Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Breast Cancer Symptoms - a comprehensive list from those w/bc

Options

Comments

• atticchild311
    atticchild311 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hello I am not sure that I have breast cancer, but I am terrified that I do. A little history first, my mother was diagnosed when she was 42 years old. They biopsied an area and it came back ok then two years later she was extremely tired and was gaining weight. The area she got biopsied had turned into stage 3 breast cancer. She went into remission just to get stage 4 colon cancer two and half years ago. With me I got my first biopsy at 31 in my right breast, they said it was fine and put a little mental locator in it. Then when I was almost 33 I found a cyst in my left breast and it had to be removed. I missed my yearly mammo by 6 months, I was so busy and I felt fine so I didn't go. The past three months I have been exhausted, my limbs feel very heavy, and I have gained 20 pounds in 4 weeks. I went to the doc. they did tons of blood work and went for a mammogram. They said give them ten days for results because they was really busy, well three days later I get a call saying I have heto dense breast tissue, a significant change from my last mammogram. Went the next week for my ultrasound on a Tuesday, she kept asking me where my marker was and I kept pointing to it. Got a call from my doc. on a Friday wanting me in there that Sat. I went and all my blood work is great except my WBC count is elevated. They don't really know why they checked me for all kinds of things and that the bump I had the biopsy on has tripled in size. My doc. wants me to call my surgeon on Monday. I have been really worried about this, my mom is to. Almost everyone in our family has had breast, colon, pancreatic and stomach cancer. My mother and my dads father all got diagnosed at a young age. I guess my stress level has been extremely high. My daughter had a brain tumor 2 1/2 years ago that resulted in two surgeries and she had a stroke and lost her left side. A lot of therapy and she is doing great and it wasn't cancer. Then my mother getting diagnosed again the same day of my daughters surgery. Then my father in law got diagnosed in Jan with stage four gall bladder cancer, and my husbands step dad dying of liver failure. So stress is a huge part of my life, oh and I work 50 plus hours a week as a LPN and I am in school to get my RN. I have all these plans and I feel like everything is on hold until I find out what this is. But the other ones I wasn't that worried and for some reason this one has me really worried. But just writing this down has helped me some. I don't want to tell anyone with all the other issues we have going on in the family, so my husband and my parents are all I have said anything to. Def. haven't said a word to my two kids they are almost 16 and 14 and don't want to worry them. Thank you for listening.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,052
    Options

Dear atticchild311, we sorry you are here and worried, but wanted to say welcome! We're so happy you decided to join in, and we know you'll find lots of answers here. There's a lot of great people here providing support and information, so we hope you get responses soon. In the meantime, if you need help around the boards at all feel free to send us a private message.

Best wishes,

The Mods

• KaliforniaDawn
    KaliforniaDawn Member Posts: 1
    Options

For the past few months I have been experiencing issues with my right breast. First off in November of last year, my right nipple itched like crazy for 2 days then it stopped. Fast forward to March of this year and my right nipple feels very sore and so does my whole breast. It feels similar to when I had a breast infection minus the fact that I haven't breastfed in over 8 years. When I walk or move my arm or turn around in bed I feel sharp shooting pains, mostly on the bottom of my breast, but sometimes on the top of my breast as well. I also have a dull ache right underneath my arm. My symptoms have been consistent for over 4 days and I am worried sick! I have an appointment with my OB in a day, so I'm trying to stay calm until then.

• jushavinfun
    jushavinfun Member Posts: 13
    Options

Hello all you beautiful ladies,

I dont have a Dx yet (playing the waiting game) I had my first mamo back in 2013 I had that done due to a lump I found. Got sent to a bigger breast cancer place and honestly got treated so bad I didn't want to go back. I felt like I was just not worth thier time. I talked with my Np at the time and she then suggested to get a lumpectomy get it out and then have it tested and we would know for sure. So in August of 2013 I had the lump removed by an area general surgeon and it came back all clear. I went in Feb of this year for my routine mamo this time it was 3D and got a call with in a couple of days that they wanted me to have an mri. Mri done with help from drugs cause unbeknownst to me I am claustrophobic so that came back as an area not a lump birads 4 in the area of my lumpectomy. They are hoping and so am I that it is scar tissue changes BUT deep down I have a feeling it is not and I am fearfull that back in 2013 they missed something. When I had the lumpectomy they did take out the right lump cause I can no longer feel it but what if that is not what the first mamo showed. In 2013 I had night sweats which are not as bad now but I can no longer use a blanket at night anymore because of them and in 2013 the whole side of my body from neck do to about my waist including right arm and under area got bigger everything on that side was bigger my husband and mother and myself both saw it then questions drs and they don't see it. I also have absolutely no motivation to do anything or go anywhere and I also in 2013 and now have to foul armpit smell. Occasionally I will run a low grade fever for no resonance and be fine the next day. On 3/17/2016 I have a mri-guided biopsy with the help again with drugs and am now waiting the results. Thank you all so much for sharing your stories and symptoms. I am really confused as what to do next if I get results back and they are B9 do I seek other opinions or do I let it go and live my life and pray it really is nothing. Some times I do feel like I am crazy or a hypochondriac and i don feel lIke i have anyone to confid or tell my fears to....but I just don't want to have it and not know. Could it just be in there growing from way back in 2013 or am I worrying over nothing? Anyone else have something like this happen to them ? Bless you all and Thank you

Update**** I now remember also having a stabbing pain in the my right shoulder blade that would just come and go so quick..it would take my breath away then gone...I have not had one of those since 2013 tho thank god those are horrible*****

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

I felt a lump when I was in the shower in my late 30's. I ran to the doctor and she said it felt like a cyst but they sent me in for a mammogram just to be sure. It turned out to be a cyst and I was told I had dense breasts which was fairly common in young women. Fast forward to age 44. I had my first mammogram and they said they saw something that wasn't in the mammo I had in my 30's. I went back for an ultra sound and again was told it was just cysts in my breasts.

I wasn't very good about getting my mammograms and I really regret that This was a slow moving grade 1 cancer and I could have had it much easier if I were more diligent. I felt a small lump in early 2011, but didn't get to the new doctor until October. She felt it and said "Meh, it is fibroid cystic". She gave me my script for the mammo, but I never went. I had a new job that was making me gobs of $$ but it took up space in my brain and on the calendar. I got us out of terrible financial stress, but nearly killed myself doing so!

I felt fine, except when I would sit or lay on the sofa - I wanted to melt into it. My Vit D was very low too. I don't have any cancer in my family let alone BC. I had my period at 13, have three kids, and I breast fed. I had a 98% chance of NOT getting breast cancer! The lump was small but hard and it didn't go away like the cysts did. I also developed an indention that went from my nipple to where the lump was about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch long. By the time I went back to the doctor, I knew I had BC.

In March of 2014 I went in and seriously thought my life was going to end. My doctors were awesome and very positive about my outcome. I did take birth control pills for over 20 years - taking time off only to have my boys. My Onco nodded when I said that may have played a part.

• sai123
    sai123 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi,

I am very new to this site

I am having chest wall pain from last 3 months and vitamin D is also lil bit low. I have only pain in chest wall some times it is radiating to shoulder and back . when i lift heavy objects pain is getting worse. I went to GYnic she examined and told everything is okay and she is not able to find any lump in physical examination, I went to ortho he told it is mussel pull and gave vitamin d supplement. Still was not convinced and again went to GP and he order a chest -xray it came back normal and my CBC work is also normal but when i am having seviour right chest pain my esr is elivated along with wbc esr is 25 and white blood cell count is 14,400 after two months it got controlled

but still i am having very lil pain. I am doing breast exam daily and continoulsy pressing my boobs

is that causing pain?

still i need to think about breast cancer?

Please suggest . My age is just 26 and having 1 year baby

• Chloesmom
    Chloesmom Member Posts: 626
    Options

Replying to a question about my post several months later. Tumor started with itching over the spot (thought it was a new bra or detergent) but turned out it was close to surface and irritating skin

Right before Mammo started to have tingling buzzing feeling in both breasts. Had mammo like clockwork but while doctor said tumor had to be growing over several years didn't show up. Did not have 3-D but would now as have dense breasts. MRI was negative in the good side but I insisted on BMX & cellular changes were starting there when we got pathology report back Dr said good thing I trusted intuition. Note ILC is harder to see on mammo

• chef127
    chef127 Member Posts: 226
    Options

I had a very large fibroadenoma in my very large breast that never showed concern on physical exam and later on my mammo's, so I took it for granted that it was the natural makeup of my breast and I had my last mammogram at the age of 50. Got my first period at 12, breast fed my 2 kids, had no family history, never suffered PMS, never used BCP or HRT so I had a false sense of security. Peri menopause did cause changes, the lump was harder and stopped reacting to hormonal changes (menses) and was always there, then a crater all around the lump developed and I still assumed it was just the nature of my breast and normal menopause changes.

Loopy

A year passed and I went to see my PCP and he questioned it (why are you looking at my cleavage). He sent me for a mammo and frankly "He saved my life". I had no intention of screening and I was shocked at my DX. I had no awareness of BC. I make sure my 28yo daughter is educated and aware of the signs of a problem in her DD's that are very dense.

Do I blame myself? kinda, sorta, in a way.

xox

• muska
    muska Member Posts: 224
    Options

This thread is about breast cancer symptoms, right? I had none whatsoever. Was feeling great when I was diagnosed at 54. Ladies, get your mammos regularly!

• tgtg
    tgtg Member Posts: 75
    Options

NONE--like Muska, above. And I always did the yearly mammo, except for my one and only gap, the 22 months between Jan. 2011 and Nov. 2012. The 1.6 cm IDC was there that November. As Muska says, "Get your mammos regularly!"

That's especially relevant advice for those of us on Medicare--we can have a gynecology check-up only every two years, but we are entitled to yearly mammos. My 22-month gap happened because my gynecologist neglected to give me two sets of mammo orders and I didn't question her because I assumed that the two-year rule applied to mammos too.

• Fleecelady
    Fleecelady Member Posts: 6
    Options

Memory loss

Lump

Fatigue. No exhaustion

Nausea

Dull headache

Weight gain

• edwards750
    edwards750 Member Posts: 1,568
    Options

I had no pain whatsoever or felt any lump but I did lose a lot of weight. I had cut out desserts so I thought that was the reason. My mother had BC at 68. Now both my sister and I have it. My sister has ILC and I have IDC. I am almost 5 years out and my sister is 4. So far, so good. Btw my sister felt a lump.

Diane

• JuniperCat
    JuniperCat Member Posts: 392
    Options

I didn't feel a lump but I did notice skin thickening in the area, and oddly, it also was itchy there.

• Overcomer1
    Overcomer1 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Thank you ALL.. This has been the most informative and helpful site I've found! I have no diagnosis right now, and find it unfathomable that this many of us have issues being taken seriously! The number of symptoms I have like yours (meaning after reading numerous posts) is crazy.. I have been to 4 doctors. I've been told I am probably stressed (and that I am the counselor, shouldn't I know hot to do?,) that I probably have a strange virus, that I should see another Dr because he didn't feel comfortable with my symptoms, and now to wait two weeks until they can get me in for a mammogram. (One more week to go) I am beyond frustrated.. It's been 10'weeks of feeling awful, with symptoms progressing over the last year. I went from 125 lbs, 3 triathlons, hunting, backpacking, etc.. To missing work to sleep, swollen and sore lymph nodes in neck, armpit, groin, jaw, chest..hard "extra bone" thing on my chest that started hurting, very tired, no appetite (full right away), diarrhea/constipation, bad sleep, night sweats, 116 lbs, irregular periods, to many more little, strange symptoms.... Unreal!!! So, I keep waiting till I can get in, and finally get somewhere, but seems crazy.

Thank you again for all the information and support. You are all Heros and I wish you the very best!!

• kelligirl3069
    kelligirl3069 Member Posts: 3
    Options

can anyone tell me if they had excessive hair loss PRIOR to bc diagnosis?

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    Options

Kelli, I have never heard of excessive hair loss prior to BC diagnosis. The only time I have heard of BC patients losing their hair is due to certain kinds of chemo. After those chemo treatments are over, their hair comes back

Hair loss in women can have several reasons. Hormones, extreme stress, etc,

Hope that helps

• reckless
    reckless Member Posts: 50
    Options

I had no symptoms at all. Moreover, 3 BS could not feel the tumor after it showed on the MRI, nor could I. I had annual mammograms for 9 years and annual breast exams. The tumor was discovered on the MRI

• kelligirl3069
    Options

thank u Marie for ur response...i think my hair loss may be the stress of waiting for my dx mammo and ultrasound...ugh. A week away and the pain is worse everyday. Idk whats wrong but i have to get to the bottom of it.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options

I am really hoping that the new posters seeking information are not using this thread as a check-off list, saying to themselves "Oh, I have that, and that, and that... it must be breast cancer!" Many thanks to those members who gently redirect them to the appropriate threads.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As for symptoms? Uh, none. Seriously. Until the big one.

To explain, I had a huge (walnut-sized) benign fibrous cyst removed at the age of 18. Never thought about it again. Then Mom was dx'd with BC when she was 60 - that was in 1983, so we had absolutely no info about the type. She had her radical UMX, had NO treatment, stayed flat, and passed at the age of 88 of other causes, still NED.

I started having annual mammograms when I was 40. I always got that cheerful postcard announcing "Congratulations! You don't have breast cancer!" But when my breasts became extremely huge, saggy, dense, fibrocystic, and felt like bags of rocks, I told my PCP to please let me have at least an ultrasound if not an MRI. I said there was no way I could palpate any lumps. My breasts were ALL lumps. He flatly refused.

Then one morning in 2011, I was sitting at the breakfast table and my nightgown felt wet. I looked down, and was bleeding from my left nipple. I had two thoughts: this is NOT good, and gee, they're almost down to my waist.

I got in to see the PCP the next day, and he diagnosed me with Paget's disease. (Stupid, stupid man. Fired him right after that.) At least I got sent to a Breast Surgeon the following day, and after seven different  diagnostic tests, I was found to have both DCIS and IDC. Only seven months earlier I had gotten one of those "NO CANCER" postcards.

The IDC was multifocal, in several places. The largest was 1.5 millimeters and the smallest was half a millimeter. That's like half a grain of rice! How would I ever be able to feel THAT?  Thank God for the bleeding.

The Radiologist - who I adored - said she could see the beginning of changes in the breast tissue as far back as two years previously. But still I got those cheery "NO CANCER" postcards.

The BS really thought it was a papilloma, but insisted on diagnostic testing to rule out BC. I'm fortunate she was so thorough.

I am now almost 5 years out, reconstructed, and cancer-free.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    Options

how many people I wonder get a false no cancer diagnosis when the dr simply doesn't want to deal with the person for whatever antipathy.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

Abigail, did you see a doctor?

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    Options

nope. the banker who turned me onto an everything ins left the company by the time I needed it, the ins the banker etc. so no dr. only one here anyway & now I've been wondering if he was here in '83 when I went up to the medical bilding hoping to get my ear flushed out & the dr I saw gave me a presctiption for an overthe counter substance which didn't work

• cubbieblue
    cubbieblue Member Posts: 15
    Options

Kelligirl3069-I was diagnosed with a form of alopecia 6 months prior to my BC diagnosis. My drs say no correlation, but I still wonder.

• kelligirl3069
    Options

Cubbieblue...my cousin is 35yrs old and she was dx with alopecia and within 6months was dx with IDC. Makes ya go hmmmmm doesnt it.

• CrawfordsMommy
    CrawfordsMommy Member Posts: 12
    Options

I think symptoms prior to diagnosis can be all over the place. I will share mine:

• I felt a small, hard, squishy but moveable lump - went to my doctor who told me it seemed benign. I have a history of cysts and fibrocystic disease. She told me to give up caffeine so I did. Stopping all caffeine did help with overall mastalgia and the lump even seemed to shrink. But after a few months, it was still there.
    • I started to have pain in that breast. Sharp, shooting pains several times per day - like others wrote here, little bee-sting pains.
    • Then one day we were having a barbecue. I was having a hard time from the pain, which was becoming more constant. I went inside and looked at it again and was shocked. The whole breast seemed to have swollen up overnight and the breast contour was completely wrong. I won't lie - this wasn't my imagination, this thing was really starting to hurt. I told my husband to come look. He felt the lump, jerked his hand away like it was a hot coal, and said FOR GOD'S SAKE SEE THE DOCTOR.
    • I saw the doctor who sent me STRAIGHT away for a mammogram this time. Like, I walked out of her office, drove down the road to the place where they do mammos and ultrasounds. My nipple had become swollen and was starting to invert. There was now a dent in my breast, surrounded by swelling. They did a thorough diagnostic mammo and ultrasound and I was so glad I got it done!

As it turns out, I had a malignant tumor growing just below the skin beneath and inside the nipple. (Not a candidate for nipple-sparing surgery!)

So overall, I DID have the symptom of pain on the cancer side, as well as nipple inversion, swelling, change in breast contour, and dimpling (eventually). If I and my doctor had been more diligent at that first appointment, we would have caught and treated that nasty cancer much earlier before it even caused any pain. Mammograms may seem like an inconvenience, but looking back, I wish I'd gotten mine sooner! As it stands, I'm very glad I didn't wait too long to go back to the doctor about it.

• mustlovepoodles
    mustlovepoodles Member Posts: 1,248
    Options

I was diagnosed in July 2015. I had no symptoms whatsoever. In fact, my PCP performed a full manual breast exam 3 WEEKS prior to my routine mammogram and she didn't find a thing. My tumor was 1.8cm, the size of a small cherry, located high up in the breast and almost under my armpit. My guess is that it had been there a couple years, but just never was captured by the mammo plates due to its location, until it got big enough to cast a shadow.

• Nicolebabb26
    Nicolebabb26 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had a hysterectomy last October and recently I'm having some abnormal feelings in my breasts. It feels like a lot of little bumps, I believe they call this "dense"? My lymph nodes especially on the left side under my armpit is very painful, like a sharp stabbing pain. The doctor mentioned that my left breast is bigger than my right and because there is a family history I had a mammogram and an ultrasound done a few days ago. I am so worried but can't help think the worst. Any advice or if any ladies have had something similar please reply.

Thank you

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,052
    Options

Dear Nicolebabb26,

We are sorry for your breast changes and the accompanying worry. Please keep us posted on what you learn. We are glad that you reached out here and hope you can find some support. The Mods

• SincitySue
    SincitySue Member Posts: 1
    Options

kelligirl, in response to your question: Did anyone have excessive hair loss prior to diagnosis? I did. In fact, my hairdresser commented on it. Said she had only seen that happen once before in her career & that woman, too, was later diagnosed with breast cancer. I was ER/PR + so always thought maybe the disruption in hormones caused the hair loss? Just my take on it

• HelenWNZ
    HelenWNZ Member Posts: 404
    Options

I didn't have any pain initially but when I think back it always was uncomfortable when I lay down on "that" side. And as time progressed my lumps did hurt when any pressure was put on them - mainly by me checking to see if they had gone yet!! Which of course they didn't just got bigger.