Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2012
    Options

clb--disappointing to read that even with use of the brava--much of your fatgrafting did not take.  I  certainly had greater hopes with brava use.    Perhaps I missed it--but who is your plastic surgeon.  Dr. Ahn says that only 100-125-150 cc can take at a time.

Do not think I will ever be able to use brava as consistantly as you do.  Perhaps will go to a smaller implant with fatgrafting instead of total fatgrafting for my next surgery. Keep in touch, eileen

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    edited July 2012
    Options

Y'all keep in mind that you will not keep all the swelling you had after surgery.  That's b/c a good portion of it is just that - swelling!  I remember reading that if you want to be say a B cup, you need to be a C cup size right after surgery - that includes swelling and fat.  You will shrink back to a B - yes, some may be fat loss, but I believe most of it is the swelling goes down. 

• EileenKaye1
    EileenKaye1 Member Posts: 166
    edited July 2012
    Options

dancetrancer--I think that I maintained most of the fat from fatgrafting(without brava--but with reduction of implant size)  Could be that my swelling was minimal.  Thanks for the input.  eileen

• brcamomof2
    brcamomof2 Member Posts: 42
    edited July 2012
    Options

Yup, I was definitely a full size bigger a week after the last graft than I am now.

• faithhopenluv
    faithhopenluv Member Posts: 154
    edited July 2012
    Options

Hi clb! hope you are still doing well on the Brava.  I thought I'd add some input from my experience.  I just finished my 4th night and made it up to 9 hours last night. I am getting better at creating the seal, or at least being able to feel more quickly that I've placed them on correctly.  There's not much that it more frustrating to wait 10+ minutes to start all over.  I'd love to meet the lady in the video that gracefully puts it all together. 

So far my skin is holding up ok, it's sensitive when I first take them off by evening I'm doing ok.  I have been able to sleep fairly well, but wake up a couple times a night.  I can't really blame the brava - I used to get the best sleep, fell asleep easily and if I woke up I could go back to sleep easily.  Since Nov with the surgeries, the port installation, chemo fatigue, hot flashes....etc I'm normally up a coulple times a night anyway.

I am seeing progress and that makes it much easier to push on through.  My situation is different, i had my first graft during the BMX surgery.  I have fat that has taken around the edges and the brava is making the most difference in the centers where I have folds of skin.  The folds are popping out a bit.

• clb052975
    clb052975 Member Posts: 42
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi everyone....I have had a few weeks off from the brava but I am getting ready to resume the procedure starting this Thursday.  I have to say it has been nice being off them for awhile but I am anxious to get started again.  My skin has cleared up and I have ordered new domes as the other ones have broken down.  I will be doing three weeks of pumping before more lipo.  17 days of 10 to 12 hours and then the last three days before surgery it will be 24 hours.  This is the heavy pumping which is also with the hand pump.  I still have some breast outline and my doctor is very pleased with the results of the first grafting.  Of course I need to make it worse by selling, and buying a new house and moving a week after surgery.  I figure that if something does not kill you then it will make you better.  Thanks goodness we are having movers.

So until Thursday, everyone take care and to faithhopenluv just hang in there. 

• faithhopenluv
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi clb,

I'm glad your skin has healed and you enjoyed your break.  I have a trip planned to Boston a week after my surgery so I'm there with you.  I really, really want my life back after this past year and anything I can manage I'm going to do.  I didn't take many pain meds at all after the first surgery, so worse case I'll be popping some aleve that weekend.

I'm doing great (all things considered).  I've gotten much more efficient with putting the domes on and average about 10.5 hours a night.  I can get in 12 hours on the weekends and most weekdays I can do 10 or 11, but I've had 3 nights in 16 days of 8 hours. (see line 1 above - I really want my life back!)  My BRAVA time is on the long side of 7 weeks because of scheduling conflicts so I'm doing the best I can to balance the time in between.

How did your intial domes break down?  Did you have a fair amount of warning?  One of mine has a spot where a bit of the goop is pealing.  I know I did it, it was curled under and I tried to straighten it without releasing the suction.  I'm tempted to order a back-up and donate it to Dr. Khouri's office for someone that needs it if I don't.  Is that crazy thinking?

• clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi Faith.....No you are not crazy and I think it is a good idea for you to donate your domes.  I am donating mine to my plastic surgeon.  I want him to eventually have all of the different sizes so that women will be fitted correctly.  I know this is a long procedure, but expanders also are a long procedure and they hurt.  Other than the skin irration these really don't hurt.  I understand about wanting to get your life back to somewhat normal (after cancer is it ever really normal or is it a new normal) but we humans have to practice the art of patience.  Not an easy thing.  I am so thankful that I have a plastic surgeon that, like me, refuses to give up.  I just want a bit of my chest back so I don't think of cancer whenever I get dressed or change clothing.  

My domes broke down, I am sure, because of the heat and trying to keep a suction.  As with anything new, we sometimes overdue things.  I did order a new pair.  Oh and by the way, I did get my insurance to at least apply the brava system to my out of network deductable.  

Take care, keep in touch and know that they are a bunch of us out there for support.  Life will be better, I just know it. 

• kareenie
    kareenie Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2012
    Options

Faithhopenluv - ask your surgeon if it's OK to take Aleve; I think Tylenol is preferred both before and after surgery due to blood thinning properties of ibuprofen.

• faithhopenluv
    edited August 2012
    Options

very good point!..I will :)

• clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options

Hi everyone.....Back on the domes last night and it went well.  Just a mind set going from being able to sleep and which way to having to stay on your back.  I keep reminding myself though that Rome was not built in a day and neither is breast reconstruction.  Cancer is terrible but sometimes you just don't think about how much it can take over your life.  I am bound and determined however to beat this.  

I ordered new domes and used them last night.  They had a lot of sticky on them so it was easy to put them on.  Once the domes start to breakdown it becomes harder and harder to get a good seal.  I now start my three weeks of heavy pumping before my next lipo.  I am looking forward to that.  Everyday I am feeling stronger and stronger after the chemo.  It has been a year and I am finally getting to the place that I don't feel worn out so quickly.  I am going to watch my skin very carefully and try to get through this without any skin issues.  

Hope everyone is doing well.  I will blog tomorrow and let you know how things are going. 

• clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options
    So I am on day 2 now of hand pumping in order to get ready for surgery.  Hot flashes do not help.....I did find that the domes have more stick when they are new and so having them stay in place has not been a problem.  I am however up at 430 in the morning.  This may have to do with the domes (comfort) as well as we are getting ready to move.  So much on my mind.  Skin, so far, has been ok.  One thing I know.  As you use the domes they get easier to handle.  Just like learning to ride a bike.  See you tomorrowSmile
  • clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options

Ok so I have not been on for awhile.  Mostly that means that everything is going well.  I am doming (new word) everyday for 10 to 12 hours, at night, in order to get ready for my next surgery which will be on August 31.  Trying to get our house boxed up and ready for our move on September 6,7,8.  

This go round with the domes has been not to bad.  Still getting skin irritation but usually by the time I am ready to put them back on at night, the irritation is much better.  I am using soverign silver gel and I do think that helps the irritation.  Also using coconut oil and aveeno lotion.  I hate to say it but I might be getting used to the domes at night.  Scary thought.

I am looking forward to the surgery (taking from my stomach) and I do have to say that having boobs again (even little ones) has been well worth the struggle.

I promise I will be better about blogging in the future. 

• clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options

Been a few days and I have to say that this go round has been easier than the last.  I think that the domes are more sticky and I am also trying to keep my skin in good condition.  I take them off in the morning and wash with Aveeno Body Wash, then apply a coast of Soverign Silver Gel (you can order it at Amazon), then a coat of virgin coconut oil, and last a coat of Aveeno Intensive Care Cream.  I am not saying I don't still have some irritation, but I don't have any sores.  I am currently pumping for 10 to 12 hours and starting on the 29th I will be pumping for 24 hours until my surgery at 8:30 on the 31st.  

This is a long process but it has its rewards.  I have definition on my chest and no infections.  WooHoo.

I will be back soon.  Hope y'all are doing well.  Please let me know 

• clb052975
    edited August 2012
    Options

I am off tomorrow for my second round of lipo.  This go round with the brava domes has not been to bad.  Hard the last two days wearing them 24 hours but I am hoping that the end result will be worth it.  Talk to you all tomorrow or Saturday to let you know how I am doing.

• clb052975
    edited September 2012
    Options

Home after fat graft #2.  Now time will tell as to how much fat sticks (literaly) around.  Sore but still not bad.  Back on the soft pumping with the brava today for 72 hours, then 12 to 14 for the next 4 days and then a breather with no brava until three weeks before the next surgery which hopefully will be in November.

Life is not to bad. 

• faithhopenluv
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am less than a week away from graft #2, and I'm getting excited.  Many of the folds have popped, there is still one stubborn one that I'm hoping will come loose after the surgery. They have puffed out enough that I can wear some of my tops that are more fitted.  I love when I catch people looking!  Some are close enough to me that they will say - wow, where'd they come from and others I know are just thinking it.

• dancetrancer
    edited September 2012
    Options

That's awesome faith!

• faithhopenluv
    edited September 2012
    Options

I'm a few days out from my 2nd surgery. It's much easier than the first because the first had the BMX as well. Lipo sites are healing well, much less bruising than the first time. Almost passed out AGAIN tho....the common theme is taking off the compression garmet. It seems to be related to that release of pressure and fluid.

One thing I didn't expect is I'm in a boob cast of sorts. It is to keep them shaped properly. It is a thin sticky foam with a hard plastic mesh on top. It's a little annoying, but I understand it's purpose. I will have one more surgery the end of Nov. I was hoping it would be done a little sooner, but it should mean a break from cast and brava for a few weeks in between.

Best of luck to everyone else..hang in there!

• dancetrancer
    edited September 2012
    Options

faith - I've heard about that "boob cast".  It's a new thing Dr. K is doing...interesting!  But hey, if it works and means less Brava time...woohoo! 

• faithhopenluv
    edited September 2012
    Options

Yes, I wasn't expecting it. But honestly I didn't ask many questions about what was next. I know this is what I want and I need to deal with each step as it comes. I'm not sure what is worse yet. Overall the brava is less confortable, but a break each day is severely missed. I know I'm in the middle of something very cool and a few years he'll have something even better for this in between time - a fitted, foamy removable cast or something like that.

• faithhopenluv
    edited September 2012
    Options

And dancetrancer - congrats on keeping your hair! Beautiful :)

• dancetrancer
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thank you faith!!!! 

Yes, if I ever decide to go back for more grafts, I'm hoping more comfy alternatives exist for me then.  LOL   

• PLJ
    PLJ Member Posts: 65
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hi gals,

clb-how are you doing? I was hoping to have Neopec done but it still needs more kinks worked out so it looks like it will be Dr. K and Brava for me! Woohoo...can't wait!

I have a question: it says on the Miami Breast website that the fat grafting/lipo can be done under a general anaesthetic or not. I would like to avoid further general anaesthesias and wondered if anyone has had it done with twilight meds?

Please let us know how your are doing. I am so excited that many of you have had success with this method. Loss of the breasts is a difficult thing and I can only imagine your joy!

Did you know about Dr. K's new book regarding this procedure, which he refers to as the third option?

Stay well and enjoy your new girls!

PLJ

• dancetrancer
    edited November 2012
    Options

PLJ, they need to take that off his website b/c I've seen lots of gals comment on that...only to find out he requires you to go under full anesthesia.  I was under for 6 hours for my procedure.  If anyone else has heard differently, feel free to speak up. 

• MichyLL
    MichyLL Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2012
    Options

Hello ladies. As a recently new member of this site I am suer exited to have run into this information here. After having my bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders, that shifted inside :( ouch, I had my exchange surgery to implants six weeks ago and I'm in severe pain still. I can't pick up my twin boys :( , not even to put them on my lap. I'm so saddened by my limitations and pain that I really need to take these things out. As I began to look at other options instead of revision, I came across Brava information at the Miami Breast Center site. Naturally, I have some questions and thought someone might be able to help here.

When you already have implants do they take them out and start from scratch?

What do they do with the already stretched skin? I want to go smaller than these horrific implants!

How can I find a Doctor near Boston, MA that does this procedure?

Thank you all so much in advance!!

• Unknown
    edited December 2012
    Options

Hi there,

I have been closely following your posts as I am right behind you in the procedure (my #2 procedure will be in 3 weeks). I was hoping to hear if you were happy with the results and how many more of the grafts you would need. I had the "splint" on for four weeks which helped my skin and injection wounds on the chest heal very well. Now I am back on my BRAVA at night getting ready for the next procedure. I hope everything went well for you and that I can read more of your posts as you are going along in this process.

• goodrhue
    goodrhue Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    Options

I'm also closely following this thread and will try to contribute my own experience as it goes along.  I got my BRAVA and started using it Dec. 27; my first procedure is Jan. 25.  It takes some getting used to but so far my skin is holding up well and I'm getting used to sleeping with the dome on.  I went for my consult in July and there is already a new "turbo" pump system that Dr. Khouri is having me use 10 days before the procedure that will automatically cycle the pressure.  I'm excited but also trying not to get my hopes up, after 4-1/2 years wearing a RB prosthesis.  He told me it would likely take 6 procedures, but it sounds like it's *possible* it will take less with the turbo system.

• goodrhue
    goodrhue Member Posts: 22
    edited January 2013
    Options

p.s. faithhopenluv:  can you tell me more about the "boob cast".  I haven't heard about that yet.  Does it mean you don't use the BRAVA after the fat grafting?  Clearly I need to get a more detailed update from Dr. K's office before I go for my procedure! 

• dancetrancer
    edited January 2013
    Options

Best wishes goodrhue!  Yes, I've heard about the turbo and that it really helps increase the expansion vs just hand pumping and sport box.  Expensive rental, though, at $40/day!  Ouch!  However if it meant fewer surgeries it would be worth it.

I have also heard about the "casts" and have seen a pic of them.  They are like plastic molded things that are taped onto the chest.