Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Follow my Brava and Fat Grafting Day by Day

Options

Comments

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited September 2014
    Options

No i did not use Brava until after the infection, I was doing ok without before but now need it as a result of damage from infection on top of rads damage and came round from transfer two with a lovely rounded elevation of almost an inch, that looked great but i felt ill almost immediately and I only kept it for two weeks.....I am not back at that point yet, was my surgeon's first infection and loss of transferred fat in his eight years of doing this. But i dont use Brava after surgery as PS says wait at least a month to allow fat to settle.  

• Lily55
    edited September 2014
    Options

intheATL2014 - damn, blast, hells bells, and lots of other english words that is awful....so sorry

• Dnice
    Dnice Member Posts: 156
    edited September 2014
    Options

IntheAtl2014 - I am so sorry you have to deal with more. This is so hard. I hope you can have fat transferred during the surgery. I wish that was offered to me as an option. After I learned that it might help patients who have had rads, I assumed my PS didn't know about it.  Now, after 5 consults I'm not so sure. Glad you have been more informed. 

Bosomblues- I am wondering if you could email your PS so all your questions are answered without having to go back for a consult? Also, maybe get the names of other patients you might speak to about their experience with him. I agree that our hope clouds everything for us. It's what we cling to. I find it so hard to look in the mirror everyday and be reminded of cancer. We want this over. Quickly... I feel bad for you that your consult was only 10 minutes.... Not a lot of time to get your thoughts sorted out. Especially if the PS makes you feel rushed.

• IntheATL2014
    IntheATL2014 Member Posts: 41
    edited September 2014
    Options

Lily55, BosumBlues, and Dnice       You guys are so sweet!  Thanks for your posts.  Went to diff. PS today, recommended by my BS, for a second opinion about the current state of my recon.  Quite an eye opener.  Since I have to have another mastectomy, I am thinking of latt-flap on both sides during that surgery.  2nd PS gave me a lot to think about.  I will have another conversation with my BS before I make a final decision and start to move forward.

Lily55  After my fat loss (Aug. 1), I had to stay off Brava for a month.  Only been back on it since Sept. 2.   Now, it is all up in the air.  Hope the rest goes well for you.

BosumBlues - I know what you mean about being a uni.  Since nothing was noticed on the right during the mammo in Dec. and the MRI in Jan., I just figured the follow up last week would be no big deal.  But when they took 2 sets of xrays and then told me to see the radiologist, my heart just sank.  And when I saw the films on Fri., I kinda knew.  With my large and long fibrocystic breasts, I had been getting mammos since my late 30s.  I would never be able to distinguish between normal lumpiness and anything else.  DCIS and other itty-bitty cancers are best detected early with mammo.

My head is about to explode with all the info in my head and having to weigh it all (pros and cons), make decisions and plans, just like in Jan.  Overwhelming again.  I am one who likes to draw a straight line from thinking to deciding in a linear/logical manner.  Feels like I am back at the starting line.  Oy!

• Dnice
    edited September 2014
    Options

So sorry intheatl2014. It's hard to have a setback. There may be a positive side in that the PS can make both sides look symmetrical? I'm not sure. Wish you the best. Keep us posted. 

• hopeful24
    hopeful24 Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2014
    Options

I'm 10 days post-op on my 10th surgery, 6th fat grafting. Dr. Saint-Cyr also removed the skin from my thighs after a lot of fat grafting there (he ended up actually doing a thigh lift -- so painful!!) and fixed my stomach scar (it's straight!). I had gotten rid of everything BRAVA after the hematoma the last surgery so this one includes no brava.

My breasts look incredible! Two even breasts -- something I haven't seen in two years :) And, you can not see or feel a difference between the DIEP flap breast and the fat graft breast. I have an appointment on Thursday to take off the nipple foams so I get to see what they look like then.

It's definitely a much easier process without BRAVA involved and I haven't noticed any fat loss (the breast is still firm-filled with fat). I really think I may be done. ThumbsUp

• Lily55
    edited September 2014
    Options

Oh Hopeful, you give me hope!  Sooooo pleased for you, please keep us posted. 

• Lily55
    edited September 2014
    Options

manipulated stem cell? I think they are just separated out by physical or centrifugal force.  BRAVA stretches tissue but thats all, but I am no expert.  

• hopeful24
    edited September 2014
    Options

I haven't heard anything about "manipulated stem cells." With fat/stem cell transfer, you are just using what's in your own body so if cancer is there, it's there, if it's not, it's not.

I was up at Mayo yesterday for my post-op. Here's the results (all good!):
    Thighs, buttocks from skin tightening/thigh lift are still healing. I had a blood spouting incident that proved that! Doc said these (dissolvable) stitches should be healed in about two weeks, but they'll need a good 4-6 weeks more before I do any type of leg exercises. Honestly, it looks really gross, but they are in the crease of my thigh and buttocks so you can't really see them.

Stomach-Finally, my stomach scar from the DIEP flap is perfectly straight! Can't wait to start vitamin e and cocoa butter to get this newly cut middle part as faded as the rest of the scar. BTW, didn't even realize until they were removing stitches that he had re-done my belly button. I was OK with it before, but doc is a perfectionist :)

Fat donor sites-This time he took from the sides of my waist and hips and I have to say it's the least painful I've had.

BREASTS!!! You cannot feel or see the difference between the fat grafted breast and the Diep flap breast. They both look and feel very natural. My breasts look a bit "squished" at this point, but they are a nice size (36b) and I was told to keep them in a molding bra for the next four weeks. 

Nipples-The nipples look fantastic! They are as real as they get. They are still healing so I have to wear foam nipple protectors around them.

I don't have to go back to the doctor for six weeks. As for additional surgery, it doesn't look necessary at this point. If I lose the fat (have retained about 90% so far), I might consider a touch up in a year or so.

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited September 2014
    Options

YAY hopeful24!!! Reading your post made my day..............If something is still in clinical trials..yes, those using it are guinea pigs...but even after FDA approval a lot of meds are pulled off the market because there wasn't enough testing before offering them to the public.. .. if fat grafting can be done without the Brava,so much the better....it has been used in Europe for many years without the Brava....

• Lily55
    edited September 2014
    Options

misleading though isn't it as it only mentions fat grafting, not whether BRAVA changes risk! I think there is a risk to all recons.......but then it seems I am a walking risk anyway........

• GointoCarolina
    GointoCarolina Member Posts: 95
    edited September 2014
    Options

There are a lot of doctors that do fat grafting,but a lot are no longer or never did use the Brava.I think hopeful is a good example that fat grafting can be successful on it's own.All recon has its pros and cons...and everyone has different reasons of why they choose a particular recon.I planned to have tissue expanders with fat grafting...but could not tolerate the TEs.I then talked to a surgeon who used the Brava,he was reluctant for me to invest in it since my chest seems so sensitive and I have fibromyalgia so my nerves are on high alert.He did tell me he would try fat grafting without it,but it would require multiple surgeries...he was very conservative,which for me was a good thing.I would have hated to be told three surgeries and have it end up being more.I am recovering from bilateral SGAP...one side failed.Thinking of trying a TDAP with fat grafting as the recovery from the flap surgery has been hard for me.....mainly because all the meds flared my gastritis. I personally would not do another flap.....but think I would feel differently if one side had not failed.Of course,then it wouldn't be needed and I would be planning my Stage 2!

• hopeful24
    edited September 2014
    Options

I agree with Lily. Honestly, It doesn't even sound like it was written by a medical professional -- or anyone who has ever gone through fat grafting. 

Fat grafting can be done with BRAVA, a tissue expander, or nothing at all. I have no idea what they mean by "another external tissue expander." I did BRAVA the first four and had enough of the expense, pain, complications, and total disruption of my life. We finished without it the last two.

And, yes, there is risk with any type of surgery, but my surgeon decided to do fat grafting to re-reconstruct my left breast because it was the least risky option. 

• IntheATL2014
    edited September 2014
    Options

Lily55, Dnice, Bosumblues, and everyone.

Because I am having a 2nd mastectomy Oct. 1 (right) and the Brava AFT side(left - from Feb. mastectomy) is not cooperating as hoped, my amazing plastic surgeon and I are doing TEs (and future implants).  The new side will have a fully filled TE and the left, which needs some skin recon, will have a less filled TE.  Once all is healed, and the left has reached matching fill, then the exchange will happen.  My breasts were DD long.  I will have skin for days on the right, but need to removed infection damage on the left and stretch the remaining skin.  My plan is to have C-D ish size when all is done.  I just have to live through drains and the discomfort of TEs.  The one installed in Feb. had to be removed 16 days later due to infection.  It had been digging into my ribs and was so uncomfortable.  TEs must have been designed by men!

Wish me luck.  Will repost when I am on the other side of this surgery.  Pray for good results on the final path.  In Feb., I managed to escape extra nodes, chemo, and radiation.  Praying for the same this time.

• hopeful24
    edited September 2014
    Options

IntheATL2014... Thinking of you and wishing the best. I too went through the horror of losing my left breast twice, but the good news is that I've come out the other side with TWO full breasts.

It won't be an easy journey, but someday it will be over and you'll be ready to celebrate :)

• Lily55
    edited September 2014
    Options

how long was your journey Hopeful? Sorry for word journey it makes it sound like fun! Great to hear you sounding happy after so long, I feel like i will never get there or be normal again

• hopeful24
    edited October 2014
    Options

I like the word journey! 

My mastectomy and Diep flap was in dec 2012. I lost the left reconstructed breast to a staph infection in Feb 2013. My doctor wanted my body to heal (at that point I had 5 surgeries in the previous 4 months), so we waited a bit to rebuild it.

I started BRAVA in June 2013 and had my first fat graft in July. The second was in September of that year. I had multiple infections and constant pain with Brava, so I waited until after the holidays and did graft #3 Jan 3, 2014.

Fat graft #4 was March 28th and it was followed by another bad infection and large hematoma, traced to the BRAVA. We decided to stop using it and give my body a 6 month rest.

I had my 5th Fat graft three weeks ago, along with nipple reconstruction and various adjustments on previous surgeries. 

Honestly, I could probably use a little more fat in the left breast, but I'm going to wait at least until next year and -- if I really feel uncomfortable -- I might do another.

• Dnice
    edited October 2014
    Options

intheatl, best wishes to you!! Hope all went well. You are being thought of every day as u heal. All of this is so hard!!! Please keep us posted!

• Ladybird-dancer
    Ladybird-dancer Member Posts: 119
    edited November 2014
    Options

Inthe ATL 2014
    Somehow, I stopped receiving info from this website, but it has resumed today.

Good to hear of your experiences. I am in much the same boat as you - age etc - but not as far down the line. Yet to have surgery. However, this road seems to have gone on and on and on and I'm not even at surgery stage as I refuse to do that unless I know for sure what's happening afterwards. I'm in the UK and we don't have BRAVA here. I may yet take up Lily55's very kind offer of visiting her to see her physician. Here all I hear about is flaps and inserts. Tell me, as I've almost lost the plot here, never mind the will to live (exaggerating again - but you know what I mean I'm sure) have you found the fat transfer very much more worthwhile than any sort of other treatment, i.e. flaps or inserts? Those of you who have been reading this for a while will notice a change in my tone! I'm feeling somewhat broken by the system and soooooooo tired of it all.

Hopeful 24
    Again, another woman who's had a tough time. So sorry to hear this. Are you saying that Dr K was difficult? I've tried to get on Dr Ahn's books in NY but having proffered her all my info, she hasn't come back to me. All I need to know is a price! No one seems to be able to do this for me.

Lily55
    Just to say Hi, and that I haven't forgotten your very kind offer of visiting you and your physician at the same time. I've been bogged down here with all sorts of visits and a clinical psychologist who not only didn't help, she completely re-traumatised me 4 out of the 6 times I saw her, and really upset me the other two times! It was absolute ****. So I am back on course to see what I can get here in the UK and then to see what I can get either with your lovely man or Dr Ahn in NY. Time passes. Tumours staying the same size, and as long as they do, I can sit here and try to make the best decisions for myself. Next appt with my consultant - whom I like - is on Nov 24th. Why is it that the closer one gets to an appt the more anxious one becomes? I really can't work that one out.

Best wishes to all the ladies on this website. Your correspondence has helped me so much.

• Lily55
    edited November 2014
    Options

Ladybird Dancer, your tumour not growing does not necessarily mean you have unlimited time as you have a tumour load that is affecting your immune system. Spain is a lot cheaper than the US if you are paying private, but if you have a mastectomy then you will need to live part flat while fat grafting goes on.......as there is no immediate recon with fat transfer. Have you thought about what your ideal scenario is and then posting it here to see if anyone has resources that fit? As you are lobular have you had an MRI to see where its spread to?

• Lily55
    edited December 2014
    Options

I am finding BRAVA easier to use now that I have a sport box that works!!! My first one was faulty and had to be returned so things are going a lot better this time.

However I can only wear BRAVA for six hours maximum as my skin gets too itchy and sore, but it seems to be working. PS is not insisting on 10 ro 12 hours per day.

My big question is that after each session of BRAVA I feel a really tight band across my chest, the no breast side and it goes around under the hard like a hard ridge.......it eases off but leaves me feeling a bit bruised on the ribs too...is this normal? Has anyone else had it?

I am reeling a bit as went to another PS for a consult and she told me no way would I get a breast from fat transfer alone and that I would need a skin transplant anyway as my skin was not stretchy enough.....of to see my FT PS this week to see what he says.....but i have been hugely upset last few days........

Has anyone else had success with creating a breast from FT obnly when other PS´s have said it was impossible?

• Dnice
    edited December 2014
    Options

lily, I have had six consults and all PS's have had differing opinions to the approach for recon. Some COMPLETE opposites. So..... I can only offer that some people, drs included, are pessimistic while others see endless possibilities. Go with your gut.....

• Ladybird-dancer
    Ladybird-dancer Member Posts: 119
    edited December 2014
    Options

Dear Lily55

I would agree with Dnice. The range of possibilities with different PSs seems endless. A real continuum from one extreme of negativity to the other of total faith and positivity.

We are all there for you. Sending many hugs across the water to you.

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have not went back and read all the posts but has anyone here had success with Brava after a bi-lateral mx?

• Dnice
    edited December 2014
    Options

hi peacstrength, there are women on the fatgraftpatients.com site that are using the BRAVA method. I have been researching/consulting for the last 8 months. Some have great success and will share their stories and pics. If you need info or would like a copy of DR Khouris book, I have an extra copy you can have. I am undecided as of now. I am going to a consult in Boston in a few weeks. Happy to share anything....have you had rads? Implants?

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited December 2014
    Options

Dnice, thanks so much for your reply and will send you a pm

• IntheATL2014
    edited January 2015
    Options

I came back to this thread to just check out what was happening and realized that I had not posted after the Oct. 1 surgery.

I am now 18 days out from exchange. Recovery has gone well. Might need a little fine tuning down the road.

I do not regret trying Brava/AFT after my first mx in Feb. I really wanted it to work, but had a failure in July. By the time I was back on Brava to prepare for the next AFT, I had my 6 month check up from the mx and cancer was found in the other breast. My patience was DONE at that point. TEs and implants became my new plan for expediency.

For those on the Brava path, I wish you all well. It may not the best choice for everyone, but worth a try if you and your PS commit. There are other choices if it does not work out.

• Dnice
    edited January 2015
    Options

Sp sorry inthealt2014. How difficult to have to go back for the other MX. And to have disappointing results with Brava and AFT. I also have implants but with a great deal of rippling. Considering Brava too or maybe different implant. Can I ask what your experience was with Brava? Which Dr did you use?

• dmarie71
    dmarie71 Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2015
    Options

I will be doing my 3 weeks of BRAVA sometime this spring and will have my liposuction/fat grafting (mostly in thighsand buttocks) immediately following. How long will I most likely need to take off of work? I teach first grade.

• damazon
    damazon Member Posts: 13
    edited May 2015
    Options

he

Hello

Can you help me? I have the same stats as you. Big tumour and radiation. I am considering the Brava system but I need to know, can I place a prosthetic on top of the brava breast during the day so as to look the same while undertaking the process. After a surgery can I still do Zumba and raise my arms over my head after 2 weeks?

Your help is appreciated. I have always tried to hide the fact that I am missing a breast and have cancer. If I did Brava I need to know I can continue in this manner.

Thank you.