Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited July 2012
    Options

I am scheduled for nipples on July 26 and like all of yall, I am constantly rethinking what I want to do.  I am obsessed with the 3D tats by Vinnie.  I turn 50 this year and think it would add some fun to my life to get them done on my birthday.  Something SOOOOOO out of character for me but crazy enough to make this year alittle more than a horrible memory.  I see my PS on Tuesday to decided whether to add nips or not.  Regardless I what I decide, I still have to have fat grafting to even out my breasts.  I have a question for all of yall too.  My surgery was SS but left me with these two huge discs of skin from my stomach that are definitely not the same color.  Combined with the scar that extends up to my arm pits, I have frankieboobs.  When they take the skin to do the nips, do they reduce that huge disc?  I have looked at Vinnie's pics and some of the ones have a small nipple surrounded by the large different color skin.  Just trying to get my expectations realistic.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2012
    Options

grt42btexan I have the scars all the way under my arms but don't have the football frankenboobies. First of all the scars do fade over time. Some PS will even laser fade them for you. My are getting lighter. My nips were done with local skin which meant 2 more scars (one for each nip). They faded much faster than the other scars. Almost gone now.

BTW I got my nips last October but the final tatts in February this year… one my birthday. Also got another liver scan that day too. Did the liver scan the year before also on my birthday. 

• megs986
    megs986 Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    Options

Has anyone done the "in office" nipple procedure, think could be called flap? Skin is not taken from elsewhere. PS said he'd make a w-like incision and basically create a nipple. Then tattoos would be done for coloring and areola. Wondering if this is a good happy medium between another surgery or just tattoos?! Also, I'm wondering how long the nipple needs to heal before the tattoo can happen.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Megs this is what I had done but not in-office. I also had a revision to lefty and fat transfer so no way could it be done in the office. My nips were done last October and tats early February.
  • megs986
    megs986 Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012
    Options

Thanks lago, are you happy with the results?

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

Yes I am. They have flattened out a lot but still stick out just a bit and look great.

• lisagwa
    lisagwa Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lago- if you don't mind me asking and I hope I didn't ask this already, do you have any feeling in your nipples?

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    Options

I had bilateral nipple reconstruction as well as revision on my abdominal scar 3 days ago. I was very much on the fence about having the nips made, but after seeing them, I am so glad that I went through with it. My DIEP breasts did not need any FG or shaping as they are as close to perfect as can be - they look super in clothing and look very real in a full monty. The nips are larger and fuller than what I would like, but I cannot judge the end result from how they appear at 3 days post-op. My PS used existing tissue on each DIEP breast and some origami cut and twist. I feel no pain in that area as there are no nerves. The procedure was done in the OR under general anesthesia since I had to have the scar revision as well. 

Once the nips are healed, I am seriously considering a road trip to Maryland to have the tattooing done by Vinnie Myers. That way I'll get the best of both worlds - a slight projection of the nip and 3-D shading of the areolas.  

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

nipples have no feeling. The central area of my "breasts" don't either. I have implants

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have asked about nerve transplants to the nipple but alas nothing yet to offer us.  I am with you as I so want to see Vinnie for the finish job. 

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm happy to hear so many have good results with no regrets.  My nipple surgery is Aug. 20.  I'm also having revision and fat grafting so it will be under general, but at least it won't be as long as my prior surgeries and I get to go home that day!  I'm excited to get a nipple, I'm a UMX, but sort of wondering how I will get used to it.  I've always been self conscious of that "headlight" look.  So it will be different with one side always on.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have the one headlight look now, as my right breast lost its nipple and a bit more. I'm having a day surgery on Augst 10th to rearrange things and build a nipple. I do think I will feel less deformed. At least I hope so!

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

There are plenty of different nipple shields out there. Some are reusable/washable.

I have the Wacoal "No Peek Molded Foam Cups" that I used in the winter. Now that they have shrunk I find that only in thin shirts with a soft cup bra is it an issue.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited July 2012
    Options

I don't have my nipples yet but I work at Soma Intimates and we have nipples shields and they work really well. They ahve two kinds a soft one almost like a bandaid and a silicone one. Both are reusable for about 50 times.

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited July 2012
    Options

There are so many posts here for forgive me if this has been discussed.  Initially I was talking with my PS about exchange surgery and a second surgery for nips.  Now he is doing them in the same, maybe because he knows I'm anxious?  Also, I thought that most nip recons came from the breast tissue.  He is taking skin from my inner thighs, no lipo or fat, just skin. 

Also, I'm reading here about making them as long as possible.  However, I never had large nipples anyway so the concept of them flattening some is appealing to me, especially since I almost went with tats.

Any help on these thoughts is most appreciated. Smile

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012
    Options

I visited my BS a month ago and discussed having a nipple constructed for me. I am a UMX. In NZ they build the nipple using pig fat and a mold like a cigarette filter. Sorry that probably sounds absolutely disgusting..............have to say as this was the only option for me as I am using the public health system I have decided it is not for me, not because of the material being used, but the fact that the PS stated that often these nipples flatten out. My UMX scar is rapidly dissappearing, I have been using vitamin E oil and I think this has really helped. Having read this thread I think that this is the right decision for me. But it is a very personal decision. I am still on the fence re deciding whether to have a tatoo (3D or otherwise). But maybe with time the decision will become easier - lets hope.

Thanks for everyones honest and open input, very helpful.

• HGL4969
    HGL4969 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm still debating the nipples and appreciate all the insights shared.  I've never heard the term a "football frankenboobies" but it made me realize that is what I have - I'm single and as if I don't feel bad enough about my situation --- I never thought I'd feel worse after reading the posts here.  Any insights on who to handle then nipples in this type of situation? 

• CMartin
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hgl..don't be discouraged regarding the future. I believe our brutal honesty is just sharing but their are amazing stories of strength and encouragement here. My husband hasn't been deterred at all and is super supportive. You'll find that!

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

CMartin some PSs do it that way. I hear the advantage is they don't flatten out as much.

HGL4969 men like boobs. They like footballs too. Seriously when you are ready to get that close to a man you will find it easier than you thought to discuss and fill him in. It's not like you're going to let a stranger feel you up. By that point you should be friends and talked quite a bit.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012
    Options

"...men like boobs. They like footballs too".  Lago, you always make me smile. :)

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hils, I had nipple reconstruction 3 weeks ago in the public health system and it wasn't done the way you described. The PS used the skin that had been grafted from my stomach during my Diep reconstruction and sort of origamied it as someone else put it. Now it has started to shrink and soften I have to say it does look pretty real and I am quite impressed. I will still probably have the tattooing done to make the colours match the other side better.

HGL4969 I must admit there are days when I see myself in the mirror prior to a shower and can't get my head around how I look now. I would have my middle aged mum of 4 body back in a heartbeat if I could, but somehow I have to come to terms with this new version and feel pride in having survived everything it's been through!

• CMartin
    edited July 2012
    Options

Amen suzyblue.

• Hils
    Hils Member Posts: 152
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi Suzy thanks for your message - I think I should have clariffied that I had a UMX with TE recon hence I was not offered the option of skin grafting. I tend to be a last minute decision maker, I only decided to have TE recon just as I entered the operating room prior to that I was having no recon. Its just me - I believe in don't cut if you do not need to. Hence I think I have gone for a minimalistic recon. As many have said before there is no right or wrong. But I am definately thinking about a nipple tatoo.

Unfortunately like many I have good and bad days and I still mourn the loss of by old but very much loved boob and have not gained such a love for my new boob as yet. Hopefully time will allow me to develop this love

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Options

I know what you mean Hils, 'others' say how great my boobs look (under clothes) and I guess they are in a better position than they were (I had a lift and reduction on the non-cancer side) but to me they look weird and quite different from each other! They don't feel like mine which is a strange way to feel about your own body parts!

• CMartin
    edited July 2012
    Options

1800oncologist - Not so much regarding the nipple.  Any other helps?

• lor3
    lor3 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Options

I was recommended to this site throughout my whole ordeal, but never visited.Sorry to say because it is so helpful!  Last week went back to the PS to discuss reconstruction (I had BMX and DIEP in Dec.) and discovered that nipple reconstruction involved going under general again! After a 10 hour surgery I am freaked out to go under again. The doctors play down the surgery as being nothing. Anyway how does the doctor get the nipple size you want? I don't want to jut out and it seems they all come out too big. My doctor will be doing the tattoing the week after surgery which is scheduled for 8/6.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2012
    Options

My PS makes them a little bigger as they shrink. Unfortuantely, my right one has shrunk to next to nothing. I'm not having the tattoos until fall so am witholding my judgement until then. My surgery was about 1 1/2 hours but he did some pocket work too.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

My PS made them really big but the shrunk a lot. They are not too big, not too small, they are just right. My PS waits 3 months before he did my tatts. He drew circles a few times till I was happy with the size.

My surgery was 3 hours but I also had a revision to lefty and fat transfer. This was in a surgical center instead of the hospital. The anesthesiologist was a doll. I had no nausea as I did for my other surgeries.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm scheduled for my nipples 8/10. PS will do it in office under a local. Said it will only take an hour. I will get my tattoos 6 weeks after that. Anyone else do it like this??

• dja625
    dja625 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012
    Options

yes, I had it done this way and it is amazing how natural it looks. I had a bilateral and they took both nipples and reconstructed them. It makes you looks and like you have breasts again. Good luck to you.

dja625    IDC, Her2neu 3+++, Er- Pr-