Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan, yep....weekends are pretty slow. Hopefully your sojourn outside today and visit with your son mitigated the difficult part of the day. I've been standing all day making little scissor fobs (beads that hang off scissors) with 10 members of my rug hooking group and am exhausted. Fortunately my husband is cooking tonight.....sweet guy that he is.....

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2012

Hi Joan and Sew.  Sounds like nice weekends.  I hiked yesterday and walked alot this weekend, about 14 miles.  Spent most of the time discussing stressful financial stuff with DH though, so it wasn't relaxing. He also cooked tonight...lovely grilled vegetables over brown rice couscous, and grilled peaches for dessert, very yummy. 

Took my DD the elder out for lunch at her school last week and she brought her boyfriend along for the first time.  Now he is coming here to our home this week.  They have been dating for about a year. I am definitely having mixed feelings about this sudden turn to the serious.  (She's only 19, will be 20 in October.)

Chicago, and a start up, very, very exciting opportunity.  And a great place to visit! (I have already informed my girls that if they don't live next door to me they are only allowed to live places that I want to visit.)  The boy my DD is dating is moving to Iceland for a fellowship.  Chicago sounds nice and close to me!

Janis, thinking about you this week and sending positive, healing thoughts your way (I'm getting a head start.) 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

I know it is off topic, but could everyone please say a prayer for the people in the path of Isaac. For all of the BCO folks in the path of the storm, my thoughts are with you. Stay safe!

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Elizabeth consider it done!  That poor place has had enough trauma to last a lifetime. 

Can I request a group hug?  When it rains it pours.  I will give you the short story.  Saturday I took a bad fall.  I had a huge goose egg on the front of my shin, but my left wrist hurt enough that I decided I better go to the ER.  There is a brand new St. Luke's ER facility that just opened this month so we went there.  Nothing broken thank goodness.  I declined pain shots so we were in and out pretty quickly thank goodness.  I know if you receive pain meds they have to observe you for awhile.  So it was probably less than an hour from start to finish.  They bring a portable x-ray machine right into your room so very quick.  They said it was a bad sprain and gave me a splint.  Ice for both the lump on my shin and the wrist.  That was fine, felt better getting it checked.

Then I woke up yesterday morning feeling fine until I started getting those terrible shooting pains in my right chest.  At times it was difficult to take a deep breath.  I was fairly sure it was the return of the Costochondritis that began last year with rads.  I had two attacks during rads.  The only treatment is pain meds, rest.  Ibuprofen helps a lot, but I cannot take it this close to surgery.  I have pain meds for my neck so took those and had a quiet non-productive day, which always bothers me.  I took a couple of naps and spent most of the day lying down.  :(

Today when I woke up the lung/chest pain was still present but not near as bad as yesterday thank goodness.  I was cleaning for awhile and it tried to kick in worse so I just took a pain pill and it helped.  Going about my cleaning, lots of little things to do.  That nesting before surgery thing.  Then my surgeon's office called.  My labs came back and I have a urinary tract infection!  Thank goodness it will not delay my surgery Wednesday, but I have to go pick up the antibiotics and get them started right away.  Really, I mean, what next?  So sick of this you know?  I have an appointment with my MO this afternoon, then I have to go to the hospital for another blood draw.  Then off to the store to get that prescription which is totally in the opposite direction.  :(.  Sorry for the rant and the whining.  I love you all and know you will understand.  Collecting all the hugs I can...I am so bummed! 

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited August 2012

Justmejanis ....hugs from me.....the old adage....it never rains but it pours, comes to mind. BUT ......the sun will come out tomorrow, also comes to mind....I'm not being flippant here. I have been through a lot of crap recently but in the last two days, the sun seems to have actually come out. We ladies go through so much. I hate when I hear my friends, family acquaintances say " oh, so happy your through treatment now, you can get on with the rest of your life"....they don't have a clue. Hang in there and rant and rave

And whatever else you need to do on here, you know you will get lots of support. hugs, hugs, hugs.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited August 2012

Janis sorry you had to go through so much. Scottie so glad the sun is shining for you. Even though I have surgery coming up I feel things turning around for me.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited August 2012

Kate, I have never spoken to you but I follow your stories with your surgeon and have looked at your pic.....beautiful. You are indeed very lucky to have such a person in your

life. Good luck with your surgery.

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Scottiee thank you so much. I appreciate your support.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited August 2012

Huge hugs Janis....sometimes I wonder how we handle it all....you are amazing!

Hoping things go well for you on Wednesday and all the other things clear up.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Janis, ok....((((((EXTRA BIG HUG))))))) Man, I can't believe you're got a uti on top of everything else. I'm certain that's the third thing and everything else will go like clock work. How'd it go at the MOs? Hope he was pleased with your progress. So....take a deep breath and rant and rave all you ant with us.....we're here to listen.

• SAB
    edited August 2012

{{{{{Janis}}}}}}}

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2012

Sew, I really did enjoy the time with my son and the meal we had outside.  My DH cooks because he's hungry Tongue out --- when I work, I'm not around much.  I dropped DS at the train and felt a little sad...but I realized I can see him any time that I really need to.  He is very special to my daughter's kids - he lived with them while he was unemployed and is a father figure to the kids (DD divorced).  They will miss him but I am glad that they have this strong bond and that they made memories.  OK ok enough - 'sniff sniff'

SAB, yes, your daughter is young, but they will figure it out.  I hope that this is someone you can accept.  And Iceland is awesome....but it sure is far from CA.  It is a beautiful and charming place - spectacular scenery.  Here's a photo where I stood in a crack in the earth where N. America and Europe are pulling apart.

http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/hornj/IcelandMidAtlanticRidge.jpg

I wish all my kids were within a day's drive.

(((((Janis)))))

I did not realize your surgery is this week.  It seemed so far off when you first made the date.  

As you rest after surgery, I truly hope you have little pain or SEs, and that your body will heal in many areas.  You deserve to be pain and worry free.

I am sending prayers your way and am also remembering the people in the path of the storm.

(Had to delete and rewrite this....on a Mac and it posted the computer code...hope it's fixed)

Nite all,

Joan 

PS - Janis, Kate....don't forget the B-I-G pockets! 

• Joan1112
    Joan1112 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2012

I'm just getting ready to start radiation therapy and was looking through this string for suggestions on what to suspect.  I also love to read the quotes that many people have at the bottom of their posts.  How do you get the quotes and the Dx info to show at the repeatedly at the bottom of your posts?

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Hey Joan 811 thanks for the photo...I wish I knew more about geology...it must be a fascinating field.  I love rocks and minerals and work with natural stone in jewelry whenever I can.

Joan 1112 your profile page should guide you to enter information about yourself, and to add a signature line.  Good luck with your radiation therapy...I hope all goes smoothly.   

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Joan 1112,

Welcome, and good luck with your rads.  The only advice I can give is lotion, lotion, lotion; protein protein protein and rest often.  Frequently just 5 minutes rest is enough to get you back on your feet, but don't ignore it.  Also, there's probably an active radiation during August/September thread for people just like you going thru it now.  But check back in here with any questions, problems you might have, although I'm hoping you don't have any :)

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2012

Joan -- at the top of the page is a link for "my profile"  click that. Then click My Diagnosis. Then click Add Diagnosis...

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Welcome Joan112. I totally agree with mostlysew. The most important thing to do is moisturize often.

• Mini1
    Mini1 Member Posts: 1,309
    edited August 2012

Ditto to what they said above. Use the lotion often and liberally. Listen to your body. I found aloe vera to work well for the itchiness, but don't be afraid to ask your team for something else if you have soreness or itchiness that the lotion doesn't help. It seems like a long tome, but it goes quickly. You'll be done in no time!

• betsyamend
    betsyamend Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012

Hi - this is my first post.  I am getting ready to start radiation therapy on September 10.  Can you tell me what it is like? Were you able to work during your treatments?  I am really nervous about this.

• betsyamend
    betsyamend Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2012

Hi - I am just getting ready to start radiation.  I made it thru chemo but am quite worried about radiation.  How does it compare to chemo?  Will I be able to work during radiation.  Will it make me excessively tired?

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited August 2012

Betsy, most people who did chemo claim that rads is a walk in the park.  Some people get very fatigued, others not as much.  (It seems exercise helps with the fatigue)  I didn't do chemo, so I can't compare the two.  I worked all through rads, but the last week was very tiring.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Betsy, You'll do fine.  You might get tired, or fatigued, but usually a short rest of 5 to 10 minutes will take care of it.  Several women going thru rads at the same time as most of us (last Sept, Oct. Nov.) worked during rads.  They would make their appts. for late afternoon and go straight home after.  If you have kids at home, you might need help with meals etc. Just listen to your body.  And keep the lotion on.  And keep the protein up.  It seems like 6 1/2 weeks is forever, but it's not, it will pass.  And for the first half, you probably won't notice anything really.  Good luck, and check in as needed.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Janis.......Oh Jan of my heart...  So, I've got my overnight bag packed, and all the treats and pick me ups packed and I'm ready for the Pocket Party.  I'm arriving early as I want a good spot.  It might be pretty well packed in there.  Just give us a giggle if we get too loud and we'll calm it down.  We're all rooting for you sweetie, and want you thru this with flying colors.  I know you will be you're so strong.

Hope you aren't stiff today from the tumble at the store and that your wrist is OK.  But, that will heal soon too.  Post when you can.  

P.S.  What time does this start tomorrow so everyone else can get there in time? (i'm coming tonight.......)

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Welcome Bestsy.  Rads is a little different for everyone...the ladies on this board had a full spectrum of experiences.  I will say that I was very fortunate to have few side effects or skin problems. I did moisturize a LOT.  I put aloe vera (100%, not the creams) on right after treatment before I got dressed. I also used a variety of creams recommended on the boards and by my RO.  And Cindy is right about exercise.  Try to get some gentle exercise in, and listen to your body if it needs rest, especially towards the end of treatment.  I hope it all goes well for you!

• katehudson25
    edited August 2012

Hi Betsy welcome. I did not do chemo, but I am sure radiation is a walk in the park in comparison. Some say they got very tired from radiation. I did not get tired at all. According to my radiation oncologist all of his patients can work. I seem to agree. The moisturizer that worked best for me was Udderly Smooth. It is very inexpensive at CVS.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited August 2012

Joan 1112, Betsy....Wolcome!  You have received some really good advice here regarding radiation.  We all made it through and so will you.  Hang in there ladies!

Thanks to everyone for all the cyber hugs.  It poured for awhile but I am still here.  Anxiously awaiting my big day tomorrow.  Sew is getting the best seat in the house by coming tonight.  She must have packed one of her cozy afghans, or a nice soft quilt.  First one there has to cook breakfast tomorrow, LOL!  I have a late surgery time, not until 1:00 PM.  So tomorrow morning will be rough with no breakfast and no coffee either.  I have to be at the hospital at 11:30.  I wish it was 6:30...not sure I will sleep much tonight.

I got a stylish new 'necklace' today.  NOT!  It is something my surgeon ordered called a 'Bone Growth Stimulator'.  I get to wear this clunky thing for several months, four hours per day.  Fortunately the four hours can be broken down into separate times during the day.  I'll describe it better when I am not so tired and distracted.

I'll pop in tomorrow morning just to see if Sew is feeding everyone properly.  Sab, I know you will help with snacks.  Joan, loved the picture!  How fascinating.  Elizabeth...as always, my love and thanks.  Kate and everyone else I just appreciate all the support.  We'll make it through this LOL!  :)

• SAB
    edited August 2012

Well I think it would be rude to start the pocket party while you are fasting Janis!  I think maybe we should play pokerwhile we wait.

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited August 2012

Janis, Sending you lots of love tonight, tomorrow, and always. I will be in your pocket playing poker along with everyone else. Great picture, SAB.

• MostlySew
    edited August 2012

Sab....all right! I'm in.....maybe we can use carrot sticks for chips, Janis probably won't be jealous if we're using those!