Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012
    Janis, I'm with you....flying overnite...you'll hardly notice when I land in your pocket....but especially in the long morning hours.  I agree, it is a tough time, and waiting is always the hardest.  Do you have an iPod or music to play?  I always use that for a distraction - i had music during rads and i still use the same to try to calm myself and be distracted.
    So interesting to hear you have new jewelry!  Who thinks of this stuff? 
    I really just want to give you the biggest hug ever and to send positive thoughts and prayers your way.  (((((janis)))))
    And you may never know exactly what went on in your pocket!
  • joan811
    edited August 2012
    Joan1112, welcome from Joan 811.  Is that a special date?  Mine is Aug. 2011 when I had surgery.
    Hi Betsyamend.
    I worked through rads.  Sometimes I think part of the fatigue is the commute to the rads center every day.  I had a 45 minute ride from home, 20 minutes from work.  I went early AM before work, and some days right after.  When I finished, my school was on intersession.  I took off a lot of days to just relax, sleep in, read.  Then, when classes started again, I was right back to work. 
    Only a few problems for me:  Itchy red rash - used a steroid cream which helped a lot; and swelling on BC side.  When rads were finished, swelling went down quickly, and skin cleared within 2 weeks.
    I am claustrophobic and don't like to lie still...I wore my iPod every day and chose upbeat music that would not be depressing...I only used one earpod so I could hear instructions.  It really helped. I also used Rescue remedy herbal drops and Listerine strips to keep mouth from being dry.  I was fortunate to be lying face down so I was mostly comfortable.
    I did not do chemo, but was on Arimidex and I had shoulder pain that worsened temporarily due to holding position. It's fine now.
    Radiation therapy is very fast and without major side effects for most.
    I hope this helps a little. Try to find a current thread and check in here often.
    The ladies here are post-rads and are now dealing with aftermath of BC, rads, and life's adventures and challenges.
    Best wishes to all,
    Joan
  • Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited August 2012

Betsy, I did 8 chemo TXs and then rads. The rads were tiring, although part of the fatigue was after-effects of the chemo. The last week of rads was unpleasant. I was tired, I was cranky from having to go to the hospital every day, my skin itched, I had a couple of burn blisters and so on. Each thing by itself was no biggie, but all together I was just so over cancer treatment at that point. 

The good thing was that once it was over, it did not take all that long to spring back. I got some of those large gel bandages for the blisters and they improved greatly in a few days.  

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited August 2012

Betsy...I did chemo and rads...as someone said here...after chemo, rads were a walk in the park.

I religiously used GLAXOL Base...you can get it at CostCo or any pharmacy. Use it right after the treatment and 3 times a day...not before the treatment tho. Use it for a few weeks after you are done as well. I was one of the lucky ones, I had NO SEs at all. I didn't even get pink. It got a little itchy by the end but was no big deal. I was a little tired for a few weeks (even after) but other than the nuisance of having to go each day, it was fine and no reason you can't work.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited August 2012

Hi Betsy: I am a teacher and I continued to teach throughout my rad treatment. I scheduled mine after school then, if I felt tired, I could relax in the evening. I didn't like being in the room alone (no choice, of course) so the girls would talk to me from outside

And that made a big difference.

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2012

Really rads was just an unholy nuisance.  It was a pain running over there everyday (and I work 10 minutes away from my treatment center, really feel sorry for people with a long commute) get undressed, get zapped, grease up, get dressed.

I was tired.  But then I was tired when I was DX, tired after surgery, Rads just made it more so.  I was red and started swelling on day one, and by the end it was like the worst sunburn ever (and I've had some doosies) but none of it was anything horrific.  I just wanted to sleep, and for once in my life I gave myself permission to crawl into bed as early as I wanted too.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Good news, everyone! Janis is home from her surgery. She said the hospital experience was good. Of course, she is tired now so she is resting safe and sound in her own bed.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2012

Thank you for posting Elizabeth! Best to Janis for a speedy recovery!

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2012

Elizabeth....that's great news about Janis. Let her know we're thinking of her and will keep a few people in her pocket for the next day or so ....just so she can get well soon.....

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited August 2012
    Elizabeth,,,,great news! Our best to her Laughing
  • joan811
    edited August 2012

Thanks for the update, Elizabeth. 
    Hi Janis, we are all thinking of you and looking forward to having you back here.
    Hugs & prayers,

Joan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Good morning my friends!  Thanks for all the well wishes, and a special thanks to Elizabeth for updating everyone.  I am feeling really good.  This hospital stay was a breath of fresh air compared to my last surgery.  Different hospital and everyone was so nice.  I was up all night but I never had to use the call button except once.  I was up and walking pretty quickly after surgery.  I got out of recovery about 4:30 and took my first short walk at 6:30.  I did have one bad IV attempt.  When I went in to prep I had a nice male nurse, Zach.  He had a paramedic trainee with him and he asked if I minded if Chuck (the trainee) started my IV.  I said that was fine.  He tried to get a vein in the back of my hand and it failed.  Zach said they had new IV catheters and and he was still getting used to them.  So, after the failed attempt Zach moved up a few inches to the back of my arm.  He explained that I needed two IV's for this surgery.  I believe the second was for blood if necessary. Anyway Zach put a fairly tight tourniquet higher on my arm, and then got up to retrieve something he had forgotten.  Guess what?  The vein in my hand was still open, they had not covered it....and boy did I have a gusher!  He felt really bad of course.  There was blood all over the bed, my hand, and a good size puddle on the floor!  Duh!  They quockly wrapped the hand tightly and he did get two IV's started in my forearm. My hand has a huge bruise!

On a totally different note, the staff was wonderful and I loved my nurses.  They laughed at me walking the halls yesterday pretty briskly.  A couple of hours before I left, Jana, the charge nurse, brought in a vase with a gorgeous salmon colored rose and Baby's Breath and ribbons.  Also a sweet card.  She said they don't normally do this, but they all thought I was the best patient and they thought I deserved the flowers.  Wow!  How sweet was that?  My sister is an RN in Colorado and I told her and she said she has never heard of that.  She was really impressed they did that for me.  I was so touched.

I didn't take many pain meds yesterday but this morning I had to.  I slept all night without the collar....that is the only time it is allowed off, and of course for showering.  I woke up at 4:00 and had some pretty good pain.  Much of it is in my throat area and some where they fused.  Anyway I laid in bed for some time but finally got up and took the meds about half an hour ago.  I am starting to feel better.  I have my 'necklace' on too.  I have to wear it four hours a day.  Yesterday I wore it four consecutive hours but today I am going to try to break it up.  My face turned beet red and was so hot to the touch.  I fianlly had to ice my face.  I asked my sister and she said that could be from the stimulator so thinking breaking it up today may help.  It self times so I am allowed to start and stop anytime.  However the first time you wear it for the day, it has to be worn for one steady hour.  Then I can remove it and restart at any time.

My son Adam lives in the Denver area and is a lifelong Broncos fan.  He loves that we now have Peyton Manning as our quarterback.  Yesterday he informed me that I had the exact same procedure as Peyton.  For some reason this seemed to impress him.  He told me Peyton was paid 93 million dollars for his contract and suggested that I can play football now.  Since I couldn't play before, thinking not a good plan!  I miss my bike though, but my surgeon said NO.  Okay, I am allowed to walk and did walk around outside with the dogs yesterday.  I am limited of course to what i can do, but walking is fine.  It felt great to get outside yesterday and will go out today for sure.

Love and hugs to everyone!! 

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited August 2012

Yay! Janis it must feel so good to have the surgery part behind you. And hooray for a great hospital stay, love those nurses. So Peyton had the same surgery and he can play football again? You'll be back on that bike in no time! Best wishes for a steady recovery!

Nancy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2012

Janis I am glad that you are feeling better>

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Hey Janis,

I didn't expect to hear from you for at least another day or so. You are such a trooper. I'm glad the hospital stay went so smoothly and that's just the sweetest thing for the nurses to do for you. Amazing. But then, I always knew you were nice. So....I caution you to not overdo it....this surgery needs time to heal and you're just going to have to let it. But hurrah that you're doing so well...and strolling outside too.....

• joan811
    edited September 2012

(((((Janis)))))
    I guess when you have had bad experiences, a good experience looks stellar!  You sound great and like you have things in control.  No more surprises!
    I am glad the nurses honored you.
    Rest and feel better.
    Joan811

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Thanks my friends.  I am feeling really good.  It is difficult not to do anything.  I am on strict orders to take it easy until I see my surgeon on the 11th.  I keep trying to clean and my DH is not amused.  He won't let me do anything really.  I can use the computer which helps keep me from going completely nuts.

Sew...thanks so much for the sweet card!  I am feeling fine and had a few naughty snacks too!  How could those innocent looking cookies possibly have calories, especially post-op?

Seriously I feel really good and the pain is not bad at all.  The collar is not too uncmfortable and since i don't wear it in bed, sleeping is much easier.

My stepson arrived at 2:00 AM from Seatlle.  He came to spend the long weekend with us.  That was sure sweet.  I hope he plans on cooking LOL!

Kate, I know your surgery is right around the corner.  Pocket party for you of course.  I am bringing wine in your honor.  Keep us posted when you can.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Janis I am glad that you are doing well. Thank you for starting a pocket party for my surgery Sept. 12. Wine is perfect. I wish I could have some to settle my nerves the morning of the surgery, but of course it is a no-no. My surgery is at 8am and I have to be at the hospital at 6 am, so I won't have too long to wait. Have a great labor day weekend everyone!

• helend56
    helend56 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2012

Hi ladies! I just was wondering after finishing rads that when you got in the heat or sun did you have stinging sensation of skin? I have been finished with rads for almost 3 weeks.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited September 2012
    I was super sensitive to both heat and sun for about a month. I still can't be out in high heat for too long and it's been a couple of months now, although it's getting better. Cool
  • joan811
    edited September 2012

Janis, I hope your DH keeps you in your place!!!  Plenty of time to "do stuff"....so glad you feel okay.  Take little steps....soon you'll be on the bike again :-)

Kate, I am coming to your party....
    My DS has a date for moving....around 9/21.  We are planning a family party for the last week end (I was supposed to be in CO but I canceled)...and we will try to get Yankees tickets for another day. 
    I announced last week that it was a year since my surgery 8/30....and I vowed to put that chapter behind me and start looking ahead... then last night I felt soreness under my surgery breast and upon checking it out, noted that i had cording from the base of my breast all the way down to just above my waist.  I was shocked and not pleased....I looked it up of course- it is a swollen or inflamed vein.  ...it is not  that common   but it is supposed to resolve itself over time....it worries me and I am  bummed.  I was back in underwires for work....guess that will have to go.  Guess the BC will just keep on giving...

Hope everyone is well and happy Labor Day week end!  I love these extra days....
    Joan

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Joan, that is a complete bummer! I do think it's the underwires that did it, but Yuck....not Fair! I'm going to learn from your lesson though and continue going braless.....which is not a particularly pretty sight with these DD breasts...LOL...but more comfortable than getting cording. Hopefully this flare up will cease quickly for you..

Janis, so...did you mind your p's and q's today? If I don't scold you, Joan will you know :)

Helend56, yep...I was totally sensitive to the sun. I used to have to carry extra clothing just to drape over my rads breast when in the car. Now, at 10 months post rads I don't have the problem anymore, but I can't recall when it stopped. Maybe 4 months post rads?

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Joan so sorry that happened to you. It will resolve itself, but yes it is a bummer. Thank you for wanting to join my pocket party. It is a little early yet, because my surgery is not till a week from Wednesday. It is not life threatening surgery, so I will be ok. The bummer is that this will be my most painful breast surgery. According to my surgeon I will be feeling bad enough for morphine when I wake up in recovery. Also, I hate being tied up to stuff, and I will have to have an IV and a catheter that first night, and 3 drains. UGH! Also I will have to stay in the hospital 4 nights, and possibly longer. I am a trooper and once they take the catheter and IV off I will be great. I am praying this will be my final surgery, but I may need one more. Have a great labor day weekend everyone and thanks for your support.

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Joan......arghhh on the cording!  I know when I developed LE I was told never, ever to wear an underwire bra again.  The cording will subside of course, but these 'hiccups' we encounter along the way can make us crazy.  You will celebrate the one year milestone, we are cheering you on!  I know the party for your son will be a bittersweet event.  Holidays will take on new meaning Joan when he is able to come home.  New reasons to celebrate!

Kate I know the upcoming surgery is stressful.  You seem to bounce back quickly though and hopefully this surgery will go smoothly.  Take the pain meds, there is no reason to suffer.  You'll be back on your feet before you know it.

Sew......Sweet Sew.......I have been GOOD.  I have been really good.  I have been so good it is boring!  I have been up and walking much of the time and taking the fur kids out to walk the front of our big corner lot.  Will do more today.  I want to bake something....clean something.  Clean?  Did I just say that?  I have gone mental for sure!  :)

• MostlySew
    edited September 2012

Janis,

Ah, the life of the bored, pampered housewife!  Enjoy it while you can, sweetie, because this too shall change.  Read any good books lately?  Teeheehee... 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited September 2012

Good to hear you bored and eager to get back to it Janis.

Joan, so sorry to hear about cording.  I would encourage you to toss all those underwires.  I have been experimenting with no wire bras for a bit now.  There are some very pretty, supportive and reasonable alternatives out there now.  

Have to paint DDs nails.  Ciao.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited September 2012

Janis, I am glad you feel like doing things, but please take it easy for a while. The work will still be there when you feel up to it. Just keep on feeling better because you really deserve to feel good.

Joan, I am so sorry to hear about the cording. I know you want to put the BC chapter of your life behind you, but it always seems to be a three steps forward, two steps backward sort of experience. Please see your MO or BS if the cording does not clear up quickly. Also, I am sorry that your son is moving away soon. We keep our childrren in our hearts wherever they go, but still it is better to be able to reach out and touch them.

Kate, Good luck with your surgery. I hope this one will be your last. 

• justmejanis
    edited September 2012

Sab, could you come over and paint my nails as well?  I really think we should have a silly slumber party.  You know, do each other's hair and nails and such.  Scary stories and movies, a few crank phone calls...and FOOD!  Plenty of it too.  Some nice fruity drinks.  Bacardi in mine please!  I haven't had my favorite rum in forever.  Oh ladies we could have so much fun!  Sab is bringing her special cake..........I am speaking for her of course!  I'll make cheesecake and Key Lime pie.  Or whatever anyone wants.  I'll put everything through the calorie extractor so we can indulge with absolutely no guilt whatsoever.

Elizabeth, thanks for the reminder to take it easy.  So hard to do, but you and Sew and Joan are pretty good at reminding me.  Thanks for caring....I am SO excited about seeing you NEXT month!!  We'll just have a little mini slumber party.  The others can join via pocket!

I have been on my feet all day (they aren't broken) and my neck is feeling a little sore.  I am going to sit for awhile and behave.  There are so many things that need to be done (but I am not looking!)  I am not......no.......

I don't know if I mentioned or not that Chuck's oldest son Russ is here visiting from Seattle.  He drove and got here very late Friday night.  Russ is 38, he is a computer programmer, divorced, super intelligent and a really nice guy.  I always enjoy his visits.  He has taken us out to breakfast the past two mornings which is such a treat.  He took off for Boise this afternoon to go to the mall and we stayed in.  While he was gone we ran to the grocery store and I got the things I need to make biscuits and gravy tomorrow morning.  With homemade hash browns.  I think he will appreciate the homemade meal and Chuck will make the hash browns.  I think he is staying until Wednesday.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited September 2012

Thank you Elizabeth

• joan811
    edited September 2012

Hi all,
    Thanks for the empathy ... I think I found cording in 2 places and one jumbled up tender spot ... it is so bizarre.  Glad I did not throw out my camis yet. 
    Janis, sounds like a great slumber party - ya think we'd sleep?  So glad to hear you are taking walks and getting out.  I am wondering if you have to be careful about certain movements.  We're watching you, so keep taking it easy :-P

Kate, I know it sounds like an unpleasant surgery/recovery...let's hope it is the last.

It has been a strange week end and I am struggling with drug SEs. It i really bad and I am intolerant of nearly every little annoying thing or person.  I have been waiting all week end for a few minutes with my granddaughters who are all leaving to go back to NJ tomorrow... It is supposed to be my day to visit tomorrow - all going to beach early -- but not sure they will follow through.  I will have to practice what I tell others -- just lower my expectations.  It was DH's birthday and I planned to have cake with the kids but can't pin them down to a place or time.  I am almost looking forward to going back to work so I do not have to be on the verge of tears all the time.  Darn Femara is doing me in.
    Have a good night, everyone!
    Joan