Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks bayoubabe, that is exactly what I am grappling with. I sure appreciate your input.

The PS just thinks about aesthetics and their photos at the end, but there is more to life! and i look pretty even in a bra and bikini, only my husband would ever see me without those, and he is so wonderfully accepting of all this. I am lucky.

Yet, it would be nice to be "perkier" on both sides, not just one, and insurance pays......which is the only reason I am considering it at all.

:)

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had a Mastectomy on the left & a reduction on the right - they moved the right nipple & made it smaller to make it look right with the new breast size - it looked a bit ghastly at first but it has healed up well & has retained all sensation - looks good - feels good - sometimes it's a little itchy - it's only been 6 mos so i assume there's still some healing going on inside.

this is why i think i will have a full recon - areola & nipple on the new "breast" - i feel they will look somewhat similar - tho the new one will not have sensation. With bras & inserts it is easy to equalize the two to make them look similar in clothes but naked they are not similar at all except in size - one is a solid mound which kind of freakishly contracts when i sneeze or yawn - the other is normally soft & droopy -hoping the "nipple" addition will make a difference in the shape & appearance of the recon.

• sciencegal
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks notbuyingit! I appreciate your input.

This is all so overwhelming sometimes. It really helps to have others opinions who have been through it.

I won't be planning any vacations on topless beaches, and above all I am just glad to be alive. Really glad! But most of all I think i just dont want to be reminded of cancer each time I look in the mirror.

Thank you!

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited August 2014
    Options

sciencegal---I had a uni mx in Dec 2012 and EX in March of 2013 so I'm almost a year and a half out. I did have mastopexy (which is lift and augment) on the native side. I had quite a bit of droop (I am....well, was 49 at the time). He knew going in that I would need a lift with possible augment. I ended up needing a bigger implant just to get the projection to make it look like a boob. Then I had an implant of 100cc added to the native side in order to match. In a bra you cannot tell any difference at all. I also still have full sensation on the native side. I had my MX side tattooed in June (which I felt by the way!! despite not having any real feeling on that side!!) and that's the only place that I'm not totally satisfied. The lifted areola does get stretched out (I had the circular incision) from the sutures and scarring. So you no longer have really defined edges, if that makes sense. Then I got the tattoo and it's so perfect and defined that it doesn't really match. Vinnie said it will start to fade and "fuzz out" a bit over the next year or so and it will match better. If not, he'll touch it up.

Anyway, just letting you know not to worry about sensation. My boob feels the same as does my nipple. I would get zaps for a while as nerves grew back but that's all settled down.

• k79miller
    k79miller Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2014
    Options

I got my nips on July 24th.  The nip on the unradiated side is pointing out a little bit.  Has anyone else experienced this?

• sciencegal
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks Lala for the advice!! Kim I haven't been there yet, but I hope someone will answer you.

I got my appointment for surgery set at the end of next month so I am pretty excited.

• ClaireFraser
    ClaireFraser Member Posts: 47
    edited August 2014
    Options

I had a UMX on my left and lift/implant on the right.  I was leaning towards the 3D nipple tattoo on the left, but now I'm not so sure.  Because of the lift, my nipple isn't flat, so I'm thinking of going the other route, so they match (both headlights on, lol).  Any UMX'ers have the 3D and are you happy?  It's a tough decision, as everything with breast cancer is...

Thanks,
    Claire

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2014
    Options

Claire - I have not had my tattoo yet.  However, I did get my left nipple reconstructed.  My surgeon did an amazing job of making it match my native nip.  Mine are also not always "on".  You can see them through shirts without a bra, but it does not look like I am cold!SillyHeartI am very glad I had this done.  I look down when I am naked and see a nip on both sides!  Amazing and very mind healing after BC.  

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2014
    Options

I'm 4 weeks out tomorrow and loving what my nips are becoming. 

• Unknown
    edited August 2014
    Options

went to see a new PS about my nipple recon - he was on board with both the areola/nipple recon & using the skin from my bulge on the right side (which has to go)  - he also said he could give the right just another little lift to help match the "perkiness" of the recon breast. I know the natural & the new will never match perfectly - different tissue & i know you can make them look however you want in the right bra - but was hoping to get away with just a t-top when i'm not at work & right now the one up - one down is pretty noticeable.

i was surprised when he told me only 30% of us follow through to complete the recon. 

• friendships
    friendships Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2014
    Options

I am less than a week out from nipple reconstruction and have not stopped smiling since the reveal! Probably anyone else looking at them would think I'm crazy for being so profoundly happy. There are stitches everywhere (mainly because a scar was excised) but scars will fade and the nipples are long but will shrink considerably. It was a difficult decision to make but my reaction shows me it was the right choice for me.

• Teacher64
    edited August 2014
    Options

friendships - at 4 weeks they are even better. I have a few reluctant stitches and scabs but the nips look gooood!

• friendships
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thank you for the encouraging words, Teacher64! 

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited August 2014
    Options

friendships and teacher, hello!  Did you both get recon nipples plus tattooing?  And did they take skin from another place to do it?  I want to smile as much as you do :)

• Teacher64
    edited August 2014
    Options

bobogirl - my nips were made from my crop circles, skin that came from my belly during the DIEP. I will be getting tattoos when I can, the cherry on top of the sundae!

• bobogirl
    edited August 2014
    Options

Teacher, that is so cool and advanced!  

• friendships
    edited August 2014
    Options

bobogirl, each of my nipples was created from the skin on each reconstructed breast. I believe the technique was a modification of the double opposing tab shown below.. The rounded part at each end was more exaggerated in my case. Both my incisions and nipples are longer than in these photos.

The procedure was done with just a local (which was the only part that stung) and I kept my eyes closed! He revised a scar in the area too. I'll return to the office in about 3 month to have micro-pigmentation for color. If you have any other questions, I'm happy to reply. 

• bobogirl
    edited August 2014
    Options

Friendships, this is an awesome post!  You could be dr.  

So, micro pigmentation?  Will that be same as tattooing?  And you only had a local?  I am gobsmacked.  No V?

You are so kind to provide this detail.  I am so grateful.  I am worried about the side effects or risks associated with nipple recon -- I really don't need any more trouble -- but your procedure looks pretty low-risk...

• friendships
    edited August 2014
    Options

Thanks bobogirl! As I understand it, micro-pigmentation is the type of tattooing that is available in the PS's office. I asked to see some photos of nipple reconstruction and the micro-pigmentation that had been done in the practice before deciding to go ahead with the procedure. Maybe your PS could provide you with some photos of work done there or contact info of another patient that would be willing to show you her results to help you decide.

My nipple reconstruction was done in the PS's office in a "procedure room". I don't know what defines a "procedure room" but I know there is just one in the large office. The nurse offered me round band-aids to place where I wanted the nipples and said the PS would advise if he thought the placement needed an adjustment. I showed her some nipple decals I bought online for $6 that I had been playing around with regarding placement. The PS came in and I told him I was too nervous to figure out where I thought my nipples should go. I asked him to make them where he thought they would look best and that I was less concerned about camouflaging scars than I was getting out of the shower, glancing in the mirror and thinking...saggy. He spent what I thought a good deal of time examining me, measuring and marking me while I was upright.

Then I got on a comfortable bed type table with a good pillow (no IV needed) and the nurse put the ground return pad on the small of my back. That did not hurt at all; it's just a pad that adheres to the skin. The PS asked if I wanted cucumber slices or gauze for my eyes. I laughed and declined. He touched my breast skin with something and asked if I felt it. I did and the local was administered on side of my breast. The sting from it didn't last long. A kind nurse held my hand. I also had a local on the other side before work began on that side. The hour or so it took for the procedure went quickly with some enjoyable conversation. (But I kept my eyes closed!)

Afterwards, an antibiotic gel was applied, some type of strips placed around the nipple, nursing type pads with holes in the middle were stacked and a gauze pad taped over the stack. I brought a surgical bra (left over from the MX and exchange) that I had cut big holes out for the dressings but the nurse said a regular bra would have been fine because the pads protect the new nipples. I put on my lovely contraption, got dressed, burst into tears of relief and gratitude, composed myself and drove home pain free.

A couple hours later I was uncomfortable and took a Tylenol. Pain free again. About 4 hours later the side that had the scar excised started throbbing but the side with just the nipple reconstruction was pain free and has remained so. I took 1/2 a Norco left over from previous surgeries and it took care of the pain. I wouldn't have needed any additional pain relief if it weren't for the scar revision. After another 4 hours or so I took the second half of the Norco. The next day was just Tylenol and after that the pain from the excision did not return. 

• Teacher64
    edited August 2014
    Options

My nipple reconstruction was under general because I had lots of scar revision and fat grafting at the same time. I went home the same day and did pain meds twice. My PS put the nipples where they needed to be. I figured he had experience putting them in the right place and he did. My incisions didn't look like that but the "crop circle" from DIEP surgery was used so now the edge of the circle will become the edge of the areola when I get the tattoo. I had to wear the "holey" bandages and bra with holes cut out. Because of scar revision on sides, I had to wear a bra 24/7 for 10 days. (My husband said I needed new bras when he saw one with the holes cut out!) At the follow up appointment, stitches were removed from around the areola but all the others came out on their own. On another chat, I commented that the nipples looked like the rice/meatballs my mother used to make with all the little nubs of "rice/stitches" projecting from the skin. Thankfully, they aren't meatball shaped but they are still big...beautiful though, Nice and pink since all stitches and scabs are off. I know the tattoos will make them look complete.

• MereMere
    MereMere Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2014
    Options

Hey Ladies!  I would have loved to be awake and watch mine.  My doc didn't care but their practice has a contract with a surgery center and does not do any in house procedures.  Have your new accessories shrunk any yet? I can tell mine have about 20% or so.  Just curious...

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014
    Options

mine are beginning to soften on the edges but are still pretty big.

• friendships
    edited September 2014
    Options

Mine have shrunk about 10%. My PS told me mine will eventually shrink approximately 70% over a period of months so reconstruction takes this into account and nipples are created much larger than the desired outcome. I wouldn't mind if mine doesn't shrink that much. Do you know if protecting them longer than the 2 weeks I have been instructed to do so actually reduces the eventual shrinkage or just delays the shrinkage? Thanks everybody for all you share! It's very helpful!

• Monis
    Monis Member Posts: 309
    edited September 2014
    Options

Yes, mine has shrunk a little bit (it has been about 6 weeks).  I feel very protective of it!  My PS told me that it can shrink up to 75%!  More shrinkage is ok with me though, as it's still pretty "out there" and my natural nipple is pretty flat since my reduction sgx.  I don't have to use pads around it anymore, but I have been - I don't want to squish it!

• bobogirl
    edited September 2014
    Options

Don't know if you sisters will think me stupid or frivolous, but this is one of my favorite threads.  I so look forward to having nipples.  I didn't know I would be like that.

I am learning so much!  Really I have no idea what I'm going to do, specifically.  I'm just looking forward to getting them.  

Sending all of you hugs.  XOXOXO

• Teacher64
    edited September 2014
    Options

bobogirl - I read this thread as a sort of preparation for getting nipples. Neither reading this thread nor wanting nipples is frivolous. Mine are 5 weeks old and I like them more every day!

• Unknown
    edited September 2014
    Options

hey so I called that new PS's office last Monday & told them I wanted him to do my second phase of reconstruction - the girl said she just had to call the hospital & get back to me with a couple of possible dates....tick tock...they still haven't called me - i called that Wed just to make sure they have correct phone #'s...should I be worried that they are just not going to take me? I don't care if I have to wait a couple months - I just want to know it's scheduled.

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited September 2014
    Options

friendships, using protection on them reduces shrinkage, according to my PS. I'm using makeup removal pads with a hole cut out and PS said I could go on doing that for six months! Mine are skin graft nips, though, so I don't know if that makes a difference. They are almost 11 weeks old and they are absolutely beautiful!

• MereMere
    MereMere Member Posts: 74
    edited September 2014
    Options

I am getting my stitches out today!! I can't wait to see my nips out from under all the surgical glue and steri strips!!! 

• friendships
    edited September 2014
    Options

lahela, thank you very much for answering my question and sharing your experience! I will continue to protect my new nipples. I'm delighted and encouraged that your results are beautiful and I'm following your lead in hope of the same.

MereMere, my friend who also has been an important adviser to me on another thread, I'm so excited for you that you are getting your stitches out today!