Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    Options

SAS - since I know you'll research anyway, I'll be interested to hear if 'they' point specifically to hormone positive cancer with their sugar study. From what I've seen, many of the "no-nos", like weight & alcohol consumption, don't seem to hold the same threat for those of us who are ER/PR negative or triple negative.

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

Morning Sas .... I know how it fits! Remember, I like to have liquorice or nibs .... keeps bm moving! So fructose/sucrose is probably in this candy!

• aug242007
    aug242007 Member Posts: 186
    Options

I don't believe that mice to human translation works. As Dr. Susan Love stated "We have been curing breast cancer in mice for 50 years." This is just a waste of money and mice.

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

I coined a phrase this summer. " When change is occurring try to be on the right side of the change". I agree the research is not definitive. But we are in the situation that we need to be aware more than most of what research is saying b/c of our BC. Love's on my timeline. This is where I got the link. Glad to know what you've repeated what Love said re: BC and mice research. Love doesn't post reams of studies. Would love to know what she feels about this particular study.

What's different is the research going on with mice has taken a new turn since 2001. Accelerating faster than they or us can keep up. NIH has or is completing a whole new housing for research for the Microbiome. New mouse lines. Came across allot of research while working on the weight thread. So, the mouse of yesteryear is not the mouse of today. Would also like to know what Love thinks of the Microbiome research.

What has been shown with the Microbiome is that fats and sugar can alter it. Antibiotics are a big disrupter. Even the manner of our birth. Vaginal versus C-section. Disrupting the Microbiome leads to all kinds of changes in the gut and ultimately the gut wall. When that occurs it allows low level endotoxins to circulate. Those circulating endotoxins affect distant structures. Also, pathology of breast, prostate, and more have shown bacteria to be present. What's unknown is how did they get there i.e in a closed system they shouldn't be where they are. Was the gut the origin of their entry into the closed circulatory system which allowed them to find their way to the tissues? Mice are helping to understand it.

In the discussion on Fructose p 24, they're is a link that divides higher and lower fructose items. Without going back to see if any veggies are in the list, they are basically fruits. In studying fructose, we found that it's converted to sorbitol. It's sorbitol that has the colon effect to promote bowel evacuation. I suppose until something appears to be definitive, we make the best decision we think works for us. Balance, all things in moderation. Looking at diets that are associated with positive outcomes i.e Paleo, Mediterranean, Japanese.

It's going to be so much easier in 25-50 years.

• aug242007
    Options

I and Dr. Susan Love still believe there is no translation between mice studies and women with breast cancer. Real waste of grant money. Money is the reason that they do this.

• agness
    agness Member Posts: 406
    Options

Take extra magnesium, until you see digestive side effects:

Cal-mag-Vit d supplements

Epsom salt foot baths - magnesium sulfate baby

Magnesium oil - can be itchy

Electrolyte water - use that sodium-glucose co-transport to push good things into cells

Natural Calm magnesium - mix 2 tsp in a liter of water and SIP throughout the day

Plus magnesium rich foods

Plus--

Extra virgin coconut oil - improved absorption

Resistant starch - improves absorption

I spent the past two years studying this and have restored my own depletion of magnesium. These tips are hard won.

Ann

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    Options

Ann-can you explain more about electrolyte water? Would it be good to drink a glass of it while taking meds for breast cancer? If so, brands? Just at the grocery store? Like pedialyte? I used to give that to my kids years ago when they were sick.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Source: Jiang Y, Pan Y, Thea P, Tan L, Gagea-lurascu M, Cohen L, et al. Dietary sugar induces tumorigenesis in mammary gland partially through 12 lipoxygenase pathway. Cancer Research. 2015

///////////////////////////////////////////////

Couldn't locate the full study above no matter what gyrations I went through. But it's not forgotten b/c it has implications for the use of prunes/apricots/raisin concoction.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Called Dr. Love's office. Talked with her assistant. Confirmed that DR. Love does not believe that any research on mice translates to anything to humans. I disagree with her, the research opens many doors to the study of things in Humans. If you choose to disagree, no problem with that. I do however encourage you to read the studies before categorically dismissing them. The Microbiome work that is exploding throughout the science world cannot be discounted. But without so serious study you won't get it.

While Dr. Love doesn't believe in mice, they're two articles on her DSLRF web page that refer to the current research of the Microbiome. In the articles it is identified how the Microbiome research has lead too human research. I will also link to the Weight thread that I started this past summer. They're many biome articles linked from in that thread from page one on.

I'm linking DSLRF articles & links here in full. The first article was from 2014

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Research Worth Watching: It May Be Time to Eat Dirt!

Published November 20, 2014 By DSLRF

The microbiome is all the rage in scientific circles these days and for good reason. We have better tools for studying the bacteria and viruses that share our bodies. We used to just take a piece of tissue, put it on a petri dish and incubate it for an arbitrary amount of time, and then see what grew out. If we didn't get all the conditions right, nothing would grow.

Now, we take the tissue and map all the DNA and RNA, then subtract all the human DNA and RNA to see what is left. By definition, the remaining genetic material has to belong to other life forms; i.e., bacteria, viruses, etc. This research approach is leading to interesting findings related to the potential of an altered microbiome causing diseases we have not traditionally thought of as infectious.

Epidemiologic studies have indirectly suggested a breast cancer link with the microbiome. They show that women who take a lot of antibiotics have more breast cancer and more recurrences, presumably because their gut flora has been altered.

There have also been many studies showing that the microbiome of your gut can change how you metabolize estrogen. In fact, a team at Rush University Medical Center is currently recruiting from the Army of Women® for volunteers to participate in a breast cancer microbiome study. The purpose of this study is to categorize the bacteria found in the intestines and how these bacteria metabolize estrogen and other female hormones in women who have never had breast cancer, women who have been diagnosed with breast cancer within the last 5 years, and women who have never had breast cancer but who have a first-degree relative WITH breast cancer. They still need participants! Click here to learn more about participating in this microbiome study and share it with your friends.

Newly reported research in mice suggests that the microbiome may also affect the efficacy of chemotherapy. In one study done in France, researchers found that cyclophosphamide (Cytoxan) altered the bacteria in the guts of mice, triggering an immune response which then was able to also attack cancer cells. The tumors in mice that were germ-free or had been given antibiotics did not respond to the drug! In other words, gut microbes may affect the immune response generated by anticancer drugs.

A second study in mice showed that the microbiome directed both local and systemic inflammation. Romina Goldszmid from the NIH found that germ-free or antibiotic-treated mice responded poorly to immunotherapy and platinum therapy.

More recently, a study was done in mice on anti-tumor immunity in melanoma. The researchers got genetically identical mice from two different labs that had been shown to have different microbiomes. They injected melanoma cells under the skin and found different results in the two strains. One showed a strong immune response with lots of immune cells in the tumors and less tumor growth, while the other had less immune response and more tumor growth. When they kept the mice together in one environment so that their microbiomes would become the same, the tumor results were also the same. Most remarkable was that when they did a fecal transplant from the mice with the good bugs to the ones with the not-so-good bugs, the immune responses became the same!

Obviously, the microbiome affects not only the local immune system, but that of your whole body. This is definitely research to watch. Before we know it, an analysis of stool samples to characterize our microbiomes and whether they are healthy will become part of our regular physical exam. Meanwhile, we need to avoid extra or unnecessary antibiotics and maybe even eat a bit of dirt now and again!

http://www.drsusanloveresearch.org/blogs/research-worth-watching-it-may-be-time-eat-dirt

• sas-schatzi
    Options

This is from Dr. Love article on The AAR meeting of 2014.

" Finally, and very interesting to me, was the panel on the microbiome. Just as cancer researchers have focused on the tumor cells and neglected to pay attention to the immune system until recently, they have also avoided thinking about the vast numbers of bacteria and viruses that live in our bodies. I have written about the Dr. Susan Love Research Foundation's exploration of the biome of the breast, but this AACR panel focused mostly on the colon. In this session, the most interesting observation was not only that the microbiome is involved in whether you get cancer, but it also affects how well certain drugs work! This area of exploration is just beginning, but watch this space as it will become increasingly important in the future."

http://www.drsusanloveresearch.org/blogs/aacr-focus-immune-system

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Another link on the DSLRF where mouse studies are identified in breast cancer research

http://www.drsusanloveresearch.org/blogs/pilot-grants-awarded-multidisciplinary-teams-using-intraductal-approach-advance-breast-cancer

//////////////////////////

Link to the listing of articles related to the Microbiome on DSLRF web site as they are too numerous reproduce here.

http://www.drsusanloveresearch.org/search/site/microbiome

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Dr. Susan Love may say that she doesn't believe that mice research translates to human research, but she has NOT discounted the research that is being done on the microbiome. Much of that research is being done on mice, then research into the human is the next step to see if those concepts applied.

Actions speak louder than words.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Sas, could it be that she doesn't think that mice anatomy in regards to breast cancer don't mimic humans enough? I know beagles are used for some medical research because of their similarities to humans.

This is off topic to this thread but were you able to access the YouTube site I pm'd your about? That along with the research study makes a lot of sense to me. Was wondering about you're opinion.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi Kathy can't say. Didn't ask that direct question. But the Microbiome research is using oodles of mice. Then working studies out to see how their discoveries appl to humans. She's following that, plus she referenced in the several studies things I've already read about human microbiome things that are also linked on the weight thread. Time will tell :)

Oops need to look at my PM's BBL

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Kathy that youtube link said the video was unavailable. Have some fun and wander through the studies on the weight thread. If you read from page one, you'll see how I kept following the breadcrumbs.

What was the link about?

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    Options

Sas, she mentions a feeling that viruses could be the cause of breast cancer. On my newer computer I had to do a search on YouTube to get the video to come up. It's called A Future Without Breast Cancer. Her speech makes you think of how much sense that makes. Not too long ago, I read that UC Berkely has seen a link between a bovine virus a breast cancer with further study on the matter.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Still couldn't locate it but got diverted. It's probably on the DSLRF web page. The Microbiome is inclusive of viruses, bacteria, mycobacterium, fungi....whatever else that is buggy that lives in us and on us. Please, kath read the weight thread. You will have some fun. Actually, you could help by giving feedback. But please read from page 1. My posts are following the breadcrumb trail.

• mimipickle
    mimipickle Member Posts: 160
    Options

Thought this was some interesting shit:

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2014/10/1...

"And acid-resistant capsules only come in translucent. "So they are sort of brownish-colored capsules," Hohmann says. "Fortunately, because they're frozen, when you take them out of the freezer they sort of frost up a bit and they're not too gross."

Too funny!SickTired

• aug242007
    Options

I believe that continuing to do research on mice or other animals is the definition of crazy.

• minustwo
    Options

Ellelou - OMG - I'm gagging just reading the article. Hope I never need them but definitely relevant.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Aug you now have stated your position twice. It's opinion. Opinions are to the individual as how we eat a meal. Same food in front of us, but how we consume it is different. I have stated my opinion. If you would like to bring some research here that shows mice research doesn't contribute to science, I will read and discuss. Otherwise the food is consumed and dinner is over. No point in remaining at the table.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Ellelou, thanks for the link. Don't think we've discussed it. They're is a definite ewhhhhhhh factor LOL.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Kathy http://www.drsusanloveresearch.org/blogs/future-without-breast-cancer%E2%84%A2

"For a Future without Breast Cancer™" DSLRF. Nice. Exciting. I like the very clear statement of what they support in research. Dr Love is an amazing woman. Kathy was they're a particular spot that you want me to look at? I'll add her link on the EBR thread. She has gathered lot's of info in one place that is useful.

• minustwo
    Options

My brother sent me two jars of "pear sauce" for Christmas (he says like applesauce but thinner). Since I've always found pears to persuade my system to evacuate, I'll be interested to see if this does the same. I'll report back. But still, 3 dried prunes when I get backed up works for me.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Good luck in the end................

• Rosieo
    Rosieo Member Posts: 200
    Options

Sas

I know you started a Pain thread but I can't find it. Can you direct me to it

Thanks

Rosieo

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi Rosieo The guts of the thread aren't done. Please, add to it. I work in spurts theses days.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topics/839123?page=1#idx_11

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    Options

Ooooh Pear juice sounds good. I'll have to try it!

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Sounds good to me too, Ice cool with mint :) in a crystal glass............everything goes better in crystal.........even Metamucil.........

Kathy, ya'll come back now. I think I they'reis something on the weight thread on diseases associated with bacteria, but it may have been viruses. I'll plug it into google again in a minute.

She mention sphymiomas(sic). I have a long section on that, particularly Sphingomonas yanoikuyae. I say S.Yanoiki b/c it's much easier than the true spelling. I think Kayb introduced it initially

A new bug that is a virus that is going to set the virology researchers on a massive change of thought is transmitted by a mosquito. The Zika virus once it enters the bloodstream of a pregnant woman causes the very serious birth defect. Somehow causes microcephaly. Microcephaly is small head and brain. Generally, severe mental retardation. A birth defect caused by a virus. This is big. Huge implications world wide.

http://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2015/11/18/456515544/zika-virus-101-one-more-mosquito-borne-disease-to-worry-about

• sas-schatzi
    Options

The point being, this is a whole new area of study.