Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

Lily,

1. Please, read the diverticulosis info pg 1or 2. You need to know what signs and symptoms to watch for, to get yourself back to the hospital or call EMS.

2. Call your PCP's office and tell them it's 14 days. That you have been to ER and what treatment they prescribed. Request an appointment ASAP. Document everything. A witness would be nice. What you said, what they said, names, dates and times.

3. Apparently you passed some stool. That's why the rectum was empty.

4. digital exam----did some one stick their finger up your butt to feel for stool.

5. Are you immunocompromised?

6 have you started a new drug in the last three weeks?

7 What drugs are you on and length of time on each drug?

8. Anything unusual happen within a few days of the onset of the constipation?

9. Are you on any pain meds now? (please, stop if possible until this episode is over)

10 has this ever happened before? What did you do?

That's all I can think of now. Going to get a form I did a sometime ago here that has more questions. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

BBL

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Did this awhile back.

Aug 7, 2015 11:43AM - edited Aug 7, 2015 03:36PM by sas-schatzi

Hate it when they're is trouble in the end. They're is several parts to your question. Fill in the blank , cut& paste to another box.

What do you take for a pain med?________________ How often do you take the pain med?__________

Last dose?______

Have you changed your diet within the last two weeks?_______________________________________________

Do you know how many glasses of fluids you drink a day?________________Coffee/tea?soda?_______________

Antibiotics within the last 3months/ what/why?______________________________________________________

Did you start any new meds within the last month?__________________________________________________

What meds do you take?_______________________________________________________________________

Any Left side abdominal pain?__________? Abdominal pain elswhere?___________Any bloating?____________

Any change in stool color?____________________________________________________

Have you noticed any streaking of blood on the hard stool?____________________________________________

When you were taking pain meds how often would you evacuate?_______________________________________

What's your immune status?_____________________________________________________________________

Do you have grandkids? (just kidding)

IMPORTANT: this is a review. It will help Identify if you have had a new onset condition change that will help you decide if you need to go to the doc. Not every episode of constipation needs a physican look, but a condition change does. I can't suggest what you take. sassy

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    Options

THanks SAS, but I have been taking Duphalac for the last 5 days already with no result.....

Questionnaires are good.......

• Lily55
    Options

What do you take for a pain med?__Nothing______________ How often do you take the pain med?__________

Last dose?______

Have you changed your diet within the last two weeks?_____No__________________________________________

Do you know how many glasses of fluids you drink a day?_8 to 12 _______________Coffee/tea?soda?  4 teas black

Antibiotics within the last 3months/ what/why?_______no_______________________________________________

Did you start any new meds within the last month?__Anastozole 6 weeks ago______________________________

What meds do you take? Anastozole, thyroxine, aspirin, ramprimil, apart from anastrozole been taking all others at same dosage for years______________

Any Left side abdominal pain?_no_________? Abdominal pain elswhere?_yes right and centre__Any bloating? a little______

Any change in stool color?____Yes paler________________________________________________

Have you noticed any streaking of blood on the hard stool?_blood yes___________________________________________

When you were taking pain meds how often would you evacuate?_not often so never tak pai meds as they not efficient enough to make it worthwhile______________________________________

What's your immune status?_  No idea_________________________

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, Well that bollix' s that. They gave you the same drug different name at the hospital. What happens if you go back to the hospital?. What's also bollixed is, if you had that drug in your drug list, then that tells me either they didn't look at your drug list or they don't know their drugs.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Are you answering the questions?

• Lily55
    Options

Yes i answered them above, those blank are not applicable...no duphalac was not in my drug list but i told them everything i had taken with no result.....and it was on there..............the only thing it can be is the anastrozole as this is not a problem i normally have....

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, Yes, we have been at this for years it seems. Forgot about the AI. Seems you said you stopped it? How many days ago? Going to take a look bbl

• Lily55
    Options

Stopped taking it 6 days ago........how long does it hang around? 

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, Sorry missed that you cut and pasted the questionnaire. Good. If you can answer the other list of questions. I'm going to cut and paste your cut and paste and put what it means next to it in bold.

What is the manufacturer of your anastrozole.

Apparently they're near 40 of them now. Daily med is the one I'm checking now

bbl

• Lily55
    Options

1. Please, read the diverticulosis info pg 1or 2. You need to know what signs and symptoms to watch for, to get yourself back to the hospital or call EMS.

2. Call your PCP's office and tell them it's 14 days. That you have been to ER and what treatment they prescribed. Request an appointment ASAP. Document everything. A witness would be nice. What you said, what they said, names, dates and times.  I have their report but went alone, don´t live in USA, can only go to ED again

3. Apparently you passed some stool. That's why the rectum was empty.  - this was a few days ago,,,,,,no change since then

4. digital exam----did some one stick their finger up your butt to feel for stool.  Yes and hence answered 3 based on that

5. Are you immunocompromised?                                        No

6 have you started a new drug in the last three weeks?       No

7 What drugs are you on and length of time on each drug?  Tyroxine 75, aspirin 100, Rapiril 2mg...............over 10 years

8. Anything unusual happen within a few days of the onset of the constipation?      no

9. Are you on any pain meds now? (please, stop if possible until this episode is over)  no

10 has this ever happened before? What did you do?    No, never had laxative resistant constipation like this.....

• Lily55
    Options

Apart from eating vegetables to get the fibre, I follow all those rules in the post re divertí.......

• sas-schatzi
    Options

24 minutes ago Lily55 wrote:

What do you take for a pain med?__Nothing___

Have you changed your diet within the last two weeks?_____No

Do you know how many glasses of fluids you drink a day?_8 to 12 (GOOD) Coffee/tea?soda? 4 teas black (looking for how much caffeine, you're in the okay range)

Antibiotics within the last 3months/ what/why?_______no_

Did you start any new meds within the last month?__Anastozole 6 weeks ago

What meds do you take? Anastozole, thyroxine, aspirin, ramprimil, apart from anastrozole been taking all others at same dosage for years( will throw these drugs in my drug checker in a few minutes)

Any Left side abdominal pain?_no (good) Abdominal pain elswhere?_yes right and centre(your still blocked, be very aware of this pain)Any bloating? a little( based on no poop in 14 days amazing it's not more)

Any change in stool color?____Yes paler (how pale is pale? as long as it's still brown it's okay, The brown color is created by bile that is released from the liver and the gallbladder which is the storage bag for bile. White is no good, it indicates a liver malfunction)

Have you noticed any streaking of blood on the hard stool?_blood yes( that can be from hemorrhoids or diverticula )

When you were taking pain meds how often would you evacuate?_not often so never tak pai meds as they not efficient enough to make it worthwhile(okay good info)

What's your immune status?_ No idea( not sure if AI's affect immune status. Will see if it's listed while I look for any connection to constipation. In general constipation isn't listed so far, BUT BUT BUT when nothing else has changed and a new drug is introduced that drug is the suspect for the problem, no matter what the literature says)

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Okay see the divertic post-----------off to look at anastrozole a bit more. Try your MO's office for an appointment while I'm off.

Okay see the other form

• Lily55
    Options

It shows on here as a side effect..........I feel dried out all over........in such a short space of time too

https://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a696018.html

• Lily55
    Options

I took Bluebird make of Anastrozole for first month then it was changed to Ranbaxy

• sas-schatzi
    Options

11 minutes ago Lily55 wrote:

2. Call your PCP's office and tell them it's 14 days. That you have been to ER and what treatment they prescribed. Request an appointment ASAP. Document everything. A witness would be nice. What you said, what they said, names, dates and times. I have their report but went alone, don´t live in USA, can only go to ED again

3. Apparently you passed some stool. That's why the rectum was empty. - this was a few days ago,,,,,,no change since then

4. digital exam----did some one stick their finger up your butt to feel for stool. Yes and hence answered 3 based on that

5. Are you immunocompromised? No

6 have you started a new drug in the last three weeks? No

7 What drugs are you on and length of time on each drug? Tyroxine 75, aspirin 100, Rapiril 2mg...............over 10 years

8. Anything unusual happen within a few days of the onset of the constipation? no

9. Are you on any pain meds now? (please, stop if possible until this episode is over) no

10 has this ever happened before? What did you do? No, never had laxative resistant constipation like this.....

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Sorry about overlapping questions see next post

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Are you 1.burping, 2 passing gas, 3 do you feel any movement in the belly, 3 cramping? Did they say if you had bowel sounds?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Okay, anastrozole does cause constipation, documented in three trials

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Come on back Lily

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Are you 1.burping, 2 passing gas, 3 do you feel any movement in the belly, 3 cramping? Did they say if you had bowel sounds?

Very specific reason for these particular questions

• Lily55
    Options

Burping - very Little, twice today, not before

Passing gas - yes but not excessively, when it is though its a lot longer than a normal fart

Movement - no

Cramping - no

No bowel sounds

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Yoohooo Lily

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Okay there you are.

Go back to the ED. You either have an ileus or working towards one. You should be admitted, on IV's, Nothing by mouth except clear liquids. Nastrogastric tube may or may not be indicated yet. Your not completely shut down yet. Burping is the release of gas when it can't go in the right direction. Generally, not a problem and associated with food, but in your presentation it's an early sign. Putting it together with history, they haven't done right by you. No bowel sounds, generally, have to be established by using a stethoscope. On the other hand they're can be sounds associated with no forward movement. You have to have some abdominal distention by this time i.e like you're pregnant? Cramping would be an indication that the colon is propelling forward in that snake like movement. It's not doing it. Passing gas the way you are is a not normal also, but it's better than nothing. If it is an ileus, the next thing to happen is no passing gas, abdominal distention and lot's of burping.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

They gave you a drug to help with the motility, but never established why the motility was interfered with.

What I was looking for was a definitive statement about cintapride and it's use without determining cause. Would have been easy if a statement was outthere. But I can't find one right now. But in general the other drugs used in the USA do say not to be used in mechanical obstruction.

Your bowel AIN't moving, unknown reason why.

Lily, I can't see trying any more. I used to teach decision making to paramedics and nursing students. This is a phrase I used to use with them when it was time to hand the problem off to a higher authority.

" If based on everything you know about the problem, you don't have an answer, then give it to a higher authority" May sound simple, but it's huge. It's saying "I don't know". Any attempt after that delays time to obtain care of someone that should know. That delay can be life threatening.

• Lily55
    Options

THank you for all your help and time SAS.......

They told me not to go back til 2 clear days have gone by.......so I dare not do that...........they would simply not see me..but I will if nothing happens tomorrow as I too feel something is wrong........ileus due to medication is my bet........and i think the medication to increase motility shows that......

She listened to my belly with a stethoscope. She just said if there was no gas it would be a danger sign........

I think USA is a sophisticated scared of litigation society, here its the reverse........they are trained in patient shaming here

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Patient shaming Hmmmmmm never heard that one. Not good. Not good. Bad medicine. The shame is on them.

Go back and reread our posts from today. That will allow you to put everything in sequence as we have multiple time cross posted.

If you still feel you can't go till tomorrow, you will at least have done it with more knowledge than you had this morning.

I still suggest clear liquids.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

If your symptoms change or worsen, please, return to the ED.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

BTW I worked for one of the Founding Fathers of the American College of Emergency Physicians 36 years ago. It made him crazy that people would call it Emergency Room. He would go off on anyone that would say Room. He'd say "It's a Department, a department" Very dramatic. You reminded me of that when you said ED. Here the habit of saying ER has never been broken. An the show ER in the 90's didn't help. Likely will always be ER here.

Your English is excellent. Are you anexpat or Spanish?

• Lily55
    Options

I am english living in Spain, and believe me patient shaming is an art form here..... spanish patients treat doctors as God, whereas I ask questions - i do think Ileus is the diagnosis, I have more interest in going but there is nothing there to go, its still higher up, had soup today, will drink more..........

THank you for caring xx