Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

February 2012 Chemo

Comments

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154

I believe Benadryl is standard. I fell asleep the first time but not the next 2, as with everything it will depend. I drove myself the last 2 times. Because I was sleepy the first time, I wanted to read and doze without feeling like I wanted to stay up for whoever was with me. I was ok by the end of the tx to drive.

Lumpy - how are you healing from the LX?

• lumpynme
    lumpynme Member Posts: 497

i feel good- some discomfort --muscles...i go next week tues to surgeon again....

i can get my arm up over my head np 

but-i am aware that i had surgery! i can feel it!

my skin is sooooooooooooooooo dry tho--i cannot believe it!!!!!!

• Myleftboob
    Myleftboob Member Posts: 983

Lumpynme

Get yourself some organic coconut oil, way cheaper than any cream you can get at the drugstore.  I've been using it for a couple of months now and I can't believe how soft my skin is and my skin is dry always.  Its amazing.  Its solid at room temp but I put in in a sink of hot water while I'm in the shower.  You use it like you would any other oil after a shower, like baby oil.  Great stuff.  My jar cost me about $10 and I know I'll have enough to do me another 2 months.  So @ $2,50 a month not to shabby..

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160

I also use the coconut oil. I just put a teaspoon in my hand and it melts instantly. Especially after getting out of the shower. It's great for the bald head too.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906

Not me...I was dozy for ages. Wait, maybe it is my natural state :D

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

Lumpy, 

I am getting IV infusions, and my nurse specifically said that Taxol is not as hard on the veins as AC--they fret less about making sure they have a perfect IV placement. Having said that, I'm only getting 4 infusions every other week, not 12 weekly, which I think makes a difference. 

Where does one get the coconut oil?  

• Myleftboob

Hildy

I got organic coconut oil at a bulk food chain, Bulk Barn but I've seen it at the regular grocery store.  For sure you'll find it a Whole Foods but I suspect it will cost more there. 

• ali68
    ali68 Member Posts: 644

Waiting for last chemo and I'm good to go. DH asks onco if I should have one more FEC after this. She said I could but I didn't need it as I would have had five FEC and 1 Taxotere. I said if I don't need it I'm happy with what I will have and I'm not having another shitty chemo. He told her you are just agreeing with Alison. When I got out we had a few words and I went in one direction and told him to stay where he was.

He thinks it will do some good but I think it will make no difference to a recurrence if I have it or not. She also said Alison has been through a lot and has change very badly in appearance and this could get worse. Also she has surgery and rads to do, I can understand where she is coming from.

• Myleftboob

Ali

You must be so relieved that this is your last chemo!!  In reality you will have had 6 which is what alot get regardless with node involvment right?  We have a very similar pathology with the exception of HER and I got 4.  I'm very comfortable with that.  Are you getting a MX or LX, I can't remember. 

• ali68

Hi, going for LX as I have had amazing results with chemo. I could strangle DH you just know if it comes back he will say "I told you so"

Onco said I bet you won't find any cancer left as it has worked so well. Having scan on 23 may so we will see.

Like to see him try it, also I told her I was still doing everything in the house and was very tired. She gave DH a sharp look and he went very quiet after that.

• Myleftboob

The main thing is to get through this TX and regain your energy.  I'm not sure when your surgery is scheduled for but I will tell you it's ALOT easier than chemo.  I had surgery first so I can tell you that firsthand.  After a week you'll almost feel normal, well once the drains come out for sure. Only took pain meds for 2 weeks. You likely won't start RADS until you're good and healed too.

• faithhopenluv

lumpnme - taxol has been tough on my skin, more so than AC unless this is a delayed SE.  My face is dry and my feet are peeling - like in sheets of skin.  So....coconut oil sounds like a good plan, i'll pick some up tonight.

ali - it's possible your husbands not so tactful question of another treatment was more based on making sure they got it all and while you have suffered so greatly, to make sure it was all worth it.  It's great news that chemo has been so responsive.  that is definitely a benefit of having chemo before surgery.  I had a LX, but will have a BMX because of the BRAC2 - I'm not sure how i'm going to feel if they find anything else in either breast.  Nothing showed up in the MRIs/PET scans, but the reason I am going for the BMX is because i am likely to have a 2nd occurence at some point. If they do find something after chemo, even if it is removed, it is going to worry me.

• ali68

Why do you think it will come back?

• faithhopenluv

With the BRAC2 gene mutation the statistics vary but indicate that I was 60-75% likely to get breast cancer in my lifetime.  Once I got it the first time and especially at age 41 the risk of a 2nd occurance is in the 40-60 range without a BMX.  Removing as much breast tissue as possible greatly reduces the risk. 

For extra fun, my ovarian cancer risk is near 30% as well and they will be removed in October.  

• lumpynme

i only had LX but i agree that surgery was easier than chemo....

as to the coconut oil- i just haven't picked it up yet- i have found it at a grocery that i frequent but yesterday went to a diff one- about $10-$11 and looks like it will last awhile- in the organic area

i'm just so not used to having dry skin!!!!! 

• Myleftboob

Lympyne

Yes surgery was easier.  At least once it's over with you can just get on with healing so you know there is an end in sight.  I remember how freeing it was to get the drains out. I had two and they kind of grossed me out but I didn't have an iota of bruising. My neighbor had a LX and no drain and it looked like someone took a baseball bat to her, it was aweful.  She was shocked to see I had no bruising at all.  She was so curious to see my insiision because iof that.

You're going to be pleasantly surprised witth the coconut oil.  I can honestly say my skin has never been softer and I have pretty dry skin.  As well you don't have to worry about parabens or other additives which I like alot.

Well its time to get off the computer and get some housework done.  Goiing to get out with the girls tonight for a couple of hours too.  I want to spend the weekend cleaning up the garden beds and working on the grass etc.  I have a retired neighbor who puts me to shame and it kind of drives me nuts but at least it gets me moving my ass LOL!

Have a great weekend everyone!

• ali68

I have finished chemo

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

Ali, congratulations!!!!!!! Wahooo!

• firstcall
    firstcall Member Posts: 201

Ali - What a great day!  I hope things get better and better for you.

• gonegirl
    gonegirl Member Posts: 1,022

Ali, that's great. you deserve good news.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

8days out of my 4th tx, I ate a beef kabob with rice and I tasted it. Wonderful. Could probably have eaten more, but better not push. Smiling also hoping to keep it down, LOL. Little joys.......

• lumpynme

ali and moonflower;

yay!! we take the little joys!!!!!!!

• Myleftboob

Ali

Awesome news!! Can I get a Whoot Whoot!!  Please keep us posted on how your're doing!!

• Myleftboob

Moon

Kudos to you honey!  You have hung in like a trooper!  Happy you enjoyed your beef kabob!!  Little things mean so much!!

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

Congrats Ali! :)

I have a weird thing going on and I really don't know how to describe it. If I raise my right arm (my cancer was in the right breast) I can feel this "line" under my skin, going from my armpit quite a ways down my arm, almost to wear my elbow area starts. Like a ridge. DH thinks it's just a tendon and maybe I aggrevated it somehow. But I am really sedentary. I guess it feels a little sore when I touch it, otherwise it doesn't bother me. But it's kind of freaking me out. I am glad I am going for treatment #5 Monday so I can ask the doctor or PA about it but does anyone know what it might be?

• JenH13
    JenH13 Member Posts: 155

Grats ALI!!!

Wonderful news Moon!!

• Hildy910
    Hildy910 Member Posts: 227

Ali!!! Congrats!

Christina, that sounds like cording as a result of the surgery. It's scar tissue, and not uncommon. I have it and am getting PT to help stretch things out... 
  • Gayle56
    Gayle56 Member Posts: 111

Great News Ali!!!

• mthrdee
    mthrdee Member Posts: 68

Ali - hurrah!!!!!

Moonflower - congratulations on eating something - doesn't it feel wonderful?

(((Hugs)))

• christina0001
    christina0001 Member Posts: 449

THANK YOU Hildy!!! I was kind of freaked out by it. I'd heard of cording from this website but had no idea what it was or that it might happen to me. I read the info here on it and I'm sure that's what it is. I'll definitely talk to the onc about it on Monday. I'm relieved that it is nothing worse. :)