Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The Hermit Club

Options

Comments

• wallan
    wallan Member Posts: 192
    Options

Merry Christmas everyone!

We are under 20 cm of snow tonight. A white Christmas!

wallan

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    Options

Wishing you all a Happy and healthier 2018..

• jazzygirl
    jazzygirl Member Posts: 11,931
    Options

Hi hermits- wishing everyone a safe New Years. Me, I stay in tonight and will be going out to two different gatherings tomorrow.

Hoping 2018 brings everyone here better days....

• wallan
    Options

Happy New Year Hermits!!!!

Wishing you all health and happiness as always.

wallan

• TabzIsMyAngel
    TabzIsMyAngel Member Posts: 41
    Options

Teka, your last two pics are SO right! HappyThis past week has been brutal! Looks like you're just south of me... I'm in northern Franklin County. I've been hibernating since Friday. Winking

I live alone, so it's very easy to be a hermit. Most days it's only appointments that get me out of the house. And on those days I'll usually either go to visit my mother in the nursing home and/or stop by my Dad's on the way home, often staying for dinner. So at least I get a *little* bit of socializing.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Teka- I love that you are having your holiday dinner now. I might make a turkey this weekend myself, yet to do that during the holiday.

Have a great day with the family tomorrow!

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,422
    Options

Been amusing myself with a latch hook rug. The design is that of a male deer with a mountain peak and forest in the background. I got it earlier this month and have been working on it off and on.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Mommy- that sounds perfect for the winter. My grandmother used to have a fabulous rug loom in her home and so wished we had gotten that out at some point. They moved into the city from the country and then the house burned down and that got lost in the fire. I love homemade rugs. Take a pic and show it when you have it done if you can?

• m0mmyof3
    Options

I will. Thinking of turning into a wall hanging. I put all my latch hook rugs on a turnable frame and stand that make it easier to work on.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Little fuzzy, but my best shot of the lunar eclipse this am. We had great visibility out here in NM this morning of this stellar event!

• wallan
    Options

Hey Jazzygirl:

Beautiful picture - thanks for posting. We only saw the big moon here in Toronto canada.

So this is nice to see an actual picture.

Wallan

• jazzygirl
    Options

More favorites from today (not my pics). Bottom one from Humbolt University FB page and top one from local photographer on a local NM FB thread.

• jazzygirl
    Options

One last one I took tonight

• Lily55
    Options

Well it is six years since I knew (albeit not officially diagnosed) that I had breast cáncer.  After battling for reconstruction for almost all that time I can finally report that my endless complaints at escalating levels have finally worn them down and they are now beginning the process of reconstruction for me.  Problem is this has worn me out too and while this should be long over it is now reopening all sorts of stuff for me.  My recon options are not extensive and their DIEP statistics are a 25% failure rate.................and no chance of anything else afterwards as they tellme they will need to remove a rib to do the DIEP (is this normal?).

Anyway I wanted to be able to share something positive for once

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lilly- so glad to hear from you friend and hoping all of what follows next will help you to get back to a better place physically. You have had to way far too long for this, but praying the recon goes well for you friend. Keep us posted, we like hearing from you!

• jazzygirl
    Options

Hi friends- happy almost spring here in the northern hemisphere! I wanted to share I made it to my five year mark and came off the aromatase inhibitors a couple weeks ago. I am already feeling better (my feet have less pain, less cramped hand writing, sleeping better, etc.) I celebrated last week with a good friend who did a little ceremony with me with a nice reserve bottle of wine I brought and a reading she did. She was a great support to me during everything. I have more celebrations around this coming up with family. The five years for me really marks coming off the meds, and was not sure at one point if I would make it through, but I did!

Hoping everyone here is doing okay?

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Doing good, just getting a little weary from the Nor'easters that keep coming at me.

• Lily55
    Options

Well I see this thread has gone really quiet.........how are you BB??  How is everyone?  

Life has changed hugely.....the man who was not there for me during my treatment is now terminally ill with a vicious cáncer, and of course I am there for him.......but finding it really hard...... it has happened scarily fast..........I feel more like a sleep deprived carer than anything else......and he is behaving exactly the same way with his cáncer as he did with mine, head firmly in sand and leaning on me enormously........ 

I never stopped loving him, well the him he was at first, but am finding it really hard to see how little effort he is putting in to his own fight despite saying he wants to fight........

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lily- were you able to get your recon surgery you had gotten approved that you shared awhile back?

• Lily55
    Options

not yet but waiting to be called for pre operative tests......however going with implants as risk of failure of DIEP too high for me and if it fails leaves me as I am now.......struggling to feel there is life ahead........feel very disillusioned by people and life but also warmed by others too.......

Am not going to delay recon due to situation even though it means me being in hospital alone miles from home and brought back by ambulance......its stirring up memories i dont need too

How are you Jazzy? Has anyone heard from BB?

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lilly- I am glad you are going ahead with the recon when the time is right. Because I know how very important this is to you. My hope is that you have some friends who will visit. Do they have things like visiting nurses and home health where you live? That is what got me through, living alone.

Yes, I have heard from her, she is on the singles thread still and hanging in there. Come over to say hi there to the gals when you can!

I am doing okay over here too! I reached my five year mark in February and came off the aromatase inhibitors and feeling a bit better all the time.

• jazzygirl
    Options

Wow, the last post here was April. How is everyone doing here as we approach summer in the US?

Lily- did you get your recon done and if so, how are you doing? I know that surgery is not an easy one but you have waited for so long for this, I just hope it was worth it and the work was good. Are you okay friend?

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Took some time off from here after we got back from vacation

• jazzygirl
    Options

Mommy- did you go anywhere fun?

• Lily55
    Options

Operation is next week.......feeling really sick about it as will be on my own, husband cannot be there and hospital is mile away from my home so too far for visitors........feeling really quite scared about how I will manage immediately post op as over here family are meant to be there to look after you and i really will be all on my own.....

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lily- we have something here called Home Health that comes with most insurance and it has a visiting nurse come in to check on you. That won't help with everything, but at least you can have someone checking in with you. In the socialized medicine world, not sure what they have but worth asking if you have not? They can be sure you are healing and watch for signs of infection (I remember you had a bad infection before too). I had home health during my abdominal surgery and BS in 2012 (for months) and it really helped to be sure I was okay.

Logistics are different. Are there cancer organizations where you live where people can volunteer to come help? People to walk dogs, take you back for post opp, etc. A lot of times the ones here are volunteers whom are previous cancer survivors.

I have been scared too doing surgeries on my own and with little help. I found some resources and friends who were able to fill some of the gaps.

Change your sheets, fill up the fridge with food before you go in. Try to get your bedroom comfortable as possible since you will be resting a lot.

Will share any other ideas I can think of.

• m0mmyof3
    Options

Went to my home state of Wisconsin. Had a dual reason for going, to see family and start looking at some properties for our retirement years. Came back very rested and relaxed.

• Lily55
    Options

Its the time in hospital i wont have help for, over here family are expected to do all personal care, nurses don´t........and i will be totally on my own there apart from a possible charity volunteer who might come in once

• jazzygirl
    Options

Lilly- how long in the hospital for this procedure?

• Lily55
    Options

They said anything from 4 to 7 days.......its the first couple of days when I feel I will need help........its daunting going and knowing no one will be there when I come round etc not to mention practical things like how will I keep my personal items, phone etc safe.......