Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,542

Being HER2 positive pretty much means that you will need chemo, which is no fun BUT, for most of us, not as horrible as we imagined it would be. I did 5 years of Arimidex with no short or long term problems. The thing about anti-hormonals; you might have no or minimal side effects, but if you have problems you can try another one or even quit at any time.....you don't know how your body will react until you give them a try.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Jerseygirl927 I had osteopenia before chemo. After chemo and 5 months on Anastrozole it got worse but then was stable after 2 years on Anastrozole I was then diagnosed with Osteoprosis in my spine (just over the border). I tried Fosomax but got gerd (no surprise I have a history of that). I had my first Prolia shot in October. I had no SE at all.

BTW I was already doing the extra D, Calcium, power walking and strength training but still got osteoporosis. For some people this works but not for me. Also have a family history of osteoporosis, small frame, Caucasian and a few other risk factors.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

arimidex 18 months now, almost no side effects. Had hot flashes before and they continue. Feel you be one that has few issues!

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Thank you so much for the encouragement aviva! Good to hear. I had terrible SEs from tamoxifen so switched to Arimidex, been on it a week now, just praying it will be better.

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

Those of you have been on Arimidex FOR A MINIMUM OF AT LEAST 8 months (JUNE OF 2014 or earlier)  and experienced a serious side effect--- how long into your treatment did you get and what was your worst side effect?

I'm concerned my blood pressure bouncing around and my chestpain/dizziness may be drug related... If you meet the reference range and had this, can you let me know?

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505

readheaded1 - I meet your criteria. On Arimidex (brand) since Oct 01,2013. Side effect is osteoporosis and some bone/joint pain fairly easy to manage with physical exercise. I read most side effects happen in first 3 months of treatment.

• Redheaded1

Thanks---I have sailed along pretty smoothly until now---not sure if its related or just something new.  The spooky thing is the timing....  I started the drug, and a few weeks in, had some nausea and mild dizziness, but it went away.  Then between Dec. 191 and Jan 2, my doctor had me withhold the drug to see if my ear fullness could be the drug.  I had no ear symptoms until Xmas day, then they returned.  I resumed the drug onJan 2 and on Jan 16th, I had SEVERE dizziness and nausea.  (like the first 3 weeks of drug X 10)

can't seem to get BP to stay where it is supposed tobe.  Either it drops bad when I change positions, or it elevates and stays high....  I withheld the drug Fri and Sat and I feel pretty good and bp is where it should be....Talking to doctor tomorrow I hope.

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Sounds like it's time to see a cardiologist. Did you do the red devil? Left side rads

• cwayman650
    cwayman650 Member Posts: 63

I've been having a terrible time with my hands. When I get up in the morning if they are closed it's hard to open them and if they are flat open, it's hard to close them. They hurt and are stiff I can work it out and use them but they ache all day. I have been on arimidex since late oct. I have a call into the mo but wondered if this is commen. I also have trouble with my knees, ankles and hips. Going up and downstairs is really not so much fun. Thank you.

• spookiesmom

Yes, that's all common to the med. if it's really bothersome you could switch to something else.

• cwayman650

I think I'm about to that point. The triage nurse said something about a course of steroids. The last time I took them they made my joints hurt. Idk. I never dreamed how much my life would change after cancer/ mastectomy. I know, silly me. Really, it's more like Nieve me.

• lago

cwayman650 I didn't have issues as bad as you but I switched to Exemestane (generic Aromasin). I am a little stiff in the fingers and toes when I first get up for 30 seconds but that's it. With Anastrozole, after 2.5 years my back, shoulder and neck hurt so much it hurt to stand up straight. Might be worth trying.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Cwayman650, we really don't know how we'll react to not only the surgeries (which had to be brutal for - twice in 9 days) but also to the AIs. Some people have no problems. I haven't had nor has a good friend who has been on Arimidex for several years. Damn that the steroids seem to cause more problems than they solve. HUGS!!!

• pontiacpeggy

It's amazing how changing from one AI to another can make a huge difference.

• Redheaded1

Spookie--yes  I did the red devil, left side and no respiratory gating, as my breathing pattern wouldn't work with it.  My RO did show me on my scans that there was just a verytiny bit of exposure but that wasn't avoidable. my tumor was on the very upper outer quadrant . Had it been significant, she would have suggested the other option (mastectomy)

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

Cwayman, I'm with you in pain......hands, wrists, hips, knees, ankles, feet. Had the pain on Arimidex, switched to generic Aromasin and it continues. I am trying to use alternative ways to deal with the pain.....exercise, yoga, heat, essential oils. I'm hoping that when winter is over it will subside a bit.

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950

Hello all, I don't post often here but read every day, you gals are a wealth of info for me. I am wondering if you could help me with this ?? I have been on arimidex since May 2013 and some aches and pains but nothing too bad but lately my eyesight has gotten much worse, I am scheduled for an exam next month but was curious if anyone else had this trouble, maybe just getting old?? Ha, I am not diabetic. Thanks in advance, these boards are wonderful

• spookiesmom

Hi! I had to change my rx, just got them yesterday. Left eye was worse than right. They usually do change with each exam, so don't think its the pill

• lago

ndgirl it could be due to dry eye. Meds can dry out your eyes. I thought mine was from chemo but it got worse this year so I assume it's from the meds. Have you tried artificial tears?

• ndgirl
    ndgirl Member Posts: 950

Yes, I do use them, thanks gals.

• Redheaded1

nd girl---is your vision blurry?  I think changes in vision  is a less common discussed side effect., cause I have Fuch's dystrophy and I raised a concern with the MO when he first said ARIMIDEX to no avail.

I think I told you all that I had some concerns with mine and my gut was hurting and my poop was yellow and then I called and left a message with the MO office.  Then I thought maybe the blood pressure shit was related as well.  Today they called and he said to go off it until I see him again.  I said, that's not until March 25--so they moved me to March 3rd, but I get a break----so maybe we will see if my ear stuff goes away, and my headaches go away, etc.......(and if the cancer comes back, I will swear this long break did it....don't you know I will?????)  cross your fingers, your paws, your legs, your eyes, etc...ok???

• cwayman650

Just an update. I went to my oncologist yesterday. He took me of my arimidex. In 2 to 3 weeks, if the symptoms are improved I will start on Aromasin. I sure hope this works. Yesterday was my worst day yet and today isn't looking much better. Pain in my fingers woke me up. I told my husband yesterday that I've had enough fun and decided I was all done with this cancer. I quit. Lol

• Bea2206
    Bea2206 Member Posts: 2

Hi to all! I am new on this forum, I have been reading some of your posts and have found them very interesting. I was diagnosed with BC early 2014; went through all the motions: surgery, chemo, radiotherapy, I finished everything mid-October and since November I have been on Arimidex, which I am supposed to take for 5 years, as I believe is usual. So far, I have to say, I haven't felt anything that has made me think it's caused by Arimidex, except for some terrible hot flashes that are extremely bothersome. But now, after reading about all the side effects some of you are suffering, I got worried. I am wondering whether the pain and discomfort I feel in my right breast -- the one that had the tumour -- comes from Arimidex and not from the radiation as I was told. My surgeon even mentioned that it could be an inflammation of the ribs caused by the radiation treatment and prescribed anti-inflammatory medication... Does anybody feel this too? My breast is also swollen and the tissue feels much harder than the left breast and is very tender. Maybe it is too soon after my radiation treatment (4 months) and this is normal? I would love to hear your experiences!

• lago

Bea2206 that does sound like issues from radiation. Also remember that women who post will have issues. Very few women post who aren't having issues. While I did have some physical issues with Anastrozole they were not as bad as some of those who posted. I was on it for 3 years till I realized I was becoming more and more depressed on the drug. I switched to Exemestane (Aromasin) last April and have only some minor stiffness in my feet for about 30 seconds in the morning.

If you have issues there are other meds to try.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

I've been on Arimidex since July 2012.i have aches and pains all iver. I have trigger fingers, one had a cortisone shot and has helped. The other 2 haven't been hurting too much yet to get one there.

My eyes are another story. I am a type 2 diabetic. But I'm considered to be under excellent control. On meds only so far. My docs are happy. My Opthamalogist says no retinopathy. BUT my cataracts are big enough for surgery. Which is weird because she told me I had them last year but said we wouldn't have to worry about them for a while. Surprise! I didn't think to ask about Arimidex with her. But since i have about 4 appointments coming up I'll ask.

Much love

• Redheaded1

will not be piosting 4 awile  fell and broke my right wrist and chipped 2nd bone in same wrist this a m on black ice at lake trail trying to find a pal's lost dog.  see ortho surg noon tomorrow  99% chance of surgery based on x-rays

• pontiacpeggy

Bummer, Red!! So damned sorry for your rotten luck. HUGS!!!

• ruthbru

Bea, I would bet big money the pain/discomfort you are feeling is from radiation (and from the surgery itself). It will take a long time for it to go away......my breast is still a little achy & I am 8 years out from surgery & radiation, and 2 1/2 years post-Arimidex.

• ruthbru

Youch, Red. That, as the kids would say, sucks!

• pontiacpeggy

Bea, I haven't experienced anything like you are. Since I'm 69 I'm beyond hot flashes. I don't have any pain in my breast from either the lumpy or radiation. I've been on Arimidex since mid-October (the day after my last radiation treatment). I did not have to have chemo which may play a role in your misery. Hopefully you will be able to find out the causes of everything. HUGS.