Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2013
    Options

Best of luck goodrhue!  If I have to have another surgery I will probably opt for the turbo. 

I had the boob cast after both post grafting surgeries (I didn't have it with the initial one in conjunction with my bmx). There's like a sticky adhesive that goes on first then then is this mesh plastic that they mold on top.  They will heat it in boiling water to softner it and then shape it around your breasts.  It helps make sure they keep their shape while they heal.  Personally, I'd rather wear the brava.  It drove me crazy to not be able to take it off, and after a bit it has this funky smell.  But, I've heard everyone is different and some would much rather have it than the domes.  I also hated not being able to see, I think with everything in this process watching something heal has been mentally good for me.  To keep it hidden for the 2 weeks was tough.  And note I say 2 weeks, because they said that was the minimum and I took it off on day 14 -they'd prefer if we keep it on longer.  If you can do the domes, you can handle the boob cast :) 

• goodrhue
    goodrhue Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    Options

Thanks dancetrancer and faithhopeandlove!

I've been wearing the BRAVA now since Dec 27th and my first procedure is this Friday 1/29.  I've had a few nights when my skin got really irritated but it does get better the next day, or at least get no worse.  The turbo is GREAT - even though expensive.  It was really hard for me to wake up early enough to do the hand pumping before getting ready for work so I like that's it's all automatic now.  I'm using coconut oil, aloe gel, calendula gel and the BRAVA moisutizer.  I'll be interested to see if he has me use the BRAVA or gives me the "cast" after this first one.

• faithhopenluv
    edited February 2013
    Options

Goodrhue - hope your surgery went well and you are recovering comfortably :)

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited February 2013
    Options

Going to have my third surgery February 20 with total implant removal.  Went from a 410 to 213cc to 120cc--Presently mild discomfort.  So good, so far--all has gone well.  Still have some discomfort from the implant.  Took quite some time--but I am finally accustomed to the Brava--Guess I worked the kinks out.  Pumping.  Going well.  To all others--if you are having a problem with brava--stick with it.  You may come up with good solutions for skin irritations.  It is definitely worth it.  That's my thought.  Eileen

• jeul
    jeul Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

if anyone has any more information about what to expect on the next leg of this journey, please let me know. i am on my fourth day of BRAVA use after a BMX in early December, all with Dr. K, he is sheer geniusSmile!, and i'm so glad i discovered him. after struggling with the domes, i think i've finally got it... putting them on and off, and lasting so far only 7 hours or so in the night. i will build up to 10 soon and then start the cycling.

my next AFT surgery is scheduled for March 15th. when using the turbo machine, on it for 22 out of 24 hours as i understand, is it a large machine that you roll around with you? how do you not go CRAZY from being hooked on for three days straight?! i can hardly wait as it is to get those things off me after only 6 hours! will i need to ask for tranqulizers just to make it through those last days? i'm already so anxious about each next step, even though i know the worst is over.

and what is the cast/splint about? is it heavy on your body? can you go out with it? does it itch? can i make a long car ride while in it? i was told to wear it for as long as possible, the longer the better, from 2 to even 6 weeks... however long it sticks.

anyone with any insights or hints about BRAVA wear, getting through the nights, reducing the itchiness of the membrane surrounding the domes, the upcoming turbo and splints.... i would so much appreicate it!

i'm new to all of this, the diagnosis and BMX were all quite a shock... but i'm grateful to have found this least invasive and most natural treatment with such a caring and brilliant physician, Dr. K.  now i'm just overanxious about all the BRAVA tomorrows....

ps: fyi, a moisturizing mixture of aveeno moisturizing lotion and coconut oil, one to one, post BRAVA-use is amazing.

thanks!

jeul

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited February 2013
    Options

Jeul,

I recommend you check out all the details on fatgraftpatients.com.  So much info is there!  I don't have time to share all that I know, but you can see everything written there if you look through the Brava tips, stories, etc.  My full story is there as well. 

Good luck!!!!  

• 2miraclesmom
    2miraclesmom Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have a question you might be able to answer. What are "sensate" breast? lol They talk about it over there and does this system really help some of the feeling come back? TIA!

• MiamiBC
    MiamiBC Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    Options

A sensate breast is one with feeling (sensation), especially sexual sensation. Some fat graft patients report having feeling return to their breasts after the nerves had been cut during mastectomy.  "Sensate DIEP", lat flap and other flap recons can be done where the nerves are reattached to help regain feeling in the breast.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited February 2013
    Options

It does help you get sensation back, but the amount varies from person to person.  I have sensation in oh I'm guessing maybe 80% to 90% of the skin in my breasts, but none right along my scar line on my full MX side, and none in my spared nipple on my other MX side.  I only had 2 grafts, though, before further cancer treatment interrupted my recon.  Some find the sensation continues to improve after additional grafts. Some report return of sensation even when fat grafting is done years after surgery, which is pretty amazing (they are really fortunate!).   However I know others who have gone through the whole process and still don't have sensation in their spared nipples/aerola.  

So essentially - YES, fat grafting can allow you keep nipple and skin sensation, but not in all cases.  It is very variable, but if you are lucky and get it back, it is a great benefit of the procedure.  

• 2miraclesmom
    2miraclesmom Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    Options

I had my DIEP done in Sept of 2011. I have very little feeling, however it is getting better. I have had two fat grafting procedures and am kind of happy with the results. lol My legs look awesome! I have only retained about 20% of the grafting. My radiated side looks really good too, but the other side did not take so well. My dr does not recommend the BRAVA procedure but will do it if I really want her to. Right now, I am almost out of fat. We both agree we might be able to get two more small ones done or one medium one. I have known all along that I wanted an implant and that is still the game plan. No expanders, just straight implant. (I also had skin/nipple sparing surgery) So if I did the BRAVA it really would be for the chance that it might give me more feeling and to help lessen the chance of capsular contraction. My surgeon does think that the chance of it is not that great anyway because my radiated side has alway done really good. I just do not know what to do at this point. I know I will never have all of the feeling back in my breasts, but I would like any and every chance to have as much as I can. 

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi. I am presently in the process of totally removing an old implant for a breast created from fat grafting. Brava use is a must. It was quite difficult in the beginning. It took effort to work the kinks out. I am now used to the technique. I do have some feeling in my reconstructed breast. My fat grafted breast is starting to look quite natural. Had discomfort from my implant. Went from a 410 implant to a 213 with fat grafting, next to a 120cc with fat grafting Every surgery has made quite a difference in terms of discomfort, cosmetics--and of course my legs look great. I seem to heal quite rapidly--must be a traumatic--as as I immediately look forward to the next surgery. At my next surgery on February 20 fat will be taken from my waist and inner thighs. Must say that I look forward to being implant free---as it always feels tight. Will let you know if sensation increases. Eileen

• OnlyOneATX
    OnlyOneATX Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I am so glad I found this string! I just heard about BRAVA yesterday for the first time by a PS for a second opinion about a possible DIEP flap reconstruction. The PS said I would not be that happy with the results because I don't have enough skin/fat to make two breasts and I won't any additional scarring.

The PS said I would be a good candidate for BRAVA because the suction would help heal the car tissue I have from have a bilateral mastectomy w/TE recon. I then had to have the TEs removed because they independently became infected. At the point of those surgeries I had already been through two rounds of chemo and my blood counts were extremely low so nothing was healing. That said, I have A LOT of scar tissue.

I'm curious to know if anyone has seen pics of long term success? Does the fat stay or will it dissipate in 3, 5 or 10 years?

Also, are he majority of you seeing Dr. K? Or are you going to a local PS trained by Dr. K? My PS was trained by Dr. K but I read somewhere that no one is getting the results that he does? How often are you flying to Miami?

Glad to hear there is another option that doesn't involve having a major surgery on another body part!

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hi-I would recommend the. Www.fatgraftpatients website for a list of PS doing fat grafting. I am not using Dr. K. -and I believe that quite a few PS are getting excellent long term results. Several patients tell their stories on the website. I think that you will find it quite helpful. Let us know you are doing. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I am in the last weekend of brava wear--the hardest weekend requiring the most hours--so bored as My activities are currently restricted. Surgery is on February 20. I barely have the hours available to get my chores done. Clb-would like to know how things have finalized for you. Would like to hear from anyone at a similar stage of reconstruction. I will be having my implant totally removed. Hoping the tightness will be gone. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Implant was removed on Wednesday. My Ps said I had extensive scar tissue, excessive scars from the capsule. It was difficult to remove. She said I had much reason for pain, and that I should be pain-free. Cosmetically --it looked better with the implant, but she feels that this can be corrected with my next fat grafting. Presently have drains due to implant removal. Will start brava in 2weeks. Hopefully the look will improve with brava wear. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Quite fatigued. Indentation from implant removal is starting to fill out. Looks slightly better, but needs extensive work. Cannot wait to have drains removed--Wednesday. Cannot wait to use brava so that I can pull indentation out. Do not feel any pain from old scar tissue, and from capsule. PS was right. I should be pain free. No more iron-bra feeling. Cannot wait for next surgery, so that my cosmetics will improve. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Nurse changed the dressing. Breast is coming up. Looking much better.So excited. Eileen

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks everyone for this information. After nearly three months of surgeries, infections, wound vacs, blood transfusions and even respiratory failure, my DIEP Flap reconstructed breast was removed and I'm heading to the PS this week to discuss (and hopefully start the procedure) for the BRAVA fat transfer.

The PS says he can match me DIEP Flap constructed other breast. I hope so. I will be following this thread.

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Hopeful--so sorry you are having such a difficult time with reconstruction. Fat grafting is the route I am taking after having painful implant reconstruction. Would like to get an update from other members who have pursued fat grafting. Stories, updates had been so helpful in the past. Eileen

• hopeful24
    edited February 2013
    Options

Yes, Eileen, I can't even begin to tell you. Almost died 3x and have been hospitalized quite a bit. I was told this was going to be easy, but now I'm hearing about 10 hours a day of machines (I'm already hooked up to a wound vac because my stomach incision didn't heal right) and it taking 9 months. 

I guess I'm going to have to get some specifics from my doc about exactly what is needed for my case. I've been told be everyone that the skin and muscle is good, but it's not quite enough to make a breast equal to what I have so it will need to be stretched. Hopefully, not that much!

Marcia

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

I found brava wear to be a chore--but definitely not a health risk. I am a good candidate for Diep, but being in the medical field was fearful of complications. Fat grafting is definitely an easier post-opt recovery. Will be going back to brava in one week. Not fun, but can be handled. Would still like to hear from members who have had total reconstruction with fat grafting. Thanks, Eileen

• hopeful24
    edited February 2013
    Options

Me too. I've checked a couple of forums with no luck. Everyone is either "filling in" or going from implants to BRAVA. Despite the fact that there's all this talk about how good BRAVA is for starting from scratch with no breast or expanding done, I haven't found anyone who has done it.

I will let you know if I come up with anything!

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Feeling a little stronger today, but still fatigued. Hoping to check in at work tomorrow. Breast is depressed at point where implant was removed. Hoping it can be filled in at next fat grafting.Breast is distorted. Hoping this can be corrected at next surgery. Eileen

• faithhopenluv
    edited February 2013
    Options

Eileen and hopeful, I had a BMX in June with immediate fat grafting and 2 surgeries since then. Happy to share that 1) I wore a bikini on Saturday and it looked perfectly normal and 2) saw my oncologist today who looked at them and said WOW. It was the best option for me for certain. Good luck to both of you!

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited February 2013
    Options

For the first time ever, I started questioning my decision to have immediate recon with TEs and implants.

I'm six months out from exchange, and am still having that Iron Bra feeling. I never felt the "ahhhh" relief from having my TEs swapped out for saline implants. I still feel like I have a very tight band around my chest, which is from the extensive pocket work done at the time of my exchange. 

I am stitched completely around each pocket to prevent migration of the implants. 

I've found an awesome myfascial release therapist, and we're working on that, as well as some other pain issues in my left (cancer side) breast. The MFR therapist is trying to loosen up my pectoral, anterior serratus, and trapezius muscles. 

For some reason I always thought that the Brava method and fat grafting were only applicable to women who had that in conjunction with their MXs. 

But thanks to this thread, and the references to Dr. Khouri's site, I realize he also does implant removal. I read a testimony from a woman who had similar issues to mine, and he removed her large implants, started fat grafting, inserted a smaller implant, then filled in around it with more fat.

(Think of a down pillow with a foam core!!! Laughing )

I have no idea if this would alleviate my problems, but it was worth a shot.

Today I sent him an email describing my situation, and asking for his opinion.

Thanks, Ladies, for giving me this additional info!!!

• EileenKaye1
    edited February 2013
    Options

Faith-thanks for your response. Total fat grafting has worked so well for you. Good to hear about your success. Total reconstruction in three fat grafting surgeries--no implant, completely natural. Congrat's on your bikini wear.

Blessings--I also suffered that iron bra feeling. Had my implant changed several times--of course this added to the scar tissue. Recently I Had my implant removed in steps with fat grafting. At my last surgery, I insisted that pain relief was essential, and I wanted the scar tissue removed. This necessitated opening up.the incision line. Fat grafting does not take in the incision area.The pain is finally gone. I have had a cosmetic set-back due to this issue. Will have it filled in with additional fat grafting at my next surgery. My case is difficult, due to complications from past surgeries. It will take a little longer, but I am finally pain-free.Hoping I can get the cosmetics that I want. This is all fairly new. If not, I will update in a few years when things are more advanced. Eileen

• hopeful24
    edited February 2013
    Options

Thanks, faithhopenluv. Very good to hear. I've been through a lot over the last two months and to end up without a breast after all those surgeries is difficult. The PS says the breasts will match and I will be back in that bikini when it's all done, but it seems so far away!

• EileenKaye1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Update: Discomfort from the implant is resolving. Completed PT and flexibility has improved.

Breast cosmetics looks better than at post-opt, as implant removal left a defect. Feel so much better about myself, about life. Will continue with brava wear in 1.5 weeks. This should bring out the defect, and also improve cosmetics. So pleased with my results, so far. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Update. 2.5 weeks post-opt. Breast continues to improve in cosmetics. Pain continues to diminish. PS said full results on discomfort should take 3-4 weeks. Practicing recommendations from PT.Range of motion is close to normal. So pleased with my results to date. Will start Brava in one week. Next surgery should be the big one for symmetry.

So far, fat grafting has been the right choice for me. Eileen

• EileenKaye1
    edited March 2013
    Options

Would like to hear from others who are undergoing fat grafting, or completed fat grafting.

It has certainly changed my life for the better.  After 16 years, was finally able to feel normal over the weekend.  Pain is gone.  While I have a defect--to be filled in at my next surgery--it is easy to hide.  Clothes look great, as my PS has totally recontoured my waist and legs.  For the first time in 16 years, I forgot I had cancer.  Tend to think that when my BR is completed with fat grafting--that I will finally be able to return to a more normal life.  Eileen