Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

Ruth, I am not too clear on how an endocrinologist fits into this. I guess my fuzzy brains don't work too well lately.

• Hortense
    Hortense Member Posts: 718

I have read that sugar feeds inflammation which not only is bad for our hearts, but can feed cancers, so I am doing my best to avoid it. 

The New York Times Sunday Magazine ran a long and thoughtful article a few years ago by two scientists who believe the increase in the amount of refined sugar people have been consuming during the past hundred years or so has contributed mightily to the rapid increase of many of the illnesses we all suffer from now, especially cancers. In fact it was their cover article and main feature that ran for many pages. I wish I had I'd kept the article. It went in great detail about what happens when we eat sugar and about how much cancer we have with everyone eating so much sugar. It basically said that cutting out sugar in the entire population would drop the instances of cancer enormously.

I have switched to using honey in my tea as the article explained that honey breaks down far more slowly in our systems so does not fuel inflammation as much. I am trying to get myself to like tea without sweeteners at all - I don't like Stevia or agave, but that's not been going so well. I like my tea sweet with milk :)

I should search the Times archives for it. The authors said what they were writing was not going to be very welcome, given the public's liking for sweet foods and foods with sugar added, but they stood by their findings which were impressive. I believe them and trust the Times does too.

That said, yesterday I found three bars of Toblerone mixed in with spools of curling ribbon from last Christmas. I decided to test one to see if it was any good a year later. It was. So, I tested more.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Hort, sounds like you like some sugar but do a good job of controlling the urge, hey, the chocolate was from last holiday!  Not thinking that your splurge will cause much issue for you.  Think it is the folks who eat that sort of thing every day, multiple times during the day and do not get me started on sodas~~

I think you are allowed the candy!

• Catlover58
    Catlover58 Member Posts: 2

I can definitely say the tingling and numbness is from the Anastrszole. Probably the back and shoulder pain also. I Have been on this med almost 3 years. I have the same thing with my hands. I also have constant numbness in my feet that gets worse with walking.  The se's have been very difficult and I am still not able to work. Some things that have helped are going gluten free and trying to do all organic.  I also am trying some herbal products to see if they help. I checked other meds I was on to see if the could cause the same symptoms or increase the symptoms from the Anastrszole.. I stopped a couple I could do without and reduced others I needed  all of this has helped some. I have tried another AI but it was worse  I am continuing to look for ways to feel better. I hope this helps some . 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Mena I had my first shot of Prolia about a month ago. No SE at all. I did switch from Anastrozole to Exemastane due to SE on Anastrozole (back/should/neck pain, depression, weight gain, sleep issues). I don't have those SE anymore. I was osteopenic before chemo. I've been doing exercise, supplements etc but still landed in osteoporosis land 3 years after I stared Anastrozole. My MO doesn't support Tamoxifen for me unless it's a very last resort because my recurrence risk she claims is high due to tumor size and grade. I spoke with an endocrinologist (didn't like) and a reumatologist (fantastic). They did not mention anything about me switching to tamoxifen but again my recurrence risk might be the reason why and I am just over the border in my spine for osteoporosis.

I think if I had to make a choice I would go with osteoperosis over breast cancer mets.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

Mena, endocrinologists treat bone diseases. This is a good explanation I found when I googled it just now. I bolded the words in the second paragraph:

"Among bone diseases that endocrinologists help to treat, osteoporosis is by far the most common. That’s because bones are constantly gaining and losing cells, and often this exchange becomes imbalanced. An individual can start to lose more bone mass faster than he or she is building it. In osteoporosis, the hard, dense material that forms bone becomes porous, and bones become weaker and subject to fracture. Osteoporosis takes place across years, with no symptoms, as it gradually sets up bone for an all-too-easy fracture. It is a leading, world health problem, and women are at greater risk than men.

Endocrinologists, orthopedists, nephrologists and primary physicians all offer care for primary osteoporosis. Often, endocrinologists also care for patients with osteoporosis that is secondary to hyperpararthyriodism or kidney failure--among other metabolic and hormonal conditions that can also lead to this condition."

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

it's not just sugar. Honey is sugar. Fruitose is sugar. And there are more "otse" sugars.  Most white foods turn to sugar. Whole milk has less than skim. 

If you really want to cut sugar, go on a good diabetic food plan, cut your carbs, monitor your glucose to see what white rice, pasta, bread, potatoes do to you.

• MENA1954

Lago, I am right on the same page as you. Actually, I have a prescription for aromasin that the Dr. gave me 

3 months ago, when we discussed my pains and aches. Since we also discussed the possibility of maybe switching to tamoxfen if the dexa scan was bad, I did not fill it and told her I would stick to the anastrozole for the time being. So here we are 3 months later, Dexa results bad, but she told me that she did not think Tamoxifen was a good option for me. she said that the switch would increase the changes of the BC coming back by 8 % compared to the anastrazole. Do I want that? NO way! So I guess I will do the Prolia and switch to the aromasin and hopefully all my pains will ease up!

Ruth, thank you for the info. I will look into it.

Mena

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467

Mena - that 8% sounds high.  Are you sure that is the right number?  I am assuming you didn't have a high oncotype as I don't see chemo in your stats?  Usually there is only a slight difference between Tamoxifen and an AI.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

I started taking my anastrazole earlier in the day because I have had some really crappy sleep lately. If it causes pain or even difficulties with sleep I'll keep taking it -- as long as it keeps helping. My MO said we have 3 pills at our disposal, then chemo. I'm going to be needing to put off that chemo option for a looooooong time. Winking

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Dunesleeper, your profile says your are taking Aromasin.  Have you switched to Anastrazole?  I am taking mine in the morning with breakfast. Definitely, I'd want to try the 3 AIs before chemo.  But if chemo is the best option, then I'd do it, as I'm sure you will if you have to.  

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,798

They did balance my boot to my running shoe, which was pretty much even. But...I did not always wear the running shoe. If we went out with friends, I wore a low heel or a boot, and then bedazzled my booths trimmed it in a faux fur that matched my boot etc. I have big toes that don't flex. Had surgery on one a lot of years ago, and then this one,which had been stable, suddenly got dramatically worse. I couldn't hardly wear anything other than a total flat, and even that hurt if it was in the wrong spot across the top of my foot. Couldn't push off at all. They think chemo played a role in the fast progression. Surgery helped a ton. I still don't wear heels much but went to a wedding a couple weeks ago and wore three inch heels for 6 hours pretty comfortably....until I got out of bed the next day, lol. Pretty tender.

Prolia-get my first shot Monday. I have slight osteopenia in the right femoral neck. The rest is normal. My scan was completely normal in 2010. In 2012, it had dropped but was still normal. Again, they though chemo had an effect. This year, I have the one spot. I don't have any major concerns with the prolia. I'd rather have strong bones. I tried Actonel in 2012 when it had dropped a little, but it messed up my stomache. My late onc actually told me he recommends Prolia with an AI automatically without waiting to see if it drops. Don't know if that's good or bad.

I used to totally avoid processed sugar and while flour, but then a year ago fell totally off the wagon. I am somewhat better but still can't resist a cupcake. And I love bread. Don't eat it at home, but in a restaurant? I could devour an entire loaf with real butter. I drink moderately. A couple glasses of wine a week, or an occasional margarita.  For sweeteners, I use stevia almost always, and Splenda if I don't have it handy. Rarely drink a soft drink anymore, but I love iced tea. No coffee-hate it. I do think sugar is just not good for mush of anything in general-except tasting oh so good, lol.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

fluff, my onc and PCP won't do the bone builders unless I am osteoporotic.  I was just under that in my spine and hips the last time. I go again in Nov. Well see. I am on Arimidex and Omeprozole plus having low mag all suck calcium. Que serra! 

• pontiacpeggy

MoonFlwr, could you take Zantac instead of the Prilosec?  I quit Prilosec when it came out that they suck calcium and screw up your bones.  Zantac does not.  I take 2 150mg tablets daily (morning and night) and that seems to do better than the Prilosec.  Just a thought.  

• Msqueen57
    Msqueen57 Member Posts: 25

Hi All.  I am new to this forum which I found when I was looking up information on how to deal with the side effects of Arimidex.  Been on Arimidex since the middle of September.   At first no problems, and then about two weeks in I developed most of the side effects people experience.   Bone and joint pain, flu like symptoms and horrible fatigue.   Was not sure at first how much of this was the medicine, because I also have MS and bad arthritis.   Reading these posts and seeing how much good the Arimidex is said to do in preventing recurrences, helps me stay on the medication.   My bones are already thin so I will probably have to go on Proleia soon.  Having another bone scan in February or March of next year.  Tried oral medications and they did not work.   There are days when I feel 87 instead of 57.  Trying to hang in there as best as I can.  Having this forum helps.  Hope all you ladies feel better every day.  

• pontiacpeggy

Welcome, MSQueen57.  I hope you'll find all the support here you need.  We all try!  Sorry that you've experienced all the SEs Arimidex can dish up.  It must be challenging balancing BC, MS and arthritis.  I think we all keep in mind the reason we are taking Arimidex and the other AIs is to make sure BC never comes back.  Keep posting.  With luck someone will have some hints for you to cope.  In the meantime, have you talked to your MO about your side effects or an endrocinologist?  Maybe you could start Prolia sooner than next winter.  HUGS!!!

• JanD
    JanD Member Posts: 3

Hi All, I found this while searching for side effects due to Astrozole. I am scheduled to be on it for 5 years. I have been on it for about 6 months with no side effects until about a month ago. At that time, my knees and joints started to be very stiff after short periods of inactivity. If I ride in the car for 20 min. I am really stiff. Now my hands are stiff as can be. It is especially bad on my index finger on my right hand. I led myself to believe that I had over worked the joint over the years. I was a window coverings installer for many years, and this is my  drill trigger finger. Then I read people calling the symptom "trigger finger". I can't move it in the morning. I have to use my left hand to get it going. Is this normal? I go back to the doctor in early December. Should I try to ignore it? I am 58 and active.  I stand mostly all day, exercise a few times a week, and go to yoga sometimes. The only other med I am on is Lisinopril for high bp, but that has been really low lately, so I think I will cut down on it. I am also feeling a little dizzy. Any words of wisdom out there? Thanks, Jan

• pontiacpeggy

JanD, welcome!  Of course, it is possible that your symptoms are caused by Anastrozole.  But trigger finger can be caused by anything.  My 44 year old daughter-in-law is having surgery for hers in a couple weeks.  She is not taking AIs or tamoxifen - she had colon cancer and takes nothing for it.  Stiffness could be age-related or SEs.  

Your dizziness definitely could be related to your low BP.  DH has normally low BP.  Add in Parkinson's and you come up with orthostatic hypotension - low BP upon standing - he just melts and goes rather catatonic - very challenging.  Thank heavens you don't have that!

Please complete your profile so we can see what your dx and treatments have been.  That can make a difference when we're throwing out thoughts for you.

HUGS!!!

• lago

JanD my SE started about 3 months after starting the drug. At about a year the stiffness was less. Granted the duck walk in the morning never went away but that was only for a few minutes. I did have trigger fingers in my left hand in the morning but after about a year or so it too went away. My left hand is still stiff but I believe it's arthritis that maybe was brought on with the drug. I switched to generic Aromasin after being on generic Arimidex for 3 year this past April due to other SE.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243

Welcome Msqueen57.  Your experience so far is 'normal' as many times the SEs don't start right away, sometimes not for weeks or months.  But, also, many times they also either go away or become livable over time.  If not you can talk with your MO about trying others - nice to have that option so hang in there.  We all react differently and having bad arthritis and MS (and not being a 20 yo) just doesn't help at all.  But these boards will help so please keep coming, reading and if you want to rant, do that as well.

Hi JanD, yes, you are "normal".  SEs can start/stop at any time.  You may get some, all or none.  Frustrating because there is no one answer for us.  I didn't have to manually straighten my trigger finger; it just pops/cracks when I lift it.  I found relief by using a finger splint at night (you can find them in a pharmacy) and it eventually went away but now it's coming back.  I think others may have gotten shots and/or surgery.  For the stiffness maybe try to make sure you get in exercise as much as possible as we need to keep those muscles and joints in motion.  Over time hopefully you find the stiffness gets better.

So couple of weeks ago had my semi-annual MO checkup - NED - and now since I've just passed my 6 year cancerversary I'm on a one year schedule with him.  That was my tradeoff - see him only annually but stay on Anastrozole at least another 18 months.  I've had no major SEs altho my trigger thumb is trying to rear its ugly head again and primary doc also suspects pre-diabetes.  My MO doesn't think so since the number is just a little elevated and the arimidex probably has something to do with it but I'm going to err towards caution and up my exercise and nutrition.  Going to a pre-diabetes/diabetes seminar Tuesday evening and may hookup with a nutritionist for assistance.  Not even going to consider meds if I can get that number down naturally.

• IllinoisNancy
    IllinoisNancy Member Posts: 99

Have any of you ladies experienced face breakouts? I've been on Arimidex since May of 2011 and recently I have been breaking out around the mouth and on the chin.  I never had a problem with acne.....ever!  It seems like my face is covered with peach fuzz too.  Could this be a side effect from eliminating my estrogen.  I turn 58 tomorrow and really hope this goes away.  Thanks for listening.....Nancy

• lago

I got the peach fuzz that never went away. I honestly think this is more chemo related. I see so many younger women that have gone through chemo and not on an AI that also have the peach fuzz. I use this to trim it: 

• JanD

Thanks for the update. I will be strong and try not to bitch. I agree that the less drugs, the better. After the large doses of chemo, would like to be drug free.

• JanD

Ahh, the duck walk. Yes, that is exactly what it is like. I hope this finger thing passes. Happy to know I am not alone though. Thanks for the support.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,536

JanD-

Welcome to Breastcancer.org! We're so very glad you've found us here, this community is a source of much support and help for so many of our members, as evidenced by the response to your initial post. We hope you'll stick around and get to know some of our amazing members. 

The Mods

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Well, I guess I'm coming back to arimidex.  I switched to exemestane on the 4th of July after a month-long holiday.  The horrid hip pain I"d been having turned out to be bursitis, which PT pretty much eradicated, and I currently have no joint pain.  The problem I have with exemestane is hair loss. I wash my hair every two or three days, and there is always a wad of hair in the drain.  With arimidex, I experienced this for a few weeks, then it lessened, but with the new drug, it just seems to go on and on with no sign of stopping. 

I seem to be less in a fog than I had been, but this could be just the effect of time.  Anyway, the new pills should arrive in a week or two.  We'll see if I'm nuts; I'll be watching for returning side effects.

• MENA1954

Lago, picked up the new prescription and I asked the pharmacist what I should do. He assured me that there would be no problem just taking the aromasin tomorrow instead of the anastrazole.

Since I have been so anxious lately, my Oncologist had also given me a prescription for Lexapro, the lowest dosage possible to start with 5mg. so I filled them both and hope for the best.

Ruth,  I will definitely make an appointment with an Endocrinologist to discuss my Osteoporosis and the possible use of Prolia.

I always associated that kind of doctor with tyroid problems....WHO KNEW!!!!!

Thank you both so much.

MENA

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

I just knew because my friend knew....good we have this place to share!

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

Just took my first dose of examestane. Wish me luck!

Martha

• MENA1954

Just took MY first dose of Examestane!  I hope it will decrease my pains and aches!

Since only time will tell...., I have to wait and see what happens!

MENA