Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Between the Devil ( the red one) and the deep blue sea

Options

Comments

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Marybe...how are you a day out from your treatment ?? Anything odd starting to kick in ?

I wish peace for you with this blasted drug.

Hugs

Isabella.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    Options

Voracious -- I just love what you said.

Choosing life is hard, isn't it?  But that is precisely what we are doing.  I guess we are a courageous bunch, aren't we? -- even though we often don't feel like we are. 

Marybe -- sending love to you today!  Glad you're making your nest festive.  It really is worth the effort because it feels so good when your home looks sparkly and joyful.

Christmas cheer to all of you today! 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Marybe, sending you gentle hugs today and hoping you are handling the se's OK. I need to see you so I'm feeling a trip to Cincy is in the cards. Let me know when your guest room is open and we can plan a gals weekend.

•   I am so tired it is unbelievable......have never had this before, not even when I would crash from the steroid high from premeds.   Right now I am feeling OK, but I went to sleep before 10:00 last night and got a good night's sleep and I will say I am a lot better this week than the lst one, but when this tiredness hits, it really hits hard.  I did fine at work yesterday AM, but after lunch had a  patient not show up and once I was not up and moving, it was like OK, time for lights out.....problem was I had to see three people after that and it was an effort.  Decreasing the decadron helped a lot with the congestion and foggy feeling head, but I have to ask him if there isn't something we can do to decrease the fatigue....that is what I am calling this Fatigue.....something totally new for me. 

Slowly the house is starting to look like Christmas....think if I ever get it done, I will leave it ALL up....not just the tree. 

Barb,  I would love to have you come visit, but give me time to get my energy back.  Ellen, my friend from home, who was going to be coming today to stay a few days is probably going to be staying at the hospital after her treatment instead.  She is impacted!  She has tried an enema, laxatives, prune juice, everything!   Amazing how we take out bodily functions for granted until they stop.   Makes me feel petty griping about being tired.

• Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Marybe, I don't know HOW you do it!  You amaze me, because you find so much pleasure in decorating the house, even going through treatment!  And working!   Maybe all of the fun things you find to do, is what re-charges you.

Sorry about your friend....I just hate when things like that happen...After my surgery, I finally took Milk of Magnesia, and warm prune juice..... Needless to say, I will NEVER try THAT one again!  But it worked... Hope Ellen will be alright after today...geez....

• PlantLover
    PlantLover Member Posts: 132
    Options

Marybe ... I'm keeping you in my thoughts! 

I hope Ellen will feel better soon!

Hey, I know you want to and need to keep working and I completely understand, but please remember there's nothing wrong with calling in sick every once in awhile!

Take care!

•     Today I feel pretty good....it is weird, it is like my cheeks are too large or something, almost feels like I am looking over something when I look down, but there is no swelling so this is just the way it seems.  I worked this morning, one guy did not show up so that was nice, Tammy took me out for an early birthday lunch which was very nice and then I came home and finished up the mantel.  Now I am ready for a nap.  The tiredness comes and goes.  Oh, I do take off a lot more than I used to.....I remember back when I used to be afraid to ask for a day off, now I just tell them I want off and it doesn't have to be because I am sick.   My one boss is just great and the other one doesn't care as long as I have a sub to work. 

Ellen tried the milk of magnesia and the prune juice.....didn't work.....I will call her shortly and see what the doctor did for her.   One thing I have found is you have to sort of be preventative with all of this stuff....pain, nausea, constipation....can't wait for it to happen before treating it.

I LOVE Xmas decorations....maybe cuz I am a Christmas baby, but I think I just like the beauty of the season......there are a lot of decorations I find downright tacky, but I love the elegant looking ones with flowers and the swags and little white lights...especially the Victorian looking things.    My father said the lst year I was actually into Xmas, I didn't go for the presents, but immediately went to the tree and kept saying Lights, lights. 

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Lulubee... Yes we all are courageous despite not ever wanting to be put to the test...

Marybe, glad today is kinder to you! You rock!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Marybe, I too, love the lights!!! I LOVE driving around and seeing what people have done to their homes. Here we get snow later in the season and some people keep their lights for that reason. Just beautiful....beautiful!!

Don't know if it was on this thread, but I was almost impacted myself. Lactulose and the other prescription and OTC meds did NOT work. I drank a bottle of MOM and that limey citrate thing and even some Lactulose (orange thick junck) and still nothing. Then I picked up laxatives for women and it worked!!!!! My bowels get paralyzed from the narcoctics so I take Senna 3 times a day and that doesn't always work. Now I have the pink pill that DOES work. ALWAYS remember to take a stool softener before a laxative or you'll rip yourself apart.....

• fmakj
    fmakj Member Posts: 1,045
    Options

Marybe - my thoughts and prayers are with you!  May you enjoy your birthday and the Christmas season!  All the best for a happy and healthy new year too!! 

• PlantLover
    PlantLover Member Posts: 132
    Options

Marybe ... I agree, preventative was the trick for me when I was going through chemo.  Of course I had to learn the hard way after the first round.  6 days without being able to "go" convinced me to start taking MOM the day of treatment and usually for 3 days after.   I hope the docs were able to help Ellen.  That's a very miserable situation.

I love the lights too!  Hmmm, maybe we should start a picture thread to share our holiday lights.

So, Mayrbe, when is your birthday if you want to share that?  I'm glad to hear that you felt pretty good today!  Hang in there!!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

{{Marybe}} thinking of you and still praying.  DH and I are flying to FL to see my mom for the Holidays so I won't be around next week.  Happy (early) Birthday and Merry (early) Christmas!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    Options

Thinking of you, Marybe. Count me in among the light lovers!

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    Options

Ah, Marybe, so you're another December birthday gal!  

Mine was last week, and my family is still trying to figure out a night when they can all be available to do my cake and presents.  It's a crazy time of year to try to have a birthday party!  I Want My Presents!!!  Haha!

Happy Birthday to you!  I hope you can kick that nasty fatigue in time to enjoy your day, whenever it is.

• valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

♥ & hugs ((((( Marybe )))))

• barbaraa
    Options

Marybe, glad you had a good day. Please post pix of your tree and mantle!

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    Options

MaryBe-as usual you inspire me. I wasn;t going to do the dang tree but I am headed out to buy 1 right now. My chest and armpit are cracked and bleeding from Rads but by golly if you can do it so can I. I usually get a huge fresh tree  but I will settle for whatever little Charlie Brown one that is left.

I am glad you are starting to figure out how to deal with your SEs. Hey, when you get tired lay on the couch with your lights out and the tree and mantel on and bask in the glow.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Sounds like adjusting the meds. has helped a little. 

Someone wrote that a person has a lifetime limit for it, so if all goes well, what is the maximum time you could stay on it?   I guess I am asking is do they even know, by dosage, how much a person can take or is it something that they can tell as they follow the blood work?

I've already mentioned my chemo ignorance, and it seems like a lot of women get only 4 rounds of it when they do it three weeks apart.  Did they mention a game plan for you?

Hope you are having a good day today.  I'm enjoying all my twinkly and sparkly things.  (The trouble is I only cleaned the main rooms that I decorated, and they are done and looking good, but now I have the other rooms--bathrooms--to clean. Yuk.  I saved the worst for last.)

• QCA
    QCA Member Posts: 1,150
    Options

Hi Marybe.  Glad you had a reasonably good day yesterday and hope you've had the same today.  My son has a Dec. birthday (the 21st) and he always thought he got the short end of the stick, so we always made it a point to wrap his gifts in birthday paper and go all out for his day.  He's a big Duke basketball fan and I'm for Carolina, so this year one of his gifts is a Duke banner wrapped in Carolina paper! Heh, heh.

Kathy

• barbaraa
    Options

Happy birthday Marybe!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Happy birthday, sweetie!! I hope and pray that today finds YOU wishing for many, many more birthdays to come. With love,

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Kiss
  • Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    Options

Happy Birthday!  I hope you enjoy it to the max!!  Do something really special for yourself....you've earned it!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    Options

Happy Birthday!

• Isabella4
    Options

Marybe. Happy, happy birthday. I hope you can manage a good day.

Are you still sleeping a lot ?? Hope things are going along without anymore upsets. How many treatmeants are you booked for, or is it open ended ?

Do hope you are able to get a decent day, and that somebody else has made you a nice cake !

Isabella.

• My birthday is actually not until Dec. 23,. ...and I am doing something special.  I came up with this idea that I want to take a trip to Northville, MI which is the town I was born in and the town my mother and grandmother were raised in. Unlike my hometown, it has prospered rather than gone downhill.....yuppies came in awhile back and rather than tearing down nice old buildings, they restrored them.  I was there maybe maybe 8 or 7 yrs ago?, can't remember, but I know I was with Ron at the time and he took me there and we went on to Frankenmuth.   My grandmother had a ladies' dress shop there and the building is still there.  She used to let me dress up and pretend I am a manequin in the window....Also I remember when I got my very lst Barbie doll, the lst year they ever came out...maybe 58 or 59?....my grandmother was so impressed with the detail that went into the clothes (they used to be nice if you recall....really nice) that she asked if she could put her on display in her window and then when she came to visit up a few months later, brought my doll with her.   My friend who is here visiting this weekend used to play Barbies with me....we were on the borderline of being too old for dolls, but oh Barbie just had the neatest clothes...and boobs!....she was really built and unlike other dolls that were popular then.  I used to spend the every Xmas in Northville and we would usually arrive on my birthday.  Then when I was in the 6th grade, possibly the same year I got Barbie, the relatives were waiting downstairs for us when we arrived (my grandparents lived in a flat which was the entire 2nd floor over the store....and the told my mother her father had passed away that morning from a massive heart attack and the cousins kept my sister and I busy and we didnt' know why, just wanted to go upstairs and see our grandparents.   That was some Xmas.....birthday cake, Xmas and then a funeral.   My mother hated Christmas music from then on.   Ah, now I remember, I left Barbie there and Mama brought her home.   My Dad and sister and I came back to OH and mother stayed there for months.  She and my grandfather were really close and it took her a long time to recover.   Then one summer they sent me to spend the entire summer with my grandmother since she was alone and Mother thought she was drinking too much.   I gained so much weight because they had wonderful dairies there with homemade ice cream and also everyone was always taking me out to lunch or for a snack.  I loved the town and just decided that was what I want to do this year, so Tim is going to go get my father, bring him back here on Thursday and on Friday we will make our trek to MI....will visit the one cousin who is still there, will eat lunch or dinner depending in the time we get there, will walk the main drag where the shops are that I still recall from the businesses that used to be there ( I used to visit them all in drag....wearing a wig and my grandma's high heels)....oh yes, I have fond memories of the town.   We will spend the night somewhere and then on Xmas eve day will drive to my Dad's and Xmas eve we will go to church.   So that is my plan.....I just have to make sure I have enough energy to drive that day since I want to get there alive and you know my Dad's driving history.  It is a 4 1/2 hr drive....not bad.....in the old days it used to take 8 hrs and sometimes longer if we would get into a snow storm.

Well, must go now.  Cyndee is done trying on my clothes which I am giving to friends before sending a bunch off to consignment stores and the Goodwill.   I just have way too many clothes and when am I going to wear them, really?   We are going to Costco and doing a bit of other shopping.   I am just so happy I feel well.....mixed up cooking dough and will bake tonight.  It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas, ...Christmas.  

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    Options

Marybe:  So happy that you are feeling well too!  I used to live in MI...first outside of Detroit in Orchard Lake, and then in Traverse City.  What a beautiful little town....loved it there....wanted to raise my kids there, but alas my ex grew tired of it and wanted to move to S. Florida where he could maintain his "playboy" lifestyle.  Good riddance...did fine without him.

My boyfriend and I went on a little driving trip a couple of years ago, covering all the old ground.  He's from Milwaukee, so we went there and then drove up through the UP and down to Traverse City.  It was great to see that they had preserved the waterfront and it is as pristine as it was 30 years ago!  We found my old house, and the new owners invited us in.  What memories!

Enjoy your trip...make some good new memories to go with the old!  Life is about enjoying the moments! 

• barbaraa
    Options

Marybe, an early happy birthday is OK. We have 3jays to thanks since she posted on your Facebook happy bday!

Have a great holiday. Sounds like a good plan but definitely, do not let your father drive.

• Isabella4
    Options

Marybe, you have the same birthday as my granddaughter....she always moans about it being so near to Christmas. She was taken out this last weekend for an Indian meal....or so I see from the pics on FB !

I am pleased you're feeling up to a road trip down memory lane...I like to do these trips. Don't do too much, look after yourself, and let the menfolk do the most of the work this year.

Hugs.

Isabella.

• illinoislady
    illinoislady Member Posts: 34,401
    Options

Happy Birthday just a little early Marybe

Your memory lane trip sounds wonderful.  Keep up the good work....and the good rest when its needed. 

Jackie