Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• llsstzf
    llsstzf Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi clb, is the surgeon you are using in Denver?

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited June 2012
    Options

Sorry if this is not acceptable.....but would it be possible to post some pics (or link to pics) so that we might see what the BRAVA entails? Mind is boggling at this stage!

I was contemplating DIEP, but really not keen on the lengthy surgery.As I had unimast, would it look really ridiculous to have one cone only (ie one big and one small boob) while awaiting the AFT?

Thanks in advance.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited June 2012
    Options

Here's a page which shows the Brava:

http://www.miamibreastcenter.com/brava-breast-enhancement

• clb052975
    clb052975 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi everyone.  I have not posted for a few days, not because anything is wrong but just because I have been busy.  I am still pumping overnight and that is the best time.  For one thing you are not moving around and so the domes stick better and it does make the time go by faster.  I have finding that a pillow under your knees makes sleeping much more comfortable.  I am still having an issue with skin irritation but I keep the aloe vera and soverign silver on throughout the day which helps.  I will pump, as long as it is ok with my Dr. through Wednesday night, letting my chest rest on Thursday night and then have lipo on Friday. 

I have been asked to document through the surgery and I will absolutely do that.  I want to be able to describe my procedure in case it will help someone else.  This journey is new for me but for lots of other also.  

I have also been asked to share the name of my Dr. and of course I will.  He is Dr. Michael Bateman and he is located in Denver.  I think everyone thinks their Dr. is the best, but I must say that through two expander infections and a port infection, he has never given up.  He could have walked away and said "sorry but there is nothing else I can do" and he never once has said that.  

I firmly believe that this is the wave of the future and other than the skin irritation, this is not uncomfortable.  Please remember though that this pumping is without nipples so I describe it as the same pumping you feel with breat milk however that, to me, is worse because of the nipples.

I will talk to you soon.

• brcamomof2
    brcamomof2 Member Posts: 42
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thank you for posting the name of your surgeon. Is he part of the BRAVA clinical trial so that we can add his name to the database? So glad it is going so well!

• dancetrancer
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Glad to hear you are doing well clb!  Is the skin irritation near the edges of the rims where the ruffles itch the skin?  If so, I used strips of silicone underneath the edges and it helped SO much with the edges.  The brand I used was Biodermis.  I bought it by the square and just cut off whatever I needed, slipped it under the rim edge where it was itching...ahhhh..relief!  Are you moisturizing your skin throughout the day, several times, too?  That makes a big difference as well. 
  • PLJ
    PLJ Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2012
    Options

lisdehart,

Neopec is currently in clinical trial with humans. It involves the placement of a biodegradable chamber within the breast pocket, along with some fat stem cells and veins to nourish. Over time, the fat cells fill the chamber which eventually breaks down and the result is a warm, soft, sensate breast. You can read about it here: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/stories/2010/breast-reconstruction/

There are a few other sites which outline the details of Neopec, which has been successful in clinical trials with pigs. I have had communication with one of their lead reasearchers who feels that it will be a few more years before it becomes widely available. Fingers crossed...

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Liz.  I don't think he is part of the clinical trial.  He is new (I think he has one other patient with the brava). 

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited June 2012
    Options

@plj, interesting link about Neopec, and sounds as if it would be much easier (from a patient's viewpoint) than the Brava domes, and as if the surgery and recovery would not be as tough as what I've heard about the early stages of recovery from flap surgeries (which is what I am leaning toward). I wonder how long before it is approved in the US. I don't want to wait several years for reconstruction.

• PLJ
    PLJ Member Posts: 65
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi curveball,

They are only a few years into the human trial and while things appear to be going well, their main concern is to see whether any rogue cells are restimulated into growth. From what I have been told, it will still be a few more years for them to determine safety. It takes 6-8 months to grow a Neopec breast so I would imagine in three more years they'll have their answers. I don't like waiting for recon either and at times, I wonder if it would have been easier if I'd just gone ahead with the implants. At the end of the day though, I know in my heart that implants were not for me and I have some reservations about the multiple surgical procedures of microfat grafting (anaesthetic exposure) so I guess I will have to remain flat until a viable alternative becomes available. Some days, I really miss my breasts!

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

To PLJ.....We all do.  And it has nothing to do with vanity.....Good luck on your journey

• brcamomof2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Am I the only one that thought the BRAVA domes were only mildly difficult?

Perhaps it's the 82% retention with BRAVA compared to 55% without that made it easier.

• kriserts
    kriserts Member Posts: 61
    edited June 2012
    Options

Sweetbean, your question about is there's room for fat if you had implants prior ... I have implants and am replacing with fat grafting. I think the answer is yes/no/maybe. :) They do the FG in stages, so you can step down to a smaller size implant, and then smaller again, each time with fat grafting, but my doc still wants me to wear the domes. The domes aren't just about making space for the fat, they're about prepping the area with a blood supply and making the shape right, from what I've come to understand. Doc has also told me she can do FG with no domes, but it would be more proceedures, and she's pushing me to use the domes, I don't think she has as much faith FG without them.

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154
    edited June 2012
    Options

Lizdehart - I'm hoping for mildly difficult. I will start in about 2 weeks. I'm 12 days out from a bmx w the first phase of grafting and so far I'm very happy. He fills the tops and cleavage first. It looks real enough for me to question did they really take all breast tissue.

Yes - technology will improve, but I'm thrilled that this option is available. I am prepared that the brava will be uncomfortable. I've been uncomfortable for 6 months. Lumpectomy, Axillary node disection, chemo, hot flashes ...bmx recovery. I can stick it out a few more months.

• dancetrancer
    edited June 2012
    Options

lizdehart - for me they were time consuming (when you are pumping) and initially a challenge to get up to speed on how to use them and manage the itching/skin issues, but I would have not done it ANY other way!!! So worth the fat retention!   And after I got up to speed (first week was hard) and and learned how to sleep with them on, it just became part of my daily routine.  It's not like they hurt.  If they do, you are doing something wrong, IMO, or you've developed a more significant skin breakdown issue.  The suction itself is completely painless. 

faithhopenluv, this is a breeze compared to chemo!  

• curveball
    curveball Member Posts: 1,583
    edited June 2012
    Options

@lizdehart, maybe the domes are only mildly difficult...I've never used them, so I don't know. The Neopec sounds as if it is all done in a single procedure, or a series of separate procedures, and would not require a daily commitment over a period of weeks as use of the Brava domes does. I always think something you do all at once and get it over with, is easier than something that requires an ongoing effort.

• brcamomof2
    edited June 2012
    Options

I agree that the Neopec sounds intriguing but BRAVA + AFT is the best there is now.

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

Ok so here goes the yadda yadda for today.  I have been in touch with the brava coach and we are going to give my chest a rest tonight from the irritation.  She did tell me to use aloe vera instead of the no sting wipes tomorrow night (just a dab will do ya) and to use Aveeno body wash in the morning when I take my shower.  She would also like me to wear the domes to the hospital for my surgery on Friday.  She is terrific in giving advice and sorry girls but I still think this is much better than the hard as a rock expnaders.  Now that I am using them overnight I am getting used to sleeping on my back.  Anyone that will be doing brava should start trying to sleep on their backs prior to getting the domes.  It will make life a little easier.  We will see how the lipo goes on Friday but other than the fact that cancer sucks, life really is not so bad.  Just getting the little bit of boobs (which really are not boobs) has given me a new outlook on life.  Maybe this is because my concave chest everyday reminded me of CANCER.....Hope you all are in a good place and are doing well.

• brcamomof2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Friday? Must be exciting! :)

• dancetrancer
    edited June 2012
    Options

Excited for you to be nearing surgery Friday clb!  Are you stepping up to 24 hour wear starting tomorrow?  My doc had me go to 24 hour wear for 3 days prior to surgery (minus a 2 hour break for shower, etc.).  

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi dancetrance.  No I am doing the 10 hour before and wearing them to check in to the hospital.  This is a "lets get her somewhat even" lipo.  The will be putting some in my chest but I need to have some of the rolls removed from under my arm so the brava will stick better.  Then six weeks out will be the 24 hour thing.  i am very excited to start this process.  Thanks for your good wishes.

• dancetrancer
    edited June 2012
    Options

Aha!  I understand now.  Cool! 

• EileenT
    EileenT Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Just found this thread and am so relieved after finding a support group of wise women who have gone before me :-) I just met with the PS today and tried on the domes prior to scheduling my BMX. I was psyched after meetingwith the GS that I could have a skin sparing mastectomy only to become very deflated (pun not intended but maybe freudian!) that the PS needs to make me "as flat as this counter" in order for the results to be maximized. I know I am making the right decision but still feeling like I would like to run away from...where?! The cancer will run with me. sigh. Thank God for humor and courageous women to share the journey with. Thanks soooo much for sharing your experiences. I will do the same when I get my turn. Surgery should happen in the next couple of weeks.

• brcamomof2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Who is your PS, EileenT? I had bilateral skin/ nipple sparing mastectomy and am using BRAVA. As long as there is not excess skin from very pendulous breasts there should be no problem.

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

Eileen please let us know how it is going.  Don't forget to "keep us in the loop".  I am on dome holiday tonight as the brava coach has advised me to take a break and give my skin a chance to heal.  She has me using Aveeno cream and coconut oil mixed together for my chest.  I will resume the regiment tomorrow night and will wear the domes to the hospital on Friday morning.  I have to say that my brava coach is not good she is terrific. 

I have done all my shopping and prescription filling and so I am ready for Friday and tonight I will just enjoy sleeping on my side and having the dogs back in bed with us.  BTW that is a husband, two golden retrievers and me in a queen size bed.  You can bet if someone gets kicked out it won't be me.

Talk to you soon, stay well y'all.

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited June 2012
    Options

to respond-the bra from her room--has helped quite a bit.  Darlene did not really recommend brava over the implants. While I have eliminated much of the skin irritation from the brava domes--I do not feel comfortable after about 6 hours.  Perhaps the 6 hours will help with both shape  anda circulation.  I will try to increase the hours before my next fatgrafting surgery.  If not--am hoping to do it in 4 surgeries instead of three. 

I purchased the old wipes online--and use these wipes in areas where it it difficult to get suction. for me they give much better suction--aloe life skin gel does not adhere quite as well.

In addition--I am thinking that perhaps when the implants are totally removed --it will be easier to wear the brava domes.  I can see how brava shapes the tissue--and how it conditions my skin inside the domes.

Best of luck on your upcoming surgery.  Wish my doctor was not on vacation.  Would have wanted to have additional fatgrafting in july as the first round did wonders for me.  Healing was uneventful.  Best of luck.  Eileen

• EileenT
    EileenT Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hi Lizdehart,

My PS is Dr Robert Feins in Manchester NH. He went to Dr Khouri's training. I'm not certain exactly how many AFT's he has done except the term "several". I do know that he has an excellent reputation and has been a PS for 30 years. I would prefer to leave the OR with at least small breast mounds and hope for a possible nipple sparing on the left. My breasts are a size 34 B/C, certainly not pendulous.

• brcamomof2
    edited June 2012
    Options

Eileen, hope you can have that skin sparing and wish you a great outcome!

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited June 2012
    Options

Was finally able to  achieve an 8 hour nite.  The expansion is already visible--love the way the tissues look and feel inside the domes.--that is quite an incentive.  Perhaps-Dr. Ahn--felt it was best for me to become accustomed to Brava prior to the hand pump expansion.    Anyway--pleased with progress.  Eileen

• clb052975
    edited June 2012
    Options

Hey everyone.  I am back.  Went back on the domes using aloe vera instead  of the no sting wipes but I could not get a good suction.  So, I went back to the no sting wipes.  Look, after all of the infections and cancer I just think I can get through some skin irritation.  When I take them off in the morning I am using aveeno and coconut oil and that feels so good against my skin.  I will put them on again tonight and then tomorrow morning I will be wearing them to the hospital for the lipo......so "I am off to see the wizard the wonderful wizard of boobs".  Talk to you real soon.  I am now signing off from

DOMEVILLE........