Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

For Arimidex (Anastrozole) users, new, past, and ongoing

Comments

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Hi Reader Mine started after 3 months. Most of the stiffness was gone after a year except for first thing in the morning for about 30 seconds.

• pontiacpeggy
    pontiacpeggy Member Posts: 6,338

Hi Reader! I've been on Arimidex since October. No SEs thus far. I AM taking Fosamax for my bones (no problem with it). Many women have no side effects, and, of course, some do. If attitude helps in that, mine was and is extremely positive. I'm so glad that there's something I can do to keep BC away. Wishing you good luck with it and think positive!! HUGS!!

• nottoday
    nottoday Member Posts: 81

Hello all,

I just finished 4 rounds of CT, was told radiation was not recommended, and so am about to join you on an AI. I am 57, have great bone density and very little joint pain. I'm so nervous about starting an AI. I worry it's going to age me 10 years overnight. But I'm going to give it my best shot. And I'm looking forward to learning a lot from all of you about managing any SEs, keeping up my bone density and minimizing any joint pain. I do exercise a lot and practice yoga. Hopefully, that will help. Thanks for posting and keeping us newcomers informed.

• pontiacpeggy

Lago, I was stiff first thing in the morning (and the middle of the night) before I started Arimidex - nothing changed after I started it. No better, no worse. Glad that your SEs are under control. HUGS!

• pontiacpeggy

NotToday, welcome. Obviously you're starting Arimidex in great shape bone-wise. That's wonderful. You might inquire about taking Fosamax along with your Arimidex. My MO recommended it. SEs are not a given and I wouldn't anticipate them. If they crop up, you'll find answers and help with them here. I've had no problems so far!. Glad you're all done with your chemo. That must be a huge relief! HUGS!!!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

PontiacPeggy I had to switch though to Exemestane after 3 years though.

• pontiacpeggy

Nice that there are options, isn't it, Lago? Take it you're doing better on it. HUGS!!

• GG27
    GG27 Member Posts: 1,308

I've been on Arimidex (anastrozole) since May, no SE's yet. No joint pain or stiffness, same hot flashes I've had for 5 years. Good luck!! GG

• pontiacpeggy

GG, did you see where you can suffer from hot flashes for 15 years? Maybe Arimidex will shorten that period of time :)

• GG27

oh gawd Peggy, seriously??????? I don't think my husband can put up with me having hot flashes for 15 years!! :)

• pontiacpeggy

Seriously, I just read that this week. Hot flashes were never much of an issue for me since I am always cold - quite the novelty being warm. But I totally get the misery you have. Maybe the Arimidex will make them go away sooner. Fingers crossed!!!

• GG27

Peggy, luckily I'm not miserable with them and I was kinda kidding about DH. He just laughs as I take clothes off & then put them back on. I've gotten used to dressing in layers. I've always been warm blooded or maybe it was just living in a victorian house for so many years that I can't take the heat. GG

• GG27

Peggy, I keep meaning to ask how your husband is doing & how you are doing without him around? GG

• pontiacpeggy

GG, in other words, your Victorian had no heat so you were forced to be warm??????? What a wonderful DH you have. Give him a hug. And I'm glad you're not miserable. You've brightened my evening - thank you!!!

• pontiacpeggy

GG, thank you for remembering and asking. He's doing okay. He alternates between being very lucid and sharp and part of a very unusual fantasy world that is totally real to him. And he'll go from reality to fantasy and back without missing a bit. They are more like hallucinations. But it's all part of the long decline of Parkinson's, sad to say. I'm doing pretty good. Still adjusting to not having him home with me but at the same time very relieved that his care isn't falling on me any longer. I just couldn't do it. I visit him every day. And I've gotten my life going without him. And I've arranged a trip to visit both sons out West this summer - something I could not do with DH. I'm really looking forward to that. Thank you again, GG!!

• GG27

Oh Peggy you are so funny sometimes, you make me laugh out loud. I just walked over to him & gave him a hug & told me that was from Peggy! The look on his face is priceless.... Have a good night and hugs to you, GG

• GG27

We were posting at the same time. Glad you're doing well & that DH is at a good facility and being cared for. It's very difficult thing to have to do. GG

• pontiacpeggy

HAHA! Thanks for passing along my hug! I'd love to have seen his expression.

It WAS a very hard thing to do. But I was totally unable to function I was so exhausted. I miss having him around but I do not miss the care, lack of sleep and stress.

Now give hubby a nice big wet kiss from me! You take care!

• reader425
    reader425 Member Posts: 935

I appreciate the comments so far about SEs. I always do best if try to "expect the best but prepare for alternatives". Peggy, good point about going in positive. GG and Lago, glad you did pretty well also. Appreciate the input. Now if I can just stop eating everything in sight and get back on track that way! Loopy

• pontiacpeggy

Well, good luck with that, Reader! Before I started Arimidex, I had read all the postings here and was getting a bit concerned about SEs. Then I had lunch with a friend visiting from out of town. She's been on Arimidex for several years with no problems at all. That was very nice to know. With that, I put my concerns aside and realized that there are quite a few of us out there who don't have problems; most of us just don't post since we don't need help. You'll do well! HUGS!

• puffin2014
    puffin2014 Member Posts: 979

Manu: I had to laugh, I've done the same thing with my Fitbit - wanted to pass someone on a challenge and walked the circle in the house till I had enough steps to pass her.

• SoLinda
    SoLinda Member Posts: 60

Redheaded1 - thanks for the laugh! Carnaval is over for this year, but there's always the next one for the topless, feather thing (ha ha ha!) I am doing my best to remain a survivor :-)

Reader425 - Ari. SEs for me started after just 2 weeks! Trigger finger in left thumb which didn't go away for a year, virtually non stop hot flashes (and yes, I know someone who has hot flashes now for 17 years ...) oh, and a lot more. I switched to letrozole after two years, but the symptoms remained the same. Quit AIs with Dr.'s blessing after 3 years and 3 months. Can't take tamox. because of a previous pulmonary embolism. And Exem. isn't available here. I hope things go smoothly for you! All the best!

• pontiacpeggy

I think we should all purchase feathers and thongs for next year's Carnaval. I'm sure our partners would be appreciative :) And we can celebrate being alive!

• spookiesmom
    spookiesmom Member Posts: 8,178

you go girl!!!!!

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

gee and I just tossed some leftover mardi gras beads from a New Orleans party, should have kept them

• GG27

I'm gonna need a lot more feathers....

Singing

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432

I'm imagining all our new post-carnavale feathery avatars!

• pontiacpeggy

I'm not sure BCO would be thrilled with those, Brookside :)

• proudtospin
    proudtospin Member Posts: 4,671

I am thinking feathers would be fine but the thongs might be a problem~~not to mention a thong on my chubby body~~

• pontiacpeggy

Nah, don't worry about that, Iris. By next Carnaval we'll all be size 4s!!! (Choke Nerdy)