right choice. Do let me know when you might be in Connecticut--perhaps we can meet up once again.

Diane, it sounds as though things are working well for your son and grands. They are all lucky to have you. I can just see you scooting over to the school just to tote a tot inside. Too bad your sister is not closer, but sometimes what's important is knowing that you care, even if you can't be nearby.