Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• XRAYestInMA
    XRAYestInMA Member Posts: 9
    edited July 2012
    Options
    @lago I did ask about nipple care before I left the hospital - since I didn't want to ruin what was created. My post-op instructions were very basic - wear the sports bra for 48 hours to minimize "jiggling" (I wore it around the house for a week, just in case), then cover the nips with a piece of gauze and tape under my regular bra. I'm pretty thrilled about how they look right now, but I'm sure they are going to shrink more. I hope they don't shrink down to pancake nips - then I will be pissed that I did it in the first place. Perhaps once I have the 3D tats done, the nips can be shaded to appear more pronounced. I see my PS this Thursday for my 2 week post-op visit, so I wil ask about the shields.  
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited July 2012
    Options

Wow I was told to be very careful and not to wear anything that would compress them too much. They suggested soft foam padded bra as well as the gauge build up around them but that was after a week. First week I had gauze on them and a very thin barely there bra.

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited July 2012
    Options

GreenMonkey , I saw someone else post that Vinnie is booked several months out. So if you are wanting to see him, you might want to make a call to see what his calendar looks like.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thanks geewhiz !!!  Will do, will do ~

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2012
    Options

My nips were done last Thursday. Called Cynthia today and made my appt with Vinnie in November. Yeah. Cannot believe my wild year. I am slowly getting to the point of laughing that my 50 th year will consist of a boob job, tummy tuck and tats. Unbelievable for this super square carpool mom. Cancer does change things !!

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options
    grt42btexan I used to say I would never get a tattoo. More of a commitment than kids and I didn't even have kids. Kids grow up and go away, tattoo is forever. Well now I have 2 and it appears there will be touch ups in the future.
  • NatsFan
    NatsFan Member Posts: 1,927
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Same here - I swore that I'd never have plastic surgery, especially not something as frivolous as a boob job and tummy tuck, and of course never a tattoo.  Never say never . . . . Tongue out
  • lago
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Yeah never thought about plastic surgery either. Make up and hair dyeing was as far as I went and yet I still don't wear foundation. If my eyebrows keep thinning I might have to find some cash for Latisse Tongue out
  • Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited August 2012
    Options

This is a funny topic. I always had huge boobs so never thought about a boob job and kid of prided myself in having such nice natural boobs. I did however dye my hair blonde from brunette. So now I have a boob job with smaller boobs and I am brunette again. Soon to get my nips and tats not sure when yet though. Never had fake nails either thats where I draw the line.

• New-girl
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'm thinking of getting a tshirt with the famous quote from a Seinfeld episode.

They're fabulous and they're Mine!!!!!

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options

Carol haven't you learned never say never. Granted I've never sported the fake nails but I'm almost temped. Kidding but the toenails really look crappy… The horse pee is improved the fingers though.

• Carrol2
    edited August 2012
    Options

lago you are right. I pretty much keep an open mind to everything. I do the smokey eye thing so gotta watch out how big my hair and nails get, don't want to be jerseyliscious. Although nothing against chicagoliscious hee hee

• ladym13
    ladym13 Member Posts: 107
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi All,

I haven't been on here in So long, I've been reading through this thread and it seems like most of you had the tattooing done after the nipple recon, my PS does it the opposite way, tattooing and then the nipple construction 12 weeks later.

I just had my tattoo done on Thurs and havent really even seen it yet, as I'm still bandaged, but just wondered how happy everyone is with the color. I am worried, because I am quite pale and have a natural nipple on the right side, so I'm just hoping it matches...although I'm sure anything is better than the one headlight look...lol

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options
    ladym I have heard about doing the tattoo first. I believe one of the top PS does it that way out here. Initially it might not match because they do fade a little over time. Give it about 3-6 months. I had both removed so mine do match.
  • Teri060811
    Teri060811 Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am new to this site and to breast cancer.  I was diagnosed about 1 month ago and I am having a BMX next month. When I read "immediate reconstruction" does that mean that the reconstruction was started immediately or that when you leave the OR you already have reconstructed breasts?  The plan that the PS gave me was about a one year process.  She will place the tissue expanders immediately following the BMX and then after 4 weeks I will go to her office every 2 weeks for 2 months and she will expand them each time.  After that I have to wait another 2 months and then she will put in the impants.  4 months later she will make nipples and then 4 months after that I can have them tattooed.  I was a litle discouraged that the process takes so long.  Do most women wear a prosthetic bra in the meantime?  My breasts are a DD so I'm just thinking of all the stares I'm going to get when I'm suddenly flat chested :(

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options

Teri Immediate means just like you said they start it immediately. Some women do go straight to implants but you would have to go smaller. I also hear there can be more complications doing it that way but not sure. Others use tissue from their own body but th at is a much more invasive procedure. I did it like you. You can be fitted for a mastectomy bra so no one notices. Insurance should cover it. Not sure if your PS has to give you a prescription.

You won't be completely flat. Your PS will fill your expanders some during your BMX. I was pretty small to start so it wasn't noticeable at all on me. It's still strange though. 

Hang in there. 

• Uffda
    Uffda Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options

Nipple reconstruction this morning.... I didn't take pain Meds after mastectomies, but took one after this procedure. Not too bad, but sure pinches! Nipple covers (eye domes) in place. R and R for now!!!

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2012
    Options

Uffda..I go Friday for mine. Any advice? Button up shirt and bra?? I'll be sure I have some pain meds on hand. I'm nervous!!

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Msbelle- A button up or zip up shirt would be perfect! I am doing fine this evening and havent needed anything for pain. I do have a few small twinges of discomfort but much better than it was earlier today. I haven't figured out my work attire for tomorrow....I don't think my bra will fit over the shields. ?

I am sure you will do great on Friday! Let me know how it goes!

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Options

Teri, lago is right, it very much depends on what kind of reconstruction you are having. I chose to go with a Diep which meant using the tissue from my abdomen and yes I left the OR with my new new breast and a reduced one to match on the other side, after a 9 hour surgery. Everyone is different in why they decide to go for one type of reconstruction or another, and for me the length of the process of having TE implants was one of the reasons I did not go that way. Mind you there is no easy way, my recovery from the major surgery would have been longer and I have more scars.

It sucks which ever way we go but I am happy with the results and hope you will be too. It is a long process from diagnosis to getting some semblance of normal life back again, but there are many of us here, you need never feel like you are going through this eperience alone.

• Carrol2
    edited August 2012
    Options

OK finally got my surgery date for my nips for Oct. 30th. I am trying to lose about 20 pounds by then or close to it. Mostly because I want to have a good body image so I can judge what has been done objectively. My PS will do some lipo on my sides and I ahve some tissue on my non cancer side that has to go to make them even. I may also get some fat grafting to fluff things up in the upper pole. Preop is Oct 2nd. Looking forward to the end of my journey.

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options

Awesome Carrol. I'll be celebrating too. I can get my port out in October. Need to call and schedule that. You still have tattoos to do but that's a "procude" not surgery.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hooray, Carrol2! It's great you have a date.

• Carrol2
    edited August 2012
    Options

lago yeah the tattoos I prob wont even feel I am pretty numb in that area although i feel more and more as time goes on. Those will be like the cherry on the sundae. Don't link me a pic of a sundae jsut saying it makes me want one . . . waaaahhh!

golden thanks it feels good to see the end of the horizen.

• lago
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Not even a skinny cow sundae Wink  linky Oh wait, wrong sundae
  • txmomof2
    txmomof2 Member Posts: 48
    edited August 2012
    Options

How long were y'all out from work when you got your nipples done compared to when you had your exchange done?

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Txmom- My surgery was at 8 am. I went back to work the next day. A bit sore, not bad. Had my surgery Tuesday.

• New-girl
    edited August 2012
    Options

My surgery was at 7:30 in the morning.  Left the hospital at 4 that afternoon.  Felt wonderfuly the entire next week and did too much.  Didn't mess anything up but should have taken it easier than I did.  Texas heat can really get to you and I should have slowed down.  But compared to first surgery, there is no comparison.  This is literally a piece of cake.  Easier than wisdom teeth out.  And you will look marvelous when it is done!

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2012
    Options

I go in the morning. Why am I so nervous?? This is nothing compared to what I've done so far. Everyone else had local anesthesia, right?

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Options

I went under general anesthetic but I also had revision done on the ends of my abdominal scar and on my breast. I didn't experience any pain after the nipple reconstruction, mind you the whole breast is numb so I wasn't really expecting any. It has turned out very well, I just need an adjustment to the base of it, but otherwise the shape and look of it is very 'real'. All the best to you!