Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited October 2014
    Options

I had the graft from the groin (adjacent to the labia) and while it was awkward to pee for a week or so (I fashioned a cone out of an old water bottle to pee through, so it didn't get on the incisions as they healed) I can't see the scar at all any more unless I search for it and have had no issues with it at all. And my nips are gorgeous!

• undercoverebel
    undercoverebel Member Posts: 574
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi everyone,I have a question-I'm skinny and even on non-skinny girls my PS has had lots of shrinkage. She doesn't expect great results for me but will do it. Apparently the thin skin is an issue. I am wondering if any skinny girls here could respond with their PS's technique,such as which flap and from where they took the skin,did they use Alloderm etc. Shannon

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671
    edited October 2014
    Options

Thanks guys for the replies...the PS seems interested in doing the grafting mostly from the stomach which he said will not be visible...which I cannot imagine. I like the idea of a groin incision except it sounds PAINFUL...you say it lasts about a week?

Why do they have to graft at all? Cant they just do the origami method and then I get Vinnie to tattoo areolas? I am not excited for more incisions.

And undercover, I am pretty thin, not much fat at all. My PS said my skin is in good shape, and he thinks he can tighten it across my tummy where I have had 3 kids so it looks completely flat ...not that I ever even noticed I had an issue there...or at my age (48) even care, lol. He is adamant grafting works better and that alloderm rolled into a cone inside the nipple produces superior results.

GEEWHIZ!!! I am DREADING THIS!!!

• Teacher64
    Teacher64 Member Posts: 402
    edited October 2014
    Options

Wondering if anyone has had their nips reduced after stage 2? Mine have not really shrunk and PS said it could be done in the office. It will mean waiting more for tattooing. 

• lahela
    lahela Member Posts: 145
    edited October 2014
    Options

Teacher, you must have the opposite problem to most women! Sorry, no experience from me, but wishing you all the best with it!

• sciencegal
    sciencegal Member Posts: 546
    edited October 2014
    Options

Teacher I would wait, I think they can continue to remodel for quite a few months. You are one of the lucky ones!

Re the donor site. skin grafting, they took mine from the area on my side, under the arm, because I had a weird bulge there after the lymph node excisions. There was already a scar my PS wanted to get rid of.

I hadnt realized how much skin they would need, my PS created a whole areola the same size as the other one (I had a lift at the same time, so now the size, shape and stiches match) and also created the larger-than needed nip in the center.

This is quite a feat of tissue engineering, I must say!

And my donor site scar has healed up pretty well over the past two weeks. the "girls"are getting there. There is no pain on the nip graft side, just some-fading- on the side with the lift.

Overall I find this a really interesting experience. And I am so excited to feel whole again.

Good luck!!

• Teacher64
    edited October 2014
    Options

Sciencegal - I have decided to wait to see how they progress.

• Lorbgoo
    Lorbgoo Member Posts: 111
    edited October 2014
    Options

Janet sent you a pm but I think I had the twirly one. I go back in two week to get the stitches out. I hope they look good. They are huge now and don't look nice but the ps said they shrink by 75%. 

• rainbird
    rainbird Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options

a quick note: several months ago I purchased prosthetic nipples made by Pink Perfect.

they seems to be a realistic and durable solution. The supplied adhesive held for 3-4 days, but then I tried a stronger one (telesis) and the results are remarkable - more than a week already!

anyone here with the same experience?

• newyear13
    newyear13 Member Posts: 18
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hello, I wanted to share with everyone interested in getting 3D nipple tattoos that I just had mine done in Seattle by Vyvyn Lazonga (www.madamelazongastatoo.com). I traveled from San Diego for the tattooing. She did an AMAZING job! She is a brilliant artist, and has been doing 3d nipple tattooing for decades. She is also very kind and made me feel so comfortable. Her pricing was very reasonable. Vyvyn's shop is clean and lovely, right in the heart of the Pike's Market. After spending 7 months recovering from my mastectomy, and 3 more surgeries thereafter, this final process was so special--it was painless and has made me feel like the reconstruction journey is complete because I feel whole again. My friends can't believe how real the tattoos look--I keep looking at them in awe. For anyone who lives in the Seattle area or is willing to make the trip to see Vyvyn is Seattle-- the miles will be well worth it!!
  • worryocd
    worryocd Member Posts: 9
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi ladies!

So glad I found this forum. I am having my nipples reconstructed next week in the docs office. I am nervous! The doc is going to form nipples from the skin of my boobs! What should i expect? pain? Can i still wear form-fitted shirts? I have not brought bras yet. I usually wear camisoles. Should I stock up on gauze and tape? Is sleeping painful? What are your experiences?

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited January 2015
    Options

worryocd---the nip recon for me was completely painless (origami style like yours). He numbed my foob first and I felt a tiny little stick and that was it. We chatted the whole time and I went home. Never had any pain. Once I took off his bandages I bought the round makeup pads from Target that are like 100 for a couple of bucks and I would cut a whole in one and then tape a whole one over that. I wear basic non wired bras (Bali 3488) and you couldn't see the pads. My PS said to keep it covered for a couple of weeks but I did it til I used the whole package which was about 3 months. My nip has shrunk a bit and kinda flattened but still looks really good. And when I had Vinnie tattoo my areola, he tattooed some shading underneath the nip so that when you look at it, it looks like it "pops". The tattooing actually hurt more than the recon but both very very doable!

• amieclemens5
    amieclemens5 Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello ladies!

I too will be having my nipples done very soon.  I haven't decided on the origami procedure just yet.  Another PS my PS works make the nipple from a skin graft.  Any thoughts on his procedure?

• amieclemens5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hello worryocd.. did you go the guy on Maryland?

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited January 2015
    Options

amieclemens5 - Ihad my nipple reconstructed using the skin graft method. I am very happy with it; thrilled actually. I had rads, so the new skin helped that situation. I have had no shrinkage, other than what my PS planned on. No disappearing new nip, as many find their nip flattens to nothing - mine looks very natural, is soft and doesn't appear always 'on.' Great match to my spared nip on other side. Scar from donor site, along my panty line, is fading nicely. I am very glad this is the method my PS chose! 😃 .

• Lorbgoo
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had my nips done by plastic surgeon origami style. He gave me a sponge to use with a hole cut out. I was able to sleep on my side just fine. A few weeks ago I got the tatts. From Tara and Pink InkTattoo in Raleigh NC. They turned out great and look real!

Good luck!

• worryocd
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi! Thank you ladies! Happy Lala1- Thank you for sharing. I totally know the make-up pads your talking about and I will buy some and tape. I will definitely look into the Bali bra. Very comforting to read that it's not bad at all! Smile Amieclemons- I am from Chicago, so My doc that is performing the nipple reconstruction is Dr. Schierle. My ps that performed my expander and implant surgery is Dr. Neil Fine. So far I am so pleased. If I wanted Fine to do the nipples, he suggested the OR. I do not want to go back to the OR. I have had 5 visits to the OR in the passed two years. That is enough for me!

• amieclemens5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi geewhiz,

Since I am just now reading this - how did your recon go?  I am looking at having the same thing done.  Have an appointment tomorrow to talk about the skin graft vc the origami.  What was your experience?

• amieclemens5
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi lahela,

Sounds like you had a good experience using the skin grafts for the nipple.  I am thinking I want to do that too.  Have a consult tomorrow to find out where he would suggest taking the skin.  I'm pretty thin, so I'm not sure.

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had "origami" and LOVE my nipples. It took about six weeks for them to shrink down to a normal size. Three months later I got 3D tattoos done by my PS's med assistant. I am complete

• worryocd
    edited January 2015
    Options

I had my nipples reconstructed yesterday(Thursday) and I am amazed! I couldn't watch so I asked for a towel to cover my eyes. It's amazing what doctors can do! So far they are raw and a little bloody . How long does it stay that way? Do all the stitches dissolve? I go back next week. They asked if I wanted to wait two weeks or one week for my next appointment. I wanted a week. I am nervous when the body looks so tender and raw. Did you gals shower every day after the reconstruction? I am afraid to shower! I showered the day of the procedure. I will shower tomorrow.

• Teacher64
    edited January 2015
    Options

worryocd - some of my stitches came out on their own and some needed to be removed. It took about a month for them to get to their best size. Once the stitches were out, my new nipples looked so much better. It's been 2 months since my tattoos and I am so thrilled to see the new me

• lala1
    lala1 Member Posts: 974
    edited January 2015
    Options

My stitches were removed about a 10 days PO by the nurse. Didn't feel a thing.

• Lorbgoo
    edited February 2015
    Options

my stiches had to be removed. Showering wasn't problem.

• andi44
    andi44 Member Posts: 23
    edited July 2015
    Options

It's been a while since I posted - But-

I just wanted to give a shout out for Paul Bessette, with Vinnie Myers Team, in Baltimore, MD...I had my single tattoo done on Friday 7/10/15, and I LOVE IT...As I take a quick glance, I would think the nipple was actually real...I couldn't have asked for a more caring and attentive person doing my tattoo...I would highly recommend him for anybody needing their tattooing services...I opted out of doing the nipple reconstruction, as I've had enough surgeries with this reconstruction process...

Andi  :)

• Suzy1067
    Suzy1067 Member Posts: 15
    edited July 2015
    Options

Hi All!

I'm new to the forum and very happy to have all of this information and all of you! I've had many tests and additional biopsies since the original dx of IDC and ER+/PR+...I was hoping to be a candidate for NSM, but, sadly I'm not. I am a candidate for Skin Sparing, so, I'm still considering the BMX as the worst part of all (for me) has been the additional testing, sonograms and biopsies. I just dread the thought of continuing down that path and in addition having to do radiation. I feel the BMX is the best choice for me while I'm fairly young (47) and in the best physical condition I've ever been in.

My main thought now is about the nipple - whether or not to have it reconstructed (origami or tattoo). I wonder how it will be for my DH with it being smooth...anyone else have thought on this and/or how did you handle? My DH says he has no preference...UGH

I'm driving myself crazy!

TIA

• Janetanned
    Janetanned Member Posts: 118
    edited July 2015
    Options

Suzy - Originally, I had the origami nipple surgery and areola tattoo done for my sake. My husband was very neutral about the procedures. And I must say, I'm very glad I had both done. Every time I catch a glance at my breasts in a mirror I can't believe how good they look. I noticed the other day that I had a subtle 'high beam' action going on with the tee shirt I was wearing and was strangely thrilled. Both finally completed the whole reconstruction process and restored some 'normal' to my life. As for my husband, he has commented a number of times how good everything looks. He does not care how they feel. He is a very visual person.

• myajames
    myajames Member Posts: 50
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hey Ladies! Very early on my journey, and am trying to better understand timelime. How long after intial DIEP reconstruction can nipple reconstruction happen?

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited March 2016
    Options

Hi All

I am 8 days from fat grafting and nip recon with skin grafts from panty line of thigh. PS visit yesterday was my first look at things.

I am still quite sore at FG and skin donor and receiving sites and black and blue , and not thrilled with how nips look. The nips look so foreign to me that I find it upsetting. Sad Nothing looks like the 'old me' and I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be comfortable again? Seems I go from one procedure to another and have hardly felt ok since this 'journey' began 2 years ago.

Perhaps being still sore and unable to shower, and now having twice a day dressing change on the nips is getting me down.

I apologize for complaining, - I am looking for some encouragement, - especially from anyone familiar with this nip procedure. MANY THANKS!

• Teacher64
    edited March 2016
    Options

another NYCG-it takes a while for the nips to settle down. I remember that it was about six weeks before I felt ok about them. What really did it was getting tattooed. I got out of the shower and saw myself in the mirror and was so close to my "old self" that I nearly cried. It does end