Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Kicking LEs butt!! Exercise & Self Care Log

Options

Comments

• hugz4u
    hugz4u Member Posts: 1,818
    edited August 2018
    Options

laural. Wow that’s great. I chugged it out at gym. Feeling slightly smuggush

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited August 2018
    Options

One hour of water aerobics so nothing to crow about. But ran errands in the 99 degree heat & 100% humidity so I lost a pound that way.

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

stepped out, stepped up,stamped out my walk. All done!

Varg you should be the endorser for the fitbit bracelet. You really do use it to it's full potential! Good idea wrapping it!

• minustwo
    edited August 2018
    Options

One hour of Silver Sneakers class. But 3 hours of running errands in 103 degrees. In & out of the car 8 times so I'm clenching my abs, and I'm marching along the aisles in the stores. I'm sure other shoppers think I'm nuts.

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

103! Wow now that’s endurance. I’m done my walk for the day

• minustwo
    edited August 2018
    Options

Funny that I'm MANY years past the age of getting things done before school starts (8/27 here) but I still feel that sense of accomplishment that I'm ready for the fall to start. Silly but an effective motivator. On the other hand, how can we have fall at 100 degrees?

• Laural
    Laural Member Posts: 212
    edited August 2018
    Options

A walk and some rebounding yesterday, and 2 hours of water aerobics today. First day of students back at school too, so ready for shower and bed now. Today we had cooler temps in the 70’s and it felt like fall...my favorite kind of weather

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

whew girls I don’t know how you do it. I slugged it out at the gym only one hour today and claim “I’m done all this Bizzbazz!!” This weekend off to the mountains and hoping I see absolutely NO bears on my trail! There scary!

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2018
    Options

hi ladies!

I have been doing my best to keep up with the 5/2 program this month! You all inspire me!

My swelling seems to be mostly in my upper arm and I saw it mentioned a little ways back about the Solidea products. Which products of theirs do you find the most helpful - the regular compression sleeve which is on the LE arm, across the back and half the other arm just to support the garment. -or- the micro massage type which is fully on both Arms with the across the back piece? The gauntlet only comes in the micro massage as far as I can tell ?

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

Tea. Welcome here. Solidea is too long in the arms for me but I’m sure someone will come on and guide you. Sue the owner is helpful if you call her company. I do have the micro massage gauntlet I wear when I’m at a formal evening and just don’t want to wear the ugly dreaded glove I wear daily. It seems to work with my custom made sleeve.

So glad you gave reported in on your 5/2 challenge. It encourages me to see so many trying. It doesn’t matter what you do just keep moving! Great for our lymph system and mental health! Peeled off my half hour walk although I was and still am tired today. Glad I got it off my plate. A rest may be what I need perhaps tomorrow I will use that as one of my days off. We’ll see!

• Laural
    edited August 2018
    Options

I use the Solidea one arm with the shoulder strap that anchors to the other arm at the 23/32 compression. Currently I have to order them directly from Italy online as the US market is not carrying them due to being labeled as Arm care and not compression garments, so the reimbursement code is a 1314 and not the 8424/8428 code needed by insurance companies. I use the micro Massage gauntlet. The sleeve and gauntlet wear better than most and for my particular swelling, they work the best. Unfortunately, insurance will not reimburse right now, but ordering direct from Italy has cost much less than buying them from companies in the US. I used the micro massage double arm sleeve but it did not give enough compression for me. Hoping that Solidea Italy will be able to come up new Package labeling so they can qualify for FDA approval as compression garments again.

• Teaberry11
    Teaberry11 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hugz and Laural — thank you so much for the info! .. OT already fitted and gave me Tribute Night sleeve and a flat weave sleeve as preventative . I was feeling shooting pain and I noticed swelling but the measurements are the same? So they basically sent me home to do MLD and wear sleeves as necessary .. ughh just feel like I am on my own here! Anyways I like the idea of the Solidea sleeve going up to shoulder and harnessed by my other arm! I am ordering directly from Italy - much cheaper even with the shipping charges!

Do you wear it every day?

Was a beautiful day today so I took a 4 mile walk and may go back out for another!

Happy I found this thread for encouragement and support in keeping my body moving!

• Laural
    edited August 2018
    Options

Teaberry, I was able to wean off of wearing the sleeve, using it just for traveling on plane or when arm was sore, but then had cellulitis recently, so am back to wearing it daily. I also use a LymphPress a few times a week when needed. I have a great PT who keeps tabs on my measurements when I have any questions about swelling.

I got a 30 minute walk in yesterday. Loving having my students back and catching up on all their summer adventures. Unfortunately many involve what level they got to in their video games. It is scary seeing what sedentary lives centered on video games is doing to kids developmentally. I have plenty of job security as an occupational therapist in the schools

• vargadoll
    vargadoll Member Posts: 1,942
    edited August 2018
    Options

Laurel- I didn't know you were an OT! I'm a COTA! I worked for the local school system until 2011. I resigned when my girl aged out. I keep my CEU'S up never know when I might need to go back to a real job. This week has been super busy with the grandkids. I took the 3 older ones school shopping, Delivered Meals on Wheels 2 days this week and made several trips to the vet. My big fat cat has pancreatitis! He's 13 and we are hopine it's just an infection that antibiotics will take care of and not the nasty "C" word. Despite all the running around I managed to get my exercise done. Yesterday was tough my girl decided she wanted to get up at 3 am and NEVER went back to sleep. I put her back to bed every 45 minutes until I finally gave up and stayed up. I was dragging by bedtime and didn't even do my Flexitouch pump. I use it every night. As far as wearing my sleeve...I were it just about all day everyday. Of course I'm moving a 106 pound girl around, lifting grandbabies (still have 2 little ones 1&3) and doing all the housework. Plus sneaking a little outside work when DH isn't around to give me the evil eye! I also skeep in a night jacket. It's the tribute that has the trunk and arm together with and compression jacket that goes on top. I have a separate glove that DH refers to as my ove'glove and wants one for my other hand because my hands are always cold. I wear that get up 6 nights a week. One night a week I reward myself and have (drum roll please) naked night! (TMI) it's the little things that make LE doable for me. I wear my ugly bras with the chip bag everyday. If I have a rare occasion were I get to dress up I have a Victoria Secret bra I pulled the wires out of and I will wear that for the event. My PT once told me I was the perfect patient. I'm a control freak and refuse to have LE control me! My thoughts are I'm ruling it with and the things I do.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2018
    Options

I'm still walking! The encouragement here has been really helpful. Are we all going for a September challenge too?

On the Solidea, since I have truncal swelling as well I found that back strap pushes fluid forward into my axilla--not good! But the fabric is lovely, and I do wish I could wear it. Sigh!

Varge, I love your six-nights-a-week and one naked night routine. You're so right--it's the little things we allow ourselves that make this all doable.

Teaberry, this is a chronic condition and you shouldn't have to feel like you're doing it alone. Is there another well trained LE therapist around you could try for a second opinion? Here's how to find one near you:

http://www.stepup-speakout.org/Finding_a_Qualified...

Onward!
    Binney

• vargadoll
    edited August 2018
    Options

Count me in for September! With the grandkids back in school I will get a better routine! My 12 y/o grandson stays with me during school so I'm up and out the door every morning by 7:30. My plan is to walk/run after I drop him off. My church has a great fitness center and gym. I can take my girl there with me.

• lovepugs77
    lovepugs77 Member Posts: 108
    edited August 2018
    Options

I need to start exercising. Count me in for September

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 659
    edited August 2018
    Options

Good morning everyone! I hope you are enjoying a relaxing weekend. Yes, count me in for September as well!

I bought a gently-used rebounder yesterday on Nextdoor and used it for 5 minutes before my regular workout. A coworker swears by rebounding (she does not have lymphedema), and it is her primary form of exercise. I view it as a nice adjunct and warm-up to my regular routine. Can't hurt, right?!?

Happy Sunday!

• flowergal
    flowergal Member Posts: 73
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi Hershey- What is a rebounder?

Also, I have question for those with breast LE. After tx, did your affected breast ever get back to pre cancer tx size? My therapist keeps telling me how fast i am progressing and i will be d/c from PT soon, but breast is still quite a big bigger than the other. I am told the fibrotic areas are much smaller now and that once the fluid is able to drain better, I will see a difference. I do my MLD and wear the swell spot and compression bra faithfully. I guess I am just impatient and a little OCD so I like detailed info and education.

This forum has been so good. I hope you all are doing OK. Have a good week everyone.

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 659
    edited August 2018
    Options

Hi flowergal! A rebounder is a smaller version of a trampoline. Here is an example. Mine does not have the spring cover.

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2018
    Options

HersheyKiss, a rebounder can actually be a help with LE for some. To use it as a way of boosting lymph flow, bounce GENTLY with your feet not leaving the mat, for about 5 minutes at a time. For many of us the gentle bounce seems to stimulate the lymph system. At any rate, definitely worth a try.

For extra safety, use the hand rail that comes with some rebounders and provides help with balancing.

Well-fitting, fairly sturdy shoes can help to keep you from stressing your ankles; as you bounce the mat tends to turn your ankles inward instead of keeping them straight up and down (hope that made sense!) Since I have arthritis in my ankles I find I can't use a rebounder, but I get the same effect by bouncing gently on my toes on the floor. I use a kitchen floor mat for extra padding.

Got my walking in this afternoon during a phone conversation with a daughter-in-law. Makes me feel extra smug to know that I'm doing something productive all the while carrying on a coherent conversation with someone who has no idea what I'm doing! I figure for all they know I'm sitting in a lounge chair stuffing my mouth with bon-bons while they chat, but instead I'm doing my Ninja Warrior warm-up moves!

Well, maybe not exactly Ninja Warrior, but....you get the idea!
    Binney

• 2FUN
    2FUN Member Posts: 789
    edited August 2018
    Options

hey you OT/COTAs- any recommendations for compression fingerless gloves? I saw an OT friend, and I think he is closing his office, but didn't want to say. I tried ordering some isotoner fingerless gloves, but they don't seem very compression ish to me

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

Ah....I just feel like I need a rest but yes I’ll do sept challenge. Will it be a 5/2? I think that’s my fav as I don’t feel like I have to be a Slave to exercise everyday.

Was suppose to hike and do water aerobics but sun was hiding and I just relaxed and dawdled with my sis on walks. I call that a stroll. But at least it was fresh air.

All rocking the challenge and only a few more days left. So proud of everyone trying to make better lives for themselves!

• minustwo
    edited August 2018
    Options

I'll do the september challenge too, although it will be a mystery what I'll do 3 days a week after the pool closes on 9/15.

2FUN - I have gauntlets to wear with my sleeves. Most of the sleeve manufactures make them and they are sized just like the sleeves. They come in different compression strengths. I like the Jobst Bella Light the best. I've also had Juzo and Mediven Harmony.

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

Weather has turned cooler and no smoke warning has lifted from fires. This means I have no excuse to shake off my fat and treat my body to health. Hee hee!

• vargadoll
    edited August 2018
    Options

Grandkids are back in school. I had a "yard work and pressure washing day" yesterday. I made so many trips up and down the hill. The pool area is coming together nicely to!

I delivered Meals on Wheels with my girl and the youngest grandbaby. We had so much fun. She's 18 months and is precious! I screen shot my exercise yesterday so I'll post that it's easier!

As far as the gauntlet or glove goes. PT wants me in a glove. I hate the gloves. I only wear it when I'm doing heavy stuff. (Delivering MOW, grocery shopping, pushing my girl in her wheelchair or traveling ) I found a gauntlet I love! My granddaughter out it on last week and I haven't seen it since! I was a little angry about it because it's brand new! I just got it and they are not cheap! Insurance paid for the gloves (and I've lost 2 of those!!) They are so hard to keep up with because I take them off to do so many things !Scared

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

Varg. Lol. I want your Fitbit. I think mine is lying.

So paranoid on losing glove. Sometimes I leave it in public washrooms countertop. I know religiously either tuck under armpit and hang on tight, put in pocket or purse when I need to.

I seem to lose them when I travel finding it months later in a luggage pocket that is one I never use. I thought I lost glove at campsite and was about to travel back 5 hours for it but I phoned and they didn't have it. Later found it at home thinking I had taken that older one on the trip. Yup losing it!

Walking with sister that has pep in her step tonight. She wants to get in shape for surgery and has six months to do it. Yes, a partner to beat the pavement when she’s available!

• vargadoll
    edited August 2018
    Options

I lost one glove bowling!! I know I laid it on my lap when I was in the car...forgot all about it got out of the car and never looked back. ...sigh it was never found...

• hugz4u
    edited August 2018
    Options

Varga. Lol. If we are going to lose it we should make it worth while. Like the girl that ran marathon and stopped at the pit toilet leaving her glove to fend for itself!

• Laural
    edited August 2018
    Options

I use the Solidea Active Wave gauntlet. It has held up better than other ones I have used, even against the ever present Velcro in my job.

So, after a full day at school, and then a meeting with my mentee, it is still 90 degrees. A walk today will have to happen only in my dreams. I did get in my 2 hours in the pool yesterday, and will be back for more of the same tomorrow. Sitting in front of the fan right now and still sweating. I am ready for fall