Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

"The most ENCOURAGING things said to you during your journey"

Options

Comments

• kks_rd
    kks_rd Member Posts: 99
    Options

Bump!  Positive vibes needed... :)

• Kindergarten
    Kindergarten Member Posts: 2,883
    Options

Dear kks_rd,  sending you positive vibes, hope you have a great day. It looks like you are almost one year out. Congratulations!!!! You will have many, many more. Hugs and Blessings, Kathy

• torigirl
    torigirl Member Posts: 748
    Options

Kathy,

Thank you for such encouraging words!  I love it!  You inspire me!

God bless ladies...and keep the comments coming!  There are so many that need to hear them!

Tori 

• slgarcia05
    slgarcia05 Member Posts: 154
    Options

Today my oncologist told me I am in remission!  What a beautiful word!!!!!!!!!

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

The most encouraging thing I heard from my husband's redneck friend when we were unsure if I would have to have chemo. Regarding chemo he said, "Sucks. But it works."

• farmerlucy
    farmerlucy Member Posts: 596
    Options

Oh and on my first visit to the onco after my "preventive" mx that wasn't. I said to the onco nurse, sobbing of course, "I thought I was gonna outrun it." And she, a bc patient herself, who was just growing in her hair, said, "Honey, you can still outrun it,"

• Kindergarten
    Options
    ToriGirl, thank you for your encouraging words and your positive attitude and for starting this wonderful thread. I love all the posts!!! Sigarcia05, Congratulation on being in remission. I know you will hear this word over and over. Farmerlucy, you Smilewill outrun this cancer!!!!! Hugs to all of you, Kathy
  • shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    Options

This is a great thread. I have finished all my treatment and don't come on bc.org that much anymore.

To those just starting this journey, it will get better. The time will come when you don't think about breast cancer very much. You will be too busy living your life.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    Options

Hey shadow2356~

Great to see you are doing well and are busy living your life.

Hugs to you!

• shadow2356
    shadow2356 Member Posts: 93
    Options

Hi Ang! Glad to see you are too! Another early Cold Capper. I am still hearing that cancer places tell people they don't work. Worked great for all of us.

I hope you are enjoying life :)

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    Options

Leah, that is astounding.  You are truly loved.

(ETA: This is a late response to your post on the 3rd about your friends reading through the Book of Psalms for you.) 

• Kindergarten
    Options

Lulubee, I love the Book of Psalms, so comforting and so inspirational. I recite Psalm 23, almost everyday!!!!! Hope everyone on this wonderful thread had a wonderful day. I also love the song:"Don't Worry, be Happy."  Easy to say, but sometimes hard to practice!!!!

• arenee98
    arenee98 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I had just started chemo when I attended a wedding and a lady came up to me who I'd never met before.  She introduced herself as a friend of the family and told me she was a 40 year survivor of breast cancer and she just wanted to let me know it can be done.  It was great to actually meet such a long term survivor face to face.

• fredntan
    fredntan Member Posts: 237
    Options

My first day of rads a few weeks ago the rad tech comes to get me. Im crying of course, in comes this big young guy. I'm thinking what is he doing working at a breast center. Earlier this week, I'm crying again. Its them that he tells me he knows what I'm feeling. He is seven year survivor from eweings sarcoma. Said he was in treatment four years, and finally got stem cell transplant. Theres nothing about him that even looks like cancer.its stop nice to see him every day of rads

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    Options

Ladies,  The BEST THING that has been said to me, was just this morning when my RO told me that my diagnostic mammo was clear!!!!!! I could have jumped for joy..  This is my first follow up exam, since surgery/radiation, See MO next Monday and have 6 months to wait for another RO appointment.

I happen to be a Christian, and THANK GOD FOR HIS CARE!!!

Vickie

• Vicks1960
    Vicks1960 Member Posts: 393
    Options

One thing that really touched me:  When I had the surgery for the partial mastectomy, my youngest (20 yr old) GD's boyfriend and the other members on his hockey team, each wore pink at their game that evening.  He wore my GD's pink hockey gloves, some wore pink shirts, some pink ribbons on their helmets. He announced before the game that they were doing this to honor me.. I think that was soooo thoughtful of them!!

Vickie

• kks_rd
    Options

BUMP :)

• Kindergarten
    Options

Hi, everyone!!! I recently read that Michael Fox , the actor with Parkinson's disease, tells his children that when they start their day : Always choose happiness!!! I just love that!!!!! Have a happy day , everyone!!!!

• Kindergarten
    Options

Dear Vicks!!! What a wonderful tribute to you!!!!!

• kks_rd
    Options

Love that, Kindergarten.

I just got one... a distant friend ran a marathon today, so I congratulated her on her facebook page by saying "Totally inspiring. Great job!" or something along those lines.

She responded by telling me: "YOU are totally inspiring. I ran for survivors today!"  Sure enough, I looked a bit closer and saw that she asked people for donations to Gilda's Club in the weeks prior to her race....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    Options
    This wasn't something that was said but it did make me feel great. My (crazy) husband tried to seduce me a few days after I got home from my BMX with nodes removed from both sides. Had to tell him we needed to wait a bit longer.Tongue out
  • denise-g
    denise-g Member Posts: 353
    Options

After my Breast Surgeon, Dr. Tara Breslin at the University of Michigan leveled the news to me that I had Stage III BC with multi-node involvement, had a 6 centimeter tumor,  would need a mastectomy, chemo, and radiation, she looked me in the eye with the most compassionate and convincing look I have ever seen and said in a firm and convincing voice, "We can cure you."  

I got those words made in 6 inch vinyl letters and rubbed them onto my dining room wall which I can see from every room in my house.   Some days during the darkest hours of Chemo, I would just stare at those words and let them absorb into my being. 

• Trisha-Anne
    Trisha-Anne Member Posts: 1,661
    Options

After my initial dx I had to have a suspect lymph node biopsied.  The radiologist was a wonderful warm hearted man.  He said to me that I would go to hell and back over the next few months, but that all that wouldn't change what was inside my heart.

Brought me to tears, but I did hang onto those words a lot through chemo.

Trish

• tinkertude
    tinkertude Member Posts: 1,998
    Options

What a great thread....so encouraging

The day I was diagnosed my hubby said ...OK guess we are going to kick cancers butt!!!

When I went in for my first surgery I was going to be in 5 days 3 in ICU he packed a suitcase and i said I don't know if they will let you stay in ICu overnight...he said... well I don't care if I sleep in the waiting room I'm staying.... they let him stay.

My mil said to me the first Christmas after my diagnosis.. the best gift ever was that I was hear with them..

• Kindergarten
    Options

Wonderful stories!!!! We all lift each other up, thank you!!!!!!

• septembersong
    septembersong Member Posts: 153
    Options

From a colleague whose wife had recently completed treatment for breast cancer: This is just a bump in the road. Before long, you'll be looking at it in your rear-view mirror.

It was a little more complicated than that, but he was right! God bless husbands, the unsung heroes in this saga. 

• cinnamonsmiles
    cinnamonsmiles Member Posts: 67
    Options

The day before my BMX, I had a major anxiety attack of fear that woke me out of sleep. My partner had come home from working third shift to find me standing in the shower crying hysterically. He dropped his lunch box, came straight to the bathroom and opend the shower curtain and I began to spew out all my fears. He looked at me and said, "I don't know what to say to help you." He came over and just held me with water going everywhere and let me cry.

Sometimes a hug and being held is better than empty words.

• Kindergarten
    Options

Yes, God bless husbands and partners. They are definitely the wind beneath or wings!!!!!

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    Options

DH said "whatever it is, whatever it takes, we are in this together".

He meant it too...he was there for every treatment. It blew all his holidays but what the heck. He now knows as much about this as I do...no need to explain!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

My Radiologist called me at home with the dx. I listened politely, asked sensible questions, then thanked her and hung up the phone. Then I went into the bedroom, closed the door, and started bawling.

DH came in and I told him the results. He sat down, took both my hands, and said "No matter what happens, we'll get through this together. We're a team."

He's been with me every step of the way. He was my Drain Man, my Pain Man, and my biggest advocate. He walked around with the baby monitor in his pocket in case I needed him while he was out in the yard or the garage. (We're retired grandparents.)

He knew when to step in, and when to back off. He was amazed I healed so well. I told him it was because of his promise to me.

I still have a ways to go, but he's still keeping his promise.