Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Between the Devil ( the red one) and the deep blue sea

Options

Comments

• chabba
    chabba Member Posts: 3,600
    Options

Wishing you a happy, happy birthday Marybe!

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Happy Birthday Marybe!!!!!  I sure hope there are many more for you........enjoy your day and do exactly what you wish.  Take care on the icy roads if you are driving!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Thank you everyone for the good wishes.  I won't be 62 until 4:30 this afternoon.  I don't think the weather will be bad at all....it is drizzling right now, but supposed to clear up.  Michigan has been as warm as here so am not anticipating any ice or snow.   I will probably be checking in later when I get to my Dad's for Xmas, but if  not Merry Xmas to all of you.  AND I'm off.....like a herd of turtles as my mother used to say..........................Oh, the good news is, I am driving my car...Tim had forgotten to get the gas cap on tight when he  put in the WRONG type of gas....so the tank was registering that it was leaking.   I told him never again to put gas in my car.   Happy Holidays Everyone!!    Love, Marybe

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Have a safe and joyous trip, sweetie!! Happy,  happy birthday!!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    Options

Happy Birthday and safe travels!

• PlantLover
    PlantLover Member Posts: 132
    Options

Marybe ... I agree with what profbee wrote: I hope that for your birthday you see that you have touched many people here.  Thanks for being part of this community.  Well said!!

Happy Birthday!!  Please have a fun and a safe trip!  (Off like a herd of turtles, LOL!) 

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    Options

YAY! You are 62! Happy birthday! Hope you're enjoying it and your trip.

• barbe1958
    Options
    62???? HOLY CRAP!! I hope I get to live long enough to be old like you!! Wink ....53 and counting....
  • 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582
    Options

Bon Voyage and Happy Birthday Marybe - you are an inspiration to us all.

• lulubee
    lulubee Member Posts: 903
    Options

Getting to see sixty-two candles sounds positively dreamy to me (I just turned 51).  Yay for you, sister!  

Marybe, have a blast going down memory lane, and have a jolly Christmas!  We can't wait to hear all about it!

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    Options

What profbee said.  Very best birthday wishes to you Marybe.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    Options

right behind you, Marybe.. 62 in March!!!I;m so glad the  car was ok.. we have to at least give the hubs

try tp help, though it hurts more than helps, most of the time...

okay, so 'the stockings are hung with care" rugs cleaned, and i can barely move!!!

Jason called to see if we wanted to come over saometime in late am with Jared, who DID get priveledges to be with us christmas eve!!!its shaping up nicely, but with this crew, ya never know.. so tommorrow, gonna take my baking stuff over, and hope to bake cookies with the grnds.. something i've never gotten to do over christmas!!!i'm so tired these days, but i must say, #1 Jay has been SIII much better, this year.. and im one grateful mpom!!!

i hope you all have as much luck with your families... see you soon.....3jays

•  I'm Baaack! My trip was a big success.  I arrived in Northville at around 2:30 PM and called Cousin June to tell her I was there....we agreed to meet in front of my grandmother's former store which is now a candy shop....it was a Ladies's dress shop when she owned it.   I really lucked out and got a parking place right there.  I saw June walking up the street and she said she would have recognized me anywhere....yeh, right.....last time I saw her was at least 25 years ago, pre- white hair.  She uses a cane, but really gets around with it....I had to scurry to keep up.  We went in the store, but wanted to see other places also so I did not buy anything then.  We went up and down Main Street and I recalled the businesses that used to occupy the place we were at.  There are some really nice shops there and quite a few restaurants and coffee shops.  . Me in front of store that used to be my grandmother'sgift shopMain Streetgarden &gift shopbook store with coffee shop The Presbyterian church

(which still looks the same)                                                  My birthday dinner

The racetrack where my grandmother used to play the daily double. 

The door on the right goes up some stairs and the entrance to what used to be the "flat" my grandparent's lived in was there over the store.

This is the cider mill which is still in operation

These are some of the old homes in Northville which have been restored and are lovely That last one was my Aunt Velma's home.

When we got up on Sat. there was snow on the ground....not a lot, but enough to make it feel like Xmas.After breakfast  June and I went to visit her son Karl at his office and stopped by his home, went back to the candy store to buy chocolate to take home as gifts for some of my friends,  and then it was time for me to go back to OH. It was sort of a rush trip, but I am so very happy I went because I have many happy memories of the town and being there again brought them all back.

The trip home was much longer because of both miles and the roads which were not expressway, but I got there in time to go to our friend's party. Tim had already gone to her house, so I just ran in , got my Dad and took him with me.   Xmas was good....went to see Sherlock Holmes after dinner.....My father said it was a disgrace to tie Sherlock's name to that movie, yet it was the one HE wanted to see....I wanted to see WarHorse.  Tim drove back with the dogs Mon AM and I drove back late yesterday afternoon....worked today, Ellen (my friend doing the Adriamycin and rads who is from my hometown) is spending the night and has gone to bed....her husband is downstairs playing guitars with Tim and I am going to turn in myself.  It's a good thing Christmas comes but once a year as the song says because it is rather exhausting. 

Tomorrow is treatment #4 and so far I have not shed a single hair which worries me.  I am going to have them run the CA 27.29 tomorrow.   That nerve that is being pinched in my back is really causing a lot of discomfort with my femoral artery and I have a difficult time sleeping because it flares up when I lie down.  But then I see how much pain Ellen is in and how she is walking with a walker and I figure I should not complain.  So she is helping me as much as I am helping her.

Good night all.   

• ruthbru
    Options

Thanks for sharing the fun pictures from your trip!!

Good luck with #4. Maybe you should ask for a prescription sleeping pill? You need to be able to sleep. Hang in there. Ruth

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Gee, Marybe! I better start taking vitamins now.... So I can keep up with you when you come my way!!! Looks like you had a terrific stroll down memory lane with your loved ones! Good luck tomorrow! As always... Thoughts and prayers!

• Alpal
    Alpal Member Posts: 112
    Options

So happy you had a good time. It sounds wonderful and that town is charming. Thought about you every day, hoping the trip was meeting your expectations.

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    Options

martbe, thanks for posting your visit with us.. its the way i "travel" now.. enjoyed all of it.. Hope #4 goes well, and the tms are coming down...

my friend with cervical cancer is having ablation surgery 2xs this week.. i feel for her. we went out to dinner with them tonight... i ate slowly, carefully, but had 2 fits of choking.. tommorrow i see the dr.He'll probably order a barrium swallow test, we'll see then.. i think the thyroid node is obstructing, but hope its just inflamation... ...3jays

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Lovely pictures Marybe. So glad the trip went well for you! Happy New Year!

• Isabella4
    Isabella4 Member Posts: 1,352
    Options

Marybe, thanks for the lovely walk back in time, what a pretty town you came from. It's just so nice to be able to do this, but also is heartbreaking because things you remember have changed soooo much ! Pleased you got to see your cousin, and her son for the day.

So pleased you are back home again. Rest up as much as you can, please don't be running around after everyone else ! YOU are so important to us all, we don't want you doing too much !!!

When is your next treatment ??

Isabella.

• barbe1958
    Options

Fabulous trip, dahling!! You CAN go back!! Have you tried Melatonin for sleep?

• Good morning, everyone.  I know I should be checking in on all the other threads to see how everyone is doing, but it is so much easier to just post on here and I am glad to see so many of my "old" (only a figure of speech ladies, We are all young at heart) friends on here.   I don't think I need a sleep aid, Barbe & Ruth....we just have to do something to get rid of the pain which is coming from that disc in my back that pinches a nerve and somehow goes to my leg.  It is amazing how everything is connected....I know when I had my knee replacement, it helped my back out a lot.....now I need to get some treatment for my back to help out my knee and thigh (the pain just goes right up from the knee in a line up the femur).   I want to avoid surgery if at all possible because then I get into that mess with my warfarin and always end up with a blood clot.  Last night I slept with one of those big reading pillows, sort of sitting up and it was much better, but I was up and down a bunch of times.

My treatment is today Isabella and I am going to ask them to run the CA 27/29....it will be my 4th treatment so hopefully since I will have already gotten three done, it will show a change.....in the right direction, that is.   If not, I am guessing they will be well above 8,000.   I only see the PA today, but see Cody again in Jan. and then it will be time to start meeting that huge out of pocket and deductible once again.  I talked to Ellen about going to see my onco for another opinion and she is going to do it.  I told her he is not a miracle worker and I am not saying he is the answer, but it never hurts to get another opinion.   Her radiologist is all gloom and doom and I do not think that is a good thing. I told her Stage lV does not have to be the end.  It is not good to have false hope, but at the same time it certainly is not good to have no hope at all.  Her husband is going back today and she is going to stay and a friend is coming today....that to me makes a lot more sense than going all the way back to Portsmouth and then making the trip to here again on Thursday.  I know the other friend,...she is a breast cancer survivor.  We will have our own little cancer support group here.

3Jays,  I am certainly glad you had someone there at the restaurant who knew what to do when you were choking....and am also glad that your son is finally beginning to appreciate you.

I am glad you all enjoyed my trip down memory lane.  Next on my list of places to go will be visiting some of you from the boards....hope to go to KY and Florida.  Taking off work should not be a problem, so all I have to do is stay healthy enough to travel.   That one guy I work for is a jerk....we could not find a sub today so I am going to work the afternoon after my treatment this morning.  I told them I would give it a try, but if I fall off my stool, I am going home.  I seriously do not anticipate that since the only time I was really wiped out was that lst treatment, but still I think it is very thoughtless of him, putting production before my physical well-being.  This is why when I start on the SS, I am going to be working for just the other dentist one day per week....he would have said Don't worry about it, we will either find someone or reschedule the patients to a later date. 

Have a good day.   I think mine is going to be a long one.   

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

Marybe, it sounds like your trip was wonderful! The only thing I can't figure out is why I can't see the pictures. Dang.

I don't like  the sound of that guy, scheduling you for the day you have tx. If you can work slowly without compromising the patients then do so. Healthy teeth are important but cancer is sort of, you know, a bit more serious sometimes.

Best of luck.

Leah

• barbe1958
    Options

I'll try holding you up on your stool, but I can only take so much 'lean' until I'll have to let you fall!!

Pain management has got to be number ONE!!!! Did you talk to your cousin's son? Is he a doctor at that Pain Management place???

• Yep, it is Karl's clinic.  He is a DO and said he sees many cases like mine.  They have a MRI machine and the whole bit right there and I sat in this really neat chair that was like a huge overstuffed lazy boy that he could recline with the push of a button. 

Why can't Leah see the pics?....any ideas anyone? 

• ruthbru
    Options

Good luck today. Glad you are being an advocate for your friend. She needs to be working with people who are positive. There are always people who beat any odds. My own grandfather was diagnosed with stomach cancer in the 1950s. He had surgery and was sent home to die.....which he did....30 YEARS later!

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    Options

Loved your trip pictures, and your dad's remodel is just lovely - you did a wonderful job!

Best of luck with your tx today!  Sorry about the grumpy dentist - what a jerky way to be...

Take care, and enjoy your friends, here there and everywhere.

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Glad your whirlwind trip to Northville was smooth and nostalgic.  I bet your dad loved hearing about it, too.  

Well,  I don't know how long it takes for you to get the CA 27/29 results (which always sounds like a CA state highway to me) but it is about time for those numbers to drop.  Happy New Year to that!  Hope those tumor markers got subdued by the "Red Devil" even if the hair did not.  What if you have developed chemo resistant hair after all these years?  Go, feisty follicles, go!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

Well, Marybe, if you've developed chemo resistant hair and can figure out how, you can market it and be rich!

Go, feisty follicles, go!

Leah

• TexasKaren
    TexasKaren Member Posts: 151
    Options

Marybe:  LOVED the travelogue and the pictures!  I've never been to the East, and all the beautiful old homes are so lovely!  I'm glad you are feeling good; tired but... it's the holidays.  My back makes me sleep sitting up several nights a week, or at least I have to sit up from about 3 am on... it does help.  I'm praying the A does the trick for you.... and no, you don't have to lose your hair; I know someone on the full dose during primary treatment that only lost some; very thin, but didn't all fall out like the rest of us.  Maybe your follicles are 'mutated' now...LOL

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Marybe, I'm so glad that your trip 'home' was as wonderful as you had hoped.  Thank you for sharing as it gave me a good look at a part of the USA that I did not see and the pics are great!

Here's hoping your CA markers are doing a nose dive and give you a great big surprise (a good one)!! Good luck with treatment #4!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy