Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

I was told from the beginning 10 years. And that I was high risk to reoccur. I'll take it as long as I can stand it

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

SpookiesMom, That's the attitude!

• dennyvol
    dennyvol Member Posts: 9

Hey all,

Been on Arimidex since Jan 1.  Not too bad, but the nerve pain in my arm, underarm is the only pain that seems pronounced.  I go back to medical oncologist next month, I'm sure because I'm doing pretty well, I'll stay on it.  Does seem hard to lose weight though, and I have warm flashes, but not too bad.  Too afraid to try anything else, but that is an option.  Anybody ever use anything prescription for the joint pain?  I was thinking of maybe trying Gabapentin which I used a few years ago for back pain.  My pain is worse at night, more as the day wears on. 

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

SoLinda so I haven't been back. Squishy is good. This sounds like it could be a cycst!
    -----------------------------------------------------------

NisaVilla my rheumatologist specifically told me to avoid bending at the waist/touching toes. Bending spine is not good for osteoporosis.

Protecting Your Spine

It is important to protect the spine by moving properly during exercise and daily activities. Activities that place stress on the spine can increase the likelihood of breaking a bone. For example, people with bone loss in the spine should not:

• bend forward from the waisttwist and bend at the torso (trunk) to an extreme
    • carry packages that are too heavy
    • bend forward when coughing and sneezing
    • reach for objects on a high shelf
    • do toe-touches, sit-ups or abdominal crunches

For some people with a lot of bone loss, simply hugging a friend or picking up a grandchild can cause a broken bone in the spine. So can sneezing and coughing. To help protect the spine during a sneeze or cough, a person can gently press one or both hands against the chest. This helps prevent bending forward which can place stress on the spine.

If you have osteoporosis and experience back pain, you should see a doctor or other healthcare provider trained to treat osteoporosis. Most healthcare providers will want to check the spine for broken bones. You should also have your height measured once a year and have it written in your patient chart. It is best to do this at the same healthcare provider's office each year. If height loss is equal to or greater than a half inch in one year, it may be a cause for concern. linky

These exercises look good: linky and linky

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

Denny, I use Cymbalta. Its an anti anxiety that has the added benefit of helping joint pain. It helped within a couple days for me. Also took it while I was on taxol, but had to get off of it for tamoxifen as it interacts.

Snookie-my LaFitness has an indoor pool. Pretty popular.

• pontiacpeggy

FluffQueen, that's neat that Cymbalta helped your joint pain. I assume that it isn't an issue right now for you. I'll keep that little factoid filed in the back of my mind. Thanks. HUGS!

• spookiesmom

Did you find out about Silver Sneakers there? I want to do water, I heard it's easier on the joints

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,797

I saw it on the sign on the way out the door. also, go to www.silversneakers.com and you can type in your zip code to get all the locations within ten miles.I just now thought my mom might be able to use it. There is a ymca right by her that has specific classes. one that is a seated and standing yoga, and then flex classes. gives you info on how to get a card on that site too.

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

Iago - thanks for telling me that - I sure do hope it is a cyst ... All the best!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938

The Y's here do have silver sneakers. But I am in the arthritis water aerobics class. They have guidelines so you don't hurt yourself doing the exercises. Most of the people in my class are disabled. 3 or 4 use canes, 2 have walkers and 2 have electric scooters. There is a lift but no one likes to use it. They trudge down the steps or walk the long way to the zero depth entrance. Guess we all have our pride. LOL

• spookiesmom

Yea, the Ys have it here too. But their pools are outside, makes sense here I guess. But I can get sunburned just walking to my car, sure don't want to spend an hour in an outdoor pool. LOL

So this place I found has a HUGE Olympic size indoor pool. Perfect!!!!! They also have a heated theraputic pool for those with arthritis.

I was in the area yesterday, drove in, couldn't figure out where the door was. The pool is THAT big. So will call

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Saw my MO yesterday for first followup after starting my Anastrozole. She was amazed that I've lost 7# instead of gaining weight. Key: using Fitbit One along with app MyFitnessPal and going to LiveStrong classes at the Y, and taking advantage of the variety of classes at the Y.

• pontiacpeggy

Way to go, Puffin! That's wonderful!!! Keep it up. HUGS!

• jennie93
    jennie93 Member Posts: 263

Hooray, Puffin! That is fantastic. And so encouraging. I gained 30lbs on tamoxifen despite doing all those things. My MO was hopeful that the Arimidex would be better. I sure hope so!

• aviva5675
    aviva5675 Member Posts: 836

off topic ladies from all over: anyone know a good realtor in Tucson???

• pontiacpeggy

No, but I have my favorite teacher from high school who lives there. I can ask if you like.

• aviva5675

thanks!

• pontiacpeggy

Aviva, just sent her a message. I'll post when I get an answer. She retired there 20 years ago and loves it. Are you planning on moving there?

• aviva5675

Maybe in a few years, yes. We are both planning to retire from our full time jobs during 2014, and want to try snow birding next winter for a month or two. We visited Tucson many years ago and like it very much. Like Phoenix area but less congested. Too scary right now to just up and move with out trying it first. I think while we are there will check out parts of NV and also around Las Cruces,NM

• pontiacpeggy

Did you retire last year or this year? DH has a step-brother in Phoenix area. Good idea to try out the various areas before jumping in. I'll let you know what I find out.

• Manu14
    Manu14 Member Posts: 36

Puffin - sounds like you're doing everything right for staying fit . . . way to go! I saw that you use a Fitbit. I bought one too. I didn't gain weight while on Tamoxifen, but don't feel sure I'll be as lucky on anastrozole. So far though, the Fitbit is a great motivator for me. I was a few hundred steps short of my goal last night and found myself walking in circles through my living room, kitchen and hallways in my pajamas until I felt the little buzz on my wrist telling me I made it. Then I thankfully plopped in bed.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

morning all, have not been on here for a time (I am really a former aromasin person~~) but was reading up and saw discussion on yoga and swimming~~

love both but can truly say that swimming laps is my very favorite thing to do!  gets all the joints moving and I find if some dang part is crankie.....it gets settled down during laps! it is an indoor gym that I joined years before the dang C thing and is cheaper for me than the other places in the area

highly recommend the pool!  except yesterday as the cold in NJ caused a water main break and no hot water for a day~~
    fixed now so back to the pool today

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

proudtospin I have switched to Exemestane but I still hang out here.

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

lago, the problems of the dif ALs are so similar and the folks I meet on these threads (including you~) are just wonderful and caring

• pontiacpeggy

I'm glad you two are still hanging out here. You have valuable insights into AIs!

• auroaya
    auroaya Member Posts: 784

Hi everyone, I too have joined the Y through their livestrong program which is a 12 week free training class for cancer patients sponsored by Lance Armstrong's foundation. Besides the regular training class during the 12 week program I can use all their facilities and last week I added attending the aquatic aerobics class, I walk with a cane and most of the people in the class are in their "mature" days. I also recommend joining the thread "Let's post our daily exercise" here in BCO where we all encourage each other in our attempts to recover our physiques. We are all different levels of fitness.

So far I haven't seen any change weight wise even though after the stage IV dx I also started eating mostly vegetarian at home (only when I go out once in a while do I indulge in chicken or salmon and even more rarely beef) but even if I don't see a difference in the scale it definitely helps bringing my mood and energy up.

In terms of treatment I've been taking Anastrazole for 2 and half years and the CT scan back in October 2014 showed lesions being healed but the TM's are on the rise. The doctor ordered a PET scan but Medicaid refused to pay so I took a new policy with Obamacare and they also refused the PET until I get a CT and a bone first. I scheduled the CT and the bone scans for next week Wed 25 and /Thurs 26. I am leaving to go to Mexico to visit family on the 27th and when I come back on the 8th of March I will go see the onc on the 10th and by then hopefully the results of the scans will be ready. I am planning on asking to speak to the rad onc and ask him if he doesn't see any new growth on the Ct/Bone scans to please recommend the PET and maybe that way the insurances will pay. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sending all of you with pains and se's thoughts of relief and healing.

Aurora

• pontiacpeggy

Aurora, it's crap that you can't easily get the PET scan you want and need. Have a wonderful, restful (and warm) vacation in Mexico. Come back to positive news. HUGS!!!

• Redheaded1
    Redheaded1 Member Posts: 1,455

solinda---the thong and feathers made me forget all about everything, pretty much---I think we need to scrap the pretty pink breast cancer campaign and incorporate  you WILL beat cancer--you WILL dance topless in your thong with FEATHERS in your hair because----you are a survivor

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 935

Hi everyone, I start arimadex soon and I was wondering if there's a general time frame "when" (if) you all started having side-effects? Immediately? After a few months? I'd appreciate hearing a few others experiences and how you did or are doing.