Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Between the Devil ( the red one) and the deep blue sea

Options

Comments

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    Options

I want a bite of that luscious chocolate frosted cake!! Yummy!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    Options
    oohhh that cake looks yummy!wish it wasn't "virtual"....3jays
  • mostlymom
    mostlymom Member Posts: 378
    Options

my poor modem looks funny with all the lick marks....

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

Happy Birthday Marybe!

Leah

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    Options

It's your birthday! It's your birthday! 

!!!  Happy Birthday Week Marybe !!!!

SmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmileSmile

Hugs GInger

• Kaara
    Kaara Member Posts: 2,101
    Options

Boy that cake looks good....my favorite....chocolate...my second favorite....red velvet!  OK...time to go get some more rabbit food to stop my cravings!

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    Options

Gosh Kaara, if you can stop cravings for chocolate by eating healthy stuff, you're a lot stronger than I am!

Leah

• Yum, that cake looks wonderful.  If there is any left after these ladies get done with it, I will take a slab of it with me on the road trip for my Dad and I to celebrate with on Friday in the actual town where I was born!   I am so excited about this and just got off the phone with the AAA about having a trip tic made since I am one of the  few who do not have one of those navigators or GPS things, and I don't want one either.  Trying to get Blue tooth to work drove me nuts!

Good news....my ortho doctor told me this AM the pain in my left leg and going down to my artificial knee is NOT from mets....there is compression on a nerve in my back so after the lst of the year I will go for PT since I told him I much prefer this to surgery.  So now I feel much better about that....even if it will still be bothering me I know it's not the cancer eating a big hole in my leg. 

• Cyborg
    Cyborg Member Posts: 192
    Options

Happy Birthday, Marybe.

It's good to see you on the boards where I can check in with you. I hope the treatments give you what you want and need. I am so glad you have been feeling good overall. XO

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Sending out my cards today...

• claire_in_seattle
    claire_in_seattle Member Posts: 2,793
    Options

Hi Marybe,

Have the most wonderful birthday.  Sounds like so much fun.  I celebrate birthdays for at least a month these days.

As for energy crashes, two things helped me:

1. Major protein for breakfast, or at least early in the day.
    2. Starbuck's chai lattes.  The right combo of milk, tea, spices, and sugar.  They were a godsend during AC.  I couldn't do coffee, but these kept me going.

Good news on your leg.  Not that the pain is good news, but sometimes leg pain really is orthopedic.  Can you rub yourself in with Aspercreme??? 

Anyway, have the most wonderful time. - Claire

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    Options

Marybe, Great news about th pain in your leg. I know you feel so much better knowing it's not cancer!! We love good news. Have a wonderful time on your trip. It sounds absolutely delightful. I just love Memory Lane. Enjoy your birthday all month! Glenna

• 3jaysmom
    Options
    although im sorry the knee is wonky, im so glad its not the dreaded mets! i'm also glad you're going on that trip with daddy.. i'll email you soon... enjoy your birthday week!!!.........3jays
  • valjean
    valjean Member Posts: 1,110
    Options

Marybe, I hope any bad weather holds off for you while you come "home" to my fair state of MI. I haven't been down that way, I tend to stay away from that area of the state because of the traffic. The closest to that area I go is Lakeland, just south of Brighton. But, I really am not that far from Frankenmuth, where you have also been, which is north of Flint which is only 20 miles east of me. That is a lovely place, beautiful old homes, great shops & good food.

Have a wonderful visit! Enjoy your Birthday on Friday.

♥ & hugs

• Patriotic
    Patriotic Member Posts: 30
    Options

Marybe, I am wishing you a fabulous birthday and trip to your hometown. It sounds wonderful. Enjoy. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Very cool trip back in time, Marybe!!! Have some nice treats for the car to nibble on and a bottle of water...good tunes on the radio...your Dad beside you...perfect!!! Have a safe, happy and uneventful trip!!

Take lots of pix....

• Kaara
    Options

Good news on the no mets Marybe!  Have a fun trip!

• TexasKaren
    TexasKaren Member Posts: 151
    Options

Have a wonderful, blessed birthday trip!  It sounds marvelous, and I know you will have a wonderful time.  Thinking of you always as with all my sisters in this.  Holidays are so important, and birthdays too !!

• 3jaysmom
    Options
    Happy Holidayslove, 3jays
  • Chevyboy
    Chevyboy Member Posts: 10,258
    Options

Happy Birthday & happy Holidays Marybe!  My DH birthday is tomorrow... So we are going to do something fun today, to stay out of the snow that's coming tomorrow...Wink

So glad your knee is safe from any mets!  Don't need that.  Have fun on your trip...you and your Dad!  Wish I could still do that with mine....so many memories!  Take good care!

• Trip has changed, but am still going...but most likely alone which may be good as it would be a short hard trip for my father.   My car had a light go on today and I can't get it into the dealer until Mon....so I left a message at another garage tonight and am hoping they can get it in.....my boss thinks it is just the exhaust filter.  Then my Dad says his check engine light is on and that is even worse than mine....SOOOO, it's not likely either car is ready for a roadtrip.  I am thinking maybe I will rent a car....I talked to the cousin who had invited us to say and said if the invite was still open I would love to stay with her.   We were trying to figure out when we saw each other last....maybe 30 years ago! 

Here are a few pics from the party at chemo today....me with my chemo buddies and one of the food spread.   My appt was at 9, but I was still in the treatment room at 10:30 which is a bit early for food like that, but I managed to eat....I took stuffed dates and a pumpkin cheesecake.  The nurses bring in food and tell patients they can also if they want to or feel up to it.  It is the one day people actually want an appt.....it's always the Wed. before Xmas.  The woman next to me is 73 and plays tennis still.   She gets herceptin and faslodex.  The one lady with no hair has been like that for over a year now so it probably won't grow back and the other gal has colon cancer and gets avastin and erbotux (sp?) they had people waiting for that drug to arrive today.   Here is the food table.  It's really a nice affair.    My onco liked his gift....an antique ink well set that I have had for a long time....got in in NO for him and decided I liked it so much I wanted to keep it and would will it to him....he collects pens.  But I decided to give it to him while I am still alive and told him the story behind it....I got a hug.  The nurse said You got a hug and I said Yep.  The treatment didn't hit me hard today....I delivered cookies to 6 doctor's office after that and also went to my office to deliver gifts and got birthday gifts from them.  I tugged on my hair and said to the onco, Look at this.  I don't think it is working and he said Remember you are getting a lower weekly dose and you won't get as many SEs with it or get them as rapidly...he said we will do scans in Jan.  This one nurse I had today was asking me how long I had been doing this, etc and when I was telling her how I was going to wait on tumor markers since I fear they might be 8,000 by now she asked How do you do this?  And I asked what and she said just talk about it so casually and I said well, I have been doing this a long time so am pretty used to having cancer as a part of me....and that's the truth...but for the lst time I am starting to think it may be getting the best of me.....otherwise I would have kept the inkwell, but it really made me feel good to finally give it to him.  

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,993
    Options

Sounds like you had good food and special buddies to be with and you are being an example of 'grace under pressure' for the nurses as well. Maybe you gave away the inkwell because you have the Spirit of Christmas, nothing more or less. Hope you can figure out the trip. I just got an email from a cousin whom I haven't seen in years. There is something special about a family connection. Happy Birthday and Christmas! Ruth

• Gingerbrew
    Gingerbrew Member Posts: 1,997
    Options

Hi Marybe,

Sounds like a good chemo trip today. 

I think renting a car is a great idea! I always feel like I am really on a vacation in a rental car. I hope you have a great time visiting with your cousin. 

Hugs Ginger

• Kaara
    Options

Marybe:  I love your attitude...go with the flow.  If the plan changes...just go with it!  Enjoy those moments in time!  You are teaching us a lot.

• barbe1958
    barbe1958 Member Posts: 7,605
    Options

Marybe, you gave him the inkwell so you could see his pleasure!! Nothing wrong in that, that is the gift of giving.

A rental sounds like a treat!! Find out if it's cheaper to rent one way only and then switch cars for the way back. OR, bring back a car they've been waiting for!! You may get a cheap ride....

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Happy birthday Marybe!!

So glad you got to see him appreciate the inkwell set.

• PlantLover
    PlantLover Member Posts: 132
    Options

Marybee, you are something else!  Happy Winter Solstice to you!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,883
    Options

Marybe,  Hope your Birthday is great and makes you as happy as a kid in a candy store...

...yes, one that has TAFFY!  Many Happy Returns!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Innocent....  Betcha thought... some of us would forget by now,  that TODAY is your birthday, Marybe!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  And here's your virtual present!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtQqjtzgah4&feature=related

Hope you enjoy it!

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    Options

Happy birthday, Marybe!  I always think that a person never knows how far their influence reaches.  I hope that for your birthday you see that you have touched many people here.  Thanks for being part of this community.