Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Ruth, we must have the same scale....I gained 6 pounds over night, then lost 4 the next day..etc.  Wonderful Walmart scale!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544

Yeah, unfortunately the 45 minute pilates DVD probably did not cause me to gain 4 pounds of muscle!

• proudtospin

gee if it worked that good I would rush out for the DVD!  just got to keep on trucking and be glad that I have not gained weight and the old jeans still fit!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Don't you love "interesting" scales???

• proudtospin

guess I was supposed to buy a better scale?  I have decided to rely on the old "jean" test....if they are tight, stop eating!

• pontiacpeggy

Jeans test doesn't seem to work for me. I can lose 5-10 lbs and still wear the same size jeans. My waist doesn't seem to shrink. I wonder what IS?

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305

I know the anastrazole is causing me to gain weight so I am going to have to exercise more. I can't really eat less. Nonetheless I chose not to exercise today. I hope I change my mind before the day is done. I can see that anastrazole could cause an increase in glucose, simply because of the weight gain. Maybe the threat of that will make me exercise. Hahaha.

• proudtospin

actually, I joined my gym more than 10 years ago because I had so many aches from sitting in the car and driving up and down the highway, when I would get out of the car I could hardly stand up (hour in the car each way to work.)

I joined the gym when it opened near my house and paid an upfront fee to insure my monthly would never go up....and the money I put down insured I would not quit!  It worked and back is better, my doc approves and my monthly gym cost is very low for the area!  The threat of going back to the aches, keeps me working out 

• dunesleeper

I'm considering joining the gym, but I figure I can dance down the basement, bike in front of the tv, and walk in the neighborhood. Until I do some of those things I have to assume I wouldn't go to the gym. I know from experience that the fee won't make me go. I need a kick in the butt.

• Nash54
    Nash54 Member Posts: 699

dunessleeper....I too needed a kick in the butt. I joined the thread on here about posting your daily exercise. Inspired me to step out my front door and start walking. It's the easiest thing we can do. Sure helps with my energy level.

• proudtospin

every one is dif, the important thing is to get a move on it!

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

dunesleeper - I agree this medication makes you gain - and makes it nearly impossible to lose.. I try to do some exercise every day but it only amounts to about 10 minutes a day... I get more exercise on weekends because I am off on weekends and so I walk a lot more.. still, I am steadily gaining weight.. I really never have been this fat before and my fat stomach is disgusting.. My pills have a new manufacturer these past 2 refills and I think it is causing me more aches -joint aches, bone aches, feet aches. I am walking like I am 90 instead of 64... I had that with the old manufacturer but this is worse.. I don't go back to my MO until January -might have to call him if this doesn't calm down.

• MENA1954
    MENA1954 Member Posts: 111

I was wondering" since I want to stop taking the Aromasin..one week on it and my quality of life has declined and go back to the arimidex"  what would be the problem if I didn't take anything for a week and then restart the arimidex?

I don't want to call my oncologist!Mena

• proudtospin

I always vote for calling the MO, likely not a problem but all docs have dif opinions

best of luck

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,544

I didn't gain weight on Arimidex. I didn't lose weight when I was done. I did, however, gain 8 pounds when my DH retired, because he was always wanting to go out to lunch!!! You really have to check your lifestyle & make tweaks where needed. Nash mentioned the Lets Post Our Daily Exercise thread, which is a great place to get you going. As far as the eating part (my downfall) goes, a really good online site I found is loseit.com, it's free. You track your food, calories, it breaks things down nutritionally, and you also can GAIN back calories through exercise. It really works (as does most any other program) if you use it religiously.  

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

I took my second Fosamax dose Saturday morning and happy to report no back pains whatsoever!  YEAH!   Did have some minor heartburn last night, but managed to go back to sleep without taking/doing anything. So far through today no SE.

Question for Fosamax users.   Does taking a tum or two negate the effectiveness of the drug?  I read somewhere that it does, but wondering if true?

• pontiacpeggy

Sherryed, I just check this website Fosamax+Antacids and apparently we can. Just don't take them in that 30 minute period. That works for me. I had sort of wondered but took them anyway.

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

Thanks Peggy.   I did some googling but could not find a response to my inquiry.  I will follow your link.  I did take a couple late one night, but would not do so during the initial period of not eating/drinking.

• pontiacpeggy

I hope the info helps, Sherry.

• rosanna123
    rosanna123 Member Posts: 2

I had an heart ablation two months prior to breast cancer diagnoses, it wad found that I had AVNRT an extra electrical pathway. I haven't had any problems with it while on Tamoxifen but once I switched yo Armidex my heart rate went crazy again, so I'm not going back on it. I looked up side affects and heart problems with palpitations are just yo mention a few. What other meds are there to take?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

rosanna I switched from Anastrozole to Exemesane (generic Aromasin) last April. It's working much better for me. Very few SE. Here is the link on bc.ort http://www.breastcancer.org/treatment/hormonal/aro...

There is also Teslac but I believe that is for advanced stage. Not sure how different it is from the others of if it has been used/approved for early stage.

• Chris13
    Chris13 Member Posts: 112

PontiacPeg--With low grade/stage1/0 nodes and a low oncotype, why did your Onc say you were at high risk for recurrence? (You mentioned this a while back in the threads.)

thanks....

• pontiacpeggy

Chris13, I was quite surprised when my MO thought I was at a higher risk, too. I would guess he feels that anything above an Oncotype of 5 is elevated risk. He did not suggest chemo for me. Perhaps he was thinking that 10 years of AIs would be good with my Oncotype rather than 5. Different standards for chemo and AIs. I specifically asked him about taking AIs for 10 years as I have read some oncs are recommending. Obviously, he's all for it. I was thinking it a good idea, too, when I asked the question. I think he said "higher" risk rather than "high." That would make more sense. I mis-spoke.

• dunesleeper

Ruth, I'm going to try loseit.com. It is downloading on my phone now. I also joined the exercise group here. I didn't exercise today though, except for some cleaning and changing the bed.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

dune sleeper - have you tried wearing a pedometer? That has made a huge difference in my weight loss. I aim for 7500 steps a day and it gets me up and going. Let us know how you are progressing

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

I start my Anastrozole tomorrow morning, wish me luck ladies!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Linda-(at least I think, from a few pages back) I had a dexascan through my PCP office. I was due for one, and also had been on arimidex for about 6 months. PCP office calls and says all good, keep taking calcium and vitamin d. Great! Then I go to my new temporary oncologist who says hey you are osteopenic, and suggest Prolia.

I talked to PCP office who said I had one place that was osteopenic and they didn't think I needed to take meds. This is the same office that two years ago called on the results of that test which were normal,but had dropped and wanted to put me on Actonel. Go figure.

I decided to get the shot. Then The pharmacist in the oncs office came out while I was getting the shot, and told he to make sure I took calcium as prolia can cause a drop in your calcium levels. I just started laughing.

• dunesleeper

I've been considering it Kathy. Any recommendations?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Fluff they make me get my calcium tested before I take Prolia. Granted mine is usually high or high normal so not an issue.

• pontiacpeggy

Puffin, you'll do just fine!