Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Applause Applause on the weight loss LAGO........  I am still trekking to WW every week and bouncing the same damn lb. up and down.  The give me a 5 lb award and then a month later, I get it again, but it is the same damn 5 lbs......Course, if I would just stick solidly to the plan, it would work.   I just can't seem to tame the sugar monster.  I like my coffee sweet and light, and I need a piece of chocolate every day, the darker the better.....but it seems like it is hiding in everything else I like to eat as well.   And I know it is the worst thing for a Er+ person to like to eat.

• 2timer
    2timer Member Posts: 22

I've been reading parts of this thread for months.  I started anastrozole in March.  I have noticed lately that my hair is thinning in front -- a male pattern not a female one.  Has anyone had any sucess fighting hair thinning/loss while on this drug?  I know hair loss has been discussed but I don't want to go through the entire thread looking for it.  This is a *really* long thread.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

lago is the experience one on hair loss!

• redheaded1,,, what about ER+ and chocolate ????? 

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

I don't recall ever reading anything about ER+ and chocolate.  Another thing I don't plan on giving up (along with my glass of wine with dinner).

• proudtospin

Peggy, then you must love all the Halloween candy!  I am hiding mine from myself as it I do not start I will be fine

• pontiacpeggy

ProudToSpin, no, I really don't like Halloween candy.  I have 2 pieces of Ghiradelli 72% cocoa chocolate squares at lunch daily.  That's it.  It must be hard if you DO like Halloween candy.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,545

1-2 ounces of at least 70% cocoa dark chocolate a day can help to lower blood pressure! (I can't remember where I read that & please don't correct me if I'm wrong! Winking)

• pontiacpeggy

I wouldn't think of correcting you, Ruth!  

• proudtospin

actually, not to be weird but I am not a candy person, now if I had bought some salty pretzels, life would be tough

last night though, I did have the munchies so I was tempted by the Tootsie rolls in the house, but I was strong

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, I had the munchies really bad last night.  Popped up a nice batch of popcorn on the stove and drowned it quite thoroughly in butter (no salt though) and ate it all with a little bit of help from #1 doggie.  My it was good.  I hardly ever snack at night since it aggravates my GERD but I didn't care last night.

Like you I generally want something salty and I eat very little salt, don't salt my food even.  I like low salt potato chips :)

• proudtospin

I am in the last days of a home improvement project, long time leak in upstairs b'room that needed to be fixed if I ever want to sell the place

so I am blaming all my trips to the HD place on my munchies!  my car is on auto pilot to the HD store.  Not a project I wanted to do but had to and it is almost over~!~

so I blame that on blowing the diet!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, aren't you doing Sandy repairs?  I don't blame you for having munchies.  It's acceptable!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

2timer I do but I had it before diagnosis. Granted it grew back after chemo. It's a bit worse on Exemestane but I'm keeping at bay with Minoxidil. It can take 3-6 months to see new growth. I use the generic at Walgreens but I noticed CVS brand is cheaper so I might try that next.

Readhead I find sugar and especially empty carbs (white food like white bread, pasta, noodles white rice) will pack on the lbs. Try to look at those foods as side dishes. I even made fried rice the other day with brown rice and didn't pack on lbs. Go whole grain when you can. Sugar puts on the belly fat for me.

jeaniebeanie1200 dark chocolate is supposed to be good for you but the sugar in it, not so much. I say in moderation why not. Never heard it being an issue with hormone positive.  Supposed to be good for memory too but you'd have to eat a shit load. linky

proudtospin I do like certain candy but given the choice I rather have food. Rather have Sushi, Chinese, Ribs, clams (fried or steamers) than candy any day.

PontiacPeggy OMG I too have had issues at time with gerd and popcorn. I thought this was odd. I eat it in moderation. I pop mine in a paper lunch back in the microwave with nothing, no butter no salt. You can flavor your popcorn with things other than butter/oil linky  

• pontiacpeggy

lago, no I really couldn't flavor my popcorn with anything but butter.  I have it maybe 3 or 4 times a year.as a treat.  I use very little (1 tsp) oil. But those are good thoughts for those who indulge more often!  I have trouble with GERD whenever I snack after dinner :(

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

BTW I have found Gaviscon works pretty well for gerd. My gastroenterology recommended it. It's not 100% but not bad for an OTC remedy. 

• pontiacpeggy

I use Zantac (generic, OTC) and it seems to work.  But I'll check it out.  Always looking for something helpful.  Thanks, lago!

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

oh I love popcorn. Recently bought an electric popper and use refined coconut oil and non GMO popcorn.  And like Peggy I use butter...grass feed of course.  Peggy I grew up with my mom popping corn on the stove....I can't seem to find the right pan so I just went with the electric popper. 

• pontiacpeggy

Nash, I bought a 4 qt whirly stovetop popper from QVC 10 years ago.  I love it.  I know exactly what is going into my popcorn.  DH likes microwave popcorn but it's way too salty for me.  I'm sure your electric popper does just fine.  I use corn oil and plain ole popcorn.  Amazing what different things we use to pop our popcorn :)

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239

does anyone or has anyone had low back pain with pain radiating into hips? It's mainly with positioning and laying down.. Oh so painful at times.. I've been on arimidex for 2.5 yrs

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,798

I have the Whirlypop on my Christmas list!

B123-I have had a lot of pain in my right hip in the last few months. Doc just did a bone scan and nothing showed up. I'm assuming it is either from arimidex or due to the way I walking after wearing a boot for 8 weeks following foot surgery early this year.

• Bullet
    Bullet Member Posts: 3

thank you for your reply

• pontiacpeggy

FluffQueen01, hope you get one!  I love mine.  

• B123, I also have some hip pain at night if I am lying on my side, I haveonky been on Anastrozal for 10 months!!! It is going to be a very long 5 years for me!  I have not had any problems prior to the start of the med. we also did bone scan and nothing showed up either,,,, another guessing game,,,, so over all of this crap

• B123
    B123 Member Posts: 239

fluff queen and jeaniebeanie, yes it's mostly my right hip. Got me worried but then realized my mid lower back is probably the cause from the arimidex!? It's just shooting pain into the hip.. Not sure what to do with this now?

• pontiacpeggy

JeanieBeanie, I've had that type of hip pain (lying on my side) for years.  My 2 weeks on Arimidex certainly isn't long enough for most side effects to pop up.  Glad that the bone scan was good.  I think we all feel that way - so over it all!

• Redheaded1

Supposedly, cancer cells have more sugar receptors than anything else (unless its estrogen..HAHAHA)   So, the dietitian told me to watch the carbs (pasta bread, sweets), get most of my dairy from fermented products--cheese and yogurt, eat hormone free meats, less processed foods, etc. more veggies. blah blah blah.

But my Onc is a great guy  and on my first visit history the question was--Do you eat chocolate (yes/no)  How Much?  AND I WROTE A LITTLE EVERY DAY.

So he's skimming down the list and nodding his head and he hits that one.  And his head shoots up and we get into a discussion of our favorite chocolates.  He must like it too.

He told me ok, if it is a little bit, but watch the sugar.   ---cause he knew I was upfront about it. and whe we got to alcohol my friend said I liked to drink---(they are totally tetotelors, I have one drink when we eat out 1-2 times a month) and I explained that and  he said a small glass of wine or a mixed drink  was ok, as long as I wasn't doing it to excess.

But that darn glass of wine makes me gain weight more than the chocolate ever did.  I was stressed one week and I had a glass every night till the bottle was gone (I live alone) and I added like 3 lbs in 6 days.....  So we all are different I guess to some degree.

• pontiacpeggy

I've had nothing told to me like that, Red.  I really believe my BC was stress induced.  I've always had microcalcifications but the past 4 years have been awful with my DH.  My wine consumption doesn't seem to add weight.  Pasta certainly contributes but I am very stable and a good weight so likely won't change much of anything.

• Redheaded1

Fluffqueen-did the ortho balance your boot to the shoe you were wearing on the other foot?  I messed my SI joint up horribly in about 3 days of having the boot on.  Dumb tech didn't do it.  My PCP was really pissed.  I was on pain pills and thought I might need PT for it, but I didn't.  He (Foot Doctor) put me in a boot for TENDONITIS--When I confronted them about it, he said he thought that was probably the best way to make me stay off my feet.....  I took the boot off and dropped him as a doctor and the tendonitis went away by guess what---me staying off my feet--which he never suggested at all before he said You'll need to wear a boot for a month..... 

Don't suffer in silence with pain, especially going to the hip---get it checked out.  I've been achy now in the morning, but our weather has turned cold---supposed to get down to 28 tomorrow night. so I kinda blamed the weather.  I just don't want it to be the drug.

• pontiacpeggy

I think you were very restrained, Red.  I'd have murdered that foot doctor by cutting him in itty bitty pieces.  What a jerk.  Our weather has been lousy and getting lousier.  I don't think it's helped a thing.