Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

I wonder if you already have lower estrogen levels if the SE's are not as severe.  I've been post-menopausal for 16 years and have dealt with joint pain (mostly hip) and fatigue.....just thought it was part of the aging process.  I did use bio-identical hormone replacement for about 11 of those years.  I think even though they were supposedly natural (I used 1 drop on my wrists a day) that it contributed to my higher risk of BC.  

Even if eating heathy and exercise regularly can't guarantee BC won't return, at least we'll feel better.  Winking

I haven't been doing yoga since my diagnosis and I certainly feel much stiffer and stressed.  I do try and walk at least 30 mins a day.  I don't always feel like it but feel so much better afterwards...helps me deal with the stress.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

After 6 years on tamox, I had my first glass of grapefruit juice with breakfast yesterday.... OMG, I can't believe I actually swooned over it!!  It was so delicious, waitress asked me if I wanted another, which I did want, but decided not to, don't want too much of a good thing.

I asked the onco at my appt and the hospital pharmacist & they both said there was no contraindication with anastrozole.   

Welcome to beachlady & hello to all!  I was away for a few days & need to get caught up on the threads.  Hope everyone's weekend is great.  Pouring rain here.... oh well, we need the wells to fill up again.  Dee

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

lago when did you switch?  I am so happy the new med is working so well for you.  I just started the Letrazole on Sunday.  I notice not many people take it and am not sure why.  I sure hope this med is a better fit for me.  I am cautiously optimistic that this is the one for me. :)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

This April after 3 years on Anastrozole.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474

lago I lasted almost 3 years on Anastrazole as well.  I think that is kind of interesting even though you and I developed different problems.  Three years seemed to be the magic number.  I am really glad you were able to get your groove back.  I hope I have an equally positive response to Letrazole.  Next month would have been my three year anniversary on Anastrazole.  Almost made it.  I am hoping the last two years on Letrazole will be uneventful as far as my joints go.  :)

• lago

Justmejanis if Letrazole doesn't work for you then go for the Exemestane.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Guess I missed the main question about towels and it looks like it had to do with radiation treatments?  Geez, I had a little cotton cape and when I got on the table, they pushed it to one size and I was totally exposed.  And I guess by that point, I had lost any sense of modesty and I was usually a step away from a panic attack, so I am sure it could have been very cold and I would never have noticed a thing......

But I love the warm blankets they gave me when I had my surgery...If I had abigger bathroom I'd be tempted to get one of those towel warming racks you see in the Sky magazines when you fly.........

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

When we remodeled our house we moved our washer/dryer into our master bedroom.  One of the benefits is that we throw our towels into the dryer each morning when we shower.  Wonderful!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

oooh, Kathy has a fine idea!

• mloch608
    mloch608 Member Posts: 1

Hi, I have been on anastrozole since June 1.  I am having two problems - my hands are swollen and they tingle, especially when I am laying down.  I wake up and they are sometimes numb.  They tingle all the time, but much worse when I lie down.  Anyone else seeing this and any suggestions for helping me deal with it.  I asked my oncology dr and he said it is not from the drug.  Also I have a lot of pain in my shoulders and back.  Any suggestions for how to deal with that?  Thanks

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Kathy, that sounds wonderful!

Mioch608, I've only been on it for 1-1/2 weeks with no problems.  Hope someone has some ideas for you. HUGS!

• lago

I developed pain in my shoulder/back and neck. After 3 years it was actually painful to stand up straight. I am now on Exemestane and no pain since April. But my real concern with your MO is has he told you who to see about this if he thinks it's not from Anastrozole. This shouldn't be ignored. Also just because your MO says it isn't doesn't me he's right. My MO felt my depression wasn't from Anastrozole…and she was wrong. No depression on Exemestane.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

the finger tingles are from the back, shoulder area. See an Ortho ir neuro

• proudtospin

I agree with Spookie, the back pain can cause the finger issues but think, could it be stress related?  I know if I am worried pain will end up in my back and you sure do have much on your mind

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

mioch608-do  you do a lot of repetitive type of work with your hands/arms?  Sounds like classic nerve related pain to me and you should see a neurologist or a orthopedist if your primary care can't get the ball rolling.  A lot of "distant' issues are from cervical issues in the back and neck with your disc's.   Get it checked out---the further from the source the pain is the more serious it can be.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308

Mloch,

Those are symptoms of neuropathy. It can be caused by chemo. I have it and my MO says I have to get it time but it should get better by 1 year. I am taking B6 that is suppose to help it, at least it hasen't worsened.

Feel better

Vivian

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

I have neuropathy from the Taxol, but also had some increasing tingling and pain when I was on the Arimidex. It has improved since I took the break 4 1/2 weeks ago. Still have some neuropathy in hands and feet but it improved significantly. In a few days I will start the Aromasin and see how that goes. Still have joint pain but it has definitely improved.

• lago

OK it's official. I lost 10 lbs switiching from Anastrozole to Exemestane. Who Hoo

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

ThumbsUpway to go lago

• 208sandy
    208sandy Member Posts: 582

Good for you lago!

• bren58
    bren58 Member Posts: 688

That's great lago!

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

That is AWESOME lago! I am stepping up my exercise and trying to limit calories. I cannot stand to see this weight come back on me.

• lago

Yeah it's nice to lose weight and not even have to eat less or exercise more. Now if I could lose 3 more I would be at my pre-diagnosis weight…but a lot squishier. Loopy

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Good going, lago!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

wonderful Lago. I know what you mean, feel like I'm matching my name with my puffy middle, and I haven't even started the Arimidex yet.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,798

lago-jealous!

I started the lowest dose of Cymbalta two weeks ago and it has made an enormous improvement in my joint pain. I worked out today and it was the first time I could do a full workout and it wasn't painful. Mood is better too, so it's all good! Feet still hurt when I start walking but I can deal with that. 

From the horrendous hot flashes I had on tamoxifen, I was worried about Arimidex, but it is much better. More like warmer flashes. I have a few bad ones, but not every hour. Maybe once a day, the rest are warm ones. I even wore a sweater today that didn't have the ability to peel off in an instant, lol.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Yup!  Count me as jealous as well Lago!   But I don't want to change yet, even though onco's not sure if anastrozole is working or not.  I have about 15 to go before pre diagnosis weight, but I'm getting there.  Dee

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Lago- that is great! I stopped taking my pill for 5 days to see if any aches and pains would go away ... they didn't but I lost 2 pounds during that time.. crazy how this stuff packs the pounds on.. I have never been so fat in my life -hate it!

• proudtospin

lago, love your squishie term and congrats on the loss!  I think I dropped a couple of pounds after ending my AL but that is based on the "Jean" test of how it is.  I know my thighs are thinner.

but 10 pounds is a big number lady!

• lago

Well 10lbs sounds like a big number but I also think some of that weight loss was fluid. I could still zip my skinny jeans but they were uncomfortable to wear. Now I can wear them. That's more of a 5lb loss.  So like I said, I think Anastrozole was causing some of my fluid retention. I have an issue with it anyway since my initial surgery/chemo.