Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options

Comments

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hang in there proudtospin!  they dont know anything till they get the report back....

• camillegal
    camillegal Member Posts: 15,711
    edited June 2012
    Options

Kayb thanks again--get ready cuz they'll be more quesrions coming Hahaha

• bak94
    bak94 Member Posts: 652
    edited June 2012
    Options

Oh I got the goatee! Thank goodness I work in a salon and got it removed immediately and can continue to have it removed. It was 3 crazy long blonde hairs that seemed to come out of no where! Very awful!!! But I was glad they were blonde, I have dark hair! I wonder how many people saw them before I did....

Mybee333-thanks for the info. Good to know hotflashes can happen just by the change of hormones. I have been feeling achy on and off since I quit taking aromasin, I will probably start up again after I see my doc on Monday. I really don't know what to do. I will wait and see what he says,

• Shayne
    edited June 2012
    Options

Question - so what happens after 5 years?  You go off, but what protects you after that?  Why 5 years?  

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2012
    Options

Good Morning,

I came to this forum to see what is being reported for side effects on Arimidex.  I have been on it for 2 months now and have mild pain mostly in my wrists.  Some times my knees hurt but definitely tolerable so far.  My question is does anyone experience breast pain, tenderness with this.  I went last week for my first checkup to see how I am handling the Arimidex and the nurse practioner, upon breast exam, said my right breast (the good one) feels a "little lumpy" and it has been tender.  She didn't feel anything of concern but asked me if I drank a lot of coffee.  Two cups a day is all but maybe that has some effect.  I have been told I have lumpy breasts before (fibrocystic).  Now, with my 6 month followup mammo still 3 weeks away, I am very anxious.  She told me to relax but how does one do that after she says "lumpy breast" after a year of bc treatment.  She told me the Arimidex was protecting my good breast as well.  The phamlet I got with my med says breast pain, swelling and tenderness can be a side effect.  I can handle the arthritic issues so far but worry about this. I find whenever my anxiety level starts to rise, I come to this place.  I hate that we all have to be here but am so grateful for the site.   Allagashmaggie

• Shayne
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hey allagashmaggie!  I was told to give up coffee, as it makes the breast fibrocystic and harder to read.  It was hard, but I was only drinking a cup/day.  If the tenderness is listed as a SE, than I would try to breathe a little easier with that info.  

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Actually when I hear it's a side effect I totally relax---but I have no breasts to be concerned about either.even without breast this aromasin has not been kind.

• Shayne
    edited June 2012
    Options

What I meant was......what happens in our bodies?  Do the AIs continue to block after you stop taking them?  Or do our cells stop responding to estrogen to make cancer?   Or after 5 years, our bodies dont produce estrogen anymore?  Not understanding this biologically.....

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

Shayne I have heard of women on it long??? I of course never ask--but I figure it has to do with type, stage etc. ??? But I really admire u guys u don't let it stop u from doing so much---I do--there's tomes I'm so tired and hurtin I hardly move, I know excercise, but after I do it for 10 minutes my back is so bad I just stop. then I debate pain killers or not LOL I feel like a slug  and all of u continue to just do things--u'r all unbelievable to me.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited June 2012
    Options

Shayne: I don't think anyone knows the answers (yet) The AIs haven't been around that long yet, probably less than 10 years.

I still have some annoying side effects after stopping Aromasin in Feb. Does that mean the Aromasin is still working or does it mean my bones and muscles have suffered "permanent" damage? 

Scary----

• dogsandjogs
    edited June 2012
    Options

I just went on several; web sites to check out long term negative effects of aromase inhibitors. Each one says they need more time to study -- and one site is focusing on  heart, cognitive and memory problems caused by the AIs. 

PS  AIs first appeared on the scene in the 1990s.  You would think they would have some follow-up by now from the women who took them at that time.   

• Shayne
    edited June 2012
    Options

Frustrating!  Dogsandjogs - how long were you on them??

• dogsandjogs
    edited June 2012
    Options

About 6 months Shayne. I was fine for the first two months; only had one bad hot flash daily, but then I had severe bone and muscle pain, depression, change in vision, increase of atrial fibrillation, etc. etc. I am hyper-sensitive to drugs anyway.  

I could barely walk some days. It really scared me as I already have very bad osteoporosis - have  had fractures in spine, hip, wrist. 

• Shayne
    edited June 2012
    Options

thanks for sharing.  Keeping my fingers crossed.....as I am hyper sensitive to drugs as well..... :(

• Allagashmaggie
    Allagashmaggie Member Posts: 66
    edited June 2012
    Options

Mybee, I see that you are basically in the same category I am.  Stage 1, Grade 3, mine was 98% ER positive and HER-2 negative.  It was about 3% PR positive.  Lymph nodes clear.   Did you do chemo?  Based on my grade (3) and my onco-type test score (24) I did chemo, radiation and now Arimidex. 

• mybee333
    mybee333 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2012
    Options

I didn't do chemo.  I had a MX. My oncotype was 16, which is why chemo. was not recommended.

• camillegal
    edited June 2012
    Options

OMG this sounds like a Dr. site--u could out do  the researcher and oncs. anytime.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Requested the generic aromasin by greenstone from my mail order pharmacy Gave them plenty of time to get drug before my refill was due. They said no problem. Got my drugs today and it was the same as before from Roxane. I called fully expecting to get a run around. But, they apologized and said they would correct it, send the Greenstone and a mailer to return the Roxane brand. What pleasant surprise for a change.Smile I am trying to see if there is any difference to the different generics. Will post if I find any.
  • Shayne
    edited July 2012
    Options

Anyone experience hair loss/thinning with Aromasin?  

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited July 2012
    Options

Shayne, I have not experienced that. Been on the Exemestane (genereic Aromasin) for 6 months.

• bgail84
    bgail84 Member Posts: 38
    edited July 2012
    Options

Shayne, I have been on Exemestane since February and yes my hair is getting thinner!! Seems to be getting worse. Figure by next year I will have no hair! Other major side effect for me is joint pain. SO BAD! Especially knees, shoulders and fingers.

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Yes! Hair is thinning on the sides, crown of head, underneath my bangs; pretty much everywhere. My hair is very fine and was thin to begin with. Every time I comb it, there are lots of long strands coming out.  The length it to just below my shoulders, but I can't wear it down because my ears poke out. So I pull the sides back and that doesn't help either as my scalp shows through.   Disheartening---

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yep, every time I brush or comb I get a large handful. Like bgail84 I should be bale by next year at this rate.Wink
  • Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012
    Options

My hair is thinning as well on Aromasin generic, but my hair is so thick I don't mind unless it gets worse. Overall I felt better on it than Arimidex and was happy I tolerated this one. Then after a few months I got carpel tunnel in both hands and wrists. So another break to narrow down it is from the Aromasin. I know that it is!

i don't want permanent nerve damage. Anyone have luck on Femera?

• ohio4me
    ohio4me Member Posts: 323
    edited July 2012
    Options

I had incredible joint pain (only knees) on Femara. It was the only SE aside from the usual hot flashes, etc.

I am doing very well on generic Aromasin for the last 3 months and hoping that continues. Nothing outside of the hot flashes I think. Hoping to continue good results on aromasin as femara was not my friend.

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Best of luck Ohio!  I hope the Aromasin works for you. I have a friend who is doing great on Femara, I had to quit Aromasin.  It is such an individual thing isn't it?  And everyone is given the same dosage regardless of age, health issues, etc. Doesn't make sense to me. 

• ohio4me
    edited July 2012
    Options

It is very individual which makes it more of a challenge to find just works for each of us. I read about some of the posts about Aromasin SE and feel pretty lucky right now. But I complained like crazy over the Femara and unrelieved knee pain.

Hoping for continued good results on Aromasin. Get lab results this week so will have some sort of update on effectiveness.

• hopefulhealing
    hopefulhealing Member Posts: 581
    edited July 2012
    Options

ohio4me what labs are they doing to check the effectiveness?

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

hopeforhealing; it is my understanding that the lab tests are done to make sure your kidneys are doing ok on the medication. There is another test that shows if there is an increase in embryonic cancer cells.  Not sure what the other tests show--

• ohio4me
    edited July 2012
    Options

I had a CEA drawn - it measures the amount of protein in the blood for some people with certain kinds of cancer like breast cancer. My levels when down after chemo so I suppose if they go up that may be cause for concern. Uncertain, haven't asked a lot of questions. Figured I would investigate more if the numbers began to rise.