Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395

thanks Lago and Brookside!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Linda, I had done Fosamax many moons ago for some osteopenia, it did improve my bone density and when I began my AL, all was good.  I had ended the Fosamax after a good 5 years so did not consider it an option to go back on it and my MO did not suggest.  At the end of my 5 years, I did a DEXA and all was fine.  I was religious with Vit D, calcium and changed up my workouts to have more weight bearing stuff so guess it worked out fine. 

I would agree with the doc that says to hold off on the extra pill

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

Been on Aromasin   for almost a week. I was hoping things would improve from the Anastrazole , instead my Carpal Tunnel got so.much worse!  I'm in so much pain. From the first day I took it, my thumb felt strange, Burning and itchy. Now the  whole wrist is painful. I feel very anxious as if I am coming out of my skin. My heart is beating very fast. Most of the  day I have nausea. What the heck is happening to me? 

Sorry for venting.

Mena

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Mena, that's awful! I can't believe you've got such terrible SEs after only a week. Is it possible they'll go away? HUGS!!!!!

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

PontiacPegg,  actually.there is one positive thing.....I lost 2 lbs.  L

• pontiacpeggy

Mena, Well, that's one of looking at things! Fingers, toes and eyes crossed that your SEs disappear FAST!!!

• proudtospin

yeah for loosing 2 pounds but suspect I found them.....a big bag of pretzels attacked me last night~~

scale not good today so more gym time and less munchies time

• pontiacpeggy

Hearing that Mena lost 2 lbs, I grabbed a handful of peanuts that fell out of the sky. I don't usually snack in the afternoon or evening but what was I supposed to do? Let the dog eat them?

• proudtospin

no as I am sure that peanuts are not good for dogs....you had to eat them!

me, I have a nice tomato sauce I made and am trying to tell myself to make it for dinner over fish but really craving some stuffed pasta I have in the freezer......diet would be better with the fish but the pasta is calling my name

• pontiacpeggy

iris, sometimes you just have to answer that call. I believe that when you really crave something that normally you can take or leave, your body may be telling you it needs whatever it is. Indulge once in awhile. Enjoy!!!

• proudtospin

pasta wins tonight but I am adding in my fav...chopped kale so will get my veggies!

enjoy your evening and hope your family is doing well tonight

• debiann
    debiann Member Posts: 447

Mena, are you sure your symptoms are side effects? Many years ago I had very similar symptoms in my wrist that were caused by a pinched nerve. I'm currently going through something similar again only in my foot. This time it was caused by nerve damage from the compression boot used during my recent 13 hour mx and diep recon surgery. The burning and itching you describe sound alot like how damaged nerves react.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

MENA, I hope it's not side effects for you. I also started the Aromasin this week, had no trouble for the first four days but noticed some familiar aches and pains today (reminds me of how I felt on the Arimidex). I'm hoping that I just overdid it today and it's cold out. Time will tell. At least my head is clearer on the Aromasin then it was on the Arimidex. I guess I can deal with the pain as long as I can think straight. My main concern is my hands....I was having trouble writing before and it got better when I was on the holiday from Arimidex. I am a nurse, and although my job does not require me to do many injections, I had not been able to during the chemo and Arimidex (TB tests and flu shots for employees) and I was hoping that the switch to Aromasin would help that. We shall see. Good luck to all of you!

Martha

• pontiacpeggy

Iris,, GOOD! Be sure to top that off with a nice glass of wine and you're set for the evening :) I'm having some frozen teriyaki chicken, garlic bread and wine. This is a new brand of teriyaki chicken. Hope it's good!

• proudtospin

Peggy, sounds good to me, I am unfortunately having one of those nights where I just feel like attacking any and all food~~

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, that I actually don't get. I'm not really into food. Once in awhile I crave popcorn or chocolate. Definitely not a foodie. it must be challenging! Good luck. Just eat away and be good tomorrow :)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Mena be sure to call your MD. Start with your PCP but also inform you MO. That doesn't sound right. BTW I lost 10lbs with the switch. My PCP seemed a little concerned at my yearly visit but this was only the 2nd time I saw her. I let her know I had put on over 10 on Anastrozole. Oh and I love food.

• Cycadmania
    Cycadmania Member Posts: 5

Question...no side effects for two years and now the joint pains in hands and hips have started. Has anyone else experienced this?

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Cycadmania, Did you change brands? I had terrible SE's from the fillers in different brands of the same AI. Dee

• pontiacpeggy

Listening to the ladies here, I asked for and received the anastrozole made by Teva. The comments indicated fewer problems with fillers from this manufacturer. So far so good!

• rosanna123
    rosanna123 Member Posts: 2

I have been on Tamoxifen since the end of 2011, which makes it 3 years. I was switched to Armidex about 2 weeks ago as my blood work came back as post menopausal. I have started to have a lot of anxiety, heart palpitations and have been extremely moody. After having palpitations which felt like skipped heartbeats over the weekend I went off the Armidex. I plan on talking to my oncologist first thing Monday. Has anyone else had this happen when starting Armidex

• Cycadmania
    Cycadmania Member Posts: 5

GG27 Same brand as far as I know unless the pharmacy switched. Pain isn't bad, just noticeable, whereas before there was nothing. My ONC recommended fish oil.

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Cycadmania, I'm not sure then, if you've not changed brands. I have no knowledge whether fish oil will work, but I can't stand the stuff, if I take it I burp fish all day!

(BTW, love cycads!! But I have my own mania, I should have called myself Brugmania!) Good luck, Dee

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Rosanna, I get palpitations when I'm stressed or have too much caffeine in my system.  If you're feeling anxious, perhaps that could be what's causing the flutters.   They're not listed as a side effect of arimidex, but anxiety certainly is.  Of course, any of us changing meds (or simply having had bc) are fully entitled to be anxious, drug or no drug.  Once you've gotten the anxiety under control, chances are the flutters will stop.  I've had a Holter monitor (24 hour heart monitor) a time or two, always found my palpitations were totally harmless.  Nice to know, of course, but didn't do a durned thing to stop them!  Reducing caffeine and stress management did.

• lago

Cycadmania pharmacies change manufacturers all the time. It should say somewhere on the label who is the manufacturer. I know Walgreens switched me once and I complained.

• nge92119
    nge92119 Member Posts: 3

I was diagnosed 21/2 yrs ago with stage one BC, had a lumpectomy and radiation, and have been on anastrozole for about 2 years. At first, it didn't seem to bad but it seems the SE are cumulative. I've had the typical joint pain, arthritis in my right knee has gotten a lot worse, some insomnia, etc but I was managing. Then in the second year I had severe tendonitus in my wrist that came out of nowhere. Four months of splinting and OT treatment took care of it before trigger thumb started. Now the latest - the day of my surgery, my blood sugar was 79. A year later it shot up to 94. Now this year, it has reached 100. I feel like I'm preventing BC recurrence but developing diabetes!

In searching around, I find a few references to increased blood sugar but it seems to be rare. It's not listed as a side effect but I am convinced that this is from the anastrozole! Next week, I see my MO but I'm pretty sure she will say it is from gaining weight and getting older.

Does anyone else find increased blood sugar a SE? If so, will losing weight alone really help if I stay on the anastrozole? I'm willing to try to take off the extra 30 pounds I gained since menopause but I know how hard that will be. Meanwhile, my blood sugar keeps rising...

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I get it from Walgreens because they used TEVA. My last fill I noticed they've changed again. But I've had NO warm flushes either, so I guess it's all goo

• pontiacpeggy

Spookiesmom, I use Walgreens too for my Teva manufacturered anastrozole. I had them put on my record that I was to get it ONLY from Teva. One of the gals here said her pharmacist told she could do that (and it was Walgreens). Glad you're not having issues with the "new" manufacturer!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544

Yes neg, try to lose that weight. That should help with the blood sugar with or without Arimidex. We have a Wednesday Weigh in thread on the fitness forum if you want some weight loss buddies......I need to get a new scale; mine said I gained 4 pounds in 45 minutes this morning!!! Shocked

• lago

nge92119 Some of the SE were cumulative for me. That's why after 3 years I made the witch to Exemestane (Aromasin). I've been on it since April and doing great! I gained weight with Anastrozole. Few pounds every year. In 7 months I lost 10 lbs and pretty close to a normal weight for me at this age. Only need to lose maybe 5 more to be the weight I was before diagnosis but I was in great shape then and premenopausal. Few pounds aren't a big deal. One of the best things you can do to control diabetes (other than diet) is exercise every day.

CVS out here also uses Teva but was told it can change. Where ever you get your Teva you need to put a note. I also had a note when getting at Costco. I would have to check though.