Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Itchy left nipple

Options
124»

Comments

• wilson33
    wilson33 Member Posts: 50
    edited May 2012
    Options

Fergy that sounds so neat how one machine can detect that. I will of course share my findingd with you all but my ultra sound said I was in the clear.

Good news or bad news?! Yesterday hit 25 degrees here in the UK to me and the fellow UK'ers it is hot, I stayed in all day apart from a couple of drives I needed to do, hubby got home, the kids got picked up and we went on our way.  1 hour and 20 mins in the car and finally arrived, she took some images but they were all RED becauase this muppet (me) didn't think to cover my chest and I got caught with the sun on the way there, I waited an hour to cool down on my own, the images were sent to america and were accepted but didn't know this until half way home and was crying my eyes out I feel like it is one step forward and two steps back.  I won't be able to know much because I am having another one in 90 days to compare.  I felt such an idiot. Although I would recommend one of these thermographs to everyone, was not invasive or uncomfortable and for me to be topless for over an hour I nearly charged her! lol. For those of you who can please it is so simple, it picks up fibro, dcis all sorts.  Will post data when I have it :)  Have a great day :)

• wilson33
    edited May 2012
    Options

Husband and I are going to see the GP tomorrow, we need answers and appointments made, something isn't right and I need support as I can't take you guys with me, please keep me in your thoughts and prayers because I feel like I have given up before I get there and that is not a good place to be :/ I am struggling right now :(

• Fergy
    Fergy Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2012
    Options

Wilson33,

They are not going to give you results from this thermography until they do a comparison in 90 days?  That doesn't sound right.  They should give you this one and then compare and give you another report in 90 days.  hmmm!

Anyway, I went to my new PCP and he felt the lump in my right breast too.  He said it feels like a cyst to him but he ordered a Digital Diagnostic mammogram anyway just to be sure.  He found another lump in my left breast that he said felt the same so he believes they are cysts.  I didn't think menopausal women get cyst in their breast but apparently we do.  Embarassed

I mentioned the thermography to him and he said that he doesn't believe in using them as a diagnostic tool because the results are not consistent enough.  I am not surprised at that response I must admit.  He did not order the ultrasound, said let's see what the mammogram says first.  URGH!  If the mammogram comes back OK, I am going to insist on an ultra sound anyway.  It really irritates me that we have to fight for our health!

The goofy lump has not grown in 2 months but when I checked in the shower this morning it seemed bigger.  URGH!

Good Luck and let me know what your thermography report says.  I am interested in real life experiences with this.  My report is just riddled with disclaimers which makes me suspicious.

• Sommer43
    Sommer43 Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012
    Options

Wilson

What is wrong?  I messaged you back, what is happening with these results?  You've had one set of results right?  Am I reading this correctly? You have to return in 90 days?  For another round of films? 

• wilson33
    edited May 2012
    Options

Hi Fergy and Sommer, yes i go back in 90 days round about August time but on my sheet it showed possible fibrocystic and needed a follow up with the GP, so I did what it said, I also went to the doctors to get repeat meds as I am going out of the area for a week and didn't have enough to last me. What I had in mind was seeing her showing her the images and maybe just maybe possibly think I need referring back to the breast clinic, this is how it went.

The thermography test was a waste of my money and time she looked at them and said it means nothing to her. Explained that there was something new on the right that seems to be getting bigger since I have noticed it and shows through my t-shirt bra's.

She told me straight up "I am not sending you for any more referals, no more.  There is nothing wrong with your breast apart from pain due to stress.  I can send you to a stress management councel but apart from that nothing"

My little one was with me and was wanting to go on the bed his dad said no, dad said no again, then I piped up no and if you continue the doctor will tell you off.

Then the doctor told me my children cause mayhem, they are constantly being told off by reception (which they are not) they are unruley and I have no control over them and that is what my problem is.  I was like wth!!!!!!!!!! Surprised

I am now at the point the pain is dragging me down, I am stressed because no one can sort this out, if I had no pain I wouldn't be stressed and yes I know it is a visious cycle but come on, am I being stupid? Is it me? Is it something I have done? Is it something I haven't done? What more can I do? What can I take? This is all my fault and I have gone beyond wanting to upset my GP now and thinking about complaining but don't know if my head is right, I know what my gut is saying and that is there is nothing serious going on but something. I shall wait for the second thermography test but in the mean time I am filling in forms for another practice.  Am I doing the right thing?  I am so confused and don't know how I am holding everything together Frown

• Sommer43
    edited May 2012
    Options

Oh Wilson

What a complete mess.  So you're not feeling settled, after the thermogram, really, are you? 

I am finding that your doctor is being somewhat dismissive of what is going on. 

You have been referred once, to a breast clinic yes? 

I think you need to take a deep breath and document all you are going through, right from the word go.  Because you have chosen a private scan, then the NHS will dismiss this.  Document everything from the first appointment when you went to the GP'S with your symptoms.  I have had breast pain for years, but all cyclical.  WHat you need, is a pattern, a paper trail, so that you can set out, if you need to a written synopsis of events.  Try PALS, they will look at your case, on your behalf, not the NHS' and fight your corner. 

That said, I do think you have covered most avenues, and you are going through fibrocystic changes, that may well be causing some busyness in there, that could well be causing the pain. 

Take a deep breath and calm down and get relaxed, if anything was going to be picked up, it would have been by now.  Give it all a few months to settle down.  Then take it from there.  I know it is hard to live with, but you can do it! 

• wilson33
    edited June 2012
    Options

In the process of changing doctors surgeries :) am on hols :) I have a couple of questions to do with fibrocystic breasts.  Does this interferre with your menstrual cycle? I have been a week late the past 2 months and bled for 9 days, now I have started a week early, can anyone help as to what is going on? would I need to have bloods tested again with new gp practice? I am just tired and fed up of feeling all these things if anyone can help I would apreciate it - thank you

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

Wilson

I have had fibrocystic breasts for over ten years, and my cycle has been every 28 days give or take a day or two, up until the last year!  This time, I have had only two weeks grace, between flooding.  I would ask for another blood test, (you only need to book with your nurse at the practice) to check your FSH levels, that will determine whether you are in the peri menopausal period, which can happen.  You may well be entering the peri-menopausal state, which of course at your age, you will be surprised at.  Fibrocystic symptoms are closely related to your menstral cycle and can have an affect on your cycle, given that the condition is related to oestrogen, progestrone and prolactin and symptoms can make your breasts tender and itchy.  This could explain all your pain and the itchiness. 

If you're changing GP's then you will undertake all new tests, bloods, urine etc.  Sounds like fibrocystic boobs to me, all the same symptoms I have had since my early 30's.  The symptoms will be at their highest right before your period and should subside once the period arrives, what usually happens with me.  I have had painful breasts for years with it, not to mention painful periods, and lately flooding, when I least expect it, I am currently taking mefanic acid tablets for it, as a blood test has confirmed that my FSH levels are high, which means that my child bearing days are almost over.  I have a decade on you, and have had this condition for over a decade, I only just realised that I have had this, since my recent experiences, with the clinic and the research, but I lived with the pain and now I can safely place the pain I have had on the run up to my period over the last ten years, as fibrocystic.  It sort of helps to give it a name. 

To ease symptoms, as hard as it is, I have found that walking, swimming has always helped, tiredness because hormones are acting up, I do fight, but I have sometimes gone to bed early with a heat pad and slept it off.  I have excrutiating pain with periods, and I have also been sterilized at the age of 30. 

Do some reading on Fibrocystic breasts, it is not a disease, as once thought, it is a condition that requires a lot of self help and could explain all your recent problems.

Have a nice holiday, where are you?  Just booked ours this morning.  We are naffing off South, to a cottage, with my dog, at the end of this month. 

• wilson33
    edited June 2012
    Options

Summer, I really believe I have fibrocystic breasts, I think because my hormones may be all over the place it is difficult to say it is cycilic.  I shall be giving these questions etc I have with my new GP and get an appointment with the nurse, but where I am you need a doctors referal for the nurse to take bloods to know what they are looking for.

I am up North - Angel of the North to be exact :) mother and father in laws, peaceful, and so relaxing, until you have a day like I had which isn't much compared to others but when you have a day when lots of little things go wrong I had a mini breakdown and cried and was so in shock of my breakdown on the A1 with the kids :( 

All behind me now, shall wait to see GP, nurse nad second thermography test :) thanks for helping me out, if you get chance to help me out some more if you could please help me with the best websites to look at as I have just googled and only looked at wikipedia.  Thanks.

South is good I love paignton devon, gorgeous there :)

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh gosh, I know exactly where you are! My best friend lives up there, was up there in March. I will find some reading for you!  You're at the right age for fibrocystic breasts, pain, itching.  Monitor your cycles, write in your diary, when your next cycle is due, then document the pain and the other symptoms, which should be on the run up to your period, those symptoms will alleviate once your period arrives.  Reducing caffeine, sugar and salt in your diet will help with the symptoms. I will find some reading for you, I know Beesie found a great link that I picked up in another thread and I will send it over for you.  Give my love to the North East.  Stay strong, and calm, you can handle this, many women have these symptoms.  Getting upset will make it all worse.  Mind over matter my girl, that saying doesn't come from nowhere. 

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

http://www.medicinenet.com/fibrocystic_breast_condition/article.htm

There you go!  That's excellent reading for you! 

• wilson33
    edited June 2012
    Options

This holiday was just what I needed, I sat at seaham beach today with the tide in sitting on a rock watching the waves for nearly 2 hours, and in those 2 hours everything was safe, at ease, peaceful, my mind was aghast at the beauty and blankness, the sound, the smell it was perfect :)

I think with the thermography testing, showing signs of fibrocystic changes, blood tests etc, changing gp's I am feeling confident along the fibrocystic breasts.  I have a diary and have for the last 3 months of my menstrual cycle but pain, has been a bit all over the place because my menstrual cycle has been. Shall get bloods done at new gp's thermography test should confirm all and hopefully a gp who will not think me neurotic and all I want is for the pain to go, I can live with lumps and bumps but the pain jeesh it is unbareable.

Thanks for the read, I shall read it when I get home I am going to enjoy my last 2 days of holiday, I love it up here and if I won the lottery I would buy a big house and do respite care and still childmind but more with children with special needs.  I feel at home here and so relaxed :)

I have reduced so much I think my body is in shock haha, also doing weight watchers, I do think dust has a lot of salt in it lol. I am in control and on top of everything (at the moment) thank you all for being my rock and help and guidance I really don't know what I would do without you all :)

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh good to hear Wilson, I was beginning to worry about your mind!  I know what the pain is like, have had a bloody decade of the stuff, and I have come to dread the feeling every month.  When we are told, it is part of being a woman, then that is true, for women with fibrocystic boobs, we have to deal with it and do what we can to alleviate the pain. I have almost begged to my husband that I wish I could have something to take it away. Truly, I am with you on that. But, you will get through it, just keep an eye on the pain, monitor and enjoy the times of relief, when you are pain free.

I had never heard of fibro cystic breasts before my experiences with the clinic and this forum, so we have learned something and that can only a good thing.  The link is very informative, helps a lot and once you have a name for something, it does make it easier to accept.  We are not told here in the UK, that we have this and we are told to go away and it is nothing, when it is very much something that we have to live with.

I am back at clinic on Friday and I am hoping that I can get somewhere with this latest mass, that is causing me some worry.  I have been guaranteed an all over ultra sound, which took some procuring after going to PALS, who have been brilliant, given my history up at clinic and the loose ends not being tied up, hopefully they will be now be tied up on Friday, with the ultra sound and I can then move forward and have my concerns addressed as they should be and I can then not see another clinic till I am handed over to national screening at 47.  This is what I am hoping for.  At worst, I will be on six monthly follow up, I am sure I am not on a cancerous route.  But I will be certainly advocating that women are more aware of their breasts and that changes have to be reported.  We don't have that enough in the UK, people are not willing to stand up and ask to be seen when something is not right.  One sentence can change a woman's life.  I have no fibro pain at the moment, only the sharp stabbing pain and the feeling under my arm that is there, all the time, not on the run up to my menstruation and that's what I want investigating.  Now I am, I can relax and deal with whatever the outcome is. 

Enjoy your last few days, in peace and come home relaxed and ready to deal with your boobs, pain and all.

Hugs to you. Wilson. 

• wilson33
    edited June 2012
    Options

I being of sound mind and actions today and very little pain, but exhaustion has got the better of me and feel so drained.  I had my TSH levels come back elivated but my thyroid level was normal but my pituitry gland was working overtime to make sure my thyroid levels were working.  I am in the process of changing GP's so they might do a full over MOT/service on my blood work. Can having your thyroid levels out of sink cause fibrocyctic breasts? Is it mainly to do with fluctuation of hormones? Or am I just feeling greedy and have both? Vitamin D levels too make you feel doppy tired. If I had one quarter of my kids energy I would be up 24 hours for 7 days and my home would be tidy! I am having achy bones in my left shoulder and hips but nothing some pain meds can't relieve. I hope you all had a good weekend :)

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Wilson

From what I know of fibro cystic breasts, it is down to hormones, thyroid I am not so up on, as never had a problem that I am aware of. 

Your exhaustion could possibly because you are simply exhausted. 

Got to dash now, work to do, but do as much as you can for yourself, drink plenty of water, that always helps me.  I have a crashing headache this morning, as I have not had a coffee, caffeine withdrawal is a killer, but am trying to limit myself... 

Later you. 

• wilson33
    edited June 2012
    Options

OK - been to the new GP as it was a quick appointment I only got to talk to him about one thing, so discussed my thyroid levels. I have an appointment on the 23rd or something for my breast issues. He listened to me, he asked me what I wanted to do and I broke down and cried. I explained I didn't want to leave my previous doctor who I have had for 10 years and briefly explained why.

I also explained that my vitamin D level was down and he asked me how much I was taking and how long I said 1000 iu.  His eyes about popped out of his head and I paniced and thought I had overdosed, he told me with the defficency I have I should be on 10,000 iu, then my eyes about popped out of my head!!! Repeat bloods in July and vitamin D ordered from the net, and I am quite comfortable that I have fibrocycstic breasts and nothing serious, thermography test in August should comfirm my reasoning, or the doctor when I go see him.

I am in a happier place but still so blooming tired.  Thanks for putting up with me and helping and supporting me.  (((hugs)))

• Sommer43
    edited June 2012
    Options

Well that's good then, isn't it?  A fresh face and thoughts for you on all that is going on! 

I too am tired, had a long interview today, I was the interviewee and it was a young man, who stated that his weaknesses were chocolate and tanned women.  I nearly fell off my chair!

Be interesting to see what your new doctor thinks about your boobies! 

HUGS. 

Caffeine withdrawal is shit, I fell off the wagon today, could bear it no longer! 

• bron
    bron Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2012
    Options

I have been to my GP this week with the same symptoms and told it was nothing - which is why I have found this page.  It concerned me after reading all your posts that so many of you that have been diagnosed had the same itching prior.  I'm going to get a second opinion.....thanks

• Stix
    Stix Member Posts: 610
    edited March 2013
    Options

Request a mammogram

• Gingerbits
    Gingerbits Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

how weird ive had an itchy left nipple for 4 weeks now.... i have implants that are 8 yrars old and for the last 5 weeks ive been on ranitidine a medication for acid reflux.... do you really think its connected as this itchings driving me mad. Ive made an appointment with my doctor on Saturday because ive tried anti itch creams including cream for thrush and nothings working. I even thought it wss my washing detergent but ive eliminated everything hence why im deeing the doc. Theres no redness or swelling my boobs look normal. But reading this post there could be a connection to the acid reflux as its too coincidental on the timing. Ill find out saturday and im hoping it is the medication.