Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Life on aromasin

Options

Comments

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited July 2012
    Options

Shayne, I take it in the morning. I never feel dizzy and drive wherever I want. No problem.

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited July 2012
    Options

thanks.......think it might be better for me to take in the morning......not sure taking with a glass of wine or a margarita is the way to go.......or maybe it is?  lol

• pupmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

No, I think we should avoid the wine/margarita/Aromasin thingy. : )

• Shayne
    edited July 2012
    Options

Not that I drink every night......but usually on a friday night Ill have a drink......

• pupmom
    edited July 2012
    Options

I know. I have wine with dinner a couple of nights a week. I've honestly never heard about an interaction with Aromasin though. Still, if it can make you dizzy, seems logical that having it with wine could heighten that reaction.

• bubbe
    bubbe Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2012
    Options

I found that taking Aromasin in the evening was better for me. If there were side effects like bone pain and brain fog, it occurred while I was sleeping. When I took it in the morning, I was barely able to work - unable to concentrate or retain new information, had difficulty choosing the right words when conversing, and pain getting out from under my desk. The memory since changing the time still stinks, but I blame that on getting older. The pain is minimal. I also get Prolia every six months and after my, so far, one and only injection, the bone pain has greatly dissipated. So I find evening dozing to be beneficial.

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited July 2012
    Options

I don't drink wine at t he same time I take a pill. Generally I have them at least an hour apart. I only have one glass two or three times a week.

• Lynn59
    Lynn59 Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    Options

I was on Femara the first time with BC and with the second time I'm on Aromasin and have more pain it seems. But the Onc said the Femara didn't work for me...seems like I had read that Femara wasn't the best for BC.

If I take the Aromasin between 2-3 it seems to help more. 

• vivirasselena
    vivirasselena Member Posts: 51
    edited July 2012
    Options

Has anyone suffered SEVERE wrist pain?  My hands are swollen (cannot make a full fist without pain)...but honestly, my wrists are almost non-usable. I cannot touch them.  I wear the wrist guards, but my gosh.  This is just unbearable.

My ankles are next in order.  Brutal.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I've been on Aromasin for a 6 months (brutal) quit for two weeks (no rellef) no on to Arimidex.  Femara was no better.

Darn these things.  I'm getting very discouraged. 

• mybee333
    mybee333 Member Posts: 672
    edited July 2012
    Options

I hae a friend who experienced horrific wrist pain, slept and worked with wrist supports during tx with Tamoxifen. She is now seeing a naturopath.

• rosie06ct
    rosie06ct Member Posts: 66
    edited July 2012
    Options

I actually had carpal tunnel surgery and trigger finger surgery back in january.. my job as a custodian overworks these areas and  the surgery was worth it no sleepless nights with wrist,hand and arm pain..

however after 11 months on femara my aches seem to be coming back but luckily so far my tumormarkers are down to 29.6  NED since Jan 12.... cautiously optimistic ....

• mybee333
    edited July 2012
    Options

Good news.  That is wonderful to hear!!  There is a reason for these medications, for sure.

• Shayne
    edited July 2012
    Options

How soon if ever do people usually start experiencing SEs?  

• fondak
    fondak Member Posts: 271
    edited July 2012
    Options

Insomnia began the first week with me and the pain came during the second.  Then they scheduled my hysterectomy/ooph and my gyn's nurse told me to stop it before the surgery.  I asked the dr if I could stop until my 2 week follow up to see how I actually felt from the surgery to not confuse the source of any pain. 

The week after my surgery I felt better than I had in a long time.  Then when I went back on (I take the generic) within 3 days the pain was back.  I am able to sleep 4 hours at a time now which helps tremendously but I still don't get a good night's rest.

• TKSit
    TKSit Member Posts: 33
    edited July 2012
    Options

Vivirasselena-I had to dc arimidex because of acute & severe wrist pain. Nsaids & narcs no help. After arthritis labs, xrays & scans came back normal, stoppped arimidex and pain decreased. Just stopped femera last week because pain was coming back. Wrists have not been the same since starting AI's. Still achey, decreased strength and range of motion. Seeing MO next week and I am sure he will try and talk me into aromasin, but I am just not sure. Hope your wrists get to feeling better! Cheers.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012
    Options

I also have wrist pain on Aromasin. I switched to it from Arimidex due to swelling hands wrist ankles and feet but never had the tingling pain numbness in my hands and arm like this. I was border line carpel tunnel syndrome after being tested by a neurologist. I'm upset because other than this tingling and wrist issues I tolerated it fine. Sounds like Femera isn't much better, and tamoxifen blood clot and stroke risk scare me since it was in my family. I don't want permanent nerve damage so I may go back on Arimidex which i felt awful on, tired and very weak.

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Survivor,

I am sorry that you are havin so much trouble on AI's, but please keep an open mind about Aromasin. I was on Arimidex for a year and a half with all kids of issues - I had 3 herniated disks in my neck that went nuclear, carpel tunnel in both wrists, which came and went, tendonitis in my thumb/wrist joint where I ended up with a steroid shot, knobby nuckles for the first time, sore feet, hips, knees - you name it, I had it. I was trying to hang in there, but finally decided that I had nothing to loose. I took a 3 week break and then tried aromasin, which I have been on now for 3 months. 

I feel so much better on aromasin. I rarely take an NSAIDs, my nobby nuckles are half the size they were on Arimidex. I am not saying that I feel like my old self, but I do feel so much better. I can now imagine making it to 5 years without every day being a struggle. 

I know that we are all different, but I hope that for you, the third one is the charm. Best Wishes, Beau 

• phxsunshine
    phxsunshine Member Posts: 156
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks for all of you taking the time to post, it makes me feel like I am in good company hearing from all of you.  Laughing  I began Greenstone brand Aromasin after a 2 week break after taking Femara for 4 months.  1st night I woke up with bad elbow and hand pain.  It went away during the day and hasn't returned.  2nd night, knee pain, that went away pretty much and pain in between my shoulder blades.  3rd night (last night) I awoke with pain in the middle of my back below my shoulder blades.  Each day it is easing up, so far, so good.  I rode my bike around this morning and my knees felt a little bad/weird, but I soldiered on and stretched like crazy when I finished and that felt better.  

I've been working with a Naturopathic Oncologist, who works with my surgeon, since the end of my radiation.  She's helped me get healthy and mitigates the S/E's of the prescription meds. She tells me that the joint pain from the AI's is your body dumping collagen on it's way to osteopenia or osteoporsis.  I have just begun taking Osteo-K Bone Support, which she told me is the natural alternative to Boniva, et. al, in place of my usual calcium/magnesium.  And I have also begun taking 2 - Zyflamend Nighttime capsules to see if that will help with the bone/joint aches, if anybody's interested. 

I can deal with some discomfort and I'm hoping that these S/E's don't escalate as I am at the end of my proverbial rope with the hormonal therapy. 

Shayne, we just drove by the Prescott exit last night on our way home from Payson, where my folks live.  They closed Hwy 87 and it was either drive thru Globe or Camp Verde to get home, we voted for Camp Verde. 

• Shayne
    edited July 2012
    Options

Just wondering if you got those 2 supplements online or if you found them at a vitamin store?  

• mybee333
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have been taking Caltrate, Vitamin D3, Magnesium, Hair, Skin and Nails (from Sundown Naturals) and a Vit B Complex for a long time; possibly a year.  I wonder if any of this has helped with joint pain, which I don't really have much of at this point. I do have some arthritis but feel it is most likely unrelated to the Aromasin. I am stiff in the morning but it goes away quickly;  I was used to a certain amount of achiness from having fibromyalgia.

• dogsandjogs
    dogsandjogs Member Posts: 677
    edited July 2012
    Options

phxsunshine: So the AIs get rid of collagen. That sounds serious.  I do not want to try another AI because I already have very severe osteoporosis.   This absolutely cinches it for me--

• mybee333
    edited July 2012
    Options

Maybe the sweats will just resolve themselves and pass.  That has been my experience.  They kind of come and go during periods of time for some reason.

Yeah - that collagen thing has an ominous sound to it.

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

I read somewhere that the aromase inhibitors target the fluids around our joints. That's where a lot of estrogen resides apparently.  So no wonder our bones hurt.  

Too bad it doesn't go to our belly fat where estrogen also hangs out. Less fat and no pains-- 

• fondak
    edited July 2012
    Options

dogsandjogs   Before I had my bone scan they told me if I had osteoporosis I think they told me I couldn't take aromasin but I'm not 100% on that.  I do know that is I was peri osteoporosis I was going to have to come every 6 months and get something through an IV for my bones.  She said it would be where I got the chemo but it wasn't chemo.  The nurse practioner has severe osteoporosis and she gets it every 6 months as well.

That 6 month treatment could have also been if I had osteoporosis but I'm not sure.  If you would like I can call and ask what it was they were going to give me.

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks!  I know there is something like that, but don't know the name or anything about it.

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Fondak:  The onc told me Aromasin would hurt my bones less than the other AIs. But I think they are all pretty much the same (from what I've read)

• rayofsun
    rayofsun Member Posts: 18
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi all have been reading but not posting much. Anyway my muscle pain is still there and varies but at times is not very tolerable. I talked to my onco 2 weeks ago and told to stop aromasin. The shoulder pain I had is gone but muscle pain in legs not. I was athletic and now it hurts to use stairs. I call my onco tommorrow for direction. I was also on lyrica which is starting to be weaned again. I am on vitamin supplements and glucosamine.

Ray

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Ray: I quit Aromasin in February and just recently my bone and muscle pains are getting better. I can now walk down steps normally (instead of sideways) and the shoulder and toe pain is gone. I no longer have the constant diarrhea and depression and my vision has stabilized.  So it looks like I might be almost back to normal.

• fondak
    edited July 2012
    Options

dogsandjogs:  Thanks so much for telling me what your oncologist said.  That's very helpful.  I was suppose to call back in 6 weeks if the pain wasn't much better and she said we would try something else.  I have read that over time the side effects can improve.  On that note, I thought I really didn't want to be switching around.

My hot flashes are seemingly better.  Not so with the pain.  Sleep is improving....though much improvement is still needed there.

I did not know you could experience diarrhea with it.  I have thought I had a stomach bug but it is getting to the point I'm thinking it's not a bug.

I'm having a dreaded.......and at the same time...will be glad to have behind me... biopsy tomorrow.  It's all there in the same place so I'll find out what the IV for bone loss is.

Thanks 

• dogsandjogs
    edited July 2012
    Options

Some people get constipation with Aromasin, others diarrhea.  The other SE I forgot to mention is stress incontinence.  I had that already and it got much, much worse.  That figures, since it is related to lack of estrogen.

Good luck tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be painful!