Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

CONSTIPATION--problem with so many of our drugs

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

OK - here's a question that maybe someone could help me with. I started suffering from constipation a couple of years before I got breast cancer. Recently I read an article that claims that constipated women are more likely to get breast cancer: http://nutritionfacts.org/2016/01/14/bile-acids-an...

But that isn't what I came here to ask. It is about hemorrhoids. Something that many constipation sufferers also suffer from. Recently I had a hemorrhoid flare up and my question is if anyone knows of any effective and safe home remedy or product other than the usual preparation H. Reading that label on prepH it has parabens - which since I was estrogen positive I'm trying to avoid. Thanks in advance for your help.

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    Options

I went on to Anastrozole 6 weeks ago and have been gaining weight steadily despite not changing diet.  I am now at the point of being so constipated I feel ill and cannot eat a normal meal.....it has been well over a week since I had a pooh and I used to be a once or twice a day person, same time of day...........I have taken laxatives for 3 days in a row and they made no difference.  Normally these laxatives, that I have maybe taken once a YEAR before, are very effective for me...........when I thought back I realised I had been poohing less and lesss for weeks before, I now feel FULL FULL FULL of shit!!!

I have decided to give up on Anastrozole......................been getting breathless and having  heart symptoms again too................but for now how can I get going again???  I have tried figs, dates, orange juice, coffee, litres of wáter, laxatives, veg soup........very hot tea.........and I am hardly eating anything...as feel so full...........it is horrible..........................

• JudiH
    JudiH Member Posts: 1,168
    Options

Sas, love your post! I like seeing Jim and not John! To the other two ladies, Sas and the other ladies on this thread can help you out. My home remedy I wouldn't recommend to anyone but it works for me. I've been having the Metamucil fibre bars and not only do they taste great but also do the job!

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,094
    Options

Lilly - sounds like it's getting critical. I'm sure SAS will jump in later, but if you're not taking Colace to soften what's in there, that what I personally do. I take the Colace without laxative pretty much whenever I'm past 3 days. I expect SAS would like to hear what laxative you have taken.

I'll be interested to see what SAS thinks about a Fleet Enema. I'm of an older generation and an enema was what all our Mothers did for lots of problems, even to bring down a fever.

flaviaRose - I was going to recommend Preparation H wipes instead of TP, but sounds like you've already researched that. I've personally never had hemorrhoids but i do sometimes get 'fissures' on the outside. For those I use Mycalog Cream. SAS will have some thoughts.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi, Lily and Flavi, If you read the first or second posts at the beginning of the thread it explains about how the pressure within the large colon causes hemorrhoids and prolonged pressure over time can lead to diverticulosis. Give those posts a read, then see if they help you understand the problem more. Understanding the problem can help you figure out a solution better.

Lily, bad news on the Anastrozole. The first thing I must say is you should check in with your PCP. Because of the length of time since your last bowel movement, this is a serious scenario. You are at risk for serious problems. Dislike telling you that because it will cause you to worry. Sorry. But it is important to tell you this. It, also, clarifies why you should check in with your doc.

Discuss with them:

1. If you are not in a reduced immune state, using a fleets enema. I used to get my docs to order two fleets enemas a half hour a part. The reason for the fleets is b/c the stool in the rectum becomes very dry when it sits there too long. It's like a cork in a bottle. The first fleets moistens the stool at the rectum and the second gets the next portion moistened. That will help things move on down and out. Even with taking laxatives or mag citrate, that really hard stool in the rectum is difficult to get things to pass. Google impaction.

Very important that no form of enema be used in a reduced immune state.

2. Discuss Magnesium Citrate. It's the product that is very often used as the prep for a colonoscopy. That will clean out the whole system. If they are okay with Mag citrate figure on staying home the whole day. Once cleaned out, you may not have a bowel movement for a couple of days b/c nothing's there to pass. Also, not uncommon with Mag Citrate to have the squirts for a couple of days. You have the urge to go and it's just a small squirt. Very inconvenient. But it works.

Lily and Flavi let us know how things work Good Luck!

• aoibheann
    aoibheann Member Posts: 252
    Options

I try to avoid constipation by drinking a glass of warm water first thing in the morning, sometimes followed by a kiwi fruit. I try to eat at least 5 prunes daily, drink one strong coffee and lots of water. I'm addicted to bad sugary things like jelly beans but I think they help me 'go'. WARNING - too much info follows ...I have to say that when I 'go' sometimes I nearly give birth and it hurts! Piles bleed and embarrassing major blockage of toilet can occur.

When I'm constipated I try to drink lots of water and start off on laxatives such as senacot followed by ducalax and then increasing amounts of movicol. Movicol usually eventually moves the mountain but it can be painful and unpleasant. Oh and I go for as many walks as I am able no matter how short.

Hope you are able to 'go' soon. It's miserable to feel so bloated and bunged up

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Hi, MT, yup Fleets is a great product. I was typing while you were posting. I can add that some docs use hydrocortisone suppositories -think steroid like prednisone. If you have one of those showers where you can change the flow. Jump in the shower after a bowel movement and rinse with the shower on the single stream setting. warm water. Very soothing.

• JudiH
    Options

Sas, I just want to tell you that I think you are very knowledgeable, warm and wished that you were my nurse. You are fab! I'm on to the Metamucil Fibre Bars .... working like a charm!

• Lily55
    Options

thank you, I dont know what a fleets enema is but i bought an enema kit and used that, it barely touched what i can feel is there.......but has done something so i feel less nauseous.......am taking something to soften stools but still feel very clogged. Worried it may be something more sinister now........really do not want to go to Dr again........., what do u all think? More likely anastrozol yes?

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, sorry, But I gave you the absolute best answer in detail that I could. Except I will clarify " You are at risk for serious problems.". You are at risk for rupturing your colon. Please, see you doc and get his professional advice.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Judi that was a day brightner, Thank you

• keepsake
    keepsake Member Posts: 25
    Options

flaviarose - Try Balneol cleansing lotion onKleenex in place of TP - very soothing for irritated tissue there. Available in individual, single-use, portable packets.

keepsake

• Lily55
    Options

Keepsake thank you so much for your private message, much appreciated.......

SAS - I feel told off!  But you are so well read you are most likely correct.....

• keepsake
    Options

Lily55 - You're very welcome. Sas-Schatzi just gave you excellent advice. Please contact your doctor now.

keepsake

• minustwo
    Options

Lilly - I don't mean to pile on top, but I'll second SAS about calling the doctor. This may be gross, but I had to watch a doc literally insert hand & pull out impacted stool from my Mother. Really not pleasant, but necessary since she was bedridden. I was horrified by his admonition about what could happen if we didn't keep stuff flowing. Does your doc have a PA that you can talk to over the phone? Or maybe an electronic communication plan like 'my chart' so you could email a question?

We'll be worrying about you. Please do let us know how you're doing.

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249
    Options

Thank you keepsake, I'll get some!

• Lily55
    Options

Hiya - nothing so high tech,  no phone numbers to my Doctor´s surgery either, and no appointment until next week.  The only way I will get to see a Doctor before next week is if I go to the Emergency Department.  I can feel things moving now so hopeful tomorrow will bring results after taking stool softener tonight, if not then I will go to A&E.

I feel toxic..........thank you all for caring.....

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, please, direct opposite of being told off. I'm very concerned for you. I'm much worried that this will get out of hand versus out of butt(pun)

We are prone to punning around here. The subject lends great material for the double entendre, but perhaps not appropriate now.

I just saw your post as I'm writing. The problem with the rectal plug(impaction) is things might be trying to force down from the above the plug. One of the signals for this is diarrhea with still feeling plugged. That means the plug is there. This creates a great deal of pressure on the colon wall. Read the description about colon leaking and rupture in the first page. Oh Lily, I always hate saying worst case scenario. Intestinal contents in the sterile abdomen can cause death from infection. A rupture can lead to necessity of a reversible colostomy or an irreversible colostomy.

Toxic feeling isn't good, but not a conclusive symptom. If you feel a sudden tearing that's real trouble. Also, a fever is a very bad sign with your scenario.

• Smurfette26
    Smurfette26 Member Posts: 269
    Options

Oh Lily55 I feel your pain. 2 weeks on Arimidex and I have been suffering too. Thankfully not nearly as badly as you. I have just been to the chemist and he recommended suppositories. The wait is on. Hoping we get some relief soon.

• sas-schatzi
    Options

Lily, Smufrette is right-------Dulcolax suppositories are not bad , not as good as fleets enemas, but better than nothing, But again I have to say seek your Docs counseling. Can't believe that they told you a week with your condition.

My doc is in a practice that also takes walkins. They have one office open 7 days a week and the other office open six days a week. I specifically changed to this practice because of 7 day availability of appointments or walkins.

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

hemroids....ok, don't laugh to much after reading this. My hubby's internist, told him to sit in a sits bath ( spelling?). Of....are you ready.....coke a cola. He said it works wonders!!! Go figure

Ever heard of that sas???

• keepsake
    Options

I keep checking back here to see how Lily is doing. We care about you. Lily. Thanks, Sas, for the comprehensive info that's helpful for us all.

keepsake

• windward
    windward Member Posts: 57
    Options

Hi All,

I am a "visitor" from CMF message board, and wanted to tell you about what I call a " magic potion" to deal with, and prevent or minimize constipation caused by chemo, meds, IBS.

I came to Chemo with long history of IBS cycles of constipation leading to diarhea, and bleeding hemmorhoids. A friend was adivised to use this by a nurse when she was hospitalized. The great thing about it is you can adjust how much you use depending on the state of your bowels.

Ingredients:

Benefiber

Natural Vitality CALM Magnesium powder ( raspberry lemon is good)

Use anywhere from a teaspoon to Tablespoon of each. Mix with boiling water. Pour little water in first as it fizzes,stir, pour in rest of water, and sip like tea. BMs are not predictable, maybe once a day/night, or more frequent. I have never had to use more than 1 tsp.of each. Day after infusion I have two servings of this " tea", and either that night or next day bowels are moving. I no longer live in fear of becoming seriously constipated. I think I can remove IBS from my medical profile!!

Hope this information helps someone else out there. It has been a miracle forme

Best to all my BC.org sisters,

Windward

• Lily55
    Options

OH that is kind of you......I am ok, I am taking a lot of stool softener and can feel things on the move so cannot be impacted........before it was just totally stationary........I have realised I really am still freaked out by hospitals for some things as prospect of going about this just fills me with horror.......I think the enema released more than I realised and have done some girnormous farts!. So a lot of the pressure was air I think.   Before I felt full to my throat and did not eat anything or even feel hungry................now I have eaten a little and do feel hungry..... and feel less clogged......I am monitoring closely but think the crisis is over.  Still feel a little worried it may be something more sinister as this is so unlike me ............thank you for caring and I hope I will be getting back to normal soon....giving up on Anastrozole though........breathing and heart rate affected already after jsut 6 weeks and I need to exercise..........anti cáncer and for sanity......

PS Poops are on the move..........no need to go to hospital YEAAY...........

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    Options

In crisis I use the senakot that also has a stool softener in it (like Colace). Prunes and prune juice too. If really bad I have in the past used Dulcolax suppositories.

Bur for prevention and maintenance, magnesium every day (600-900mg) works really well.  I do have a few prunes too, but not always.

I have not heard that aromatase inhibitors cause this. I have had a lot of joint pain with them but again rediscovered exercise's beneficial effects.  Are you sure about giving anastrazole up? Maybe take magnesium every day before giving up the anastrazole-?

• Lily55
    Options

I have been taking magnesium every day.....for over a year, and I used senna based laxatives......when  googled it seems a common side effect of anastrozole......I did not have this on Aromasin......after a few weeks I may go back to that and wait til side effects get too bad, i was ok for first 6 months last time.....have been on all 3 now.......plus I have orderedsome more extra strong curcumin as that keeps you going too....still worried to be honest as poop is not normal size at all..........got a real niggle it could be colon cáncer..........but trying not to go there.....................

• minustwo
    Options

Oh Lilly, I surely hope not.

• keepsake
    Options

Thanks for checking in, Lily. Happy to hear you're doing a little better, but you're still worried. I understand you dislike hospitals. Just wondering, if you ever need immediate medical help, does your hospital have a walk-in clinic that you would find more comfortable using than the ER? Or is there a free-standing walk-in clinic nearby? We all need to have some resource we can access anytime we have medical needs requiring immediate attention and need reassurance that our healthcare needs will be met. Hope you will feel much better soon

• JudiH
    Options

Morning all. Sas, just checking in to tell you that I love the Metamucil fibre bars. Went last night and once again this morning. It actually woke me up and it was moving. Easy to eat and taste great (that's the bars girls)!