Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Summer2recover
    Summer2recover Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012
    Options

I did the in office as well with tattoos to follow and they look very real.  I only wanted the slightest projection I could get and with the tattoos I had one appointment with an automatic second touch up session 6 weeks later for fine tuning the color of the aereolas.  It was well worth the extra appointments and expense and I don't feel like I'm missing something when I look in a mirror.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited July 2012
    Options

Its so good to hear all these happy results. I cant wait to get mine now.

• lor3
    lor3 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2012
    Options

I am nervous about the size of the nipples. What causes them to shrink? I will be out patient, but will go under for a couple of hours. Hope my anesthesiologist is as good as yours. I heard some people are sick for a couple of weeks. I do not remember if I was sick from the BMX surgery because I just felt crappy all over!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2012
    Options

Lor3 I get nauseous from anesthesia. My mom & sister do too but most people don't. I think you'd remember. Also even at my exchange I wasn't quite as bad as after BMX because it was a much shorter surgery. You won't be under that long. Sick for a couple of weeks! Not typical. I mean I also get a little heartburn but nothing major. I'm sure you'll be OK. This surgery is nothing like the BMX. It's 1000 times easier.

As far as shrinkage it happens to everyone. That's why your PS will make them really big know they will shrink and flatten out.

"What causes them to shrink?" Ha ha you sound like Elaine   

• lor3
    edited July 2012
    Options

I guess shrinkage is caused by the skin pulling back? What did Elaine say?
    Thanks for the encouragement. Was really scared to be out again! It's like leave my body alone already!

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2012
    Options

Elaine made me laugh this morning! Thanks for sharing.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

Who's Elaine?

• Summer2recover
    edited July 2012
    Options

I bet she means the "Elaine" from your Sienfeld link.  I'm sure she isn't talking about "Suzy"Laughing

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited July 2012
    Options

You are right! I was talking about the Sienfield link. Had a good chuckle while watching it this morning.

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited July 2012
    Options

Summer2recover - How did you get the small projection?  I got lost in the string. 

lor3 - I wasn't sick at all from lumpetomy anesthesia.  A bit from BMX but it was over by evening and nothing major.  I'm hoping for smooth sailing at the exchange.

• Summer2recover
    edited July 2012
    Options

Cmartin- It was easy for me to only get a small amount of projection because there wasn't much skin to work with because my implants were fitting mighty tight already. My skin was shiney in places and that means it was thin or really stretched out or something like that. I didn't do anything to protect them beyond the first part of the healing and I think that maybe you can prevent some of the flattening if you take some extra care.  I assume that they make the cuts for the flaps longer for someone who prefers hers more pronounced. They did start out quite projected and that would have been kind of a pain for me to live with, because for a while they showed under tighter fitting clothes, like workout tanks, even with a sports bra.  Now they just have a faint amount when I'm not wearing a bra and just around the house in t-shirt.  I can go out without a bra depending on the material/pattern of the top, but I really prefer having some kind of bra on because it feels better to have the support even though my implants are relatively small. 

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm the same as summer2recover. Mine seemed really big but over time they flattened. Also I'm sure you PS will recommend you wear a bra. They still need support.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2012
    Options

So what do I tell my PS? My nipple recon is 8/10. Do I need to go a little bigger and anticipate flattening? I don't want to look like I am cold all the time.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Msbelle initially you will look cold. There are nipple shields you can wear till they shrink. Your PS should have enough experience to now how much bigger to make them. I would have this discussion. They continue to shrink for at least 5+ months.
  • lor3
    edited July 2012
    Options

Wow 5 months to shrink! We're talking serious nipples. By the way I don't remember that Seinfeld episode. Hope I get to see it before surgery next week. Yechhh! You guys are helping me from freaking out

• CMartin
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm convinced I'm going to see Vinnie for 3-D tattooing.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options

CMartin if you know of someone who went through this see if they will show you theirs. I know a few women changed their mind and decided to get the nipple recon when they saw mine. Also see if you PS has photos.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012
    Options

My rub-on nipples arrived late yesterday! Going to "rub one on" today :)  ordered them in three shades, light, medium and dark (husbands choose the dark color). 

When I'm ready, I am also going to use Vinnie for 3D tatto's.  I hope to get my nipples by late August or early September. How long should you wait after nipples to get the tatto's? (sorry, if someone already asked this) 

• CMartin
    edited July 2012
    Options

I'm not positive and everyone is so different but I believe 12 weeks.

• Summer2recover
    edited July 2012
    Options

My PS said it's okay after a month, but the tattoo person said she likes her clients to wait the 3 months and sometimes needs to ask them to come back if he sends them too soon. 

• Incogneato
    Incogneato Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2012
    Options

GM:I got my rub-ons on Monday and wore them to PS appt. Weds.  I brought them a pkg. as well, his receptionist had a DMX w/o recon. she said she would use them. He loved them and may be ordering them for his MX patients to try before nip recon. He was very impressed with the placement :)  I love them as does my DH.  When I get a glimpse in the mirror it is somehow more comforting.  My eyes do not go to the scars, I highly advise everyone to get at least one pack.  Just be sure not  to let the scars determine placement.  They may seem too round at first but after your 1st shower the edges frey and they look very realistic.  I bought 2 packs of 4.

I have to have implants replaced in Oct. due to previous scar tightness squashing one.  So I will not be having nip recon til perhaps Dec.  But I do have a question for those who had the graft from the upper thigh.  I would like to know if you had to have tatooing as well?  I heard that the skin from that area heals darker so no tat is needed.  Please let me know. Also let me know about the healing of that area.  Was thinking boxers would be better than panties, i dunno.

Thanks

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited July 2012
    Options

I have to wait 6 weeks after nipples before I can get tattoo. I also have to go back for a second tattooing 6 weeks later due to fading. I didn't know you could get rub ons. Where do you get the from? I was going to to use smiley face stickers to decide on where I want mine. Last year this time I would have never dreamed I would be making these kind of decisions. I will never take another day for granted. Thankful for PS! Can't wait to see my finished perkies.

• Incogneato
    Incogneato Member Posts: 22
    edited July 2012
    Options
    This is where I ordered mine http://www.rubonnipples.com/nipples/color-palette/  I bought 8  all different colors.
  • GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012
    Options

Okay... I'm showing off my Rub-On's :)  

what a fun day!!!!

http://greenmonkeytales.blogspot.com/2012/07/rub-on-right-on.html

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    Options

I am 2 weeks post-op from the nip recon, and I might say they are lookin' good! Righty is a little more pronounced than Lefty - but they are still covered by Dermabond glue. I do think Lefty is slightly flatter than Righty - but then again, I did mention to my PS that I did not wish to end up with "headlights that always appeared "on"" when all was said and done. If these bad-boys continue to shrink, so be it. Right now as I type, I'm wearing a cotton T sans bra, and the the nips appear as though a cool breeze is blowing onto them , HA HA HA ! I will have to purchase some nip shields in the event I wish to go braless around the house (and my kids have friends over, or the UPS man knocks on the door, etc.). I went out and about with no bra today, and a maxi dress on - but it was a dark color on top AND I wore a shrug with it - so no concerns with that.

I had a candid chat with my DH about a w/e trip to MD, to have my tats done by Vinnie M - and he is cool with it. It's "only" a 6-hour drive from where we live, so I figure with a little advance planning, I can drive down and have the tats done on a Saturday, providing he works on Saturdays. My PS says 12 weeks after the recon and I'm good to go. He will do the tats in the office, but I have seen his work and while it is good, it is not "3D" like Vinnie's.

I have several pair of the rub-on nipples - which I tried while I was still "on the fence" about whether or not I was going to go through with the nip recon. Whenever I put those rub-ons on - I had a laugh and a halfover it ! I thought they looked ridiculous. I'm glad the "real" reconstructed nips do not appear as the rub-on tats did.

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options
    XRAYestInMA I know I had to protect my nipples for several weeks before I could put anything over them to hide them. My PS said that at the beginning to be real gentle with them. No hard water coming down on them. I made protectors out of gauze on either side of them so the bra wouldn't press down on them. Believe me they will shrink on their own. Don't try to flatten them out now. Ask your PS when you can wear those nipple sheilds.
  • GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012
    Options

Do they tattoo the nipples themselves so that they look darker? After seeing Vinnie's work I'm definitely using him as well only I'm going to use this as an excuse to go back to NOLA. I love New Orleans ~ I think I'm getting my nipples at the end of August or early September. Can't wait! 

Congratulations XRAY!  

• GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012
    Options

Do they tattoo the nipples themselves so that they look darker? After seeing Vinnie's work I'm definitely using him as well only I'm going to use this as an excuse to go back to NOLA. I love New Orleans ~ I think I'm getting my nipples at the end of August or early September. Can't wait! 

Congratulations XRAY!  

• lago
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Yes they tattoo the nipple as well as the areola. You want them to match don't you? Wink
  • GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012
    Options

Ha!!! thats great :)))))  yes I do!