Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

Right back at ya Peggy!!

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

Hi everyone, I just posted a separate thread for my question, but maybe you ladies are the best ones to ask.....

Here is a copy of my other post:

"I know there is one woman here (nomatterwhat) who stopped arimidex because her feet were terribly itchy. Just wondering if anyone else has had this funky side effect. My MO said she hadn't heard of it before but acknowledged that nothing is impossible (I love my doc) and suggested that I go off it for a week or two to see if there is a connection. The tops and bottoms of my feet are so itchy, sometimes it looks like a rash, sometimes I see exactly round bumps clearly under the skin and sometimes there is nothing there. It is intermittent but frequent and though it isn't itchy right now it seems to have gotten worse. Wakes me up sometimes in the middle of the night."

Now, faced with the prospect of not taking the medication, my feet are not itchy and I'm afraid to not take the med. I hate cancer.

Jen

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Jenwith4kids are you taking generic? Maybe there's something in the fillers. Also try a different AI. I started on Anastrozole but after 3 years I switched to Exemestane (Aromasin). What a difference. So many SE are now gone. This April will be 1 year on Exemestane.

• Holeinone
    Holeinone Member Posts: 1,418

Jen, I have had itchy feet also, and weird toe fungus........so embarrassing .....try foot spray, it's helped me with both problems.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I think I will definately be taking an AI for at least 6 more years, The new onc I met with today said that while we could look at things next year at five years (3 tamoxifen, 2 AI), the going belief is that the aI results are better and possibly taking them for ten years. He said it is negotiable, balanced with quality of Life, but he is of the opinion that if you arent having major issues such as serious bone loss, etc, keep going.

• Manu14
    Manu14 Member Posts: 36

Jenwith4kids, so glad to read your post about itchy feet, but of course not glad that you're having the problem. I hadn't mentioned anything myself because it seems like such a bizarre symptom. It's not every day, but I've had quite a few where all of a sudden the tops of my feet and lower ankle become intensely red and itchy a couple hours after taking the anastrozole. A few times I took a benedryl to get to sleep. The next morning the feet are much better. i haven't been on anastrozole all that long so just figured it may be one of those passing side effects that goes away with time. I hope so anyway.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

While I haven't experienced itchy feet, I find it a rather bizarre SE. In my very limited medical knowledge, it doesn't seem to make any sense that it would effect the feet? I wouldn't think the feet are an estrogen magnet and that the stoppage of estrogen would make one iota's difference to them.. AI's are certainly strange, aren't they? Thank heavens for benedryl!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

the itchy feet certainly sound like an allergic reaction (me who has a ton of allergies~~) so I do hope you tell the doc, maybe you need to switch the AL?

my allergies never just go away without help but maybe a small claritan would help?

• pontiacpeggy

I agree, Iris. I also have loads of allergies and a love affair with benedryl. It is always possible that one of the "inert" ingredients in the variety of anastrozole HoleInOne is taking could be the culprit and one from a different manufacturer might take care of the problem. Or not :(

• proudtospin

allergies are a pain in the butt and mine pop up any where and everywhere~

by the way I just got an e mail from my former personal trainer.  He did an initial study on LE and several here participated.  Well now he is doing one on stage 2/3 folks, who did chemo and now have neuropathy.  If interested, I will send the flier to anyone.  Tim is great and working on his PHD in physical therapy as it relates to cancer survivors

• pontiacpeggy

That sounds like a great study (and service) your trainer is working on. I'm sure many here will be interested in participating.

(Yeah, allergies are a pain - drug allergies are the worst though :( ).

• proudtospin

oh, I got a couple of med allergies, If you want me to have an asthma attack, just slip an aspirin or maybe an aleve or other NSAID in my tea, call 911 or stick me with an epi pen

• pontiacpeggy

Iris, thank heavens, I'm not allergic to aspirin etc. Just 99.9% of the antibiotics out there. Stinks, doesn't it? Yours is probably more challenging since so many things contain aspirin and NSAIDS. Very scary.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

ok. Just a note on itchy feet. I had the worst itchy feet. Right before I was dx with type 2 diabetes. So at least check your blood glucose before blaming the Arimidex. Otherwise, burning and sharp pain are a form of neuropathy. And yes can be from Arimidex. Much love

• pontiacpeggy

Ah, MoonFlower, that's a good thought. Wouldn't have occurred to me.

• pattief
    pattief Member Posts: 11

Peggy, Lago and Gg27 thanks for the advice. I will definitely ask my dr about the gabapentin. Going to try the fan next to the bed also even though I already keep my window open and the ceiling fan on..lol! My poor husband is always freezing but understands. Hope you all had a wonderful day!

• pontiacpeggy

PattieF, wish I did have suggestions for you. Just hang in there!!! Give DH a hug when you're cool :)

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216

more people with itchy feet! so glad I am not alone. I stopped the arimidex for a test. it has a 50 hour half life so it will be a few days before I see anything. as of right now, i am still a little itchy. i will keep you posted.

• mouse9587
    mouse9587 Member Posts: 29

I was on Tamoxifen for a year & then after having a hysterectomy for uterine fibroids (took ovaries also while in there), I was switched to Arimidex because I was post menopausal. I've been on it 3 months. I'm having terrible joint pain in my hands. It varies during the day: hot prickly sensation, stiffness & swollen feeling, sharp pains, numbness in fingers, loss of strength, deep aching.

I don't see my med onc till early April. How do I know if it's arthritis? Do you think my family doctor should be where I start?

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784

mouse all Als have joint pain as a side effect which depending on the intensity you can take pain killers in my case I would only take narcotics if the pain became unbearable but currently I take ibuprofen 800mg twice a day.

The numbness and prickly sensation can be neuropathy which is also common I take 200 mg of gabapentin twice a day. Consult with your onc and or G

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

Mouse, both your onc and your pcp will want to know about what's going on with your hands, so you could see either one. As your symptoms are likely a side effect of arimidex, I'd start with the onc, the one who prescribed it. You could either schedule an earlier appointment (the April date assumes you have no issues), or call or email your onc. Chances are he'll suggest a two-week holiday from the drug, to see if that helps.

• fluffqueen01

I am wondering how much of this wrist pain I am having is driven by Arimidex. When it was xrayed, they said I have arthritis in my wrists and this tendonitis thing. But a year ago, I had no symptoms whatsoever. Seems too coincidental.

The new onc I am going with also said that he works with his patients on the length of time taking an AI. I had tamoxifen for almost three years, and now arimidex for close to a year. In his opinion, he recommends staying on the AI for several more years. I'm pretty inclined to go with that, especially of I can get the whole sex thing improved.

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

fluffqueen: I was having problems with painful sex too. One of the members of our local support group brought sample lubricant packets to a meeting that she'd gotten from a store, I think she said it was in Wisconsin, called A Woman's Touch Sexuality Resource Center. And she also distributed a booklet she'd gotten there titled Vaginal Renewal Program. The lubricant is called Sliquid Organics, it's glycerine and paraben free, The packet says it's been "blended with certified organic botanical extracts that heal, support and rejuvenate the body". Url for the company is www.sexualityresources.com

They sell several different lubricants. I ordered the sampler kit, so far have used only the Sliquid, used some of the suggestions from the booklet, and have been very satisfied with the results - no pain.

• fluffqueen01

Puff, I'll have to give that a shot, thanks! I'm not ready to give up. It just hurts on entry, but it's real painful. Like I revirginate every time, lol

• Msqueen57
    Msqueen57 Member Posts: 25

Hello ladies:

Just an update. I have been on the Teva brand of Anastrozole for a little over a week and I would say that overall my joint pain is better (not gone but better). I have multiple medical conditions and medications that cause joint pain by themselves. But I will take whatever improvement I can get.

Anyone taking Anastrozole not manufactured by Teva who is experiencing joint pain, it is worth switching to the Teva brand to see if it helps.

Hope everyone is doing well. 🐕🐶🐈🐱🐀

• pontiacpeggy

MSQueen57, good advice. I had read all the postings in this thread before I started Anastrozole and learned that most preferred the Teva brand because it seemed to cause fewer SEs. So when I did fill my prescription, I requested it. So far I've had no issues. Glad the change helped you! HUGS!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Fluff I was having issues with back/neck/shoulder pain on Anastrozole that I didn't even know was from that. When I quit it went away. Has not returned on Exemestane.

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 935

I start Arimidex today and was wondering if anyone remembers whether there was a big difference between taking it at night or taking it in the morning?  I read through everything a while back but can't recall if "many" thought there was a preferable time.  Also, I appreciated the Teva comments and mine is Teva so hoping for the best.

• pontiacpeggy

Reader425, I've always taken mine in the morning after breakfast. That's worked for me. I've had no issues. IIRC, some women had sleep issues and that was one reason I decided on mornings, plus that makes it about the same time everyday. Mine also is Teva. Good luck!