Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Nipple reconstruction

Options

Comments

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited August 2012
    Options

My doctor kept my wrapped up so I couldn't do anything to them until I came back to see him about five days after the surgery. Then I was do use bandaids and sort of "cup" the nipple to gently protect it. Later on, I did have to use peroxide to help the with the scabbing.

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2012
    Options

lago - thanks.  I haven't taken a shower yet but will be careful with the water.  I'm supposed to go back to work next Tuesday.  Hopefully that will be ok to wear a really soft bra. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2012
    Options

I put my back to the shower. For work initially I wore a cami and loose or heavier tops (it was colder then).

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'm somewhat jealous when I read how great they are and happy you are.  I just don't think I can do it.  I hope I don't regreat it and end up going back. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2012
    Options

CMartin I just showed my mom my boobie prizes this past week when I was hope. She saw them last summer when I had barbie boobs. First thing she said was "how did he do the nipples they look so real" Then she noticed one was lighter than the other… my mom paints Tongue out

Have you seen pictures of other finished nipples?

• Uffda
    Uffda Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2012
    Options

Jwilco- my instructions were about the same: no compression on nipple for 3 weeks. So like you, I have either gone braless or used the doughnuts. I didn't have any scabs like the others have talked about. I still have "chromic" dissolving sutures that have to fall off. Very happy with the way they look!

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Options

I didn't have any scabs either, I'm wondering if there is some difference in how the nipples are made that determines this? I had the bandaid 'cup' for a week and then gauze 'donut' for another couple of weeks and that was it. Soft cup slightly padded bra so not too much pressure and was told not to get it soaked in the shower initially.

Last time I went to my PS, 2 months post surgery, he said there wouldnt be any more shrinkage. I guess time will tell. It's a pretty normal size now, but, the base shape of it is not quite right and I am waiting for an appointment (which could take ages as it is low priority) to have it revised. I have been in two minds about it as even though it will be minor compared to the other surgeries, it's still more cutting and will probably delay getting the tattooing done. On the other hand I'm not sure I can just live with it the way it is, knowing it could look better. Oh the dilemma! Just want all of this behind me!

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Suzy: I would say : Do it now and get this all behind you. ( if you can handle another procedure). I am of the thought: have this be a bump in the road and then get on with life! Oh and you have probably met your deductible for the year!!??? Have it revised if it really bothers you. (just my two cents). :)

• SuzyBlue
    SuzyBlue Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2012
    Options

Uffda, you are probably right, I guess I am just a little disappointed that it is something small that is holding up the proceedings. I'm quite keen to get the tattooing done as that will really make a difference in matching the two sides up. The new aerola nipple area is very pale compared to the other and I made the horrible discovery today that I have hairs growing where there were none before! Who know my abdomen was so hairy!! At least they are fair! Oh the joy never ends lol.

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Suzy you are correct! The joy and surprises never end!! :)

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited August 2012
    Options

Just had my 2 week checkup with my PS. She said my nipple and other breast are doing great. The nipple is a keeper! WOOHOO!! Next comes the areola tatoo, then I'm DONE! Bye bye bc (God willing).

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Great news Yorkiemom!!!!

• alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2012
    Options

I just had my second tattoo done about a month ago, just a touch up because she didnt want to make it too dark to begin with.  She works in my PS office so it is really easy to do and somewhere I am familiar with.  I got my nipple done in Dec, it looks really nice.  It is flatter than my natural one but you cannot really tell unless you look really close.

• Ddeal14
    Ddeal14 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2012
    Options

I want nipples but so tired of surgeries. My ps says he can do it with local, but prefer me to go under cause it's hard for him to work with my severe needle phobia. He also doesn't agree to do it along with colonoscopy, cause its a dirty procedure. I don't think I can do it. For those of you who had a local, is it manageable? Thank you

• alliesmom15
    alliesmom15 Member Posts: 66
    edited August 2012
    Options

It was the easiest surgery I have ever been through!  My PS came in a marked me and made me wear a patch for nausea, I woke up chatty as heck.  My hubby still laughs at my ramblings, it is funny to hear.  I was out of it a couple of days but was pretty easy.  I had the fat transfers though so I had more pain in the donor site, it would have not been bad at all had I just gone with a nipple recon.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2012
    Options

I did it under a local. My daughter got to watch (she wants to be a surgeon) and we all talked the entire time. Did not hurt! This was the easiest procedure so far. I was so anxious about it but it really was not bad. So glad I did it. Now I am waiting for tattoos. Determined to complete the journey 100%.

• Carrol2
    Carrol2 Member Posts: 1,477
    edited August 2012
    Options

I love this thread. The final (hopefully) surgery, the cherries on top! The end of this crazy journey. I am really looking forward to getting my nips. I have been holding off on two things until after it was all done. One is my old bras. I was a 34DD and now I am a 36D, so I will donate those to the safe house for battered women. The other thing is I want to voulounteer in some way to help other women going though this but I want to be completely done first. I don't know what I will do but I really want to help in some way, give back.

• jill47
    jill47 Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2012
    Options
    Carrol2:  I want to give back too and I'm figuring out what to do and when.   Just by being on this forum and offering our experience and support to the ladies is giving back.  I love your idea about donating specifcally to women in safe homes, I'm going if there is one in my city.  I'll  have a ton of jog bras in excellent condition + my smaller cupped wire bras to donate....see you just gave back. Thank you.
  • Ddeal14
    Ddeal14 Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2012
    Options

Thank you alliesmim15. Msbelle, you are an inspiration, I am now determined to complete the journey, thanks again.

• MrsCich
    MrsCich Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi ladies.  I'm not really new to the boards but I am to this thread.  I am 33 years old with no hx of BC but I was diagnosed Monday with IDC and DCIS, in two separate masses on opposite sides of the R breast.  I'm scheduled for a BMX on Wednesday, 8/29 and I'm having such a dilemma with this whole nipple stuff. 

Yesterday when I met with the PS was the hardest day for me.  My BS was telling me I was having Bilateral nipple sparing simple mastectomies.  Which sounded just peachy....if any of it can be that. After meeting with my PS, he was frank (which I appreciate) and gave me choices for the nipples.  I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU HAD A CHOICE!!!  He told me I could most definitley keep mine but after explaining some of the things that can happen to them (they may not stick and may slide some, they may blister, may turn black and rot off (yes, he said this) and a few other things I can't really recall because the thought of the above mentioned actions made my stomach turn and I kind of tuned him out.  He did say I could just have some made and tattooed, which seems easier to me but after reading your comments I was unaware that they stay "turned on."  I have the weekend to think about it and tell him of my decision on Monday when I finish my paperwork and then do pre-op. 

Help me ladies!!!!   The rug has been pulled out from under me twice this week...first with being diagnosed and then learning all the horrific details of the reconstruction.  I appreciate your input of how you decided what to do.  I do want them natural looking but I do not want a lot of surgeries.  I've already been told I will have two.  The initial BMX with expanders put in and then the second being for my actual implants.  At first I was scared to wake up with nothing there.  I've always been busty (5' 9", 165 lbs and a 36DD) but he reassured me the expanders would be 2/3's full when I wake up from surgery....making be about a B cup.  I want to look the same, no bigger...maybe a little smaller. I just don't want drastic..ya know?  UUUUGH....any insight would be so greatly appreciated. 

Thank you in advance!!!

• Uffda
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mrsciche- all of this is so much to figure out! It's rough and I hate that anyone has to go thru it. My breast surgeon didnt offer the nipple sparing MX to me. She said she was concerned about leaving cancerous cells there if she did that surgery, given where my tumor was. I didnt have a problem with them taking my nipples- my husband kinda had a problem---but it really wasnt his choice. I had my nipples reconstructed about 2.5 wks ago and they are great! Tattooing in a couple months. It sounds like you PS was 'straight up' with you which is good. You have to make the decision that is best for you....and i am sure you will. I don't regret letting mine go. Will be thinking about you this weekend and on Wednesday.

• jwilco
    jwilco Member Posts: 209
    edited August 2012
    Options

MrsCich - There is a topic for nipple/skin sparring under the Breast Reconstruction section of this site.  I'm not sure if you have found it yet, but I'm sure those ladies that had this type of procedure could help answer your nipple questions.   

For myself, I just had my nipple surgery on Monday and am so far very happy with the new nip.  Yes it will be "always on", but heck, it's there!

I feel for you having to make all these decisions and I know it's hard.  Ask questions and you will find the right choice for you.  Good Luck!

• tenaj
    tenaj Member Posts: 365
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi ladies. I'm having a difficult time deciding what to do for this next step. My PS has suggested a graft from my c-section scar to make areola & nipple. My thought is that you would see an incision all around or does the tattoo cover that? Is there a less invasive way to make a nipple & just tattoo the areola?

It is very encouraging to hear that many of you are happy...thanks.

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'm 2 weeks out from my exchange and nip/areola recon.  I wish I had had the option to keep my nipple, but I couldn't. MrsCich I certainly can't tell you what's right for you, but I'd certainly would have tried to keep mine if I could have.  Even though PS very happy with results, still not the same as the real deal.

tenaj - I did have a skin graft for my areola, and while there will be some scarring around, I'm thrilled I didn't have just the tattoo, but that is an option.  I'd advise trying to find some pics of both before you decide.

• MrsCich
    MrsCich Member Posts: 114
    edited August 2012
    Options

Jamie, originally I was glad to hear that I was a candidate for keeping mine. However, after hearing that I will have no sensitivity or feeling in them regardless, they can have them. I've always thought mine were rather small for the size of my breasts so I'm not attached to them. I just figured if I kept my own it was less surgery, but it's not. They still cut them off and skin graft them on so they will be in the proper place. Due to my size I have to have a lot of skin cut off and the entire area will be new to me and nothing will be mine (except the outer skin) anyways. I just don't know. Thank y'all for your input. Keep it coming!!!!

• CMartin
    CMartin Member Posts: 237
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mrscich...so sorry for your news. I didn't have the option to save since dcis was near the nipple. I'm going to New Orleans for tattoo only (today was my exchange from expanders to implants). I too debated for a very long time. No feeling no function two more cuts and having to wear a padded bra to cover it back up...tats was where I ended up but my Ps said I wasn't burning any bridges and that we could revise later if I really wanted too. I changed my mind several times...even after surgery was scheduled.

• lisagwa
    lisagwa Member Posts: 39
    edited August 2012
    Options

Cmartin- I too have decided on having it all tattoo. Since I wasn't going to have feeling in my nips, I wasn't sure I wanted go through another surgery and then worry about whether they would shrink or whether I didn't shield them correctly, etc. It's such a personal decision.

It's good to know that down the road we could change our minds.

• Golden01
    Golden01 Member Posts: 527
    edited August 2012
    Options

Like others, I didn't have a chance to keep my nipples because of where my tumor was located. For what it's worth, I'd keep my nipples if that had been an option! Sounds like you have a good plastic surgeon that is explaining it well. Sending good thoughts to surround you!

• JamieB86
    JamieB86 Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2012
    Options

I'm a UMX so I wanted the symmetry.  I may have gone just with the tattoo if I was a BMX.  It's nice we have options anyway.

• Msbelle
    Msbelle Member Posts: 160
    edited August 2012
    Options

Nipple sparing wasn't really a good option for me but I didn't want any part of my breast left behind anyway. I wanted all of them gone along with the cancer. I've had my "PS made nipples" for 2 weeks now and can't stop looking at them in the mirror. They look so real! If I wear a thin shirt it's barely visible thru but I just wear a bra with a thin pad in it. I'm pleased and I went with what my plastic surgeon recommended. It is a huge decision but I relied on his 39 yrs of experience and glad I did. Glad we have options. Those trying to decide, go with your gut feeling!! Just don't be scared to finish it. The hardest stuff is behind you.....MX, LX, Chemo, rads etc. This part is easy for most people.