Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

Really Peggy?  wow, gonna need some new clothes then.......hmmmmm,

• proudtospin

not sure I was a size 4 when I was 4!

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Of course, Iris. Like we need an excuse. I think I was never a 4 either. Maybe we'll work for a 10 :)

• proudtospin

well a 10 would be an accomplishment but you know clothes these days are sized a tad different~~

actually I am proud that I am wearing the jeans that were a too small last year and now are ok! but they are not a 10!

• pontiacpeggy

I'm proud of you, too, Iris! That's wonderful. Keep up the good work. Way to go!!!

• proudtospin

thanks Peggy, hoping to keep the pounds off now~~no money for new clothes so that is my incentive!  retirement doesn't need the fancy clothes that work did so fine.  You ok?  I have some NE snow to send to you if you like~~I think there is more on the way but I am in denial

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

• proudtospin

love you and do not feel guilty tonight!

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, you're right about retirement and clothes. I live in jeans. And, you may keep your $#%^%^%$ snow. We have 2 feet or so on the ground plus the cold. Not interested in more though guess we're to get 2-3" tonight. And I'm fine, thank you.

Spookiesmom, that's cute!!

• SummerSun
    SummerSun Member Posts: 47

Spookie, that was hilarious!

Reader, I have been taking Arimidex since Dec, 2nd and have not had too many SEs. I am a little stiff In the morning, but that goes away quickly. My MO said that regular exercise would help with the SE, so I have been working out at least 5 times a week since I started taking it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that nothing new pops up. I do have hot flashes, but, I figure I would had had those from menopause anyway. I did experience a decrease in my appetite. No weight loss, but, no weight gain, so I consider that a victory! :-)

I hope all goes well for you and you have minimal SE's.

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

heres me

• pontiacpeggy

HAHAHA!!! Big Bird is one of my oldest son's memes!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

check out the warm and fuzzy thread. Always good for a giggle!

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641

Spookiesmom - love that shirt!

• LW0919
    LW0919 Member Posts: 37

Hi all. I just started taking Anastrozole last night after a little over 1 1/2 years on tamoxifen. I'm a little nervous about the switch. I already have joint pain and have arthritis in my lower spine. I'm not sure I want to experience any more pain. I'm only 43 but feel like I'm 80 most mornings. I'm hoping that I won't have any SE's.

• pontiacpeggy

Wwelcome, LW0919. It must be scary to change from tamoxifen to Anastrozole. However, many of us experience no side effects. You might want to check with your MO or PCP about going on Fosamax or something similar to protect your bones. I know my MO put me on Fosamax at the same time I started Anastrozole. Some of us have had good luck with yoga to ease that lovely morning stiffness. I'm sure other ladies will have lots of hints for you to consider. Many HUGS!!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

There are several women I know that say Anastrozole was easier than Tamoxifen.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I think Arimidex has been easier for me in some ways. My hot flashes are a lot less intense which is a godsend send. The joint paint was worse, but I was able to go back to cymbalta which took care of that for me. I couldn't take that on tamoxifen.

I do have issues with sex. fair amount of pain. i'm doing all the normal stuff. Once things are going it isnt bad. just the start. I am going to demand my ob/gyn give me a lidocaine prescription, and give him the study recently done on using it for breast cancer patients. If he refuses, Im finding a female ob/gyn that gets it.

I feel like my skin has less elasticity...doesnt look as fresh, and some shedding of my hair, but nothing real serious. Just looks like there is more hair in the brush than normal

• cowgirl13
    cowgirl13 Member Posts: 782

fluffqueen, do you have the title for the lidocaine/breast cancer patients article?

Thank you!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 935

Thank you Summer Sun!  I like the decrease in appetite part :) Hope that happens to be a side-effect for me.  I have been told by my oncologist that she would like to see me lose weight, so that's next on the list, including a visit to the nutritionist this week.  I've gotten away with saying I'm not overweight I am undertall (I'm 5 ft. 1") but that's not going to work for me any longer.

For those in the northern climates, I hope everyone is keeping as warm and safe at home as possible.

• LW0919
    LW0919 Member Posts: 37

Thanks. I'm hoping I'm one of those who do better onAnastrazole! I'm not real big on the hair thinning though of it was the extra facial hair that came back after chemo I wouldn't complain. I didn't think to ask my MO but how soon will I start to notice the SE's if any?

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

My hair hasnt so much thinned as it just seems like more hairs are shedding if that makes sense. I dont notice it thinner and I dont have thick hair. Maybe a smidge on the top.

Cowgirl, Here are a couple links.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/824432

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/833669#vp_2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24770139

• pattief
    pattief Member Posts: 11

Hello all!! I have been reading all of your comments but have never posted. I started anastrozole on Feb 10 , 2015 after my hysterectomy. I am glad to hear so many are doing well. My SE is major hot flashes and night sweats, mostly at bedtime. They are becoming unbearable as they wake me up all night long. Not sure if it's the medicine or being forced into menopause that's causing them. Any ideas on how to deal with them? Will they lessen over time? I'm going to call onc today to see what he suggests . I hope there's something as I just started and it will be a long 5 years! Thanks

• pontiacpeggy

PattieF - poor you! I suspect that your hysterectomy is the major cause of your hot flashes, not helped by the anastrozole. Since I'm so far from them (I'm 69), I have no clue what to tell you to do. I know other ladies here will have some ideas. Stay cool (stick your nose out the door, that ought to do the trick Singing). HUGS!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

pattief I never had them real bad (also forced into chemopause) but my hot flashes were always between 2-5am. I wear a sleep mask so I can fall back to sleep. Also know your triggers. For me it's hot peppers. Granted I still eat them because I love spicy food. Also consider putting a fan next to your bed.

I did notice the flashes were less frequent as time went on

• farmerjo
    farmerjo Member Posts: 239

SoLinda...I have been perusing the forums since my diagnosis and have to honestly say your journey has been the most challenging I've seen. Big hugs and kudos to you!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

pattief, my onco put me on 600mg of gabapentin about an hour before bed to control the hot flashes at night. I have tried to quit taking it but when I do I end up being woken up by them every hour or so. HTH, Dee

• pontiacpeggy

Dee, how nice that you have something that works so darned good on your hot flashes!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I hate, hate, hate taking more meds, but you're right Peggy, I love that I have something that controls them. Cheers, Dee

• pontiacpeggy

HUGS, Dee!