Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

So far, so good, Peggy. One day a couple of weeks ago, I was congratulating myself on having no issues. The next day, all my joints hurt,. I skipped a pill, then took 1/2 for two days, and all was well. I also dug back out my PT exercises for the bursitis I had in my hip, so the culprit might not have been the pill at all, but cutting back like that did give me a sense of control. Hoping to have no more issues, and very much aware that half a pill is not kosher. April Fool's Day will be my two year anniversary of taking an AI. Only three more to go, unless they change things on us!

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

PontiacPeggy - well, the roads certainly aren't like they are in the U.S.! But, some of the roads are ok. Some really, really bad where you have to make many decisions about losing your car in a car-size pothole or swerving into a semi in the oncoming lane. Or dodging others coming into your lane. Seems normal for people to pass 5 cars at a time, though I have never quite gotten used to that!!! I have done the trip twice now in a Ford Ka! Good thing I am short because I was able to rest more comfortably in the back seat. This time, we are going in a larger, more comfortable vehicle and taking two puppies for company and making a vacation out of it. Since my pulmonary embolism, I don't sit still for more than a couple of hours at a time (to avoid blood clots). Having doglets with us will give me even more of an excuse to exercise - and they are beyond thrilled with the non-stop company of my husband and myself. It is a 50-hour non-stop drive from here, but we are planning on taking about 6-7 days and getting a really good rest every night. No thong and feather dancing for me, ha ha! Laughs and hugs right back at you XXX

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Brookside, are you going to be on AIs for 2 years? I'm either 5 or 10 years - whatever. It's so hard to figure out what are SEs and what are normal aging aches and pains, isn't it? I think the sense of control is probably more important than even the SEs. We have so little we CAN control in this journey. HUGS.

SoLinda, Sounds like you are driving in India (from what I see on TV)! Not sure my nerves would survive. You're a better woman than me. I always stop every 2 hours when travelling by car - I like my potty breaks. Even DH found it good and it was easier on his back. The doggies will certainly make sure you stop often. And they do love it when they have your complete attention non-stop. You're very smart to do the trip in a leisurely (and I use the term loosely given the driving conditions) manner. I'm sure DH would love the thong and feathers danceSinging

• SoLinda

PontiacPeggy - you could be right about driving here is like driving in India, though I haven't been there either! Some of the roads are quite good, but others - a hair raising experience!!! Fortunately, my husband is bald (hair doesn't rise) and is an excellent driver who has made the journey far more times than I have!!! We will try to make it into as nice a trip as possible - barring the fact that I want to have my check-ups as soon as possible! I told my husband I was joking with you all about me not dancing in a thong and feathers this year ... (snork) He wouldn't mind, but I am not up to it Nerdy ha ha

Anyway, gotta go and start planning what things we need to organize before the trip. I will try to remember to pack thong and feathers though Carnaval ends on Wednesday ...

All the best!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

Heh heh. I've found my dogs need a suitcase as big as mine. Toys, blankets, food, water, any meds. Leashes, collars, coats if it's chilly. Grooming supplies.

Then I go pack pretty much the same stuff for me

• pontiacpeggy

SoLinda , I think Spookiesmom is right about the amount "stuff" our pets require. Crates are also a must for us. Good luck on your trip with happy results!

• SoLinda

You are both so right Spookiesmom and PontiacPeggy - I will pack pretty well the same stuff as the dogs! My dogs aren't crate trained though - and they sure don't need any clothing as it is very hot here at this time of year!!! Where I live, it never gets cold. Just rains more and gets more humid ... I still have a lot to organize though as have 4 more dogs which will have to stay at home Sad and some other pets as well. What can I say - I love animals ... and they will be sorely missed. I hope I return home a.s.a.p.!

• pontiacpeggy

It IS hard to leave pets at home. I'm glad you are able to take two with you. HUGS!!!!

• fgm
    fgm Member Posts: 448
    I haven't been at this thread for a while but I thought this might interest some of you. Two years ago I started Anastrozole and then a month or so later I started generic Fossomax for the osteoporosis that I developed. Anyway, for 2 years I was very achy all over. So much so that I felt a lot older then I am. Just standing from a sitting position hurt. I've been having trouble with heartburn and couldn't do a breast MRI so my family doctor took me off the Fossomax 2 months ago and within a week my heartburn went away and so did my aches and pains. I'm still on the Anastorzole and the only problem is stiff fingers when I wake up. Now, he wants to give me Reclast which is an infusion for osteopenia. Has anyone gone on that a drug? Any side effects? He told me I'd be achy for 2-3 weeks which is better than everyday.
  • pontiacpeggy

FGM, how interesting that your aches and pains went away when you went off Fosamax. I find that unexpected. Like you, I'm on both. So far so good. I already had acid reflux and take 2 150mg Zantac each day. I'm really careful about following the directions for the Fosamax and it seems to be okay. No new aches and pains. At 69, already was apt to be a bit creaky getting up in the morning since I apparently don't move during the night plus the pets like to sleep on and next to me making it more challenging to move (I move and they think it's time to get up and 5AM is not when I want to be up!). I'm not familiar with Reclast myself but I believe some of the women here have used it, I'm sure they'll chime in. Good luck! HUGS!

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

mortmain, to your question about yoga: I find it does a lot more than just help flexibility. It helps with posture and balance, and it puts you in touch with your body and soul (at least it does for me). I poo-pooed it for a long time, but after my mastectomy my daughter-in-law told me that her yoga instructor told her that women with breast cancer get lots of benefits from yoga. So I started doing it from time to time, but not regularly, until the past few months. I really enjoy it. It helps me relax and unwind after work, and it helps to loosen up my terribly stiff and sore joints. Many days I try to do a 20 or 30 minute video when I get home from work before dinner.

SoLinda, you have an amazing story! Sending hugs and good wishes to you for your journey!

Martha

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505

I read that yoga is NOT recommended for women to are on AIs and also have osteoporosis: Anyone here with knowledge about this? Please share. Thank you

• pontiacpeggy

NisaVilla, I hadn't heard that. I know my friend who is a yoga instructor is very careful about what she teaches to us ladies of a certain age, making sure we aren't stressing joints, neck and spine. Gentle yoga only. No headstands or backbends. I have osteopenia and intend to stick with my yoga. I believe (don't KNOW) that it is good for the bones as well as the spirit.

Martha, I'm not real faithful yet either with my yoga. I need to get with it. I love how I feel after a session so it's just plain laziness. Glad you're doing so well with it!

• spookiesmom

By my hospital is a yoga center who offers free classes for those in treatment. I never went, spent enough time in the area! But it's an ongoing thing, so would assume it's ok while on AIs.

If that info came from Dr Google, I'd check further. Tai Chi? is supposed to be helpful too

• SoLinda

Thanks, RhodyMMM Martha Smile

Tai Chi and Yoga are both recommended highly by the hospital I am being treated at. However, they provide absolutely no information and there are so many kinds of both ... I managed to find a Tai Chi video on-line especially for people with osteopenia or osteoporosis, but the instructions are actually hard to follow. Do you have any advice on what kind of yoga to try? Now that I am much less stiff and not in pain from the AIs, I would like to try yoga again.

• RhodyMMM
    RhodyMMM Member Posts: 278

I believe that if you are on AIs and have osteoporosis, you need to be very careful with yoga because it can cause stress fractures. I just read that somewhere recently. But gentle yoga should be fine. I was able to find a variety of yoga videos on Amazon.com; if you are an Amazon Prime member you can make a watchlist of free videos which is what I did. I started out with an easy Rodney Yee DVD, it has two different routines, each about 20 minutes long. I like him a lot. It's called Yoga for Beginners. I am also doing a little pilates, I like that too because it has a mix of stretching, flexibility and strengthening.

Martha

• pontiacpeggy

My yoga instructor friend loves Rodney Yee too. Always do GENTLE variety of yoga. And she said never lock your knees (which I tend to do). If you can find an instructor I would recommend a couple of lessons just so you learn to do the poses correctly so they don't stress the joints or body or spine/neck. And if your class doesn't teach you how to do a pose, go someplace else!

• spookiesmom

I have been looking, not real hard, for an indoor pool that has the silver sneaker program. Found it! Now all I need to do is find some kind of swim suit for a flat chest. No floating foobs, pockets, or bras for me.

Any sources

• pontiacpeggy

You don't want a mastectomy suit, Spookiesmom? LandsEnd has them. That's why I ask. You might take a look. Do they make the old-fashioned tanksuits anymore that are perfect for those of us with little or no boobs? I really think LandsEnd would be a good place to start. You can't be the only woman who wants something without enhancements.

• spookiesmom

ok, thanks! That's a starting place. I kind of doubt they'd be happy if I just showed up in t shirt and shorts

• spookiesmom

I just did a quick look at their site. If you buy the deep pink long sleeve swim t, they will donate $5 to BCO!!!!! Wow!!!!

Normally I wouldn't give a "breast cancer awareness" anything a second look, but for BCO that gets serious thought

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

spookiesmom, the LAFitness I go to works with the Silver Sneakers program. Not sure they all do.

I have been on Arimidex for ten months now, after three years on Tamoxifen. After about a month I started to have joint pain that got way worse. I started on a low dose of Cymbalta, which was a godsend. I have little to no joint pain. I do have tendonitis in my wrist and have to wear this splint for three weeks, but I am hoping it is not related. He thought the xray looked like there could be a hairline fracture, but said he would use the same splint and he will check it again in three weeks. Thought it could have been an old injury.

My hot flashes on Arimidex are way better than on Tamoxifen. They were nearly non existent for awhile and I have noticed they have increased a little lately. Im hoping that doesnt last.

I switch around on sleep things a lot also. I have a script for 5 mg ambien. If I take one, I break it in half. It is all I need to get me to sleep for the night. Probably use it twice a week. If I have three nights where I don't sleep well, I take one. Melatonin, I take 3 mg if I use that. I do a calcium/magnesium blend also sometimes.

Im going to have to read up on Melatonin to prevent recurrence. I don't know if I could take 20 mg and still be functional.

• pontiacpeggy

Spookiesmom, I may have to get that pink swimshirt too. I've been thinking about it. Might as well splurge! T-shirt and nylon shorts would work.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 935

Hello all, thought I'd say hI and join this thread as I start arimidex around March 1. Just finished rads. skin is still holding strong (and hopefully will continue ). Am a bit nervous starting arimadex as I have an underlying autoimmune disorder. But am working up the oomph to start back at the gym, and meet with the nutritionist in a week or so. I've been reading and appreciate others comments and insights!

• spookiesmom

Fluff, most everything around here does the silver sneakers. I wanted an indoor pool, so I didn't need to worry about sunburn. I'm not into a gym. If there is a pool, most are outside. All the Ys have them.

I figure a pool would be easier on my creaky joints

• brooksidevt

What is Silver Sneakers? I tried their website, discovered that Curves is a site. Could not figure out, however, whether Silver Sneaks pays or I do, or if it's a joint enterprise?

Peggy, I'll have been on arimidex (with a short and unhappy trial of exemestane) for two years on April Fool's Day. I'm expecting five years. As of our last visit, my onc is not leaning toward ten years, but a lot can happen before then,

• spookiesmom

silver sneakers is a wellness program for those on Medicare. It comes with my Humana Advantage plan, free

• brooksidevt

I have group medical (Aetna) with Medicare as secondary. Either one may or may not cover Silver Sneakers? If it does, I can go to Curves for free?

• spookiesmom

should work! Why not call curves and ask

• pontiacpeggy

Brookside, i get it. That's what I thought you meant but every MO has a different theory of things so thought I'd double check. My MO is considering 10 years but since I've only been on it for 4 months, that's a long ways off :)