Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• Blownaway
    Blownaway Member Posts: 662

Tarot - I add 250 mg of magnesium to every calcium (Slow Release Citrical) pill I take and no constipation.  A nutritionist told me to do this and it works for me.

For sleeping, I take a 10 mg melatonin and a benedryl at 9 o'clock and that combo seems to help me sleep and still get up at 5:30 in the morning for rads, then work.  I have a prescription for Ambien but only use it when under severe stress - I am very leary of becoming dependent on sleeping pills.

• sherryh16
    sherryh16 Member Posts: 95

Sorry this is so long.

Update on Fosamax.   1st dose had debilitating back pain localized at site of my previous disc surgery last January.  Had taken dose at 7am Saturday and pain came on later that day and latest through Monday pm.  2nd dose had no back pain.  I used my electronic massage machine and heat/ice packs throughout the day of that dose and had no pain.  Did experience some heartburn at times throughout the week.  3rd dose this past Saturday.  In prep for possible heartburn I took a Pepcid before bed on Friday evening.  Took my Fosamax dose at 7am Saturday and have not had any back pain nor any heartburn at all so far.  I think my body has adjusted to it.  Fingers crossed!  Next Saturday's dose I will not do any prep but just take it at 7am and not eat/drink while sitting up for the required timeframe.  Will see if I will be able to endure this medicine.  Hopefully it will do its job.

Been reading through posts re SE of Anastrozole.  I've been on it since 10/1/12 (can't believe its already been 2 years).  At first I had terrible hot flashes.  I mean some seriously dripping wet,--hair (wig) plaster to forehead and neck in wet strings, sweat running down face--hot flashes.  I was taking the medication in the morning following breakfast.  I did the mornings as I was having trouble sleeping following chemo and onc recommended I take it in the morning.  I have experienced some joint stiffness, mostly when first getting up in morning or after having sat for a time.  I call it my duck walk.  20-30 steps and I'm good to go.  I also had experienced some night sweats.  I don't know which is worse the daytime hot flashes or the night sweats; either leaves you wringing wet and just plain uncomfortable. 

To not conflict with Fosamax dose, I have recently switched my Anastrozole to after dinner.  Not sure if this time change has impacted SE or I've just finally grown accustomed to med, but my hot flashes have subsided.  I occasionally have an overall warm up, but no longer the dripping wetness.  My night flashes have also subsided.  Could just be due to weather cool down, but I am pleased to sleep through most of night and not have pj's all clingy and damp.

My weight is up about 20 lbs since diagnosis and I've just purchased a treadmill with goal of getting rid of the flubber.  Look/feel like the Michelin man.  All weight is in the core area.  And I, too, seem to have a sweet tooth.  Always did, but seems more pronounced now.  Don't feel I'm eating any differently or any more than prior to diagnosis, so going with the Al as the cause of weight gain.

Looking forward to the holidays and black Friday sales.  Its during these sales I purchase new wigs / hair topper pieces to cover my poor exposed scalp.  My hair never returned to its pre-chemo condition--it may never.  If at the end of this road, the worse I come out at the other end is a lack of breasts and hair, I can deal with my new normal.  Foobies and no hair.  Ain't cancer great?  I shall fight on.....

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Peggy, I am so sorry to read about your DH. My mom had dementia & it was a very difficult time for the family. As his wife I'm sure you had a very tough struggle with how best to care for him. My dad had a terrible time with the guilt and like you he was the 24/7 caregiver for 4 years. I hope you are able to take some time for yourself at this point, you need to take care of yourself, he will be in good hands. ((hugs)) Dee

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Iris, Ruth, Janis and Dee, Chuck's dementia isn't that pronounced. But his Parkinson's is awful. That's why I can't care for him. He gets up many times a night to pee and cannot get in or out of bed without help (nor pee for that matter). That was what I found so exhausting - total lack of sleep. He is a wonderful man. We've been married 48 years. Where has the time gone. Thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts. They are so appreciated. We'll manage, just sorry that we have to.

• GG27

Peggy, I didn't read earlier about your DH's illness. Sorry to jump to the dementia conclusion firstly and I'm sorry for anyone who has to manage an illness for either yourself or a loved one, but to have both on your plate at the same time seems unfair.

Like you I don't know where the time goes, DH & I have been married for 34 years, which is darn near impossible considering my age!! Loopy Dee

• pontiacpeggy

Dee, as they say, life ain't fair. No sh*t! But we muddle through anyway. Thanks's for the support!

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Well, just checked in to see how everybody is. I'm feeling great. Probably because I'm fat and maybe sassy too. Seriously, this is upsetting to read. But loosing weight I've carried around for 55 years now is daunting. I've done it before and it is way too hard to keep it off. My MO said "give yourself a break" about dieting while I start this first year on Anastrazole. Yikes!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

mimi...take it one step at a time, I know I have.  I have bunches of weight to loose and it sure it hard on the med but, I focus on eating healthy (lots of green food~~) and as much time at the gym as I can manage.  stay positive as the important thing is the kick this dang thing in the ass

ps. I have stayed pretty level on my weight but am now 6+ years out so keep on trucking

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

(((Peggy))) ♥ ♥

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, lago! I need it and appreciate it very much!!!

• Miminiemi
    Miminiemi Member Posts: 260

Peggy - I've just rejoined this group, but Lago's hugs to you prompted me to search a little and get to know you by your writing. Just wanted you to know her hugs to you bring more from a stranger. There are clearly people who care about you.

• pontiacpeggy

Miminiemi, thank you! You're certainly not a stranger - we just have to get to know each other lots better! Where in Iowa are you? My parents were from Monroe & Newton. I have many fond memories of going back to visit my grandmother in Monroe (and vowed to NEVER live in a teeny town - and I don't :) )

Everyone here has been so supportive. It's been an awful time and without the wonderful women here, it would have been far worse. I love you ladies!

• flaviarose
    flaviarose Member Posts: 249

Re; Sleep and sleep aids.

I generally switch around over-the-counter products, and have tried many different things.

Benadryl - helps, after a while it doesn't work as well

Doxylamine - (Unisom) - works, somewhat, but again not good for long term use (my PCP said that it and benadryl are anti-cholinergics and over the long run they can affect cognitive function, not good.)

Zyflammend PM - a good herbal preparation

Melatonin - I take 20 mg. every night to prevent a recurrence of cancer. Strong research supports this.

Cortisol Manager - http://www.amazon.com/Integrative-Therapeutics-Cor... lately I've been taking this and it seems to be helpful

There are a lot of mixed herbal preparations with things like Valerian, Hops, Passionflower, ETc.

tonight I'll take the melatonin, cortisol manager and an herbal preparation. I stopped taking the Unisom because the last few times I took it I woke up with a headache. My PCP prescribed Trazadone which he said was pretty safe, but it didn't work for me. I will take about an hour to fall asleep, wake up 4 or 5 times during the night, and have at least one wakeful period of an hour or more. sigh.

• pontiacpeggy

Flaviarose, how discouraging! I know what a lack of sleep can do since I spent 4 years with DH getting me up 2-5 times a night to get him out of bed, pee and get him back in bed. It's hard. I hope you find something that works for you. HUGS!!!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

pontipeg, sorry to hear about DH's trouble. Take care of yourself too. But we can tell your DH is a good man because he agreed he needed help. Not many men can admit that!

Much love to all.

• pontiacpeggy

MoonFlwr, DH *IS* a good man. He had already decided that he needed to be in a nursing home when I posed it to him. 4 years ago, he decided that, because of his Parkinson's, it wasn't safe for him to drive so he sold his car! He's such a strong man. I'm blessed!

• lago

PontiacPeggy Choosing the nursing home route is always hard but there are times when it is the best choice for both people. He will appreciate when you visit. Not the same as being home of course but as we know life keeps changing things for us. Make sure you keep up with your other friendships too. And if you don't have any make a few new ones. Yeah, it's that important.

• pontiacpeggy

Life certainly does keep changing for us, Lago. While Chuck has been hospitalized and in rehab (and me busily getting radiated), I joined friends for a girls night out - first time EVER that I've done something like this. And I love it. so I have made new friends. It is important. Your suggestion was right on.

No, DH being in a nursing home will not be the same. I'll lose a lot of the companionship we've shared for 48+ years. But on his good days, my "old" DH is there and I treasure every minute of it.

• GG27

Peggy, you just brought tears to my eyes reading your post.... Dee

• Marie715
    Marie715 Member Posts: 9

Question - Has anyone experienced breakouts (pimples) while on Arimidex? I'm wondering if this is happening because my estrogen level is low (a good thing) but my other hormones (the male ones) are still at their normal for me level. I asked my endocrinologist about it but he just scoffed it off.

• pontiacpeggy

Dee, Appreciated. I've certainly shed buckets of tears the past couple weeks. Mostly, I'm okay now. Thank you.

• linda505
    linda505 Member Posts: 395

Peggy- you are in my thoughts and prayers - so tough to go through what we are going through without the added stress and sadness. You are a very strong person.

Marie715 - I am not sure what it causing it but I also have had a few pimples lately. Most show up on my nose. I look so cute with my marge simpson hair and a big pimple on my nose LOL.

I have been taking my arimidex since the middle of September and I take it right after dinner. It doesn't seem to effect my sleep yet. I also take my D3 and calcium at the same time. I also take Magnesium Citrate at that time. My GP said it would help with the constipation that is sometimes caused by the calcium. So far it has. Also you might want to try this to help you sleep - it is a sleep aid for many. The Citrate part is important as it is the most absorb able form. This may be counteracting the arimidex insomnia that seems to effect so many.

• grammakathy
    grammakathy Member Posts: 126

Marie, I have occasional individual bumps appear on my arms that itch and gradually go away

• lago

Marie715 I've developed little pimples on my arms mostly and a few on my face. The switch to Exemestane didn't make a difference. Not sure if it's the drugs or just body changes as I age/now further into menopause caused by chemo.

• pontiacpeggy

Linda, I'm not tough although I try to be. Like all the rest of you wonderful women here, just trying to get through each day in one piece. Some days the pieces don't seem to want to stay glued together. Today they seem to all be sticking. Thank you.!

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Peggy, you are one strong and loving woman. What you're going through makes most of our daily struggles seem so petty. Thinking of you and your DH. Someday we all may face similar challenges. Hugs to you.

Jo, who asked about sleep aids, I tried 600-900 mg of Gabapentin, which also helps with hot flashes supposedly. That worked for a long time. I used Ativan, which worked but my doc didn't want me dependent upon it, altho others have had their docs OK it. I'm now on Clonazepam, which works like a charm. A pretty strong medicine but no side effects for me.. Two Benadryl seem to work if I forget to take my meds on a trip..

• pontiacpeggy

Thanks, WaveWhisperer. You never think you'll be faced with all these tough decisions. You think you might lose your spouse through death but never to a nursing home.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557

Peggy, one thing that BC has taught me is to be grateful for every day of health, for myself and all my loved ones. Life can change in an instant, whether from sudden death to a devastating diagnosis that changes your life forever. Take one day at a time, and do take care of yourself. Vent away when u need to!

• Dogsneverlie
    Dogsneverlie Member Posts: 164

Hi Rosanna: I had some pretty bad mood swings for about three weeks when I first started but they went away - I would ask your MO but probably give it another two weeks to see if things calm down.

• pontiacpeggy

WaveWhisperer, you've got that right. We take good health for granted until you don't have it. I am grateful that my BC seems tamed. And I'm grateful that I still have DH even though he'll be in a nursing home starting tomorrow. I suspect that will be a hard day for both of us. Think of us, please. And don't worry, I'll vent here when I need to. Everyone is so understanding when I've had a bad day (or week or month). Thank heavens! HUGS!!!