Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

"The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Options

Comments

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    Options

whenever Ive met fellow survivors - Im always given little pearls of wisdom......I try to give them back when I meet other newbies too, even tho im only a one year survivor.  Some amazing people have come in my path - little miracles......

• Hope1953
    Hope1953 Member Posts: 15
    Options

Shayne,

Congrates on being a 1 yr survivor. I'm happy too when I meet other survivors. The Cancer Center in my town are my family even tho I've been out of there about a year. I was at the hospitol yesterday to pick my sister-in-law up and I stopped by the Cancer Center and they are always happy when I stp in. this Sunday is Survivorship Day. They asked if I will be there I said I wouldn't miss for the world. I met wonderful people in the support group I go to. There you here some sad stories but I tell them "Stay upbeat". That helped me so much.

I'm happy you wrote back. Stay in touch ok? In Privat Message it is easier for me, I'm not use to this sight yet. OK!!!

Lots of HUGS

• Hope1953
    Options

The most encouraging thing someone said is "STAY UPBEAT" and I have. Now I tell anyone going through this that phrase.

hope1953

• bcincolorado
    bcincolorado Member Posts: 4,700
    Options

My breast surgeon said she didn't think it would come back at this point in time and bite me and released me! :)  One doc down!

• Hope1953
    Options

bcincolorad,

That is great she thinks it won't come back but she didn't tell you you have to keep getting checked?

By the way you don' know where the Private Messaging went do you? Let me know I like using it. Thanks.

It just popped back.

HUGS,

hope1953

• LizA17
    LizA17 Member Posts: 102
    Options

My surgeon gave me a copy of my path report a couple of weeks before I was to see my Oncologist. I had myself in dire straits interpreting this path report for myself. I was an emotional, physical wreck by the time I went for my scheduled appointment with my Oncologist. He walked in, sat down and said "ok, Stage 2, HerNeu+++, we're going to do 6 rounds of TCH, continue w herceptin for a year and you'll be on an anti-hormone drug for 5 years. I expect you to have a long life." I know with cancer he can't be sure of that but he sure sounded like he was and I think those words have helped me get through everything as well as I have. I'm going to prove him right!

I went to pick up my 8 yr old grandson at school one day shortly after purchasing my wig. I walked in, halls lined with people and children and he yells "Hi Grandma, love your wig!!!" Lol.

• Hope1953
    Options

LizA17,

kids are hoest and funny at that age. I was so nervous on the first day of chemo too. But it is over now. Like I said STAY UPBEAT and have plenty of support. I had relatives fro out of state keep me UPBEAT, the wanted to know my progress and the DR>'s report. they sent prayers and my sons girlfriend gave me bandanas and stuff. Now she is going through Cancer. Hers is Ovarian that went to the uterous, I am very worried about her. where are you in this journey? At the end I hope. PLEASE keep in touch here.

HUS,

Hope

• LizA17
    LizA17 Member Posts: 102
    Options

@Hope - I finsihed chemo in May and will have Herceptin until the end of the year. Started Arimidex after chemo and will be on that for 5 yrs. I have so much support and it has been a God Send. I've had those scary days where I let myself go to that worry place but really, not very many. I have 2 very special survivors in my life. One is my Mothers cousin who was diagnosed in her 40's (almost 14 years ago), she was very ill when she was diagnosed and didnt have a very good prognosis. She is alive, well and thriving today. The other is my husband's cousin who was diagnosed at 28 yrs old, aggressive cancer and lots of node involvement. She just celebrated her 8 year cancerversary is alive, well, thriving and had a little girl since her battle with BC. I've been blessed in so many ways and continue to be. I know breast cancer is certainly not a blessing in any form, but sometimes many blessings come from it. I did great through chemo, herceptin & Arimidex havent caused me any problems I cant deal with. No radiation for me. I tell myself every day there are many out there alot worse off than me. I'm sorry about your sons girlfriend. Seems like every time you turn around someone else is dealing with some kind of cancer. No rhyme or reason most of the time. I will keep in touch. I plan on encouraging everyone for a long time!!

• MsPharoah
    MsPharoah Member Posts: 224
    Options

Hi ladies.  What a nice thread. 

I have been keeping the owner of our company updated with my progress during chemotherapy and this is a reply I received.... "You are an amazing person with an amazing attiture.  You are an inspiration, a fighter and someone I am honored to know.  I will keep saying prayers for you and as always if there is anything I can do, let me know."

And then, my 2 1/2 year old gransdon who wanted to be like Grandma and have a cool hat for his head when he visited this month.  I felt so supported by this little tyke and gladly shared my headwear.

And I can't forget my dentist and dental hygenist.  My hygenist gave up her lunch hour to clean my teeth the day before chemo started.  And my dentist made me flouride trays at no charge so I could keep my teeth healthy during chemo. And then Jessica the sweetest hair dresser who shaved my head, made me look like Miley Cyrus, encouraged me to "rock the wig, babe" and didn't want a penny.  I love you David, Lillie and Jessica!

My best to all you wonderful ladies.

Sandra

• Hope1953
    Options

Hi MsPharoah,

I'm so happy your cancer free CONGRADS!!!!!! I'm on Tamoxifen for 5 years. I did have to have Radiation because it was in 3 lymph nodes. aaaalso I had a double Masectomy with re construction. Yes, we can stay in touch that would be great. I also encourage anyone I run into. There is deffinatly people worse off then we are.

It is 94 here in Conn, where are you and what is the temp?

Yes, keep in touch,

HUGS,

Hope

• MsPharoah
    Options

Hello Hope,  I am still in the middle of active treatment...last chemo is next Tuesday, then a brief rest and on to radiation.  I am post-menopausal so I will probably be on AI's, not sure what my onc will recommend.  But I will still take the congratulations, because I firmly believe that we all deserve kudos every day we get up and deal with BC.

I feel blessed to have a supportive husband and 2 dear adult children who love me so very much.  I feel blessed that my cancer was caught in early stage and that I have a good prognosis.  Whatever the future brings, I will be blessed with a wonderful life, wonderful friends, family. 

It is about 105 here in Las Vegas.  About 10 days ago, it was 118...too hot to go out.  But I like the hot weather and sunny days...and it is not humid.  It is probably humid in Connecticut so 94 probably feels like 118 in Vegas!

Best to you, Sandra

• Hope1953
    Options

Sandra,

I think I misunderstood but I'm glad to congrat you anyway. My family and friend are very loving too. My olest is going to be 32 in Aug and my youngest is 30. Oldest a girl youngest a boy.

We went to an antique car cruise at McDonalds Tues eve and it was so hot. tody is going to be 96 the heat index 104. It is 86 now and very humid.

I had my last physical therapy yesterday for my back but I have exercises to do at home. HOW FUN!!! Sat is the family picinic and my daughter will be coming back with my sister in law from Long Island.

Yes it does feel like 118 here. It's awful.

Best to you too.

Cathy

• Hope1953
    Options

Hi Sandy,

I haven't heard from you. Are you ok? Things are good here, Hope they are good there.

HUGS,

Cathy (hope)

• MsPharoah
    Options

Hello Cathy,

I am doing well. Had my final TC chemo today! I know that I will have the normal ses over the next week, but feels awesome that my next onc appt will not include an infusion. I have worked through all 6 chemos...missed a total of 7 days, 6 for treatment. I'm not trying to be a hero or prove something....just want to maintain as much normal as possible. I think it has helped me. Next is rads and anti-hormonals and I plan to rock those as well.

It sounds like you have a wonderful family and you have a lot of interests. How was the picnic? Do your children live close by? Do you have grandchildren? And last, how are your exercises going...helping your back?

Lots of questions...I hope you are well.

Sandra

• Hope1953
    Options

Sandra,

I'm happy it was you last chemo. The Rads burn you so be careful. Ask for something to put on it.

The picinic was great. I saw relatives I haven't seem in a year.It was GREAT. My daughter lives with us, and my son has a condo with his girlfriend. No grandchildren. my son says he is not marrying her.

The exercises ar going good. They help some. I still get a little pain if I stand long but I am better. Ask as many questions as you want.

I would ask the Dr. for oinment in case of burns. Mine turn bright red.

It has been real hot here.90's, but today and yesterday 80's but very humid. I'm happy we keep in touch. We have to do it more often.

I hope the Rads go good without any problems.

HUGS,

Cathy

• Daninayd
    Daninayd Member Posts: 21
    Options

For me, after my breast cancer diagnosis, people did tell me encouraging things, sent me cards and flowers but what really made me believe that I will survive this ordeal was the support of the my family (my husband and my son) and all of the doctors involved in my treatment. My husband is a physician who practices in two different hospitals and when I was first diagnosed on May 7, I had all of the necessary tests done (PETScan, MRI's, other biopsies and etc) in three days. I felt truly blessed at that moment that all of his colleagues were so accommodating and helpful. Every result was double and tripple checked to avoid ommissions or errors. My surgeon's office worked extremely hard to get insurance approvals and schedule everything in a record time. As soon as I had a test, the radiologists immediatelly contacted my husband with the results. Everybody was so nice and supportive and at that point I knew that I would be ok, not the same, but I will survive. I never felt more cherished, more special, and more protected in my life. 

• Hope1953
    Options

Daninayd,

I'm happy you had so much support and everything was set up quick. My doctor also worked very fast on getting things done. I was diag. Feb 23, I was in hos. March 13 having  double Mass and expanders put in. My family in and out of state were wonderful sending e mails for my progress. Friends were here almost eveyday and cards in the mail. And here again the best words in my recovery is STAY UPBEAT. To this daay 2 and a half yrs later everyone still aks me how do you feel. It's GREAT isnt it?

HUGS,

Hope

• laurenn
    laurenn Member Posts: 3
    Options

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZoraidaCNN

Watch CNN News Monday morning ....

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

I find it encouraging when I hear clinicians say, "You're a well-informed patient" or "I like when a patient is actively involved in their treatment."  This makes me feel like we really are all on the same team.

• Hope1953
    Options

elimar,

yes I agree with you. When they know you are worried and they tell you you are well informed that helps a lot. Also to know that we are encouraged enough to be involved with are treatment. I still go to a support group once a month on the first Tues of each month even though I have bee cancer  free  for  2 years. You encourage the people who are just  starting one  there journey.

Like I tell everyone STAY UPBEAT,

hope

• bcincolorado
    Options

I was encouraged when my mamogram tech had my test read and came back and said I was "good to go!"

• julieped
    julieped Member Posts: 42
    Options

When we told my children I have breast cancer, my 13 year old (who has long hair), offered me hers if I have to have chemo.  I love her.

• MsPharoah
    Options

Julieped,  What a wonderful girl you have.  So sweet!  Hugs to you and your family.

Sandra

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

LOVE reading all these wonderful stories...so many great doctors, friends, families out there that keep us all so strong!

• Hope1953
    Options

Yes, I love hearing about journeys and to support people just starting a journey. I'd like to hear your journey if you don't mind.

hope

• mnmbeck
    mnmbeck Member Posts: 156
    Options

The day I met my breast surgeon (about a week after my diagnosis), she walked in, introduced herself and then said, "The first thing you need to hear is ...This is NOT your mother's breast cancer. This is NOT going to kill you." I think it is the first time I breathed since I was diagnosed.

I have a couple of acquaintances who have gone through this. They have told me "this year is going to be hell....and then it is going to be in your rear view mirror. Just get through it. You will be fine. I promise." They have also been there to talk "breast reconstruction" with. Nobody really understands that except them. I know I didn't.

My husband has been my rock. He never once left me from the time I entered the hospital until I left 2 days later. I asked him to leave the room when the nurse took my bandages off. I needed some time to take it in before he was there. He said, "no....we are in this together. You don't get to be in a different place than I am. We do this together." When the bandages came off, I was devastated. He wasn't. He said, "not what I expected at all......You're STACKED!" (I had 360cc in my expanders after surgery.....not exactly 'stacked', but I will love him forever for his reaction).

We have a brand new neighbor. She is lovely and kind in spite of the fact that she hates everything about the fact that they needed to move for her husband's job. We hit it off right away. I only knew her a month or so when I was diagnosed. She was out of state visiting her daughter. When she returned, she came over (very sheepishly....we barely knew each other), and said, "you are going to think this is so strange, but while I was gone, I had an overwhelming feeling that I should be praying for you. Is everything OK?" I knew then that God was in this. That was the best thing ever.

Thanks for starting this thread. I love these stories!

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    Options

most encouraging thing said?

my neighbor whose diagnosis coincided with mine called to say that while she was in Burlington Vt visiting her daughter, she stumbled on the DragonHeart Vermont Dragon Boat Festival and discovered that there was a breast cancer team competing from our area. She said lets join the dragon boat team, so we did!!! Met many fine women who introduced us to many breast cancer services in our area that we didn't know about - and of course learned all about dragon boating - participated in races and dragon boat camps and met many other dragon boating breast cancer survivors.

• bcincolorado
    Options

My boss who lost her mom to breast cancer did a fund raiser walk in my name and gave me flowers when I had tests when they were worried about reccurance.

• Hope1953
    Options

My husband was the same way when all my hair was gone. He also said we are in this together (take that off your head and let me see). He was with me at every treatment except the week he was having his open heart surgery. I was with him every day also and I would stay some nights. He wanted me to stay every night but I had to get some sleep. His anxiety was worse then and he would call my name often all night so I didn't get much sleep. My son was a little upset because I would stay over. His girlfriend was kind enough to bring me back and forth on my treatment days.

Now she is going for harsh treatments because the other ones didn't work. She had Ovarian Cancer then it went to her Uterus and had radiation beads put in that didn't work so she has to do harsh chemo. My son said she might lose her hair. I have stuff that she can use if she excepts them. Her and my husband had a fight so she isn't coming in the house.

Sorry it took so long to write. We were working in my moms condo to be sold. I'm waiting for my cert to be executrix. My lawyer made a mistake so it's taking longer.

And thank you for writing, let's keep in touch OK!!!

Cathy

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,437
    Options

A dear friend of mine last year at our 20th class reunion said to me "You can beat this, kick its tail!" My mother reminded me of something that her mom said about what you can endure: "God only gives you what he thinks you can handle"

Recently I took this bit of advice and passed it on to a male classmate who has been diagnosed with cancer and passed the advice on to him with a bit of my own.